Jump to content
Patriot Killa

Bell or draft?

Recommended Posts

Depends on what is available. OL in FA or draft should be the priority and everything else falls in place after the 5 blockers. Bell ain't going to do much without an Oline nor are WRs going to be able to run deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if mac is around(I hope to god he is not as that means I have walked away from my paid psls) but sign bell(with built in protections about drug suspensions)  as Mac would not know talent if it bit him in the ass-then sign a proven fa wr as well-sam needs some weapons around him-then as far as the draft goes-use first 2 picks on the offensive line-grab best tackle and best center out there-this draft and the offseason has to be about protecting sam and giving him weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

contrary to macs crazy notion teams are not built by drafting back to back defensive backs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Buy Le’Veon Bell for big bucks or draft a running back this year?

Reason I ask is becsuse I’m skimming through the RB’s entering the draft and I don’t like Bryce Love as a 3 down back..Damien Harris isn’t worth a high pick..I like Benny Snell JR... Justice Hill is undersized.. I just don’t see a lot of top tier talent for RB’s in this draft. Dave Singletary is like 5’7 and reminds me of MJD but he’s more of a 5th-6th round pick and can’t be expected to be a #1 RB right away.

Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin is going to be an animal but he comes out in 2020. 

So what would you rather do? 

Will see how the market goes for bell.. he wants the moon, but I have a feeling he won’t get anywhere near his asking.. most teams don’t have the hole we do at rb, or if they do, they do not have million holes elsewhere ha. So they can draft a good rb, first or 2nd.. I’d worry more about solidify the OL for once in a decade, sign 2 studs, and draft one in 1sr or 3rd round.

 I’d only wonder how bell does after long layoff,not only in terms of production, but since he is a bit older, he Was out of his regular routine, is he more prone to injury, especially behind a mike Mac OL ha

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bell is exactly the type of player the Jets should NOT want in their locker room. On top of that while he is very good, he is not as good as many think.  His being a top 3 RB was a product of playing behind a great O line. As it often is (see Zeke and Gurley). It doesn't take from the fact that he is an excellent back, but no one who doesn't have a really good O line should pay him for Pitt level performance because they are not going to get it. 

I'd prefer the Jets concentrate on O line, WR and Edge Rusher at this time. RB is a final piece type of player because they can be inserted as a rookie and perform at a high level, especially when you've already taken care of the O line and have a WR who demands help over the top.

While I know it may not be popular right now, if Hunt does enough stuff to show remorse and growth, I'd rather have him. Less miles and more dynamic. 

Ugh. Let's let Woody pocket another 30 million in cap space while we go 5-11 again. Yippee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft. Assuming Powell comes back strong. Not the greatest, but with a good line, can run, pass block, AND catch. And line before receiver. Can't run OR pass with a terrible line. 

 

We also need to get more creative with our schemes. Crap left tackle can't block a stud end? Fine. Wham block him with Enunwa. Stud backside linebacker making plays in the run game? Okay. Line up Herndon at left tackle with the X receiver off the ball, and hit him on the seam. 

 

More importantly, get a coach that knows clock management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a lot like the Cousins conversation last year 

The challenge with Bell is you are probably getting two great years and paying for five

but for the Jets those two years could help define their franchise QB - I have little doubt Mac will be the high bidder just not so sure Bell takes the bait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You put the right back, in the right place, with the right system, and the right coaches, you don't need to spend big on a RB.

Look what Damien Williams did Thursday night when given a chance.

Undrafted out of Oklahoma

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Will see how the market goes for bell.. he wants the moon, but I have a feeling he won’t get anywhere near his asking.. most teams don’t have the hole we do at rb, or if they do, they do not have million holes elsewhere ha. So they can draft a good rb, first or 2nd.. I’d worry more about solidify the OL for once in a decade, sign 2 studs, and draft one in 1sr or 3rd round.

 I’d only wonder how bell does after long layoff,not only in terms of production, but since he is a bit older, he Was out of his regular routine, is he more prone to injury, especially behind a mike Mac OL ha

9

It's not even that the Jets have a gaping hole at RB, it's more that he's the only big-time offensive performer likely to hit free agency, so the Jets should spend beaucoups of cash on a RB because they're loaded. Spending money because you have money to spend doesn't usually result in the best investments. 

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Sounds a lot like the Cousins conversation last year 

The challenge with Bell is you are probably getting two great years and paying for five

but for the Jets those two years could help define their franchise QB - I have little doubt Mac will be the high bidder just not so sure Bell takes the bait

 

That's the end result I expect. Bell is a Jet fan, the poor guy. Think his knowledge as a fan of this team makes him more or less likely to want to sign with them? He'll talk money with Mac, then shop that offer to the teams he'd rather sign with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironic Jets fans hate on players like revis and bell who chase the money when the only decent players who will choose the jets are money focused mercenaries. Let’s face it no one is picking the jets unless they only care about $$$ and jets are highest bidder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

You put the right back, in the right place, with the right system, and the right coaches, you don't need to spend big on a RB.

