What could the Jets get in a trade down

VinnyT16

The way I see it three teams in the top 15 are going to be looking for QBs in Denver, NYG, and Jacksonville.

The Jets could potentially be well set up for a trade back to recoup the lost draft capital for Darnold.

Given the fact that the draft is considered pretty weak this year on offense I could see teams being very aggressive to trade up for  QBs. If I was a GM I would absolutely try to land a first in 2020 in whatever deal I make.

4 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

The way I see it three teams in the top 15 are going to be looking for QBs in Denver, NYG, and Jacksonville.

The Jets could potentially be well set up for a trade back to recoup the lost draft capital for Darnold.

who are teams trading up for? Be specific 

also note the Giants and Jets don't trade and most likely hate each others' guts 

Denver currently would be 3rd to 12th.  We would have to get a pick next year (not necessarily a 1st) to make it work as well as perhaps a 2 and a 3 or 2 and a 4 this year.

NYG.  I really do not think they are desperate for a QB, they drafted lauletta last year i think.

As it stands i doubt it jax would trade up as the only team between us and them is the niners and they are no threat to take a qb.

There are also going to be a few higher profile vets available this year i think like flacco that teams will go for.

Someone is going to become the new "it" guy.  

Herbert? Lock? Grier?

Regardless of whether or not they're actually worth a top 5 pick, someone will get "hot" in the off season and climb up the draft board.  It happens all the time now.

Problem is, AZ isn't taking a QB, Oak may not and the Jets won't.  So unless someone wants to trade up for a "just in case" scenario, with the current order if you're GM looking for a QB you're probably targeting the #4 pick to jump Jacksonville.

5 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Herbert? Lock? Grier?

Regardless of whether or not they're actually worth a top 5 pick, someone will get "hot" in the off season and climb up the draft board.  It happens all the time now. 

Herbert says he's going back to school

Drew Lock and Will Grier are going to the Senior Bowl to prove they are 1st rounders

they could rise but the question is how high (Cutler went 10th for example) they'd have to be like Carson Wentz to get into the top 5 convo.

Because these are SEC and ACC prospects not North Dakota the scouts know what he's worth. The kid Ryan Finley  from NC state is also a popular name but none of these are likely to hold a top 3 value

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Trading down with Denver would be an option IF we get their #1 and possibly Shane Ray or Royce Freeman or Devonte Booker or Courtland Sutton and a 2nd round pick. 

Maybe we can hold out and get Kenyon Coleman or Abram Elam too!

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

The draft-trade chart is pretty accurate when it comes  to draft day trades. Obviously, when there are a bunch of highly ranked QBs the value of the top couple of picks goes up. 

So if the Jets remain at 3, for them to land a 2nd round pick in exchange for trading down they would have to go from 3 (2200 points) to 5 (1700 points) to land a mid-second round pick. 

If the Jets end up with the 5th pick, they would have to trade down to 12th overall  to get a 2nd round pick.. 

5 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

Given the fact that the draft is considered pretty weak this year on offense I could see teams being very aggressive to trade up for  QBs. If I was a GM I would absolutely try to land a first in 2020 in whatever deal I make.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

That's last years draft. Let's say the Jets go as high as the 2nd overall pick in the 2019 draft. The pick is worth 2,600 points. The difference between 2 and 4 is 800 points. For example. The Raiders lets say end up 4th overall and want to move up two spots to draft Hebert. They could give us the pick they got from the Cowboys. It's just a hypothetical. Not saying it happens.

Who is going QB at the top of the draft? 

I don't see anyone trading up this year. Denver might have 4 teams to pick from if they're interested. Which already waters down the trade. All of the teams at the top currently have QBs. Cards, Raiders, Jets, 49ers. Jags are stuck with Bortles. 

Then you have Falcons (Ryan), Lions (Stafford), Giants (Eli/Lauletta), Bucs (definitely a team that might be in the QB game) but they don't have to move. Then Bills (Allen), Packers (Rogers), then Denver. Hell, Denver could just move up with Falcons, Lions, or Giants.

