John DeFilippo fired - joins McCarthy on the PASS list

nj meadowlands

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, jbt said:

that is on the GM too who never got him a running game or a decent defense consistently

For most of his tenure the division was weak, he had the leagues top QB and he couldnt win more than once.  Hes had decent defenses and has had 1000 yard rushers in 06, 07, 08, 09, 13, 14, not horrible.   

Funny, he gets credit for the one SB and no blame for not doing it more than once.  

No on DeFilippo, but I would definitely bring McCarthy in for an interview.
If in his time off McCarthy realizes his offense became stale and he's 
taking steps to modernize I wouldn't be against hiring him.  Andy Reid
did the same thing in KC and look how that's turning out.  You don't blow
off a SB winning HC who had a big hand in developing Rodgers if he's taking
steps to change

Kirk Cousins is 4-24 in his career against winning teams.

I was a DeFilipo supporter but this year is clearly a huge knock on him. I can't imagine anyone hires him as head coach for 2019. Even if this isn't his fault the optics don't work.

If we (god forbid) go with a defensive HC I could see him in the mix for OC though.

55 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Wow.... talk about a fall from grace. A top tier coaching candidate to a guy nobody's going to want to work with.

Zimmer is a great head coach in this league and will likely get the team turned around for January.

Well THAT didn't take long. I knew Zimmer wanted to run the ball more and DeFillipo want to pass more but to actually fire the guy.....wow.

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

steps to change

I don’t like or want McCarthy but it would be foolish not to explore that option. Who are we to be overly selective and arrogant like this organization had a quality football history and isn’t a joke? It has to at least be explored and after Bowles, anyone would be an upgrade. Again, I personally don’t want McCarthy. 

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

steps to change

McCarthy kept Dom Capers as his DC too long and their GM had a run of some bad drafts.  That’s really what did in McCarthy in Green Bay.  If he’s willing to interview you do it to see where he is, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him sit out a year if he doesn’t love any of the available positions.  

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

So when does the coach help the QB vs the QB help the coach? You can't cherry pick things like that. McCarthy is an offensive coach and he led the switch from Favre to Rodgers. He deserves credit of putting Rodgers in a position to be successful... 

McCarthy would immediately become the best HC the Jets have had since Bill Parcells. Are you gonna say no to that? If so your as dumb as dirt. Doesn't matter that the relationship between McCarthy and Rodgers soured, after 10 years? It happens in all fields and doesn't lessen what they accomplished together.

31 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I don’t like or want McCarthy but it would be foolish not to explore that option. Who are we to be overly selective and arrogant like this organization had a quality football history and isn’t a joke? It has to at least be explored and after Bowles, anyone would be an upgrade. Again, I personally don’t want McCarthy. 

Until the Jets start winning. Then you'll love him like the rest of us and you will deny ever saying you didn't want him.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

On topic, Mike Zimmer sucks. 

Go figure his Head Coaching career is starting to mirror his last bosses Head Coaching career, if it werent for a legitimate miracle.

This is what? Two offensive coordinators fired mid season in the last 3 years for Zimmer.  Let’s not forget he fired Norv Turner as well. 

20 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Until the Jets start winning. Then you'll love him like the rest of us and you will deny ever saying you didn't want him.

No way. I’d love if we started winning and to have been wrong about anything with this team. I don’t have an issue owning up to an incorrect stance at all. It’s smart to explore the option and whatever happens happens. I’m not going to act like I have an answer for who the coach should be. 

McCarthy and DeFlippo are two good coaches who haven't updated their offensive systems. A lot of the more successful teams in the last few years have updated the way they scheme and call plays on offense. McCarthy and DeFlippo are stuck in an old way of thinking and playing. They do not run dynamic offenses. Other offenses are leaving these conservative styles in the dust.

Both guys have traits you look for in coaches. They're smart, they command respect, they keep players in check, they're good with the media, they know how to run a team... But if either is hired as a Head Coach they need to bring in an OC with some new ideas. They need to evolve on their playcalling and offensive schemes. If they can do that, they're both going to be successful somewhere again. 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Well THAT didn't take long. I knew Zimmer wanted to run the ball more and DeFillipo want to pass more but to actually fire the guy.....wow.

I started a thread about this last week when I read Zimmer wasn’t happy with him. It’s definitely not a good look for DeFillipo, and I agree with an earlier comment that the bad optic would eliminate him as a HC next year. Who knows with these things, it could’ve simply been a bad fit, but the guy will now have to reestablish himself as a OC somewhere. To me his resume never warranted flavor of the month status anyway. Same with LaFleur. Everyone wants the next McVay, and to be honest, he hasn’t won anything yet either. I’d like to see a Shanahan type come in as a short term HC, establish a system, with a credible staff. Then after a couple of years move him up to oversee the entire operation.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Wow.... talk about a fall from grace. A top tier coaching candidate to a guy nobody's going to want to work with.

Zimmer is a great head coach in this league and will likely get the team turned around for January.

Zimmer is 0-15-1 when the Vikings don't run at least 20 times. That's an indictment of the crappy interior of their oline. The line stinks. Very similar to Darnold & the Jets, they run on 1st & 2nd down, problem is, they can't get yards so Cousins will be in 3rd & long too often, punt too much, D on the field too long & play from behind which they aren't built to do.

Sound familiar? And the Vikings have WAY BETTER WRs than we do. 

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Mike Holmgren only won once with Farve 

He got them to another SB.  He also got Seattle, with a lot less to a SB.  Went to 3 SBs, a lot different story

And this would be relevant if I was calling to hire Holmgren. 

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Zimmer is 0-15-1 when the Vikings don't run at least 20 times. That's an indictment of the crappy interior of their oline. The line stinks. Very similar to Darnold & the Jets, they run on 1st & 2nd down, problem is, they can't get yards so Cousins will be in 3rd & long too often, punt too much, D on the field too long & play from behind which they aren't built to do.

Sound familiar? And the Vikings have WAY BETTER WRs than we do. 

They rushed 21 times last night.  Hard to complain that theyre not running enough when those 21 attempts get you all of 70+ yards and drives are dying

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mike Zimmer is a mad man. I am not saying DeFilippo is a good OC but he did a really good job with Wentz his first two years. This is clearly the case of a head coach in panic mode. 

I still wouldn't mind bringing him in as a OC to work with Darnold. 

Did he do a good job or was it Reich?  Cause he is the one that left and is doing a good job elsewhere. 

I would like to see a HC hiring for the Jets who is/was a former HC. There are no doubt some up and coming coordinators who may turn out to be good HC’s but the Jets have been hiring coordinators since Parcells: unsuccessfully I might add. I’m not all poo ? poo ? on Mc Carthy. 

If you look at his stats, they are very good:

Record: 125-77-2

Post season: 10-8

Super Bowl: 1

Divisional Team Record:

19-7 Bears

18-7 Lions

16-9 Vikings

2006: 8-8

2007: 13-3

2008: 6-10

2009: 11-5

2010: 10-6

2011: 15-1

2012: 11-5

2013: 8-7

2014: 12-4

2015: 10-6

2016: 10-6

2017: 7-9

He's no Vince Lombardi 94-34-6 .738 winning record but you can’t say he hasn’t had a very successful HC career. 

McCarthy 125-77-2.   .618 winning record.

The Jets would be foolish to not give him a good hard look. Many thought Andy Reid was washed up when Philly dumped him.

Andy Reid: 194-122-1  .603 winning record. 

Archived