2019 RB rankings (the early edition)

Paradis

Although I give the first two backs on this list late 1st round grades, I don't expect to see anyone's name called until day 2... Could be a run on backs in the 2nd/3rd, value will be high. 

1. Damien Harris (Alabama); didn't watch independently until recently. Springs into stride with a stout frame, good hands. fast. great blocker, explodes to the 2nd level. I see similar strengths that Zeke brought to the table.  Jets Spin: Unless we trade back, won't be an option. Would be an instant 3-down starter.
  2. Dexter Williams (ND);  Flashes DMC at Arkansas. Fantastic feet, vision and burst. Knows when to be patience, supercharger at will. A finisher. Jets Spin: Again, no 2nd rnd pick, not a likely option unless off field concerns drop him.
  3. Devin Singletary (FAU); I confess I've left this one on the shelf too long... shifty and seemingly impossible to take down on first contact. Incredible balance, and legs that keep churning. Heigh/size will keep him out of first two rounds i suspect.  Jets Spin: I doubt Macc has the gonads to buy in on a 5'7 RB, but the tape speaks for itself. 
  4. Darrell Henderson (Memphis); Explosive slash and dash. A young Ivory. Impressive agility at the 2nd level. Lot of wide open lanes though, didn't see enough tough runs against good 'LBers. Not sure he's a 3-down between the tackles back in the NFL
  5. Benny Snell Jr (Kentucky);  +Physical runner +Pass pro +Hands. Hard to bring down, but not a lot of lateral wiggle. No twitch and disappeared in big games at times.  Reminds me of Kerryon Johnson on film.   Jets Spin: If Jets strike out on Bell, i could see Macc buying into the "lead back" label Benny has, + locker room leadership qualities etc. 
  6. Jordan Scarlett (Florida);  Isn't a phyical specimen but has the intangibles, change of speed & direction is good, and has great feet and vision in traffic High floor.
  7. Alex Barnes (KSU); Physical at all levels of contact, decisive running, and faster than he looks. Plays like a lightweight version of Peyton Hillis (slightly contrived comp)
  8. Rodney Anderson (OU); Love his game. Such a natural runner with vision and patience. Arian Foster 2.0... but can't trust his knees. 
  9. Bryce Love (Stanford); Glorified 3rd down back. A role player who can compliment a backfield with his dynamic playermaking ability on passing downs. Won't be able to do much (if any) damage between the tackles in the NFL.
  10. Wes Hills (Slippery Rock); More likely to bust/go undrafted than some names that never made it on this list, but the ceiling on this 6'2 220 gazelle is too hard to ignore.
  11. Mike Weber (OSU); Nothing elite, but instant top speed and gets upfield. One of the best 3rd down backs in the draft. Think G. Bernard  Jets Spin: a very Maccagnian pick, big school, well test well at combine. Lee of RBs

Didn't make the cut: L. Scott (MSU), J. Hill (OSU), W. Gaskin (WU), J. Moore (App st), D. Montegomery (Iowa St)

(if that didn't do it for you, then I offer this--)

Jets.jpg

15 hours ago, RobR said:

I'll do Harris by next week. Got any vids that you want me to base my opinion on?

There's a few on youtube vs Ole Miss, UL, etc....  Even better, watch him here in the playoffs as well. I see a mixture of Ingram and Elliot, though I wouldn't go as far as to put him alongside, yet. He just looks made to hit holes and finish runs. 

I personally have a bigger hard on for Dexter Williams b/c of running style and homerun ability, but if i was a GM and my job/team was on the line, I can't pretend like Harris isn't the more predictable/safer/right pick.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

There's a few on youtube vs Ole Miss, UL, etc....  Even better, watch him here in the playoffs as well. I see a mixture of Ingram and Elliot, though I would go as far as to put him alongside, yet. He just looks made to hit holes and finish runs. 

I personally have a bigger hard on for Dexter Williams b/c of running style and homerun ability, but if i was a GM and my job/team was on the line, I can't pretend like Harris isn't the more predictable/safer/right pick.

Those Alabama backs are kinda safe and predictable in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Singletary interests me.  He’s short but he’s 200 pounds.  Not a great RB class IMO.  Harris and Williams seem like the safest of the bunch.  

Surprised @Paradis didn’t list Jalen Hurd in your RB rankings....Lol

He's impressive. I think i wrote him off to early b/c of his height, but after watching more i don't think it will matter. he's a playmaker. 