What you want is to be in front of Denver or Tampa Bay. They seem the only players for a QB. Washington would be the other depending on where they end up. Terrible win for them yesterday,very 2014 Jet like, lol.

Here's an absolutely crazy idea. 

Say the Jaguars end up picking ahead of us? 

Would you trade for Bortles & take on his contract as a backup for Darnold? 

Jets swap 1st round draft spot, swap 3d & get the Jags 3rd round pick they got for Fowler from the Rams? 

Jets would have a higher 1st, higher 3rd, plus 2 more 3rds. This might be the perfect draft to have 3 third round picks? High 3rd is close to a 2nd. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets swap 1st round draft spot, swap 3d & get the Jags 3rd round pick they got for Fowler from the Rams? 

Jets would have a higher 1st, higher 3rd, plus 2 more 3rds. This might be the perfect draft to have 3 third round picks? High 3rd is close to a 2nd. 

Taking on contract money in exchange for picks is EXACTLY the type of deals Mac needs to be looking at.  The issue is if the Johnsons will sign off on moves that take on cash.

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Taking on contract money in exchange for picks is EXACTLY the type of deals Mac needs to be looking at.  The issue is if the Johnsons will sign off on moves that take on cash.

This has been discussed already and the amount of money that we would absorb is not enough for JAX to want to do it. Contract # is high but it would only save them $6.5mil? In the form of a trade. It wouldn’t be for a high draft pick. I forgot who found that number but it was suggested and discussed in detail a week or 2 ago. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This has been discussed already and the amount of money that we would absorb is not enough for JAX to want to do it. Contract # is high but it would only save them $6.5mil? In the form of a trade. It wouldn’t be for a high draft pick. I forgot who found that number but it was suggested and discussed in detail a week or 2 ago. 

That's why I just suggested a swap of picks but they only give us their 3rd. Basically for another 3rd rounder & a slightly higher choice at #1 & #3. 

Disagree with other posters about "a new IT guy".... 

No, there won't be any of that this year. This is going to me more EJ Manuel and Geno Smith -- than Mayfield and Darnold.

Kiss that dream good bye.

**any trade down would likely because someone fell in love with Williams, or fck if i know. And it wouldn't be much. At best we get a 2nd rounder. 

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Herbert? Lock? Grier?

Problem is, AZ isn't taking a QB, Oak may not and the Jets won't.  So unless someone wants to trade up for a "just in case" scenario, with the current order if you're GM looking for a QB you're probably targeting the #4 pick to jump Jacksonville.

Yeah, it's a bad year for a variety of reasons.

There's no elite QB prospect and the teams ahead of the Jets as well as the Jets themselves likely aren't taking a QB.  No need for any team behind us to trade up for a very good (not great) QB prospect.  That doesn't mean a team won't try to trade up for another position though.

Also, this draft is loaded with defenders at the top....unfortunately.  The offensive linemen and WRs the Jets could use most are not guys who should go in the Top 5 IMO.  We really want to take an offensive player somewhere in the 10-20 range, whether it's a WR or OLineman.  If the Jets end up staying where they are I see them taking some type of pass rusher.  I say "some type" because with a new coach next year the Jets could potentially end up back in a 4-3 and would want a true down DE rather than hybrid OLB pass rushing guy.

Interesting Peter King of sports illustrated was on Sky sports last night.

Says Joe Flacco will be available also says Tannehill is out in Miami.

A Lot of room for a trade up. Especially if a QB has a good Pro day/ Combine they can jump the board. Just like Wentz a couple of years back. The Jets will be in a good place for that, Since whoever is #1 will take Bosa.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's why I just suggested a swap of picks but they only give us their 3rd. Basically for another 3rd rounder & a slightly higher choice at #1 & #3. 

That would still probably be too much compensation for only $6.5mil in relief. Picks are valuable and the cap went up a good amount again. I highly doubt they would do it for anything more than like a 5th rounder if that. If it was his whole cap hit. That would be a different story and they may do that.

