Jump to content
Jetsplayer21

If Mac got his way

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

IMO, can't kill Mac over this.  At the time we had the 6th pick, no one knew we would be able to get Darnold and the QB situation on this team sucked.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I wouldn't have signed Cousins regardless

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If we got cousins maybe he would have used our first and 2 seconds on offensive linemen and had a decent season

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

right.  imo it's great the jets got darnold but it's not like cousins is the only reason the vikings are struggling.  and when the the whole choice between signing cousins versus trading up for darnold they come up about the same as far as cap implications go.  and had they signed cousins they should've been able to draft some pretty good players with the 6 pick of the first and second rounds of the draft.  the bottom line is a cousins signing could have been easily justified so mac shouldn't be getting killed for trying.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would it be the end of mac?

After mo wilk, revis, tru johnson, etc etc etc a huge money bust Fa would be the norm not the exception.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I'm defending Macc b/c I'm at this point I'm on the side of just cleaning house but I would have to think if we had gotten Cousins we would've approached the offseason much differently and been in a more win-now mode, once that plan failed it was all about drafting a QB and building for the future.  At the end of the day though, it shouldn't excuse the complete lack of talent Macc has been unable to acquire in 4 years.  No true #1 Wide Receiver, no edge rusher, a mediocre at best o-line, a mediocre at best secondary in which we overpaid for Trumaine Johnson. 

 

Regardless of how Macc has tried to sell management on his plan the question that ultimately should be asked is how much better are the Jets today then we Macc got here and the amswer is not much at all.  Getting Darnold doesn't excuse that either..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Not that I'm defending Macc b/c I'm at this point I'm on the side of just cleaning house but I would have to think if we had gotten Cousins we would've approached the offseason much differently and been in a more win-now mode

Yes because that plan was executed so well in 2015. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Mac signed Cousins, the would have drafted Quenton Nelson and James Daniels, theroetically, solving much of their OL problems.  

Maybe they draft Rosen or Allen.  Maybe Darnold was there anyway. 

He would have passed on Trumaine Johnson and Spencer Long, hopefully.  Hopefully they would have passed on McCown for $10mm.

Maybe they would have picked someone good with the Seahawks 2nd roundpick.  Derrius Guice?  Brian O'Neill?

My guess is that their record would be about the same, maybe a bit better.  There were good RBs in the second round.  

Maybe they try and draft a QB in the 2019 draft that has a year to develop before Cousins takes off.  Maybe Cousins is stuck because he is uncovered.  

The Jets can be fine with the trade and Darnold if they build smart around him and are able to use the cap space smartly.  

But the Cousins alternative would not have been worse than what they have now and would have help to build overall depth, if Mac did not draft with his head up his rear end.

For those who think 2018 was a good draft, he did draft Nathan Shepherd. over Jerome Baker, Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson, among others.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Almost everyone else would have

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Only those who don't know Cousins HORRIFIC record against teams with winning records.

Another stat posted last night on Twitter....

Monday Night Football record: Cousins 0-7

                                             Sam Darnold 1-0

It seems the brighter the lights get, the WORSE this guy gets, and paying $30 Mill a year for that is insane.

Jets dodged a huge bullet when Cousins turned down Maccagnan's panic "try to save my job" move.  What was the incredible urgency for Maccagnan to sign a big money QB this year anyway?  It's because he waited until the angry roar was deafening until he pulled the trigger on a QB.  Mahomes and Watson were right there at 6 the year before but he KNEW that if he whiffed it was his job.  Much easier to take everyone's consensus pick who unfortunately plays a non impact position.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can kill Mac for this and every other missed draft pick, bad signing, or almost bad signing. It’s his and every other GM and scouts job to be on top of potential draft picks and free agent signings.

We the casual fan only watch so much of every player and team. From the casual to even hardcore fan, Cousins was considered a good not elite qb. 

But here’s where we can kill Mac. Other teams did their research. They spent hours watching coach’s film. They interviewed ex and current teammates and coachss of Cousins. They put a free agent grade on him with a ceiling price tag.

