Free Agent Offensive Linemen

Philc1

33 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Not long term answers. Wouldn't bother. Save guys like them for after we build a solid line foundation. 

We kind of have to spend the money on a few guys who aren't "long term answers".  Mostly in an effort to keep Darnold upright over the course of his rookie deal.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We kind of have to spend the money on a few guys who aren't "long term answers".  Mostly in an effort to keep Darnold upright over the course of his rookie deal.

yep then draft OL for the next 2 years along with RB's and WR's

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I want Matt Paradis at C and Trent Brown at OT.  

I'd love to steal Brown from the Patriots. Perfect scenario, let Dante Scarnechia get him up to speed & than steal him away. Helps us, hurts them (they drafted Wynn in the 1st round/be great if he turns out to be not as good as Brown). 

53 minutes ago, tfine said:

Jonathan Harrison has done a nice job at center. I think we are set at center and guard. I am more concerned with tackle

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

To be fair, that's what we said about Wesley Johnson when he replaced Mangold midseason.  JH has done a solid job stepping in but I think we should still explore those avenues. Depth never hurt anyone, especially with Shell going down.

With that said, once Long moved over and Harrison stepped in, it has definitely been an improvement.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Not every free agent signing can be a 26 year old player that will be around for the rest of his career.  In fact most of the available talent pool in free agency are guys who will only be stop gap 2 year players.  They buy time for your draft picks to develop and step in.  Only on this team there isn’t any of those so we are left looking for long term starting options in free agency.  

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

To be fair, that's what we said about Wesley Johnson when he replaced Mangold midseason.  JH has done a solid job stepping in but I think we should still explore those avenues. Depth never hurt anyone, especially with Shell going down.

With that said, once Long moved over and Harrison stepped in, it has definitely been an improvement.

True but in a short 16 game season "better late than never" doesn't apply :) 

We need to go overboard with Olineman because our bench players are terrible. Sign Trent Brown, Paradis, draft a top Center/Guard at the top of the 3rd. That gives us great depth with Beachum, and Shell (when he returns), you still have Long at LG, Winters at RG, a young tough pick at 3 to develop. I just picture Darnold with upgraded skill positions & having actual TIME in the pocket. 

Paradis has to be the biggest target outside of EDGE players in FA. He upgrades us and gives us depth in the interior. Also he’ll be 30 and he’s not heavy so he could last til 33/34 years old. If Mangold was in better shape he’d have last a few more years at center but he always had kind of a belly. 

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We need to go overboard with Olineman because our bench players are terrible. Sign Trent Brown, Paradis, draft a top Center/Guard at the top of the 3rd. That gives us great depth with Beachum, and Shell (when he returns), you still have Long at LG, Winters at RG, a young tough pick at 3 to develop. I just picture Darnold with upgraded skill positions & having actual TIME in the pocket. 

I really hope we can sign both Brown and Paradis, then have the room to draft a different position in the first. Then, like you said, draft a lineman in the third and he'll have a chance to develop a little bit. That is best case scenario. I hope it comes true..

Side note: That recent stat about Darnold not being so good when he doesn't face pressure is weird. Looking back to last year at USC and this year, he's just not used to having time haha. I think if Darnold has a run game he will dominate.

The long term solution is to draft OL and other positions, but the Jets are in a position to grossly overpay for stop gap OL that should get us into the playoffs in 2019-2021 without negative long-term ramifications.

But FA is only an interim step.  Drafting better and offering extensions before contract expiration to good players is the only long term hope.

Has Mac extended anyone mid-contract?

I’d happily sign very good OL players who might only be here for a couple of seasons, while drafting their replacements in the draft.

It might actually be better than hoping to get a Center in round 3, hoping he learns on the fly while not risking Darnold’s development.

Solidify the line as best as you can every year until Darnold has reached his prime and can make line adjustments in the blink of an eye and command that line and offense.

Right now with Shell likely out for the start of next season, a starting C/LG and a RT are a necessity in free agency.  Then ideally you need some depth guys because without Shell you only have Beachum, Long and Winters under contract.  Then you need to address WR since only Peake is under contract for 2019.  That’s at least 4 more starting caliber players.  Not going to be inexpensive to fill all those holes.  Then you need to find a CB, Edge rusher also not cheap.  

