For the fire MAC guys, he set us up well.

Jetfan13

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I understand those that don't like him, I'm still on the fence but he has made a lot of good moves, did get us our franchise QB and I believe his moves would have looked a lot better w/ a competent HC(who he did not hire).

I would argue that Bowles has been put in a position with NO way out because of Mac.  Getting Sam was because the Ahole MAC drafted Hack and ignored Mahommes and Watson.  He then traded 3 2nds to fix his error and you credit him for that? OK, THEN, he was lucky the Browns and Giants didnt take him.

Half of Mac's picks are either gone or out of the league. He had 100 mil in Cap space when he came here and the roster is now worse than it was in 2014.

I hate Bowles but no HC could win with this roster.  

mac built one of the worst rosters in football and a team competing for last place in the entire league-there is no reason to keep him around-he brought in three scrubs from the 1-15 browns in FA to be our offensive core not too long ago in josh crowell and pryor -worst money ever spent-anybody defending mac should be out the door with him

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I understand those that don't like him, I'm still on the fence but he has made a lot of good moves, did get us our franchise QB and I believe his moves would have looked a lot better w/ a competent HC(who he did not hire).

Question for you......what skills that a good GM possesses has Mac ever exhibited that would make you even think of trusting him to pick a head coach?

2 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

6. NEW YORK JETS: $18.352 MILLION (2019: $107,034,376)

8596350.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sam Darnold (Photo: Geoff Burke, USA TODAY Sports)

Total Cap: $176.1 million

Active Cap: $125.3 million

Dead Cap: $25.3 million

Adjustments: $17.3 million

This isn't a good thing.  Having no good players worth giving pricey extensions 4 years into a regime means the GM has done quite the opposite of "setting us up well". 

Outside of Darnold, how many players on the Jets can you name that we could trade, right now, for a 1st round pick?

one reason to launch mac is because he will most likely be on a short leash and the new coach may not want a gm who is going to be terminated after a season or two.  and this is especially so if mac has a major hand in choosing the new coach.  i know this has been brought up be fore and it's important enough to keep at the forefront of the discussion.  if the jets are planning to replace mac and then go to a system where the gm chooses the coach they had better start getting a guy in place asap.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This isn't a good thing.  Having no good players worth spending money on 4 years into a regime means the GM has done quite the opposite of "setting us up well". 

Outside of Darnold, how many players on the Jets can you name that we could trade, right now, for a 1st round pick?

Only Adams comes to mind.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Question for you......what skills that a good GM posses has Mac ever exhibited that would make you even think of trusting him to pick a head coach?

very valid point.  that plus mac's time with the jets is apparently limited.  why would a coach come to the team that's going to replace the gm in a season or two?

I don't care how much cap space is available, a new GM should pick a new coach for the 2019 Jets.  Mac and Bowles have run their course here and firing one and retaining the other just repeats the dysfunctional cycle of stupidity this team is been stuck in for a long time. 

37 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I would argue that Bowles has been put in a position with NO way out because of Mac.  Getting Sam was because the Ahole MAC drafted Hack and ignored Mahommes and Watson.  He then traded 3 2nds to fix his error and you credit him for that? OK, THEN, he was lucky the Browns and Giants didnt take him.

Half of Mac's picks are either gone or out of the league. He had 100 mil in Cap space when he came here and the roster is now worse than it was in 2014.

I hate Bowles but no HC could win with this roster.  

Sorry, I disagree. While the roster is thin, a better coach could have easily win more than 4 games. Obviously this isn't a Super Bowl roster but better coaching might not have let a cold rookie QB step off the bench & bring his team back down 14, or let Matt Barkley waltzed into MetLife & look like Joe Montana, or hold the Dolphins to 13 points on the road & still lose, or turn a 16-0 lead in Nashville, and lose by allowing a TD drive in the last 2 minutes, or refuse to double the only offensive player the Texans have after their starting RB went down & allow him to go for 170 yards & score 2 TDs.

Todd Bowles is the worst coach I've ever watched here including Kotite. At least Kotite could spot talent & allowed an UDFA to rise to one of the best slot WRs in our history. He is bottom of the barrel bad!

Also keep in mind, drafting a QB was plan B. He tried, Desperately, to give a JAG QB without a playoff win, $90 million.

It’s one thing to have a young QB to build around the current talentless roster. Another entirely to give $90mm for 3 years to a QB on a team that will require 3 years to build a contending roster.

