John DeFilippo fired - joins McCarthy on the PASS list

nj meadowlands

7 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

It sounded like Zimmer was a fly in the ointment, forcing him to put more emphasis on the run game (sound familiar?). Given DeFilippo's history with Wentz, I still wouldn't mind seeing come here as OC. with David Toub as the HC.

THAT would be my Preference. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, varjet said:

If the Jets want a much better team in 2019-a significant improvement over what they have, to take a step forward to possibly playoffs next year-a path is already there:

• McKenzie-GM or President
  • McCarthy-Coach
  • DeFellipo-OC/QBC
  • Rex-DC

Yes, this can seem crazy, but all or individually but be a fast improvement over what the Jets had over the last 4 years.   That is more a reflection of how bad the past few years have been.  

It could be very expensive, which is another reason why it would not happen.

Make Taub the HC & Greg Williams the DC & I'll take it in a Heartbeat.

5 hours ago, nico002 said:

McCarthy could get us to a super bowl too. It’s extremely relevant because you’re criticism of McCarthy is that he only won one super bowl with Rodgers. 

My criticism is the same at all others who have criticized him for exactly that

Perfection enemy of the good. Jets fans too enthusiastic to take wild swings at an unknown in the dim hopes of getting the next McVay rather than hiring an experienced coach whose been “tainted” by a previous dismissal and missing out on the next Pete carrol. 

McCarthy might not be super elite level head coach, but I think people exxagerate how easy it is to win just because they have Aaron Rodgers.

For the majority of McCarthy's tenure, Green Bay's roster was iffy at best, and constructed very poorly.  If your QB is an all time great, your next two best players should t be WR.  

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

McCarthy might not be super elite level head coach, but I think people exxagerate how easy it is to win just because they have Aaron Rodgers.

For the majority of McCarthy's tenure, Green Bay's roster was iffy at best, and constructed very poorly.  If your QB is an all time great, your next two best players should t be WR.  

They were more than iffy, in a shltty division and with more than enough at WR and TE.  No exaggerations needed

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They were more than iffy, in a shltty division and with more than enough at WR and TE.  No exaggerations needed

I don't know what exactly you are saying, but if you are trying to counter my statement by pointing out their strength in the past at WR and TE, that's my entire point. 

If Aaron Rodgers is a top 3 QB all time, your next best position shouldn't be WR/TE if you are trying to build a balanced team.  Outside of QB and WR, the Packers roster has been mediocre at best for years.

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't know what exactly you are saying, but if you are trying to counter my statement by pointing out their strength in the past at WR and TE, that's my entire point. 

If Aaron Rodgers is a top 3 QB all time, your next best position shouldn't be WR/TE if you are trying to build a balanced team.  Outside of QB and WR, the Packers roster has been mediocre at best for years.

QB maybe making those WRs. None of them have done much after leaving GB. The best run team is IMHO the Steelers. Look how they have managed the WR and RB positions. Other than Brown, they let WRs walk seemingly every year, because they understand that Big Ben elevates guys. Same with RB--they know it's not worth RB1 price when their system is build for RB success. This frees up money for other positions.

That, I think, was the Packer mistake. They came in on the wrong side of the chicken-or-egg debate--they should've let Jordy and others walk a long time ago rather than paying WR1 price and trusted their QB to elevate the play of younger guys and freed up money for other positions. Instead, they got fearful that without "weapons" they would be squandering Rodger's prodigious talent--that left them cash poor in other areas. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Are you insane??

A competent coach would have more than 1 SB appearance to show for 10 years of Aaron fcking Rodgers.

McCarthy is Bowles level bad. 

It’s hard to get tova SN even if you have a great QB and you are a good coach.

Brees/Payton

Dungy/Peyton

Shula/Marino

Andy Reid...

its not easy. Momentum swings in football are so massively impactful and they have had a lot of playoff success but have fallen short.

I also think calling him “Bowles bad” is ridiculous 

personally I don’t think the Packers roster was built very good.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Brees/Payton

Dungy/Peyton

Shula/Marino

Andy Reid...

its not easy. Momentum swings in football are so massively impactful and they have had a lot of playoff success but have fallen short.

Personally i think McCarthy sucks and has for a while. 

40 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Brees/Payton

Dungy/Peyton

Shula/Marino

Andy Reid...

Look up.

So Sean Payton and Bill Walsh are just guys too? If you're saying it about McCarthy then you're saying it about any coach who had a HOF QB. How about BB, is he a good coach or is it all about Brady? Or Don Shula, Marv Levy I could go on. All of these JAG Head Coaches who aren't good enough for the Jets I guess.

