Holy.... Sugar. Williams is the new Mo Wilk

Paradis

1 minute ago, varjet said:
  • On one hand, I wonder whether we could/should rescind his option year and also cut Lee, saving their cap money and starting over. 
  • On the other hand, maybe we keep both of them, who each will be highly motivated, and then move on and hope for trade value/comp picks. This allows the Jets to be competitive next year with players who are motivated for their next contract.  Let another team write those second contracts.

Motivation is only 1 part of the equation. When you suck, you suck. 3rd and 4th years in rookie contracts are crunch time for younger players because the 5th year option isn’t even a guarantee.

Leo and Lee are completely blowing it and banking on idiot Mac resigning them just to save face. Not because they earn it. I’d let them test the market and get a reality check. 

We won’t get comp picks since we will be acquiring more free agents than losing them for the foreseeable future.

I can’t imagine it being worse to spend the money elsewhere. I know we have “too much” as it is but there are bound to be some talented players that we can grab these next 2 offseasons when we have to get to the cap floor for the 4 year period.

This year, the smart money goes to edge rushers, Bell and o-line depth. That’s really all that’s available and even though Bell isn’t ideal, we don’t have much of a choice and need to spend our cap to fill holes so we can draft for the other ones. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Any player that doesn't give 100% effort on every play doesn't deserve a roster spot.  This is disgraceful, especially for a top 10 draft pick.  

Especially when you see fat ole Henry Anderson right next to him hustling, and diving to try and get a piece of the play 

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is 90 % on todd bowles.

Tough to blame Leo when he has watched slobs like mowilk and shle rich get away with everything, then there is revis and the other motley crew.

This team has never had any accountability at all under fake tough guy bowles.  The sooner we lose that clown the better.

His coaching malaise started even in  year one but even worse in year two when guys like mo and shel were given multiple away with permissions from off season works and such.

The worst part is, before Bowles showed up, Richardson and Mo were above average players, Sheldon was known for his high effort and motor. 

And then they quit on the Toilet.....and everyone blamed THE PLAYERS.

Same thing is happening right there in that video. Bowles just stands there, numb and stoic for 4 years. No emotion. Thoughtless,  empty platitudes.  Why SHOULD Leo care if the HC doesn't?

LOL. Bowles. He destroys everything he touches. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

This is disgusting... how does this team not bench people for this kind of effort?? WHAT IS HAPPENING??

#ToddGurley 

He coasted through the entire game and the idiot announcer said he was having a "good game" I about threw my beer into the TV set. Williams would not even get an offer from me if I were GM. He can take a walk, just like he did on that play.

09/28/2018

Bowles gave his thoughts on what makes each captain a leader:

Leonard Williams – “Leonard’s consistent. He’s the same guy every day. He has the energy up front. He doesn’t say a lot, but when he does speak everybody listens because he doesn’t waste words. He has a lot of substance. His work ethic from the spring until now has been great.”

https://nypost.com/2018/09/28/why-todd-bowles-finally-selected-five-jets-captains/

19 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

He coasted through the entire game and the idiot announcer said he was having a "good game" I about threw my beer into the TV set. Williams would not even get an offer from me if I were GM. He can take a walk, just like he did on that play.

That’s why I was confused. He looked terrible in the clips but I heard the announcer say that he had a “good game” so I though I was being overly critical. 

WOW....just WOW...how does a coach look at that clip & not bring that up in a defensive meeting. Do you know what makes superstars in this league, talent 1st & effort 2nd. I can't tell you how many times I've seen dlineman cause fumbles because they don't give up on plays!

If Leo had hustled on that play it looks as though that would have been a helluva meeting! He had a bead right on him if he had taken off hustling to the ball. That is some weak sh*t man!

18 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s why I was confused. He looked terrible in the clips but I heard the announcer say that he had a “good game” so I though I was being overly critical. 

Williams was a dog on that play for sure, but he was in the backfield a good part of the day. He was chasing allen all around,  he fell on his face and missed him every single time but he was at least applying pressure. 

Just now, Barkus said:

Williams was a dog on that play for sure, but he was in the backfield a good part of the day. He was chasing allen all around,  he fell on his face and missed him every single time but he was at least applying pressure. 

This.

No question about him dogging that play. It's inexcusable.

But it's not like that play should define his day. He made a few good plays in the backfield.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Bowles should have walked onto the field and ripped the C off his chest after this play.

IIRC Bowles had the walls of Florham Park painted over - walls that had pictures of individuals - because it's a team sport not for individual blahblahblah...and then had a picture of Leo put up there to go along with past Jets HOFers. Maybe I'm remembering it a little wrong, but it was something like that. 