His inability to do what he wanted (his own incompetence) is the reason we have Darnold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mac made one good move, based on where he stood at the time-He traded 3 second round picks for Darnold.

He passed over Mahomes and Watson for Adams.  I am not calling that a good move. 

Jenkins, Shell, Edwards and Anderson were good draft picks.  

He needed to do more good things in 4 years to keep his job.  

Giving Macc the keys to hiring the next HC just to see if his sh*t roster can win with another guy in charge is among the worst arguments for keeping him.

Sure, yeah.  Let's give the guy who f***ed us a chance to f*** us 3+ more years by letting him select our HC.  Sure, yeah, he's earned that privilege. 

First order of business for the Johnsons is to change the management structure where the HC reports to the GM. 

As far as Mac I’m on the fence but, if he is retained, he should hire or have input with hiring the next HC. 

I do give him credit for drafting a franchise QB because his trade on St. Patrick’s Day put us in position to draft Darnold, he didn’t just fall into our lap. 

I want to believe this too and I would be willing to give him one more year

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

The problem with giving him one more year is exactly the problem with this organization.

What coach wants to come to a team that knows the GM is going to be fired next year?

Then we have to hire a new GM and allow him to hire his coach, or force a coach down the GM’s throat. Rinse and repeat. Do it right for once.

They both need to go, hire Mackenzie and let him pick his coach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Gotta give him credit, in four years he’s built a roster so abominably sh*tty he literally has no players to extend

Not nearly as depressing as the premise the Johnson brothers either don’t care  enough or know enough to do anything about it. 

Maybe Bit is right and the Johnsons are Eboneezer Scrooge’s in training and really don’t want to spend money on this team? Scared money always loses so maybe that’s it?

The small bit of goodness in my heart really doesn’t want to think they could be actually dumb enough to not realize it. It’s modestly less disturbing if  it’s the old,” you better bring my change back.” Thing. 

I don’t know. 

Macc's journey toward getting Darnold:

1) Try to sign perpetually mediocre Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed $90 million contract.

2) Allow Heimerdinger to come up with trade with Colts to move up to 3.

3) Prepare for Josh Allen to be the pick at 3.

4) Get lucky that the Giants did not take Darnold.

Let that guy choose our next coach, get another draft, and spend $100+ million in resources.  Goooo Macc!!

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc's journey toward getting Darnold:

1) Try to sign perpetually mediocre Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed $90 million contract.

2) Allow Heimerdinger to come up with trade with Colts to move up to 3.

3) Prepare for Josh Allen to be the pick at 3.

4) Get lucky that the Giants did not take Darnold.

Let that guy choose our next coach, get another draft, and spend $100+ million in resources.  Goooo Macc!!

The fact that he went all in on Cousins as his plan A negates anything positive from having Darnold fall into his lap.  If Maccagnan really had his way, you would have Kirk Cousins making $90 million guaranteed for the next 3 years.  Asinine.  

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Also keep in mind, drafting a QB was plan B. He tried, Desperately, to give a JAG QB without a playoff win, $90 million.

I actually don't think this is true.

He spent all of last year obsessed with Darnold.  Making many trips to go see him.

I think he knew what would get the deal done with Cousins and did just enough to appear as though he was trying, without actually getting him.

Remember, much of the foolish sports media/"experts" and most of our fan base wanted Cousins.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  

Thankfully Macc saw through the BS and just humored the fans and media.  That's a sign of a great manager/leader.

Might even come in handy when determining what to do with Bowles.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

The fact that he went all in on Cousins as his plan A negates anything positive from having Darnold fall into his lap.  If Maccagnan really had his way, you would have Kirk Cousins making $90 million guaranteed for the next 3 years.  Asinine.  

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I actually don't think this is true.

He spent all of last year obsessed with Darnold.  Making many trips to go see him.

I think he knew what would get the deal done with Cousins and did just enough to appear as though he was trying, without actually getting him.

Remember, much of the foolish sports media/"experts" and most of our fan base wanted Cousins.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  

Thankfully Macc saw through the BS and just humored the fans/media.  That's a sign of a great kanager/leader.

Might even come in handy when determining what to do with Bowles.

More realistically, Macc really wanted Cousins, but Kirk used the Jets as leverage to get a little more money out of Minnesota. 

Do you really think Macc was some kind of mastermind in all of this?  That he had no fear that Cousins would "call his bluff" and accept the offer?

Archived