The fact that our GM was willing to give a full 90 guarenteed means:

1. Mac was either unable to see Cousins limitations.

2. Mac wanted a few good years of above average just to save his job, because above average at the Quarterback position is a quantum leap from our annual output.

3. Mac didn’t do his homework and makes decisions as a casual football fan does. “Oh this Cousins has x,y,z stats...our qb had these stats. Ok simple math Cousins is worth an endless salary.”

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:
We can kill Mac for this and every other missed draft pick, bad signing, or almost bad signing. It’s his and every other GM and scouts job to be on top of potential draft picks and free agent signings.
We the casual fan only watch so much of every player and team. From the casual to even hardcore fan, Cousins was considered a good not elite qb. 
But here’s where we can kill Mac. Other teams did their research. They spent hours watching coach’s film. They interviewed ex and current teammates and coachss of Cousins. They put a free agent grade on him with a ceiling price tag.
The fact that our GM was willing to give a full 90 guarenteed means:
1. Mac was either unable to see Cousins limitations.
2. Mac wanted a few good years of above average just to save his job, because above average at the Quarterback position is a quantum leap from our annual output.
3. Mac didn’t do his homework and makes decisions as a casual football fan does. “Oh this Cousins has x,y,z stats...our qb had these stats. Ok simple math Cousins is worth an endless salary.”
 

 


Number 2 is the likely choice. And the problem with this franchise. Its goal seems to be not to suck.

Signing cousins was the fastest way to not be terrible, but he’s not winning a Super Bowl.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stephen Smith is always entertaining. The fact is that Cousins has not been the elite QB that he's being paid to be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Stephen Smith is always entertaining. The fact is that Cousins has not been the elite QB that he's being paid to be. 

 

Did you catch Stephen A. Smith talking about how great off a season Hunter Henry is having and how him vs. Derrick Johnson will be a great match up?

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If we got cousins maybe he would have used our first and 2 seconds on offensive linemen and had a decent season

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

He hasn’t drafted a Offensive lineman before the 6th round in 4 years, what makes you think he would even draft 1 in the 2nd? That must be an all time record of OL Neglect. Especially since the OL has been pretty average since he walked in the door..

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Not that I'm defending Macc b/c I'm at this point I'm on the side of just cleaning house but I would have to think if we had gotten Cousins we would've approached the offseason much differently and been in a more win-now mode, once that plan failed it was all about drafting a QB and building for the future.  At the end of the day though, it shouldn't excuse the complete lack of talent Macc has been unable to acquire in 4 years.  No true #1 Wide Receiver, no edge rusher, a mediocre at best o-line, a mediocre at best secondary in which we overpaid for Trumaine Johnson. 

 

Regardless of how Macc has tried to sell management on his plan the question that ultimately should be asked is how much better are the Jets today then we Macc got here and the amswer is not much at all.  Getting Darnold doesn't excuse that either..

As opposed to the "Win Someday" mode that we're in now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He hasn’t drafted a Offensive lineman before the 6th round in 4 years, what makes you think he would even draft 1 in the 2nd? That must be an all time record of OL Neglect. Especially since the OL has been pretty average since he walked in the door..

"Average" you say?  Surely you jest

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

We can kill Mac for this and every other missed draft pick, bad signing, or almost bad signing. It’s his and every other GM and scouts job to be on top of potential draft picks and free agent signings.

We the casual fan only watch so much of every player and team. From the casual to even hardcore fan, Cousins was considered a good not elite qb. 

But here’s where we can kill Mac. Other teams did their research. They spent hours watching coach’s film. They interviewed ex and current teammates and coachss of Cousins. They put a free agent grade on him with a ceiling price tag.

The fact that our GM was willing to give a full 90 guarenteed means:

1. Mac was either unable to see Cousins limitations.

2. Mac wanted a few good years of above average just to save his job, because above average at the Quarterback position is a quantum leap from our annual output.

3. Mac didn’t do his homework and makes decisions as a casual football fan does. “Oh this Cousins has x,y,z stats...our qb had these stats. Ok simple math Cousins is worth an endless salary.”