Teams in cap trouble are becoming more and more rare and even the ones that are up against the cap, still have plenty of flexibility if they just cut some guys. We are in a bad spot. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Denver currently would be 3rd to 12th.  We would have to get a pick next year (not necessarily a 1st) to make it work as well as perhaps a 2 and a 3 or 2 and a 4 this year.

NYG.  I really do not think they are desperate for a QB, they drafted lauletta last year i think.

As it stands i doubt it jax would trade up as the only team between us and them is the niners and they are no threat to take a qb.

There are also going to be a few higher profile vets available this year i think like flacco that teams will go for.

Jax could trade up to block another team from doing so. 

42 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

They hate each other enough to share the Roofless Mausoleum in the swamp ?

Exactly if the Johnson Brothers could legally make a deal involving less money towards the stadium out of their pockets to trade the Giants our current #3 pick they would. 

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Interesting Peter King of sports illustrated was on Sky sports last night.

Says Joe Flacco will be available also says Tannehill is out in Miami.

A Lot of room for a trade up. Especially if a QB has a good Pro day/ Combine they can jump the board. Just like Wentz a couple of years back. The Jets will be in a good place for that, Since whoever is #1 will take Bosa.

these are facts about increased demand

but doesn't change this year there is no supply

Always love a trade down. Great way to fortify your O-line which to me is the priority for 2019. Esp with a young Qb. If you give this kid more time esp with his ability to roll out and make plays it's esp a big deal. Plus we could have a decent running game depending on who we have on the roster and if we sign a FA Rb. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, it's a bad year for a variety of reasons.

There's no elite QB prospect and the teams ahead of the Jets as well as the Jets themselves likely aren't taking a QB.  No need for any team behind us to trade up for a very good (not great) QB prospect.  That doesn't mean a team won't try to trade up for another position though.

Also, this draft is loaded with defenders at the top....unfortunately.  The offensive linemen and WRs the Jets could use most are not guys who should go in the Top 5 IMO.  We really want to take an offensive player somewhere in the 10-20 range, whether it's a WR or OLineman.  If the Jets end up staying where they are I see them taking some type of pass rusher.  I say "some type" because with a new coach next year the Jets could potentially end up back in a 4-3 and would want a true down DE rather than hybrid OLB pass rushing guy.

It's too early to say anything about the QB prospects.  I don't recall exactly when Mayfield starting getting on the hype train but I believe it was late in the season.  Senior bowl could make 1 or even 2 guys top-5 picks, and that's not counting bowl games before that or the combine.  Lots can and probably will change before May.

The challenge is, as you stated, that there are so many good DL in this draft, do 1 or 2 stand out enough that a team would trade up?  Hard to say this early.  I think the best chance is if we pick around 3 is that we get the same kind of deal we gave Indy last year.  Assuming Bosa and/or Q Williams are going in the top-2 slots, #3 would be a good place for a team to jump up to for a guarantee of landing a FQB.  Lots of dominoes need to fall right, but it's not that improbable.  Then depending on where the team is coming from, we could land a nice package.  Could be JAX looking to lock out anyone jumping over them, or TB, NYG or DEN looking to get into the mix.  ARI was only able to get Rosen at 10 last year because 3 QBs went ahead of him.  In a normal year, you can't sit down at 8-12 and expect a top QB prospect.  And after passing last year, DEN really can't afford to do it again.  I see them as being very aggressive.

The bad news is also the good news.  With so many DL (DTs in particular) at the very top of this draft, we could get a player we really want in the 8-12 range since I expect at least 5 of the top 10 picks will be DLs or QBs.  One of the top WRs, OTs or Edge rushers will be there, maybe more.  For the right price, I'd be thrilled to see that work out.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Lauletta is garbage.  Even Shurmur said it quite openly in a press conference after he was put in the Redskins game.

45 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's too early to say anything about the QB prospects.  I don't recall exactly when Mayfield starting getting on the hype train but I believe it was late in the season.  Senior bowl could make 1 or even 2 guys top-5 picks, and that's not counting bowl games before that or the combine.  Lots can and probably will change before May.