Edit: yep, the only then-current players were Leo and Enunwa (link

Perhaps the most noticeable change is in the 100-yard hallway that stretches from the locker room to the business lobby, which once featured random shots of Jets fans rooting on their team from their stadium seats. Now, there are life-sized action shots of 26 current and former Jets along with former coach Weeb Ewbank - hand-picked by Bowles, from Mo Lewis on one end to Curtis Martin on the other - highlighting a path down team history.

Of course, Namath is there, right next to defensive lineman Leonard Williams, who along with receiver Quincy Enunwa are the only current players featured.

"They had good action shots," Bowles said with a grin.

Don Maynard is up there, too, as are the likes of Wayne Chrebet, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, Al Toon, Kevin Mawae, and the Sack Exchange, of course, with Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam.

"Walking down the hallway, I think the players, a lot of them are so young that they need to be reminded who was here before them and the history of the New York Jets and how tough and gritty those guys were and what they stood for and how they played," Bowles said. "I think that gets forgotten.

"In order to change some of the culture here and go back to how we were, you have to put up some of those pictures and show that type of atmosphere."

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Careful now...people point to MACC  as a brilliant GM and we need Leo to play well to back up the MACC lovers here.

All fairness, Leo is playing like a JET. Why get hurt in a 4-12 season?

BUT that is Mo Wilkerson reincarnated.

I don’t know about that. I’m not seeing a lot of love for Williams here anymore.I got a lot of grief at the beginning of the year for knocking Leo, and supporting TB. The same way the Viking game made me finally turn on Bowles, I’ve seen a lot of guys finally change their feelings on Leo. You never hear the “double teamed constantly” thing anymore. Most guys here are pretty sharp, and although we may arrive at different times, the majority of us usually get to the same place eventually.

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

Maccagnan should offer him around, hopefully they could get a #2

to replace what we gave up for Darnold

Maybe a team that has a surplus of draft picks AND cap space would consider a 2 or a 3. The $14mil option makes him less attractive but you never know. I’d approach those type of teams first that can burn a pick for a player that may have upside in a new scheme and is still young. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is disgusting... how does this team not bench people for this kind of effort?? WHAT IS HAPPENING??

#ToddGurley 

I remember seeing this live and thinking, he must have just had an impossible angle.  Nope.  Straight doggin it. 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

IIRC Bowles had the walls of Florham Park painted over - walls that had pictures of individuals - because it's a team sport not for individual blahblahblah...and then had a picture of Leo put up there to go along with past Jets HOFers. Maybe I'm remembering it a little wrong, but it was something like that. 

Edit: yep, the only then-current players were Leo and Enunwa (link

Perhaps the most noticeable change is in the 100-yard hallway that stretches from the locker room to the business lobby, which once featured random shots of Jets fans rooting on their team from their stadium seats. Now, there are life-sized action shots of 26 current and former Jets along with former coach Weeb Ewbank - hand-picked by Bowles, from Mo Lewis on one end to Curtis Martin on the other - highlighting a path down team history.

Of course, Namath is there, right next to defensive lineman Leonard Williams, who along with receiver Quincy Enunwa are the only current players featured.

"They had good action shots," Bowles said with a grin.

Don Maynard is up there, too, as are the likes of Wayne Chrebet, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, Al Toon, Kevin Mawae, and the Sack Exchange, of course, with Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam.

"Walking down the hallway, I think the players, a lot of them are so young that they need to be reminded who was here before them and the history of the New York Jets and how tough and gritty those guys were and what they stood for and how they played," Bowles said. "I think that gets forgotten.

"In order to change some of the culture here and go back to how we were, you have to put up some of those pictures and show that type of atmosphere."

WTF?  I did not know this.

I dont think we ever saw Mo dog it that bad.  Yes, he had some bad ones but they were more on the side of; screw this hundredth double team on some meaningless drive down 20-0 with no hope of ever scoring... I'm going to just lay down right here and act like I couldnt get around it.   lol. 

This?  This is the 1st drive of the game vs. a divisional rival, your QB (USC homeboy ride or die) in his first game back vs. their rookie QB, in a revenge match for letting them push your poop in under your roof with Matt frickin Barkley.  I repeat, 1st drive of the game.  

wow unreal

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Damn....and that was a fumble too. If it bounced a different way we could have ended up with the ball (assuming our players actually tried to get near Allen). 

Williams sucked last game, he whiffed on at least two sacks/tackles of Allen, maybe he knew even if he ran he wouldn't be able to bring him down? 

great point...

how do you get through a meeting with that on tape?  What does Prezmal say about it? 

Just now, JiF said:

I dont think we ever saw Mo dog it that bad.   

this entire thread is an optical illusion. Leonard Williams is nowhere near this play it just looks like he's close because of the camera angle.  

https://imgur.com/a/igSdAtk

to summarize Jets fans are complaining about a 310 DT not getting from the B gap to the numbers.  Aaron Donald doesn't make this play. Hewitt and Henry Anderson are far closer to the action and neither get close. 

