Steve Mariucci Gives High Praise For Our Savior

Grandy

I agree with Mariucci about Darnold, and see a huge year 2 leap as well. I think it's awesome to see Darnold get so much praise from virtually every analyst, scout, former player, and coach. And these guys know the game best so to see them label him as a future superstar is just great to see.

58 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I agree with Mariucci about Darnold, and see a huge year 2 leap as well. I think it's awesome to see Darnold get so much praise from virtually every analyst, scout, former player, and coach. And these guys know the game best so to see them label him as a future superstar is just great to see.

Geno Smith won 8 games his rookie year. :)

Love Sam, couldn't resist. GO JETS!!!!

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I am hopeful that Sam can stay healthy & be taught by a superior offensive mind...  on a side note, I actually like that color green... If they're keeping the Jets green & white I would like that color.

14 hours ago, Grandy said:

I can't help but wonder how much Joe Namath telling Rex Ryan that quarterbacks will regress in their second year and that the goal with Sanchez was to keep him at the same level as his rookie year ended up hurting Sanchez's development

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I can't help but wonder how much Joe Namath telling Rex Ryan that quarterbacks will regress in their second year and that the goal with Sanchez was to keep him at the same level as his rookie year ended up hurting Sanchez's development

Sanchez wasn't good and was never going to be good.  Nothing to do with Namath and or Rex.

16 hours ago, jetsons said:

I am hopeful that Sam can stay healthy & be taught by a superior offensive mind...  on a side note, I actually like that color green... If they're keeping the Jets green & white I would like that color.

The sad thing is that that is not even needed.  An above average O mind, or even average, will probably be more than enough to take full advantage of Sam's skill set. You need a superior O mind to get something out of an inferior talent. You just need an O mind with common sense to take full advantage of a QB with top end talent. And what is truly sad is that the Jets can't even get that right (so far). 

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The sad thing is that that is not even needed.  An above average O mind, or even average, will probably be more than enough to take full advantage of Sam's skill set. You need a superior O mind to get something out of an inferior talent. You just need an O mind with common sense to take full advantage of a QB with top end talent. And what is truly sad is that the Jets can't even get that right (so far). 

Right, add a solid coach - with a Bell, a first round WR and two new linemen and you have the talent level to compete..

But I don't believe Bowles or Mac are capable of pulling off any of it.

He said this but during the broadcast, it felt like he would say stupid things like “that pass was too high” when it hit the WR in the hands or “Darnold needs to get better at play action” when the running game was nonexistent and it wasn’t tricking the defense whatsoever.

still appreciate the praise though.

15 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Totally agree with your assessment.

Watch, hypothetically if the Jets get just an average Offensive mind to coach the team, someone who can think critically to the point where if you gave him a compass and said “we’re on 1st Street now head North to get to 3rd Street “ and the newly hired coach could do that (doubtful Bowles could), put a handful of offensive pieces around him that would ALSO be able to start on any other NFL roster (they really don’t have ANY of that this year).....Darnold will be outstanding next year....and NONE of the usual suspects will acknowledge the obvious...how bad a coach Bowles is...Bates is just as awful, but if anyone gets blamed it’ll be him.

This kid is already proving that he can take one of the weakest Offensive units, put them on his back and almost beat one of the Top Ds in the league along with a team like Houston who is maybe the hottest team in the league.

Gone are the days of a Pennington or Sanchez where you’d need a 16 play drive with EVERYTHING having to go right just to score a TD.

The best thing about Darnold playing well these past couple games, and hopefully the remaining two, is that it could really get the attention of HC candidates who see what they'll have to work with.

Any good offensive coach has to see that Darnold is making lemonade out of lemons and has to think the personnel can really only get better on O.  That, combined with the natural growth in a QB from year 1 to year 2, should be very appetizing for coaching candidates.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The best thing about Darnold playing well these past couple games, and hopefully the remaining two, is that it could really get the attention of HC candidates who see what they'll have to work with.

Agreed.  Free agents too, though to a lesser degree.

Archived