The challenge is, as you stated, that there are so many good DL in this draft, do 1 or 2 stand out enough that a team would trade up?  Hard to say this early.  I think the best chance is if we pick around 3 is that we get the same kind of deal we gave Indy last year.  Assuming Bosa and/or Q Williams are going in the top-2 slots, #3 would be a good place for a team to jump up to for a guarantee of landing a FQB.  Lots of dominoes need to fall right, but it's not that improbable.  Then depending on where the team is coming from, we could land a nice package.  Could be JAX looking to lock out anyone jumping over them, or TB, NYG or DEN looking to get into the mix.  ARI was only able to get Rosen at 10 last year because 3 QBs went ahead of him.  In a normal year, you can't sit down at 8-12 and expect a top QB prospect.  And after passing last year, DEN really can't afford to do it again.  I see them as being very aggressive.

The bad news is also the good news.  With so many DL (DTs in particular) at the very top of this draft, we could get a player we really want in the 8-12 range since I expect at least 5 of the top 10 picks will be DLs or QBs.  One of the top WRs, OTs or Edge rushers will be there, maybe more.  For the right price, I'd be thrilled to see that work out.

I think if the Jets aren't hung up on getting 100% value for their pick then they can absolutely trade down.  I haven't looked at the Draft Value Chart recently but just as an example....If the chart were to say the Jets could trade a #3 overall pick for the #10, a 2018 2nd round pick and a 2019 2nd round pick then maybe the Jets would simply have to accept the #10, a 2018 2nd round pick and a 2019 3rd round pick to move down.  Might still be the right decision for them because, as you said, I'd think one of the Top 3 WRs and Top 2 OLinemen would still be there at #10, and the Jets need SO MUCH help across the offensive roster that simply accumulating 2 additional picks over the next two years would be worth it.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think if the Jets aren't hung up on getting 100% value for their pick then they can absolutely trade down.  I haven't looked at the Draft Value Chart recently but just as an example....If the chart were to say the Jets could trade a #3 overall pick for the #10, a 2018 2nd round pick and a 2019 2nd round pick then maybe the Jets would simply have to accept the #10, a 2018 2nd round pick and a 2019 3rd round pick to move down.  Might still be the right decision for them because, as you said, I'd think one of the Top 3 WRs and Top 2 OLinemen would still be there at #10, and the Jets need SO MUCH help across the offensive roster that simply accumulating 2 additional picks over the next two years would be worth it.

It’s damn near impossible trying to predict a trade down scenario in December.  So much changes between now and the draft.  Players you think a certain a team will target in December changes after free agency.  Players get traded and that changes draft needs.  What looks like an impossible situation now, can become totally realistic come April.  

32 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not much. Those teams will make a play for guys like teddy or just wait for the QB to slide to them 

Look back at the last few years.  Waiting for a QB to slide does not seem to be the norm.

2018 - 4 teams moved up for a 1st round QB including 3 into the top 10.  Only CLE at #1 stayed put.

2017 - 3 teams moved up for a 1st round QB including 2 into the top 10.  Nobody stayed put.

2016 - 2 teams moved up into the top 2 slots for a QB.  DEN moved into the 1st round.  Nobody stayed put.

2015 - Top 2 teams stayed put and drafted QB.

2014 - 2 teams moved up in the 1st round for a QB.  JAX stayed at 3 and took Bortles.

There will be plenty of interest in moving up IF the QBs appear worth it.  Too soon to know that.  And while Teddy will draw interest, that's one team at most while at least 3, maybe as many as 5 should be seriously interested in a 1st round QB.  And beyond Teddy, there's not much.  Tannehill and Bortles are, at best, consolation prizes.  

I think if we have the 2nd pick and teams fall in love with a QB, then a trade is possible. Oakland needs to beat the broncos Monday night for that to happen. It may be the raiders if Carr gets traded. Shop the pick and shake Oakland down for 2 1st rounders. Trade one of those picks for Evans (TB) and take an o lineman with the other pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived