SUTTON: Rising Stars: Emerging standouts (2002 article) ~ ~

kelly

Rising Stars: Emerging standouts

By Pat Kirwan / Special to NFL.com

Pat Kirwan, an experienced coach and NFL front office executive, joined NFL.com this season. From 1989 to 1997, Kirwan held several positions with the New York Jets, including defensive assistant coach, assistant pro personnel director and director of player administration. He has managed the salary cap, negotiated player contracts and trades, and evaluated pro and college player personnel. Prior to joining the Jets, Pat was a scout for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Arizona Cardinals as well as the offensive coordinator at Hofstra University for six years. He most recently wrote for CNNSi.

(Sept. 12, :wink: 2002 :wink: ) -- Each week, I'll highlight emerging players in the NFL -- guys who are taking the next big step in their respective careers. Whether it's moving from unknown to starter or from starter to star, I'll be talking with coaches and personnel people around the league and offering my own observations to bring you the league's "Rising Stars."

~ ~ ~ 5. Bob Sutton, New York Jets linebackers coach

Sutton is in his second year in the NFL and with the Jets. He was a college defensive coordinator at three major universities and head coach at West Point, where he brought the Cadets to a bowl game and won 44 games over nine seasons. At one point in 1995-96, West Point won 11 straight games. He ranks second in wins to Red Blake in Cadets history.

Sutton is known as an excellent teacher, and his positive effects were recognized in the Jets' overtime win over the Buffalo Bills. His starting three linebackers -- Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis and Sam Cowart -- combined for a remarkable 41 tackles and 11 assists. When your linebackers are in on 52 tackles during one game, someone is doing a heck of a job coaching them all week. Of course, that guy is Bob Sutton. From what I hear around the league, he'll be a candidate for a number of coordinator jobs next season, if not a head coaching position. He has the credentials and is now starting to get the recognition.

> http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/5707012

Rising Stars: Emerging standouts

By Pat Kirwan / Special to NFL.com

Pat Kirwan, an experienced coach and NFL front office executive, joined NFL.com this season. From 1989 to 1997, Kirwan held several positions with the New York Jets, including defensive assistant coach, assistant pro personnel director and director of player administration. He has managed the salary cap, negotiated player contracts and trades, and evaluated pro and college player personnel. Prior to joining the Jets, Pat was a scout for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Arizona Cardinals as well as the offensive coordinator at Hofstra University for six years. He most recently wrote for CNNSi.

(Sept. 12, :wink: 2002 :wink: ) -- Each week, I'll highlight emerging players in the NFL -- guys who are taking the next big step in their respective careers. Whether it's moving from unknown to starter or from starter to star, I'll be talking with coaches and personnel people around the league and offering my own observations to bring you the league's "Rising Stars."

~ ~ ~ 5. Bob Sutton, New York Jets linebackers coach

Sutton is in his second year in the NFL and with the Jets. He was a college defensive coordinator at three major universities and head coach at West Point, where he brought the Cadets to a bowl game and won 44 games over nine seasons. At one point in 1995-96, West Point won 11 straight games. He ranks second in wins to Red Blake in Cadets history.

Sutton is known as an excellent teacher, and his positive effects were recognized in the Jets' overtime win over the Buffalo Bills. His starting three linebackers -- Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis and Sam Cowart -- combined for a remarkable 41 tackles and 11 assists. When your linebackers are in on 52 tackles during one game, someone is doing a heck of a job coaching them all week. Of course, that guy is Bob Sutton. From what I hear around the league, he'll be a candidate for a number of coordinator jobs next season, if not a head coaching position. He has the credentials and is now starting to get the recognition.

> http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/5707012

Thanks big time for that because honestly I had no clue who he was. #-o I feel better now.

Archived