Look what Damien Williams did Thursday night when given a chance.

Undrafted out of Oklahoma

 

A big mistake is taking the Jets for a creative and dynamic team that can turn no name running backs into stars.

we aren’t KC. Stop! 

We need to spend big on RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

Ironic Jets fans hate on players like revis and bell who chase the money when the only decent players who will choose the jets are money focused mercenaries. Let’s face it no one is picking the jets unless they only care about $$$ and jets are highest bidder. 

revis for a 3 year period before getting hurt was the best corner in the league without question and one of the few legit studs we have had in 30 years in the secondary-I would bring bell in with protections against him getting popped for drugs-he can be our modern day version of curtis martin-then draft oline up and get a proven wire in fA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bell is an elite player in his prime and is a true workhorse but it all depends on what he’s asking for. houston, indy, chicago are all gonna have money to spend too

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, slats said:

Huge money on a free agent RB is dumb in this day and age. RB by committee is the smart way to run a backfield. But should Maccagnan shock the world and draft a stud RB in the third round, ride him. That's cool. The Jets have all this money because they have no one under contract. That $100M is gonna dry up fast just resigning who needs to be resigned and filling some additional holes. If they splash, it should be on an edge rusher. 

I'd usually agree. But the jets now have a 4 year window where they'll be paying Sam under market, including 3 years at WAY under market. That dovetails nicely with when bell will be paid, so their combined RB + QB spend wouldn't be too out of whack, and wouldn't stop them from filing other positions correctly. And Bell is far and away the best offensive weapon available this offseason, and would do more to help this team and more importantly darnold than any other available player. 

I reserve the right to rethink if someone like Clowney or Demarcus Lawrence somehow hits the open market. But short of that, hell yes we should be in on Bell. It's important to know the rules of good roster construction, yes. But once you know the rules, you also need to know when it's the right time to break them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A creative GM (Mac is not one!) would explore different ways to bring in higher end talent (I hate to say this because I think there are other reasons why he is doing it, but similar to Brodie Van Wagenens approach).  He needs to leave no stone unturned and that includes trying to package players and picks for different players and picks.  There is unfortunately not much offesnive talent out there in FA or the draft (one of the Jetsiest things possible - no offense when they need offense)  How about trading their #1 to Arizona for David Johnson and their #2.  Arizona would have two of the top 5 picks to try to help their franchise.Same idea for Mike Evans, etc.  trading down a little to get a higher end talent.  worked for the Rams, last year sent their 1st (23 overall) and a sixth for Brandin Cooks and a 4th.  Need creativity t get players that aren't otherwise available to surround Sam with talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this offensive line Bell would be just an above average back, not the killer he was in Pittsburgh. {See James Conner}  Plus the cap effect would be a killer.  Too many needs to fill to spend this kind of money on this player.  Draft a back and spend the money where it is really needed.  Also Bell seems to have some character issues,  teammates didn't miss him as much as you'd think. He'll want to dominate the ball and if not, will be most vocal about it.  Darnold doesn't need that at this point in his  development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

With this offensive line Bell would be just an above average back, not the killer he was in Pittsburgh. {See James Conner}  Plus the cap effect would be a killer.  Too many needs to fill to spend this kind of money on this player.  Draft a back and spend the money where it is really needed.  Also Bell seems to have some character issues,  teammates didn't miss him as much as you'd think. He'll want to dominate the ball and if not, will be most vocal about it.  Darnold doesn't need that at this point in his  development.

What do you mean see Connor? He has 900 yards on 200 attempts and 12 TDs missed 2 games and will still crack 1k yards and almost 15tds... far from average

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

A big mistake is taking the Jets for a creative and dynamic team that can turn no name running backs into stars.

we aren’t KC. Stop! 

We need to spend big on RB

Its RB we're talking about.  You dont have to be dynamic to help someone succeed.  

