I’m going to get fried but I’m warming up to hiring McCarthy

Patriot Killa

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Browns already have a head start on us. We have to wait until the end of the season to even begin the search.

Not necessarily. The writing is on the wall and I don’t think any team wouldn’t do their due diligence at this point. Same for the coaches looking for jobs, they will want to explore every realistic possibility and they all know that the Jets job will be available. 

Btw, the only thing I don’t agree with in the Cowherd video is his belittling and watering down of Nagy and McVay’s impact. It was kind of moronic when he could of made his point that older coaches still coach great without putting down an 11-2 Rams team and a 10-3 Chicago team when they haven’t been sh*t for years until those two guys came in and changed everything.

he goes on to praise Andy Reid because Doug Pederson won the SB and was his OC but forgets that Matt Nagy was too.

Just felt like he lost some credibility there. He’s right that McCarthy can coach football though.

39 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Aaron Rodgers put the work in but he didn’t get around the steep learning curve of playing QB all by himself.

I have a feeling the Browns might try to scoop McCarthy up. Best believe he will be wanted by teams. Just because JN posters don’t want him doesn’t mean experienced NFL Front Office members won’t. 

He’s legit and it’s rare an established coach shakes loose.

I don’t know about the Browns job. The fans there are really happy with the work Williams and Kitchens are doing. Check out their site. The last thing they’re looking for is a new HC. The game day thread from Sunday (all 5 pages LOL) was a love fest. I won’t even bring up how they feel about you know who, ?

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I don’t know about the Browns job. The fans there are really happy with the job Williams and Kitchens are doing. Check out their site. The last thing they’re looking for is a new HC. The game day thread from Sunday (all 5 pages LOL) was a love fest. I won’t even bring up how they feel about you know who, ?

Who the hell is he? Voldemort lol? Baker is good. Good for them.

Sam has the juice too and with McCarthy and a good OC/QB coach. It’s scary to think about what he could become.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Who the hell is he? Voldemort lol? Baker is good. Good for them.

Sam has the juice too and with McCarthy and a good OC/QB coach. It’s scary to think about what he could become.

I have to be honest. Even though I’m not a fan of McCarthy, I’m surprised how many other guys  don’t want him either. Who knows with these coaches? I just brought up Kitchens and the job he’s done as an OC. Two months ago  I’d never heard of him. @Thai Jet is a big Alabama fan, I wonder if he even knew the guy was coaching in the league before Jackson and Haley were fired?

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I have to be honest. Even though I’m not a fan of McCarthy, I’m surprised how many other guys  don’t want him either. Who knows with these coaches? I just brought up Kitchens and the job he’s done as an OC. Two months ago  I’d never heard of him. @Thai Jet is a big Alabama fan, I wonder if he even knew the guy was coaching in the league before Jackson and Haley were fired?

They’ve done a respectable job. It’ll be interesting to see if they move on or not. John Dorsey makes very straight forward decisions and he doesn’t sway one way to the another very often at all.

Something tells me they contact DeFillippo for QB coach.

on our side of the world, I need to see us go get the guy who is going to give Sam the best shot to succeed because we have no respectable coaches like Kitchens and Williams. McCarthy is too established to not interview him. This organization would be bat sh*t crazy not to call up McCarthy. I’m not really seeing why more posters aren’t wanting to consider him. Any point they make against him doesn’t really feel that well thought out.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m 47 and they haven’t one a super bowl or even a championship since I was ******* born. Every time we get a new coach, GM or QB everyone is all excited and planning their Jets super bowl party just to get kicked in the nuts 3 years later. 

I'm in the same boat, 47 years old and it is Groundhog Day year round.

i'm not claiming i know a thing about mccarthy or if he's a suitable coaching candidate for the jets.  i'm sure a lot of fans were against hiring the bellichicken as coach given his cleveland record and then reinforced that notion after his first season with the patsies.  imo mccarthy fits some of the bill for the next coach.  he's a proven head coach.  he has a winning record, and he's young enough to put in the effort.  he should also be able to attract good up and coming assistants so there could be a nice transition 5 or so years into the future.

9 hours ago, Barkus said:

He is a well established professional coach, with extensive playoff experience and a super bowl ring. Plus he is an offensive minded coach. I'm not totally against him either. This organization is desperate for some leadership and NFL experience. 

I dont want a guy who fills Sam's head with garbage.  I want someone who will focus on letting Sam be Sam.  Not looking for a young Josh McCown.  We won the game the other day because sam improvises and Sam takes risks.  You can play all day but the game often still turns on a few key plays.  We have not had QBs who make those kind of plays.  Rodgers improvises.  Favre improvises.  Mc Carthy would probably let Sam improvise.  I am kind of on the fence about him, but I am getting more and more used to the idea of not going out and looking for the hotshot, first time coach.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Slip up. As I was writing it, I meant to put “HC’s that had great QB that only went to 1 SB” and then add — “or none at all” that is why Andy Reid was listed on there as well with “0-1”. 

My bad.

Shula went to 5.

Won back to back including a perfect season

The Jets are not fixing this in one step.  

They need to reestablish internal and external organizational credibility.  

Someone like McCarthy or Harbaugh are going to improve this team immensely.  

I would go that route rather than trying to find another McVay or Nagy, for now.  Both of those coaches have veteran DCs. 