I don't blame Leo for not busting his ass to the sidelines he's a gap clogging DE 5-tech he's not a sideline to sideline linebacker 

and by the way, the team won. These threads about effort the day after a win are in stupid taste. Enjoy the victory and drink a tall glass of STFU

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

#ToddGurley 

This is the difference between winners and losers, good games from poor games. it's the effort. 

Meanwhile, look at the high effort Luke Kuechly run down Jarvis Landry. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

remember when some of us called the pick underwhelming and mostly everyone called us haters and crybabies, good times. 

I still think the pick was basically the right one for where we were slotted (though a case could certainly have been made for Vic Beasley). 

The real crimes were failing to tank properly the season prior to that draft (like just about every other year, it seems) so that we could have grabbed Amari Cooper.  And later, we should have moved Wilkerson at peak value to avoid the redundancy at the position. 

Even when Maccagnan has done something decent, he f***s other things up so those good things turn out looking bad. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this entire thread is an optical illusion. Leonard Williams is nowhere near this play it just looks like he's close because of the camera angle.  

https://imgur.com/a/igSdAtk

to summarize Jets fans are complaining about a 310 DT not getting from the B gap to the numbers.  Aaron Donald doesn't make this play. Hewitt and Henry Anderson are far closer to the action and neither get close. 

I don't blame Leo for not busting his ass to the sidelines he's a gap clogging DE 5-tech he's not a sideline to sideline linebacker 

and by the way, the team won. These threads about effort the day after a win are in stupid taste. Enjoy the victory and drink a tall glass of STFU

That's what I said above, it looked like an impossible angle but I and you were wrong.  He could have made a play, especially knowing there was a fumble involved.

You can clearly see, in both images, that Leo 100% pulls up and slows down and gives minimal effort to close the gap.  Look at the final still you posted, Leo is upright not trying, everyone else was in running position closed fists leaning forward giving effort, Allen in on the 8 yard line.  Leo 100% could have got there by the time Allen fumbled. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I still think the pick was basically the right one for where we were slotted (though a case could certainly have been made for Vic Beasley). 

The real crimes were failing to tank properly the season prior to that draft (like just about every other year, it seems) so that we could have grabbed Amari Cooper.  And later, we should have moved Wilkerson at peak value to avoid the redundancy at the position. 

Even when Maccagnan has done something decent, he f***s other things up so those good things turn out looking bad. 

We had just got done picking 8 billion DL in a row. Jets were in no position to be ignoring any and all context.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is 90 % on todd bowles.

Tough to blame Leo when he has watched slobs like mowilk and shle rich get away with everything, then there is revis and the other motley crew.

This team has never had any accountability at all under fake tough guy bowles.  The sooner we lose that clown the better.

His coaching malaise started even in  year one but even worse in year two when guys like mo and shel were given multiple away with permissions from off season works and such.

Leonard Williams is a professional athlete and a grown man. Get outta here with this.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We had just got done picking 8 billion DL in a row. Jets were in no position to be ignoring any and all context. 

Perhaps, but had we moved Wilkerson for a 1st this pick would have looked a LOT better. 

BPA in itself isn't a bad strategy if you aren't completely inept at doing everything else, like at picking in Rounds 2-5 or proactively making smart trades that were pretty obvious to many here. 

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At least Beasley would have been a legit edge prospect.  He would have been the first true edge guy drafted in the first since Abraham.  

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps, but had we moved Wilkerson for a 1st this pick would have looked a LOT better. 

BPA in itself isn't a bad strategy if you aren't completely inept at doing everything else, like at picking in Rounds 2-5 or proactively making smart trades that were pretty obvious to many here. 

BPA is a luxury for teams that aren’t completely void of talent. This is why trading down is crucial to a rebuilding team instead of taking “BPA”,without even considering the importance of position, and drafting a player to add to the only strength of the team at that time. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

High picks should be used on skill positions and skill positions only. Honestly probably all 1st and 2nd rounders really. Not to mention that sitting through yet another crappy season just to go BPA for a guy that we had already drafted in 3 of the 4 previous drafts was pointless.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

BPA is a luxury for teams that aren’t completely void of talent. This is why trading down is crucial to a rebuilding team instead of taking “BPA”,without even considering the importance of position, and drafting a player to add to the only strength of the team at that time.  

And trading down only works if you have a pick people want.  No one was trading up for Kevin White. 

Hence, the conversations we've had here about tanking properly.  But when it comes to picking at 6 in that particular draft, I doubt anyone was looking to move up with us.  And if they were, we likely wouldn't have picked up much in the deal.

So it all comes down to who was the correct pick at 6. 

Archived