This Is an Outrage. I Will Not Stand For This Injustice. Who's With Me?

Spoot-Face

News

Massachusetts Beavers Controversially Culled After Excess Rain, Dams Cause Dangerous Flooding

By Drew MacFarlane

7 hours ago

beaver_1.jpg?v=at&w=485&h=273

A North American beaver guarding its dam.
(Wikimedia Commons)

At a Glance

• Excessive rain and beaver dams causing flooding caused officials in Massachusetts to trap and cull a beaver population.
  • Water levels rose over four feet, continually flooding a roadway and threatening to washout a bridge.
  • Conservation officials say removing the population will not offer a permanent solution to the problem.

Dangerous flooding amplified by beaver dams in Framingham, Massachusetts, led city officials to cull a beaver population in a decision that's being criticized by animal rights activists.

Flooding from the combination of the beavers' dams and above average rain nearly washed out a 100-year-old bridge — along with water, sewage and gas lines — and created dangerous road conditions, flooding yards and basements, the city of Framingham announced in a press release.

The trapping and culling was Framingham's first since 2014. Robert McArthur, administrator of the local Board of Health and Conservation Commission, told Boston.com that the weather "exacerbated a [beaver] problem that we might not have had."

The area experienced more than five inches of rain above average in November, according to weather.com meteorologist Chris Dolce. The three-month period from Sept. 15 to Dec. 15 ranks as the ninth wettest month on record for Boston.

"The City of Framingham regrets that it was placed into a set of circumstances that resulted in the demise of the beavers," the city wrote.

Officials said that nearly $40,000 had been spent in the last few weeks on pumping costs to try and lower the water levels to no avail.

Water levels near the dams rose more than four feet above average, leading to the closure of Singletary Lane on several occasions. The flooding created dangerous conditions along the road, which is used twice daily by more than a dozen school buses.

Normally, the city would have elected to use something known as a "Beaver Deceiver," which uses a rectangular fence to prevent beavers from building a dam and blocking a waterway, according to Beavers: Wetlands & Wildlife.

However, Framingham officials said water levels were so extreme that it was too late to use the "Beaver Deceiver."

Massachusetts regulations do not allow for trappers to relocate beavers to other regions because the animal could be killed attempting to return home, struggle to find necessities in a new area, or spread disease, if already diseased, the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife said.

Unfortunately, most cases in trapping result in the animals being euthanized, the city said.

Even then, removing the beavers won't offer a permanent solution, since another population will likely move into the same area.

“Newcomers are inevitable so long as the area attracts them, leading to an endless killing cycle at the taxpayers’ expense," said Stephanie Bell, senior director of cruelty casework for PETA.

Long-term planning is something McArthur and the Conservation Commission hope to accomplish so future culling can be avoided.

“I would hope that in the future other means can be proposed,” he said.

Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness. Let's play teh Mafia goodness.

Of course it's Massholes. An entire population that is secretly gay and is trying to destroy anything beautiful that reminds them of a vagina. Try to cull me, and I'll show them my Beaver Deceiver.

RIP my brethren

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Some dude who fed a sick puppy to a snapping turtle in front of his students was let off from all charges today. Should feed him to a snapping turtle. 

I'd rather throw him in a lion cage but to each their own.

35 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Did he even have a reason for doing so?

Idk the story. If I had to guess it would be to demonstrate the power of the snapping turtles jaws or something.

Regardless it's pretty sick and was a bad idea whatever the truth may be.

13 hours ago, Nolder said:

Idk the story. If I had to guess it would be to demonstrate the power of the snapping turtles jaws or something.

Regardless it's pretty sick and was a bad idea whatever the truth may be. 

Next time they should make him use his penis.

Archived