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Singletary interests me.  He’s short but he’s 200 pounds.  Not a great RB class IMO.  Harris and Williams seem like the safest of the bunch.  

back to Hurd; you think he could be drafted as a RB? I think he's the one who wants to shed that title. I think he'll be looked at as WR/flex guy. 

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

back to Hurd; you think he could be drafted as a RB? I think he's the one who wants to shed that title. I think he'll be looked at as WR/flex guy. 

No, I just thought you would throw him in there. Lol..

I did see a horrible article comparing him to Cordarrelle Patterson though.  I get the Tennessee thing and the fact that Patterson has played some RB, but Hurd is WAY better as a receiver than Patterson ever has been.  Hurd catches the ball so much more naturally than Patterson.   I though it was a lazy comparison.   

Here is another article comparing Hurd and Patterson.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/13/jalen-hurd-has-a-little-cordarrelle-patterson-to-his-game/

On 12/16/2018 at 10:43 AM, sec101row23 said:

No, I just thought you would throw him in there. Lol..

I did see a horrible article comparing him to Cordarrelle Patterson though.  I get the Tennessee thing and the fact that Patterson has played some RB, but Hurd is WAY better as a receiver than Patterson ever has been.  Hurd catches the ball so much more naturally than Patterson.   I though it was a lazy comparison.   

Here is another article comparing Hurd and Patterson.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/13/jalen-hurd-has-a-little-cordarrelle-patterson-to-his-game/

Saw and called out Brad lol... you know he wrote up a niece piece on Jalen in September when few were talking about him... then this piece, which i don't agree with outside of the most basic, broadest sense Hurd can do more than just be a conventional WR... but what does that mean? 

Anyway, yea. 

A guy I want to look a lot more at is Josh jacobs from Bama.  Not talked about much bcause he had limiited touches -- but that should be a positive comiing out of college; plenty of tread left on those tires.  Complete, 3-down back -- can block, catch out of the backfield, run through people and around them.  Good kick returner too.  Not sure why we are not hearing much about him.  Yet.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

A guy I want to look a lot more at is Josh jacobs from Bama.  Not talked about much bcause he had limiited touches in college -- but that should be a positive comiing out of college; plenty of tread left on those tires.  Complete, 3-down back -- can block, catch out of the backfield, run through people and around them.  Good kick returner too.  Not sure why we are not hearing much about him.  Yet.

To be honest, i haven't looked at him much. He's one of the only ones I skipped. I'll revisit if you say so.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

A guy I want to look a lot more at is Josh jacobs from Bama.  Not talked about much bcause he had limiited touches in college -- but that should be a positive comiing out of college; plenty of tread left on those tires.  Complete, 3-down back -- can block, catch out of the backfield, run through people and around them.  Good kick returner too.  Not sure why we are not hearing much about him.  Yet.

Reminds me of TJ Yeldon.  

nice list Paradis! Dex Williams is gonna fly up boards. some off-field stuff with him though. couple of my early thoughts: 

-Trayveon Williams if he declares will be a riser. Not a tall/power back, but led SEC in rushing and dangerous pass catcher

-David Montgomery is my favorite prospect but will need to run a good 40 to solidify himself. Also not officially declared 

-Singletary is a baller don't care about size makes plays and sheds tacklers 

-Damien Harris is a meh for me. Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Bo Scarborough, Eddie Lacy, --- long list of one-trick ponies there. Scouting community has comp'ed him to Doug Martin 

-Bryce Love a Chris Johnson speedster shifty/quick type wonder if he can run 4.4 

-Snell/Henderson nice prospects 

-Weber/Scott/Gaskin solid not special 

23 hours ago, 19andOhWait said:

nice list Paradis! Dex Williams is gonna fly up boards. some off-field stuff with him though. couple of my early thoughts: 

-Trayveon Williams if he declares will be a riser. Not a tall/power back, but led SEC in rushing and dangerous pass catcher

-David Montgomery is my favorite prospect but will need to run a good 40 to solidify himself. Also not officially declared 

-Singletary is a baller don't care about size makes plays and sheds tacklers 

-Damien Harris is a meh for me. Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Bo Scarborough, Eddie Lacy, --- long list of one-trick ponies there. Scouting community has comp'ed him to Doug Martin 

-Bryce Love a Chris Johnson speedster shifty/quick type wonder if he can run 4.4 

-Snell/Henderson nice prospects 

-Weber/Scott/Gaskin solid not special 

Interesting you bring up T. Williams... I deliberately ignored him, and for no good reason. I'll make time for him in the new year. 