Bill Walsh won 3 Super Bowls. And he did it as an innovator who changed the game.

Sean Payton helped Kerry Collins to the Super Bowl and Quincy Carter to a 3,000 yard season as QB coach.

McCarthy was a failed OC with the 49ers (the team was 30th in offense under him in 2005) before getting the Packers HC job, where he basically only coached Favre and Rodgers.

You’re trying to compare McCarthy to basically legendary coaches now. Just stop.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No, what I'm saying is I dont agree.  When youre strength is Rodgers, you should load up at WR and TE. 

You know, the same reason everyone says, correctly, that we need to surround Sam with talent at those positions.  

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He "only got to one SB". LOL. What a ridiculous argument people are making.

Shula had Marino for 1000 years. 

ZERO Superbowl wins.

Dungy had Manning forever. 1 SB (in a down year when the Bears with Rex Grossman got in).

Andy Reid, considered a "great coach". O-1 so far.

Flavor of the month McVeigh.....ain't won sh*t yet.

Guys here are reacting to the Patriots. That type of success (or that of Lombardi in the 60s, Cowboys in the 90s etc) takes a ton of Luck and good bounces, lots of circumstances falling the right way, and amazing team building.  Or in the case of the Patriots,  all of the above plus astounding luck stumbling on the GOAT QB, having the guy in front of him getting hurt, and an amazing amount of rule bending and downright cheating.

But seeing a guy with a good track record, a winning resume, and a SB trophy (regardless of who his QB was, even if its prima donna douchebag Rodgers) get dismissed by Jets fans is laughable.  He would be the second best Coach the Jets have ever had.....ahead of Eubank.

Shula is in any and every discussion of the best HCs ever.  He won in a running era with Greise.  Won with a QB who couldnt throw but ran.  Contended with the greatest passer of all time and little else.  Bad analogy, no one anywhere would ever compare him to Shula

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Shula is in any and every discussion of the best HCs ever.  He won in a running era with Greise.  Won with a QB who couldnt throw but ran.  Contended with the greatest passer of all time and little else.  Bad analogy, no one anywhere would ever compare him to Shula

LOL. Marino was Rodgers × 10 and Shula didn't win dick with him in 18(?) years. Its YOUR ARGUMENT. He had the most talented QB of his generation and won LESS than McCarthy did with Rodgers. Don't talk about the labor, show me the baby. 

And talking about 1970s NFL is pointless. Its ancient history. Those guys were smoking during games and selling cars in the offseason. Shula won because the NFL SUCKED back then and he lucked out. Watch a game from pre 1990. Its hilarious. 

But yeah, it's a perfect comparison. Shula/Marino < McCarthy/Rodgers. 

Let me guess, you want a flavor of the month, 30 year old whiz kid....who we'll have to hope has somebody to teach him how to run a training camp, develop a full team game plan, and handle a full roster. And who knows what kind of staff some young guy can put together.... in New York.

19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. Marino was Rodgers × 10 and Shula didn't win dick with him in 18(?) years. Its YOUR ARGUMENT. He had the most talented QB of his generation and won LESS than McCarthy did with Rodgers. Don't talk about the labor, show me the baby. 

And talking about 1970s NFL is pointless. Its ancient history. Those guys were smoking during games and selling cars in the offseason. Shula won because the NFL SUCKED back then and he lucked out. Watch a game from pre 1990. Its hilarious. 

But yeah, it's a perfect comparison. Shula/Marino < McCarthy/Rodgers. 

Let me guess, you want a flavor of the month, 30 year old whiz kid....who we'll have to hope has somebody to teach him how to run a training camp, develop a full team game plan, and handle a full roster. And who knows what kind of staff some young guy can put together.... in New York.

The worst possible argument you could ever attempt is to downgrade Shula.  Pointless only if the argument is clueless.  Shula was a great HC.  Marino was a great QB who played on some bad defensive teams without a running game or WRs.  Hilarious is right.

No offense but to claim that Don Shula won because the NFL sucked is laughable on so many ways, including simple logic, that its hard to stop laughing

You should stop guessing what I want and read what I dont want.  Its not that hard to figure out

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The worst possible argument you could ever attempt is to downgrade Shula.  Pointless only if the argument is clueless.  Shula was a great HC.  Marino was a great QB who played on some bad defensive teams without a running game or WRs.  Hilarious is right.

