POLL: How Certain Are You That Bowles Will Be Fired At The End Of The Season?

TuscanyTile2

98 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: How Certain Are You That Bowles Will Be Fired At The End Of The Season?

• I'm positive he'll be fired
    • I'm almost positive he'll be fired but I have a creeping doubt about it
    • I'm not overly confident about which way this goes
    • I'm pretty sure he'll be back next year
    • I'm positive he'll be back next year

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 04:59 AM

2nd option. The more Sam plays especially like he did in the second half, and if we go 6-10 or 7-9 I really think Chris just gives these 2 another year to fix it then see what happens and go from there. 

Although I do believe Macc is safe in any situation. As much as other posters don't want this.

They will fire Bates as the sacrificial lamb, and probably bring in DiPhillipo while keeping Bowles and Mac. I just have no confidence that the Johnsons will fire Bowles. They seem his as a Parcells guy, and I dont think Woody will change his stripes and look for an offensive minded HC. Plus hes too cheap to pay 2 years severance. This board will crash hard on Black Monday when Manish tweets "Jets keeping Bowles. Bates fired...more soon"

I don’t think anyone really knows how much power Chris Johnson has to enact this kind of change, and that’s really something that factors in here. The easiest route for Chris to take is to punt on the problem until Woody gets back. If the Jets go out the next three games and look competent—especially if they nick the Pats in the process—and Darnold continues to play well, you can sell giving Todd another year. The only “reporter” who could lead a public insurrection is Manish, and he’s a Bowles fan, and we know Francesa will take Bowles’ side, as will Jamal Adams. There’s simply not going to be enough public pressure to move him out if the Jets don’t outright embarrass themselves next three weeks. 

If you want to bring Todd back, you could force him to wack Kacy Rodgers, and possibly Bates, as messy as that would be. They could hire Marvin Lewis to be the DC, for instance, and most people would dig that. 

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

They will fire Bates as the sacrificial lamb, and probably bring in DiPhillipo while keeping Bowles and Mac. I just have no confidence that the Johnsons will fire Bowles. They seem his as a Parcells guy, and I dont think Woody will change his stripes and look for an offensive minded HC. Plus hes too cheap to pay 2 years severance. This board will crash hard on Black Monday when Manish tweets "Jets keeping Bowles. Bates fired...more soon"

Another way to look at it: it’s safe to assume that the Jets HC job isn’t exactly a desirable career choice in the first place, and it becomes exponentially less so if Maccagnan stays on as the GM. What established offensive coach is going to come to work for a GM who forced Christian Hackenberg on his HC? So, if you’re lookimg at second tier candidates anyway, are any of those guys realistically better than Todd+ a new DC/OC?

He’s certain to be fired. No doubt whatsoever on my part that he’s kicked out the door on Black Monday.

Maccagnan is the big wild card.

I’d personally love to clean house but I wouldn’t consider it some sort of catastrophic scenario if Macc is retained. To me, so far he’s proven to be a middling GM who was never afforded the opportunity to hire his own HC. He’d have to be the world’s biggest jackass to make the trade up for Darnold and then proceed to totally neglect the offense around him, so I at least have faith that we’ll heavily invest in the offensive side of the ball for the foreseeable future if he remains in charge. 

Bell in free agency and Jonah Williams in the 1st round would be a pretty sweet ass step in the right direction.

I think he’s gone. The only argument that could be made to keep him (which I’m against, so don’t shoot the messenger) was made in a thread when I joined this site on 9/1 this year. We were asked to predict the Jets win loss record this season. If I remember, most were guessing between 3 and 6 wins. There were a few higher, some lower. Most felt given the talent on the team this is right around where we’d be. It was a development year with a rookie QB, and we were one more draft and FA period away from contention.

The fact that the two of them have 2 years left on their contracts and Woody is away and presumably prohibited from being active makes we wonder whether either or both of them will be fired. 

But both of Bowles and Mac are incompetent at their jobs.  Bowles has ineptly selected and supervised his coordinators and been very poor at game management, player discipline and player development. 

But other than getting lucky in Darnold, Mac’s record in drafting, extensions and free agent contracts is just as bad as Bowles coaching record, if not worse   

Look at Lee, for example   A joint effort.  Mac selected the undersized LB, and Bowles mismanaged and misused him   What kind of an idiot gets caught doing something he is not supposed to like 4 times?   It was not even performance enhancing.

The right answer is that they both go  

We've probably won our last game of the season.  We are the proud owners of the WORST coach in the league, no clue, no game plan, no adjustments, no discipline, no progress, no accountability, no reason to expect any better performance in the future.  Remember, this team has gotten WORSE as the year has progressed, same as previous campaigns under his "leadership",  what a joke..  So rest easy Jet Nation, this nightmare will soon be over, it has to be.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

We barely beat the terrible Bills... Todd is not running the table so we can stop worrying about it.

Bingo. 

Way too many people are worried about this. If the Jets beat Houston and GB in back to back home games (good luck with that), we can talk about worrying. 

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm choosing the 2nd option "I'm almost positive he'll be fired but I have a creeping doubt about it"

Bowles trying to channel his inner Wayne Fontes and save his job, then light a cigar after another 2 year extension. ?

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Another way to look at it: it’s safe to assume that the Jets HC job isn’t exactly a desirable career choice in the first place, and it becomes exponentially less so if Maccagnan stays on as the GM. What established offensive coach is going to come to work for a GM who forced Christian Hackenberg on his HC? So, if you’re lookimg at second tier candidates anyway, are any of those guys realistically better than Todd+ a new DC/OC?

I would think PLENTY. The Hack drafting will have no bearing on a coach taking the Jets job. Get real.

Suspect he's done. Because in a league that's all about offense Bowles, assuming Bates is a goner, would be on his 4th OC in 4 seasons if he came back. That's not continuity, it's incompetence. Basically screams guy doesn't know dick about offense no matter how you try to sell that. Odd that you would think Bowles like Ryan being defense guys would get what offensive things work and don't work, that it's simply the other side of the coin.  Instead to these guys it's incomprehensible you need to pass the ball effectively to win NFL games. But they're totally myopic.

Sadly however will never count out the Johnsons, which ever is in charge, making the wrong move. Get Woody Johnson in a room with some defense guy babbling about toughness and 110% effort and he gets fully erect. Entirely plausible they like Bowles, and have some pointless change of heart with a new OC like Defillipo. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Defilipo 1. needs  a job and 2. coming off the Vkings/Cousins disaster might work cheap. #2 in very important to the Johnsons. 

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Probably gone but if he is back it will be 100% clear that the people running the show are dumber than lunar rocks and I will most assuredly get banned from this site in short order.

i put nothing past woody & woody's brother with regards to ass backwards decisions/coach bowles.. nothing..

that said, it would be a brutality tough sell to the fan base to bring coach bowles back for reasons to obvious to even go into anymore..

It will be very telling if Defilippo is hired in some capacity with the Jets this week/year- he was bowles first choice after Chan retired and the eagles blocked it...

Good "safe" landing spot, would show bowles still has input

CJ will take the easy way out, Kacy could retire for medical reasons?

Archived