Montegomery is a trooper, but I just feel like i've seen 1000 montegomery's... work horses who athletically tap out in the pros. It's all or nothing IMO with him... either the game proves to be too quick and we never see him start on sundays, or the complete opposite. My gut says the former. 

-I feel you on harris, which is why i didn't give him the time of day either... until i had to. And then i went "wow... ok, he can do it all"... I challenge you to show me his deficiencies. I think he;ll be every bit as successful as Mark Ingram. 

me + bryce love = yawn

• 2 weeks later...

Sports Day reports that Texas A&M junior RB Trayveon Williams will declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Williams (5'9/200) set the Texas A&M single-season rushing yards record after piling up 1,760 yards on 271 carries (6.5 YPC). The best offensive player on the field for some of his games this season, Williams was a threat for a long touchdown every time he touched the ball. Williams ended up racking up 18 touchdown runs, but he also showed a receiving ability, catching 27-of-39 targets for 278 yards and a score. In what many analysts view as a weak running back class, Williams has a chance to be a top-five RB and a Day 2 selection with a good combine.

my guy! 

The Athletic's Dane Brugler called Alabama senior RB Damien Harris a "not-as-dynamic version of Ezekiel Elliott."

Harris (5'11/215) can "do a little bit everything" and is asked to do more as a pass blocker than almost all college running backs. Zeke, of course, was considered a no-brainer first-rounder after securing a 94th percentile Speed Score at the combine, and that's not something anyone is expecting for Harris. A senior with leadership experience, Harris is considered a Day 2 prospect that can fit into many roles at the NFL level.

yep 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:56 AM, 19andOhWait said:
The Athletic's Dane Brugler called Alabama senior RB Damien Harris a "not-as-dynamic version of Ezekiel Elliott."

Harris (5'11/215) can "do a little bit everything" and is asked to do more as a pass blocker than almost all college running backs. Zeke, of course, was considered a no-brainer first-rounder after securing a 94th percentile Speed Score at the combine, and that's not something anyone is expecting for Harris. A senior with leadership experience, Harris is considered a Day 2 prospect that can fit into many roles at the NFL level.

yep 

Hmmm 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:47 AM, Paradis said:

I see a mixture of Ingram and Elliot, though I wouldn't go as far as to put him alongside, yet. He just looks made to hit holes and finish runs. 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:15 AM, sec101row23 said:

I like Snell Jr.  Big dude who breaks tackles and runs to daylight.  Not the shiftiest but a workhorse.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

oooh, lith. Welcome to the "I love him and there's no chance he'll land with us" club

It's a dreary place, not gonna lie. 

Yup.  Unless we find a way to trade back/add 2nd round pick; I don't see him dropping to the top of the 3rd for us.  But no worries, we will probably pick another 6th round Mcguire/Cannon caliber RB and hope for the best. 

And when the guy runs for 8 yards on 3rd and 6 in his 5th game of the season, to bring his averge up to 3.3 yards per carry, Jets twitter and FB will hail another great late round steal for Macc.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Unless we find a way to trade back/add 2nd round pick; I don't see him dropping to the top of the 3rd for us.  But no worries, we will probably pick another 6th round Mcguire/Cannon caliber RB and hope for the best. 

And when the guy runs for 8 yards on 3rd and 6 in his 5th game of the season, to bring his averge up to 3.3 yards per carry, Jets twitter and FB will hail another great late round steal for Macc.

This is the sad line where truth and sarcasm blur. 

On 1/11/2019 at 1:10 AM, Paradis said:

oooh, lith. Welcome to the "I love him and there's no chance he'll land with us" club

It's a dreary place, not gonna lie. 

There was a catch he made in the Clemson game that sealed the deal for me regarding Jacobs.  Ball was a little off target and he reached out and plucked it like a wider receiver.   He is very smooth as a receiver.  Sadly Maccagnan is allergic to drafting these kind of players.  