There are decent candidates starting to surface.  The Jets need to start talking to them 

I think McCarthy needs a year off, - and that could work out  if CJ keeps bowles = LOL

Maybe the extra time GB gave him will be enough time but it seems like he needs to decompress, look at the league and recognize changes in game planning, plus he has been through some drama and was on the job for a while, give it time and pick the right situation - Jets could be a good fit

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

I dont want a guy who fills Sam's head with garbage.  I want someone who will focus on letting Sam be Sam.  Not looking for a young Josh McCown.  We won the game the other day because sam improvises and Sam takes risks.  You can play all day but the game often still turns on a few key plays.  We have not had QBs who make those kind of plays.  Rodgers improvises.  Favre improvises.  Mc Carthy would probably let Sam improvise.  I am kind of on the fence about him, but I am getting more and more used to the idea of not going out and looking for the hotshot, first time coach.

All of the Jets' hires since Parcells have been hotshots. It's been over 20 years since they hired an experienced head coach. Probably the two best in the franchise's history were retreads: Weeb and Tuna. Yeah, Nagy and McVay make the hotshot argument, but then you've got Reid making the experienced hand argument. The Jets are currently in a bad place. Nagy and McVay may be offensive geniuses, but they've each got a defensive superstar on their roster. The Jets don't have that. McCarthy isn't a perfect candidate, but he's a great candidate for the Jets. A guy who's won the Super Bowl. He'd bring legitimacy. 

I agree wholeheartedly, too, that it's about Darnold. McCarthy is a guy who understands that run-run-pass puts your QB in the worst situation. QBs heat up by throwing the football. Having coached improvisers, he'll let Sam improvise.

The problem is that the Jets won't be getting their first choice. It's not the best opening. And McCarthy has already struggled with a weak roster and probably looks at Maccagnan's work and gags.  

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It doesn't matter who the coach is.  We've got people around here telling us that the Quarterback makes the coach successful.  So, it's all on Sam apparently.  Let's see whose career he elevates! 

McCarthy didn't really prove that he could elevate the play of non-HOF QB's in his previous stops.  That's the problem.  It's hard to evaluate a guy whose success stories revolve around Favre and Rodgers.  Unless you want to put stock in that one great game from Matt Flynn, I suppose?

Rodgers just had too many things that are hard to teach from the jump.  And even then, the Packers underachieved. 

I don't think that Rodgers' "success" under McCarthy translates to Darnold. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'd like to hire Reggie McKenzie and let him decide on the coach.

He should know as much as anyone about McCarthy. 

That's a lot of Irishmen though.  

Agreed.  We hire this guy he can do whatever he wants!  Take my lunch money, please!

a0d5e055-8374-4a17-9112-01d54f123e9a-lar

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

At least credit your sources, bro. Wow. Plagiarize much?

Good question 

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What the hell. I literally just wrote this lol — and I did in the other thread too.

Want to believe you 

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Did the OP credit dan marino w/ a super bowl?

Yep, I believe him. 

10 hours ago, Drums said:

All I ever heard was how horrible his in game decisions were and game clock management was terrible (from my Bears fan friend). If that's the case, he's an offensive sided Bowles. Nah, I'm good.

Did your Bears friend also tell you that McCarthy’s career record against the Bears is 19 wins and 7 losses?

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I don’t know about the Browns job. The fans there are really happy with the work Williams and Kitchens are doing. Check out their site. The last thing they’re looking for is a new HC. The game day thread from Sunday (all 5 pages LOL) was a love fest. I won’t even bring up how they feel about you know who, ?

If I were a Browns fan I'd totally agree on keeping Williams as the HC.

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Unless MAC is fired I would be suprised to see McCarthy work under Mac. Just expect the whole crew is coming back minus a few coaches then if Bowles or whoever gets fired we go from there, that's my approach with this team.

No, Bowles isn’t keeping his job. Dunno if you’ve been keeping up with the team because I haven’t seen you post in awhile but it’s just not happening. It’s been Rich Kotite-esque bad

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Btw, the only thing I don’t agree with in the Cowherd video is his belittling and watering down of Nagy and McVay’s impact. It was kind of moronic when he could of made his point that older coaches still coach great without putting down an 11-2 Rams team and a 10-3 Chicago team when they haven’t been sh*t for years until those two guys came in and changed everything.

he goes on to praise Andy Reid because Doug Pederson won the SB and was his OC but forgets that Matt Nagy was too.

Just felt like he lost some credibility there. He’s right that McCarthy can coach football though.

Cowturd is an imbecile but I suspect you already knew that.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It doesn't matter who the coach is.  We've got people around here telling us that the Quarterback makes the coach successful.  So, it's all on Sam apparently.  Let's see whose career he elevates!

Did McCarthy elevate Rodgers or did Rodgers elevate McCarthy? The fact that their relationship soured at the end was more than likely Rodgers being the dick than McCarthy. Maybe McCarthy’s unwillingness to bend was the fact that HE was the HC, not Rodgers, but nobody ever told Arron that simple fact. If at the end of the year, when the Jets look around and see who’s available McCarthy may be the best coach available. But I’m almost positive they will F it up. I’m all in with McCarthy. I’ve watched a lot of GB games through the years. He’s a winning coach  who hasn’t had a loaded team of players on offense or defense. Name a coach with a much better record than what he has and I’ll be willing to jump on the boat.

Archived