 

I'll go with #2 first and foremost.

There is good article Cimini wrote the other day and it quotes an ex-Jet saying the entire operation is basically a scared one with one incompetent after another covering for themselves, and the entire culture needs to be gutted and replaced, no piecemeal get rid of Bowles and keep Maccagnan.

Maccagnan's drafts and Bowles punting 2 scores down, in the opponent's territory 4th Qtr, to dress up a final score loss ALL SCREAM of a guy protecting his job first and foremost...and it has been that way for 4 YEARS, when they make the next horrific mistake by keep Maccagnan it will be 7 YEARS haha...unreal.

Sad thing is is that the Jets had the possible 2018 Coach of the Year right in their building under their noses from the "Rex Ryan coaching tree" Anthony Lynn and couldn't see it...laugh at Rex all you want, but the guy brought this team to 2 AFC Title games and put together a D that was feared a lot of the time until the wheels fell off, and 2 of his assistants Pettine and now Lynn were upped to HC jobs....no one on Bowles staff will EVER be given an HC job.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He hasn’t drafted a Offensive lineman before the 6th round in 4 years, what makes you think he would even draft 1 in the 2nd? That must be an all time record of OL Neglect. Especially since the OL has been pretty average since he walked in the door..

Yes, there's simply no reason to believe his draft strategy will change.

Every year he seems to think he gets the steal of the draft - by sticking to BPA - problem is, we always end up with interior defensive players (DT, MLB, S) - because no other team is stupid enough  to draft those positions that early.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, there's simply no reason to believe his draft strategy will change.

Every year he seems to think he gets the steal of the draft - by sticking to BPA - problem is, we always end up with interior defensive players (DT, MLB, S) - because no other team is stupid enough  to draft those positions that early.

The problem with that is that draftniks agree with him. Kiper, McShay, Mayock etc. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem with that is that draftniks agree with him. Kiper, McShay, Mayock etc. 

Right, but those guys are coming at this with their board - and the players are ranked pretty high...but they're not taking into account positional value or team needs.  

As an example, when they drafted Williams - he may have been high on the talent level board so ranked 1-3 on those guys boards - but the Jets needed another DT like they needed a hole in the head.  Drafting Williams, when the Jets had so many holes, was negligent.  

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Right, but those guys are coming at this with their board - and the players are ranked pretty high...but they're not taking into account positional value or team needs.  

As an example, when they drafted Williams - he may have been high on the talent level board so ranked 1-3 on those guys boards - but the Jets needed another DT like they needed a hole in the head.  Drafting Williams, when the Jets had so many holes, was negligent.  

It's the age old question. Draft for need or Draft BPA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. No one has a clue what Mac would have done with the 1st and second pick but if he had signed him we would (likely) be the same talent void team, with a 30 year old mediocre QB and (likely) no future of the franchise. 

Only reason Mac even has a chance of being safe this year is because he pulled off the trade and got Darnold, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Right, but those guys are coming at this with their board - and the players are ranked pretty high...but they're not taking into account positional value or team needs.  

As an example, when they drafted Williams - he may have been high on the talent level board so ranked 1-3 on those guys boards - but the Jets needed another DT like they needed a hole in the head.  Drafting Williams, when the Jets had so many holes, was negligent.  

Yeah but it was fun watching a 290 lber play LB, Richardson.  Never saw that before...anywhere.

I tell you Maccagnan himself would lose ANY bet if he had to explain what coherent strategy he has implemented over the last 4 YEARS.

He can’t because it’s just a mish mosh hodge podge of garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

IMO, can't kill Mac over this.  At the time we had the 6th pick, no one knew we would be able to get Darnold and the QB situation on this team sucked.  Hindsight is 20/20.

6th pick yes.... but I believe we need to find a young QB.  taking Cousins is the same mistake we have been making.  If no one traded with us and we had the 6 pick.  Rosen, Sllen etc... would have been a better gamble.   

MAC has shown no desire or skill to build a football team.  he patches holes and does it poorly.

he is the consummate 9 to 10 win guy at his finest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...