Off Topic - Star Wars

JetFanatic

Hey guys I know this is off topic but I wanted to throw it out there since you guys are always so informative.  I've decided to watch the Star Wars movies during my week off since I've never seen any and I can't get the order in which to watch them down.  I've been hearing differing opinions so I wanted to see what you guys thought.  What order should I watch these movies in?

Thanks guys and sorry for putting this here.

If it's your first time watching them, then it definitely has to be in order of release, regardless of whether or not you watch anything beyond the original trilogy.  After you watch those 3, you can let your own personal interest in those determine whether or not you want to continue on with any of the others.  Just figure that out for yourself after Jedi, as in truth, the rest are neither as horrible, nor as great, as those on either extreme try to argue.

While some can debate about the order to watch them once going back and re-watching them, the films were all written with the assumption that you had already seen those previously released, regardless of whether they occur before or after in the timeline, so there will be plenty of missing explanations if watched in another order.

43 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Rogue One, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8

Don't bother with episode 1 - it sucks and adds literally nothing to the story. 

While I get the general idea, I seriously doubt Rogue One would have received the same level of appreciation as it did by many if it were the first one seen by them.  There's a lot of things that would be out of context and/or meaningless.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I get the general idea, I seriously doubt Rogue One would have received the same level of appreciation as it did by many if it were the first one seen by them.  There's a lot of things that would be out of context and/or meaningless.

I was trying to think of a good place to put it but since it's not really part of the Skywalker saga but touches on events in the saga and its such a great movie, it needs to be watched. 

28 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I was trying to think of a good place to put it but since it's not really part of the Skywalker saga but touches on events in the saga and its such a great movie, it needs to be watched. 

Oh I agree it's definitely worth watching, but probably just makes sense to throw in after the fact for those reasons.

3 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Solo needs to be watched as well, but that can be watched last.

4 hours ago, peebag said:

dump them all and watch the newer Star Trek movies.

YUP ! Was always a Trekkie and not that much into Star Wars. Chris Pine is a great James T Kirk. I'm a little concerned since he seems to total a lot of Enterprises . lol

Watch all of them in the order that they were released. No doubt it's the obvious way to go.

The original trilogy (77-83) are the only ones that are "essential viewing" but despite many hating them you might find that you like the prequels or Disney era ones.

From my experience though, Star Wars doesn't generally resonate as much with people who don't see the films as kids so you might not like any of them.

On 12/18/2018 at 10:12 AM, JetFanatic said:

Hey guys I know this is off topic but I wanted to throw it out there since you guys are always so informative.  I've decided to watch the Star Wars movies during my week off since I've never seen any and I can't get the order in which to watch them down.  I've been hearing differing opinions so I wanted to see what you guys thought.  What order should I watch these movies in?

Thanks guys and sorry for putting this here.

What? Never seen them? What planet are you on? 3 year olds are laughing their butts off at this.  Get to it and catch up. May the cable be with you. 

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You need to be watching Ewoks in tandem with Droids. Come on, everyone knows that, get it together. 

I like to go back and forth sometimes between the Holiday Special and Phantom Menace. Then I read essays that people put hours of their personal time into explaining why everyone has to hate Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. It's a good time.

That is pretty amazing "Fanatic" ... How is it possible you'd never seen any!?!

did you just make parole on a 50-life sentence?

please do not watch anything besides 4,5,&6

Viewing the other's would be worse torture than jail

On 12/21/2018 at 5:55 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I like to go back and forth sometimes between the Holiday Special and Phantom Menace. Then I read essays that people put hours of their personal time into explaining why everyone has to hate Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. It's a good time.

Carrie Fischer on several occasions mentioned that she was so altered during the filming, she doesn't even remember filming it. LOL. 

Did you ever watch "How Star Wars was saved in the edit"? Brilliant view into how Lucas had fundamentally great ideas, but was terrible at actually implementing, pacing, and filming them.  Had the editors not completely reorganized the movie (STAR WARS) it would have been a total disaster. ESB and ROTJ were directes by Kasdan and Marchand, not Lucas.

We got clued into Lucas' poor ability to actually portray his vision with the Special Edition re-edits. "Add more rocks and then block the scene with a CGI monster! And add more physical comedy!!".... And the most ominous harbinger of things to come....the cartoon monster musical number stuffed into ROTJ. WTF. 

So we all should have known what we would get from the preqs. Ham handed direction and out of place absurdity. But there is a good movie to be parsed together out of the 3 prequel films, they just never got the independent edit that STAR WARS got. 

The Force Awakens was the vultures of Disney picking over the bones of the OT (I 'member that! I 'member him!!) And providing high quality fan service wrap up with boring new characters. 

And 8 was just trash that waves its cock at the "old fanboy haters" while it sh*ts down the throat of the OTs primary character and then calls it "subverting expectations". Whatever. As I said elsewhere, I got the message and I'm out. My kids (their target audience 7 and 10 year old boys), only watch the OT,  play with the toys from the OT, and always pick OT characters when playing Battlefront. And they do that on their own...

And when we watched the Disney SW land preview we realized they completely ignore pre-Disney SW. Lame. 

Getting old sucks. LOL. Its not the years, kid, its the cynicism.

Connor reenacting the Battle of Hoth right now in the living room....lol

20181227_173633.thumb.jpg.4aab67a6c6f7a09f47c47fe569fd5ed4.jpg

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, Klecko73isGod said:

Rogue One, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8

Don't bother with episode 1 - it sucks and adds literally nothing to the story. 

The only thing I appreciated from episode 1 was the darth maul battle with qui gon and obi wan. Was cool to see how advanced the light saber battles had become from the original trilogy 20 years prior. 

Archived