No offense but to claim that Don Shula won because the NFL sucked is laughable on so many ways, including simple logic, that its hard to stop laughing

You should stop guessing what I want and read what I dont want.  Its not that hard to figure out

Just read through this entire thread, and not once do you say what you want. LOL. Not a mind reader.  Sorry. I just dont think Mike McCarthy is this awful coach that you and others are purporting him to be, and please dont use Packer fan boards as sources, those people are in denial. They think Aaron Rodgers is that aww shucks nice guy he pretends to be in insurance commercials, and will defend their guy until he leaves and then they'll tell you what a self centered, locker room cancer bum he really was all along....

And screw Shula. Guy cheated as bad as Bellichick and was gifted the most Talented QB in the league and didnt win sh*t with him. 

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I started a thread about this last week when I read Zimmer wasn’t happy with him. It’s definitely not a good look for DeFillipo, and I agree with an earlier comment that the bad optic would eliminate him as a HC next year. Who knows with these things, it could’ve simply been a bad fit, but the guy will now have to reestablish himself as a OC somewhere. To me his resume never warranted flavor of the month status anyway. Same with LaFleur. Everyone wants the next McVay, and to be honest, he hasn’t won anything yet either. I’d like to see a Shanahan type come in as a short term HC, establish a system, with a credible staff. Then after a couple of years move him up to oversee the entire operation.

I never wanted him as a HC because of his lack of experience as an OC. The Vikes were his 1st job as OC and he didn't even finish the year. Doesn't look good on a resume.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The willingness to hire retreads is what got the Chiefs Herm Edwards, the Bucs Lovie Smith, the 49ers Chip Kelly, Buffalo Rex Ryan, and Oakland Jon Gruden.

Just sayin’.

Exactly why we shouldn't slam the steel door short on either option: retread or relative unknown. Eliminating half the potential talent pool before we get started is idiocy.

Exactly why we shouldn't slam the steel door short on either option: retread or relative unknown. Eliminating half the potential talent pool before we get started is idiocy.

Agreed, but I’m more than willing to slam the door shut on this particular retread.

John Harbaugh on the other hand...sign me up yesterday.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I get it. His win loss record is really good, and it’s very easy to use it as a argument to hire him. Yet I don’t think it’s one that should be. The argument I would offer is he has never been without an elite QB in his entire career, between Favre and Rodgers. I don’t think it’s fair to bring up his record when those two were injured, but it’s not good. So there’s the crux of the argument with him. Is he a good coach, or one who was extremely lucky to end up working where he did? I’d lean to him being above average, but the way things ended with Rodgers takes some bloom off his rose. If I were his agent, I’d look to pair him with a more veteran laden team, much closer to contention then the Jets. I don’t see him as the guy who’s going to turn a program around. In the end though, who the hell knows? Lol

So this could be a good point but you didn’t answer my question of who do you think the Jets should bring in as a HC. 

I think about it for a second. I’ve hired many people in my day and what do I have to go on when I do that. His past experience, his record,  how well that person interviews and if I think that person will be a good fit for the existing team. 

I don’t know what’s  going to be out there when the Jets are looking for a coach but I wouldn’t pass on McCarthy  without giving him a good hard look.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bill Walsh won 3 Super Bowls. And he did it as an innovator who changed the game.

Sean Payton helped Kerry Collins to the Super Bowl and Quincy Carter to a 3,000 yard season as QB coach.

McCarthy was a failed OC with the 49ers (the team was 30th in offense under him in 2005) before getting the Packers HC job, where he basically only coached Favre and Rodgers.

You’re trying to compare McCarthy to basically legendary coaches now. Just stop.

I'm not comparing McCarthy to anybody. I'll stop responding and wasting my time since your reading comprehension is obviously pretty low.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm not comparing McCarthy to anybody. I'll stop responding and wasting my time since your reading comprehension is obviously pretty low. 

So you didn't list off a bunch of great coaches and suggest I'd reject all of them because they had great QB's?  That wasn't a comparison?

The willingness to hire retreads is what got the Chiefs Herm Edwards, the Bucs Lovie Smith, the 49ers Chip Kelly, Buffalo Rex Ryan, and Oakland Jon Gruden.

Just sayin’.
Mangini to Browns as well.

Carroll and Mangini IMO both were let go too early.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

Are you insane??

A competent coach would have more than 1 SB appearance to show for 10 years of Aaron fcking Rodgers.

McCarthy is Bowles level bad. 

So in other words Don Shula will go down as Todd Bowles level bad? Gotcha. 

Archived