Mike Sheppard

MiamiJet

I know most of you guys have done your homework and researched Mike Sheppard, possibly our new OC.

I posted a topic on a Saints board, BlackandGold.net to get some feedback, and even they seem to know little about how effect his offense can be.

His grade seems to be "incomplete".

Anyway, here is the link to the topic, and here is copy of the responses I received:

http://blackandgold.net/site/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11930&sid=2585ff6d76b58e4fb4e05e18074a1c85

Hey guys,

I could use your feedback on Offensive Coordinator Mike Sheppard.

With Eric Mangini now in as the new Head Coach of the NY Jets, there are rumors about Sheppard possibly being brought in to run the offense.

What do you think of him? I know, being a fantasy football fan, that Duce McAllister missed most of the season, and that Joe Horn was hampered by a bad hamstring/leg. What are your overall thoughts on him, and what did you here about him prior to his arrival in New Orleans?

all we care about is that he isn't part of the saints anymore...

I think the offense was not nearly as predictable as previous years with Mike McCarthy as OC. Now McCarthy is Head Coach of the Pack, good luck to them buddy, I'd take Mike Sherman over McCarthy anyday. I blame McCarthy for the Brooks debacle as well as coach Haslett.

We really didn't get to see Mike Sheppard enough to know, but take a look at the Saints offense this year and get a hint.

MiamiJet, thanks for stopping by.

Damn straight Halo.

Our O was bad this year, but it's hard to say that was shep's fault. I thought the playcalling was a bit better this year. My complaint being that we still NEVER go up top with tons of speed at WR, allowing the D to creep up and lock an already stinky running attack down.

I would say that his effectiveness as a coach is still up in the air. I didn't think Haz deserved a pass because the team played similar to the way they always played under him. I would give Shep more of a pass because he had to deal with the AB downward spiral as well as all the other BS. Jury's still out.

But....I obviously don't know much if McCarthy can get one of the most coveted jobs in the world. Sux, cuz the pack are my #2 NFC team, but I just can't see this going well.

When you lead the league in dropped passes, you don't really get a sense as to what the offense could do under a 1st year OC. However, that being said, the fact that the ball hit so many receivers' hands infers that the passing game should have been at least 40 completions better and a minimum of 500 yards better.

You make 3 more long completions a game and odds are you'll have one or two more scores per game and you'll have a better TOP (which may lead to a better scoring defense).

I was supportive of Sheppard being promoted to OC... and I still am. I had no problem with our gameplan and playcalling last season... actually I thought it was pretty good. We just couldn't execute and that's not Shep's fault.

I have the priveledge (or is it curse :roll: ) of watching most Saints games, and I agree with the incomplete grade. It's really hard to judge him, since a.)his quarterback was sh*t, b.)Deuce missed most of the season, c.)Joe Horn decided to act his age, and d.)he had NO offensive line.

Some of the positives are that Donte Stallworth really emerged as a threat with him as OC, something that never happened under McCarthy. What I didn't like is that he didn't use Antowain Smith enough whenever he was red-hot following the Atlanta game. Smith was tearing it up against Chicago, but then Aaron Stecker started getting fed the ball, and he did absolutely nothing. I don't know if that falls on Sheppard or on Haslett, but either way, it was a horrible move. Ride the hot-hand, particularly when you are dealing with a back-up running back. It wasn't as if they were just giving Smith a breather, he just completely disappeared in that Bears game.

It's really hard to judge Sheppard based on last season. He probably would have had more to work with had he been the 05 Jets offensive coordinator, if you can believe that.

I have the priveledge (or is it curse :roll: ) of watching most Saints games, and I agree with the incomplete grade. It's really hard to judge him, since a.)his quarterback was Sh#t, b.)Deuce missed most of the season, c.)Joe Horn decided to act his age, and d.)he had NO offensive line.

Some of the positives are that Donte Stallworth really emerged as a threat with him as OC, something that never happened under McCarthy. What I didn't like is that he didn't use Antowain Smith enough whenever he was red-hot following the Atlanta game. Smith was tearing it up against Chicago, but then Aaron Stecker started getting fed the ball, and he did absolutely nothing. I don't know if that falls on Sheppard or on Haslett, but either way, it was a horrible move. Ride the hot-hand, particularly when you are dealing with a back-up running back. It wasn't as if they were just giving Smith a breather, he just completely disappeared in that Bears game.

It's really hard to judge Sheppard based on last season. He probably would have had more to work with had he been the 05 Jets offensive coordinator, if you can believe that.

Ah, you were the guy I was looking for. Thanks Troll.

I wanted some feedback from our fellows from Louisiana.

Tell me something. How did Devery Henderson look? I know, as I remakred earlier, about Duce, and Horn having health issues, and I also heard Stallworth showed improvement. What I want to know is if the kid henderson, showed imrpovement.

I'd also like to know how he was utilized. Did NO use three receiver sets, go double tight end often, etc.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how he might use Cotchery and what he may envision for Jolley and Baker.

Thanks again, for the insight.

Ah, you were the guy I was looking for. Thanks Troll.

I wanted some feedback from our fellows from Louisiana.

Tell me something. How did Devery Henderson look? I know, as I remakred earlier, about Duce, and Horn having health issues, and I also heard Stallworth showed improvement. What I want to know is if the kid henderson, showed imrpovement.

I'd also like to know how he was utilized. Did NO use three receiver sets, go double tight end often, etc.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how he might use Cotchery and what he may envision for Jolley and Baker.

Thanks again, for the insight.

I can't really say if Henderson showed improvement, because Haslett left him on the inactive list for his entire rookie season. Why? No one knows. Haslett is just a complete moron.

Henderson did show flashes last season, particularly against Atlanta and Minnesota. Henderson was hot early in the season, but his role diminished once Az Hakim got back from injury. The last 8 games of the season, Henderson caught 8 passes. So, it would be hard to say they got the most out of him, but I don't know if you can blame that on Sheppard, as Haslett obviously had it in for the kid.

Archived