I would spend.  We need playmakers and hes a playmaker.  No player would help Darnold more that a playmaker at RB, especially one who is so good catching the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ECURB said:

What do you mean see Connor? He has 900 yards on 200 attempts and 12 TDs missed 2 games and will still crack 1k yards and almost 15tds... far from average

The real mistake is looking at Conner and thinking it proves that the RB on Pitt is a product of the OL and team only.  Conner was a top prospect at RB who fell because of his bout with cancer, not because he was a lower tier player

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ECURB said:

What do you mean see Connor? He has 900 yards on 200 attempts and 12 TDs missed 2 games and will still crack 1k yards and almost 15tds... far from average

I mean that Connor stepped into Bell's spot seamlessly ,achieved all the things you listed, and Pittsburgh's running/short passing game didn't miss a beat.  To sum it up I implied that Bell's stats/performance was slightly over-rated, maybe the result of a good system/offensive and maybe not so much the result of his being some sort of spectacular talent.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kmnj said:

revis for a 3 year period before getting hurt was the best corner in the league without question and one of the few legit studs we have had in 30 years in the secondary-I would bring bell in with protections against him getting popped for drugs-he can be our modern day version of curtis martin-then draft oline up and get a proven wire in fA

Quote

 

Bell is no Curtis Martin,  it's like comparing Charles Manson to Mother Theresa.  He would be a malcontent/cancer on a young team lacking developed leadership.  Be careful what you wish for. By the way how did you like being used and disrespected by Revis on two occasions, when he shook down the Jets?  That and his pitiful curtain call season with the team left a putrid taste in my mouth that remains to this day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giving big money to a RB is unwise unless you have no weapons and a ton of cap room

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bell our hunt. I like Snell though and his great Uncle was a Jet. I know hunt is not liked and deservedly so but he has talent and will be less then bell and has less mileage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I'd usually agree. But the jets now have a 4 year window where they'll be paying Sam under market, including 3 years at WAY under market. That dovetails nicely with when bell will be paid, so their combined RB + QB spend wouldn't be too out of whack, and wouldn't stop them from filing other positions correctly. And Bell is far and away the best offensive weapon available this offseason, and would do more to help this team and more importantly darnold than any other available player. 

I reserve the right to rethink if someone like Clowney or Demarcus Lawrence somehow hits the open market. But short of that, hell yes we should be in on Bell. It's important to know the rules of good roster construction, yes. But once you know the rules, you also need to know when it's the right time to break them.

I get that, and if Bell was some straight-arrow kid coming off another strong season heading into free agency, I might be able to get on board, too. But this is a guy who's been suspended twice for substance abuse issues and decided to sit out this entire season rather than play for a perennial playoff contender -turning down $14M in the process- to save his body and get a big payday. As I've said many times, I support his right to do that, but I don't want the Jets to be the team that gives him that payday. Spending the year not under contract, he's also not subject to the league's drug testing policy. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he's probably not pissing clean today.

He's just not the guy I want to see the Jets spend 8% of their salary cap on. He's got a ton of talent, but I don't think he's entitled to that kind of trust.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, slats said:

I get that, and if Bell was some straight-arrow kid coming off another strong season heading into free agency, I might be able to get on board, too. But this is a guy who's been suspended twice for substance abuse issues and decided to sit out this entire season rather than play for a perennial playoff contender -turning down $14M in the process- to save his body and get a big payday. As I've said many times, I support his right to do that, but I don't want the Jets to be the team that gives him that payday. Spending the year not under contract, he's also not subject to the league's drug testing policy. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he's probably not pissing clean today.

He's just not the guy I want to see the Jets spend 8% of their salary cap on. He's got a ton of talent, but I don't think he's entitled to that kind of trust.  

To sign Bell intelligently would require a very structured contract-top dollar guaranteed for all but suspension, and nothing up front.

Bell should be motivated to perform.  I would only guarantee him that money for 2 years.  Bell should still want to play, so the contract should incentivize the Jets to keep him but not penalize them too much if they don’t.  Unfortunately, in that regard it would look like Trumaine Johnson’s contract.  Johnson is not cuttable until after next year, but if he plays in 2019 like he did in 2018, no one will sign him for 2020 after the Jets cut him.  I would expect a much better year next year from Trumaine Johnson.

The question then becomes whether the Jets can hold the line and not take suspension risk on Bell?  They should-if Leveon is clean he gets his money.  My guess is that someone folds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Icer said:

Giving big money to a RB is unwise unless you have no weapons and a ton of cap room

Do you know of a team in that position?

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rammagen said:

bell our hunt. I like Snell though and his great Uncle was a Jet. I know hunt is not liked and deservedly so but he has talent and will be less then bell and has less mileage

I’d rather sign Hunt.  Cheaper, younger.  The media will go ballistic on the jets but who cares they hate the jets already

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Why not McGuire and/or Cannon? They've developed nicely over the second half of the season 

I’d rather sign Brown and Paradis to patch up the OL and Tate or Beasley to be our new slot receiver 

 

McGuire is ok he’s basically another Powell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Why not McGuire and/or Cannon? They've developed nicely over the second half of the season 

You’ve got to be kidding me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell. Team stinks so not many players to extend. Most good FAs will be re-signed or tagged. Leaving us with a boat load of cash to spend, so might as well get Bell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...