I’m going to get fried but I’m warming up to hiring McCarthy

Patriot Killa

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can we please, please consider the following when we evaluate McCarthy?

* As Saints OC from 2000-04, the offense ranked 10th, 13th, 3rd, 14th and 14th in points scored.  Good, not exceptional.

* As 49ers OC in 2005, the offense ranked 30th in points scored and 32nd in yardage.

* In games that Aaron Rodgers has missed, Packers QB's have done the following:

--  Matt Flynn (6 starts):  3-3 record, 86.3 QB Rating

-- Scott Tolzien (2 starts):  0-1-1 record, 61.6 QB Rating

-- Seneca Wallace (1 start):  0-1 record, 64.4 QB Rating

-- Brett Hundley (9 starts):  3-6 record, 67.9 QB Rating

Career record as HC without Rodgers:  6-11-1

I know, I know.  No one should ever expect to do well with a backup QB, especially for teams that don't invest heavily in backups when their starter is HOF good.

But we need to somehow parse out how much of Mike McCarthy's record is credited to Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, and determine whether he is the right candidate for Sam Darnold. 

Given the information we have, I say no, emphatically.

One could argue the fact he won 6 games with those names, is impressive. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There may be many here who don’t want McCarthy as the Jets HC. I respectfully disagree with you. To those who say “Pass on McCarthy” give us your pick on who the next Jets Head Coach should be.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* As Saints OC from 2000-04, the offense ranked 10th, 13th, 3rd, 14th and 14th in points scored.  Good, not exceptional.

* As 49ers OC in 2005, the offense ranked 30th in points scored and 32nd in yardage.

I know, I know.  No one should ever expect to do well with a backup QB, especially for teams that don't invest heavily in backups when their starter is HOF good.

But we need to somehow parse out how much of Mike McCarthy's record is credited to Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, and determine whether he is the right candidate for Sam Darnold. 

To look at it another way, he made Brett Favre and Arron Rodgers great.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can we please, please also consider the following:

Saints starting QBs in 2000 Jeff Blake/Aaron Brooks, 2001 - 2004 Aaron Brooks.

49ers QB in 2005: Tim Rattay and a rookie named Alex Smith.  The year before the 49ers were a 2-14 team, if you look at the 2005 49ers roster, you'd think the Jets now are loaded with studs.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Can we please, please also consider the following:

Saints starting QBs in 2000 Jeff Blake/Aaron Brooks, 2001 - 2004 Aaron Brooks.

49ers QB in 2005: Tim Rattay and a rookie named Alex Smith.  The year before the 49ers were a 2-14 team, if you look at the 2005 49ers roster, you'd think the Jets now are loaded with studs.

Aaron Brooks was one of the worst QB’s I ever seen play football.

9 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Did your Bears friend also tell you that McCarthy’s career record against the Bears is 19 wins and 7 losses?

And? Excuse me for using a guy as a reference that knows more about the Packers than I do. He lived in Minnesota as well. Plus, the Bears hadn't been good in a while up until this point. Their QBs have been terrible. The Lions are overrated. The Vikings are overrated. That hasn't really been a dangerous division. He's not the worst hire but I don't know. Have you ever heard anyone say he out-coached someone?

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is better than Matt LaFleur or DeFillippo.

That's definitely true. I guess we're going for the lesser of evils this year? I think there will be some other interesting candidates that show themselves within the next month or so. I hope.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just amazes me the coaches fans here stick their noses up at. I guarantee you when Andy Reid was let go in Philly, these same fans would whined like little babies had we gone after him.

Theres no perfect coach, hell Parcells made many mistakes here but we're looking for a guy that doesn't need training on the job, can work with a piece of clay QB, holds players accountable, has an offensive background, is well respected & will have no problem putting together a coaching staff, will already have an excellent special teams coach here in Boyer (1 less thing to worry about), has INSTANT CREDIBILITY the 1st day he walks out onto the field at Florham park this spring because he's also got a Super Bowl ring. 

This guy will easily be the best coach here since Parcells. I also believe he could do more developing Sam Darnold than even John Harbaugh could. Whoever he chooses for OC or if he does it himself, he's got years & years of experience and success. 

Maybe Green Bay has struggled because Rogers is going off script TOO MUCH? Has anyone ever thought about that? You look at Tom Brady & he's on script 99% of the time which means there are ZERO SURPRISES and everyone is on the same page. 8 Super Bowl appearances & 5 wins tells you scripts work. Foles was ON SCRIPT, no surprises. You can't expect to win ALL THE TIME throwing Hail Marys in the last 15 seconds.

Had this discussion with a former jet fan that jumped ship when hess sold the jets over the the fvkin patriots!!! Was gushing about TB and the difference between him and rogers. Everyone knows that Rogers is going to do what he wants, ask his fam, ask his team.  thing is, he is so good at football he gets away with it. How long has mcarthy been dealing with that?  has to wear on you as a HC.  

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude, seriously, one of the worst arguments against of all time. 

Do tell, what are the career win-loss records and QB ratings for these QBs without McCarthy? 

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

To look at it another way, he made Brett Favre and Arron Rodgers great.

You asked one of us to name a choice besides McCarthy. I will say Mike Shanahan. Two year contract as HC/GM. This gives him time to assess and develop players here already. While he assembles a coaching staff, he grooms his successor to coach it and employs a scheme to fit his vision of this team. After those 2 years, he moves up to a Director of Operations position, from where he names his handpicked GM who will now have a blueprint on how to move forward.

Hire McCarthy now. He brings credibility and accountability. Ty Montgomery defies his directive and returns a kickoff in the waning minutes of a game, and is immediately traded elsewhere. We need more of that type of no nonsense leadership, and not another "player friendly" head coach. Accountability = Production. Bowles has proven time and again that he does not get the most out of our guys, because he can't hold them accountable.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

Hire McCarthy now. He brings credibility and accountability. Ty Montgomery defies his directive and returns a kickoff in the waning minutes of a game, and is immediately traded elsewhere. We need more of that type of no nonsense leadership, and not another "player friendly" head coach. Accountability = Production. Bowles has proven time and again that he does not get the most out of our guys, because he can't hold them accountable.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Bowles would have promoted Montgomery to starter for that

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Favre won 3 straight MVPs long before he met Mike McCarthy.

But he continued to be successful with McCarthy and he pulled the trigger on Rodgers at the right time which was a very good decision.

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The biggest help for Sam would be to play in a qb friendly of the west coast offense like the packers have run for the past 20+ years

Darnold is a young Favre without the bazooka Favre had

Yeah, I see a lot of Favre in him. All of us grew up big Favre fans. When I first moved to Mississippi, I was in like 3rd grade,. I asked what everyone’s deal was with liking Brett Favre, elementary school teacher goes “well sweetie, he was born 5 minutes from town, he’s a big deal.” LOL.. so I seen a ton and never have seen a player as similar to his playing style as I’m seeing with our very own Sam Darnold.

Sam’s 7 yard TD was soooo Favre-like, lord have mercy. Brett wasn’t as accurate as Darnold but he did have a bigger arm than Sam.

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Favre won 3 straight MVPs long before he met Mike McCarthy.

Favre was great before McCarthy but he was on the downside of his career when McCarthy was hired and McCarthy got him back on track and got GB back on track. After favre helped blow super bowl XXXII GB then went 2-5 in their next 7 playoff games with the only 2 wins in the WC Rd.  They also lost 2 playoff games at Lambeau Field(the first time they EVER lost at Lambeau in postseason in franchise history) and we're 4-12 in 2005, their worst record since 1991 and worst in the favre era.  In that 2005 season favre threw a career high 29 INTs.

Archived