On 1/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, 19andOhWait said:

Sports Day reports that Texas A&M junior RB Trayveon Williams will declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Williams (5'9/200) set the Texas A&M single-season rushing yards record after piling up 1,760 yards on 271 carries (6.5 YPC). The best offensive player on the field for some of his games this season, Williams was a threat for a long touchdown every time he touched the ball. Williams ended up racking up 18 touchdown runs, but he also showed a receiving ability, catching 27-of-39 targets for 278 yards and a score. In what many analysts view as a weak running back class, Williams has a chance to be a top-five RB and a Day 2 selection with a good combine.

my guy! 

I’d love this pick. He cuts and changes direction without losing speed, hits the hole and follows his blockers really well,  is full speed in one step and can catch. The Jets need a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. 

Him and Hunt in the backfield would be a good start. 

On 12/18/2018 at 5:15 AM, Lith said:

A guy I want to look a lot more at is Josh jacobs from Bama.  Not talked about much bcause he had limiited touches -- but that should be a positive comiing out of college; plenty of tread left on those tires.  Complete, 3-down back -- can block, catch out of the backfield, run through people and around them.  Good kick returner too.  Not sure why we are not hearing much about him.  Yet.

Reminds me of Alvin Kamara.  Size, usage, elusive and hard to bring down.  Doesn't seem as quick but looks like he has a similar skill set.  Looks like he could be a good RPO RB.  Effective up the middle, can block but also can continue the play-action route to be the last option checkdown.

What kind of emphasis will the Jets place on RB in the Draft though?

I really think they'll move in FA to sign someone.  If not Bell then possibly Ingram or Tevin Coleman.  With Isaiah Crowell still under contract and Eli McGuire and Trent Cannon both on rookie contracts I'm not sure the Jets will go near a RB in the early rounds, if at all.

To be clear, I think if the Jets trade down in Round 1 and pickup say a 2nd and 4th, then they should look to add another RB before Round 5.  I just think the depth chart will become prohibitive if the Jets make a move for a Tier 1/2 RB in FA.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

What kind of emphasis will the Jets place on RB in the Draft though?

I really think they'll move in FA to sign someone.  If not Bell then possibly Ingram or Tevin Coleman.  With Isaiah Crowell still under contract and Eli McGuire and Trent Cannon both on rookie contracts I'm not sure the Jets will go near a RB in the early rounds, if at all.

To be clear, I think if the Jets trade down in Round 1 and pickup say a 2nd and 4th, then they should look to add another RB before Round 5.  I just think the depth chart will become prohibitive if the Jets make a move for a Tier 1/2 RB in FA.

McGuire proved to be a JAG, not a bust... just... another guy. Powell's earned himself a tip of the hat for the rest of his days, but he's done. And Cannon is negligible from a roster planning standpoint.

We should be in the mix to land a weapon - FA seems possible, but the right back in rnds 3-4 would be welcomed.  

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

McGuire proved to be a JAG, not a bust... just... another guy. Powell's earned himself a tip of the hat for the rest of his days, but he's done. And Cannon is negligible from a roster planning standpoint.

We should be in the mix to land a weapon - FA seems possible, but the right back in rnds 3-4 would be welcomed.  

The more I think about it IF Macc and the Jets sign a Tier 1/2 RB in free agency (Bell, Tevin Coleman, Mark Ingram, etc.) then I don't see them drafting a RB at all.  The Jets will have signed a somewhat high-priced FA in both 2019 and 2018 (Crowell) AND will have drafted McGuire and Cannon in back-to-back years.  With all the other needs on this team I think RB will be deprioritized. 

I could honestly see the Jets trying to make a big splash with Leveon Bell and using Crowell to minimize the wear and tear on him.   Something like a 25 touch / 10 touch / 5 touch split between Bell/Crowell/McGuire. (Touch = a rush or reception) I think McGuire can become something in the vicinity of Bilal Powell (maybe not quite as good) but Cannon is a guy the Jets are praying becomes a special teams ace....I just don't see it yet given his fumble-itis.  Cannon doesn't look like he'll ever be in a RB rotation.  Maybe he gets to RB3 at some point in his career but I just can't envision that right now.

I think Crowell has 2 more years.  A guy they sign this year would have a 4-5 year contract.  The time to invest a premium pick (1 thru 3) would be in 2020 or 2021 to replace Crowell as a backup and be the heir apparent to whoever the Jets sign this year.  JMHO.

Archived