So bottom line, the idea of spending $14 million on a RB like Bell is a luxury that the Jets can’t afford.  

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Right now with Shell likely out for the start of next season, a starting C/LG and a RT are a necessity in free agency.  Then ideally you need some depth guys because without Shell you only have Beachum, Long and Winters under contract.  Then you need to address WR since only Peake is under contract for 2019.  That’s at least 4 more starting caliber players.  Not going to be inexpensive to fill all those holes.  Then you need to find a CB, Edge rusher also not cheap.  

So bottom line, the idea of spending $14 million on a RB like Bell is a luxury that the Jets can’t afford.  

Yeah, I don't see how you fill all of those holes, even with our cap space money unless you bargain shop or get really creative with the contracts. Bell is an absolute luxury, and with a good line I think Eli would be good (if he can stay healthy). Cannon -- not sure about him yet. With all of that said, Bell would upgrade the offense quite a bit. It's a lot of pressure on the GM. Good.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’d happily sign very good OL players who might only be here for a couple of seasons, while drafting their replacements in the draft.

It might actually be better than hoping to get a Center in round 3, hoping he learns on the fly while not risking Darnold’s development.

Solidify the line as best as you can every year until Darnold has reached his prime and can make line adjustments in the blink of an eye and command that line and offense.

Exactly, I don't want a rookie starting center next year. Sign Paradis, Draft the best Center/Guard in the 3rd to develop in the new system so he's ready when you move on from the veteran. That's what GOOD teams do. Spending a sh*tload of money won't hurt our future at all AS LONG AS WE DRAFT WELL and have young guys developing. Everyone bashes Macc for not extending players but look at it now. Thank god he didn't extend Enunwa (guy can't stay healthy), Anderson? He can tender him for 4 million ( plus it keeps him inline/does any Jet fan feel comfortable giving Robbie a long term contract with big bucks?), Leo? This guy was so average this year fans want to trade him & no one thinks he's worth 14 million! 

Sorry Jet fans, Macc has been right so far not extending anyone because there is no one worthy of extending! Yes, part of that is bad drafting but at least he's not doubling his mistake. I think he learned a lot from that Mo extension (weren't Mo & Bowles like buddy, buddy B4 Mo started missing meetings?). I'm positive Bowles was behind Snacks leaving & Mo extension, he is AFTER ALL the Head Coach & the supposed defensive genius. Those moves were not made by Macc in a vacuum.

37 minutes ago, Drums said:

Well said. I agree with this mindset.  We need to load up.

The move also illustrates in a potent way just how inept Bowles is as a HC. It took way too long to make that adjustment from Long at Center. 

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well said. I agree with this mindset.  We need to load up.

The move also illustrates in a potent way just how inept Bowles is as a HC. It took way too long to make that adjustment from Long at Center. 

Waaaaay too long -- no pun intended.

He is loyal to a fault. Same goes with our DC and Kearse is still starting.

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Yeah, I don't see how you fill all of those holes, even with our cap space money unless you bargain shop or get really creative with the contracts. Bell is an absolute luxury, and with a good line I think Eli would be good (if he can stay healthy). Cannon -- not sure about him yet. With all of that said, Bell would upgrade the offense quite a bit. It's a lot of pressure on the GM. Good.

It’s about what the priorities should be.  O-line obviously a priority.  Signing some receivers obviously a priority.  Edge rusher, priority.  CB priority.   

You have to go pretty far down the list to get to the $14 million dollar RB IMO.  

21 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Keeping my fingers crossed that our new GM feels the same way.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

C - Paradis

T - Brown

Edge - DeMarcus Lawrence

RB - Ingram

Roll into the draft looking to trade down to pick up an extra 1st next year or a 2 this year and take BPA at WR and then target C and G in the 3rd.

We don't need Ingram, Sean Payton always uses Kamara in the Redzone, Ingram is just a bit bigger McGuire, a backup RB.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

C - Paradis

T - Brown

Edge - DeMarcus Lawrence

RB - Ingram

Roll into the draft looking to trade down to pick up an extra 1st next year or a 2 this year and take BPA at WR and then target C and G in the 3rd.

Jerrah ain't letting Lawrence out of Dallas, not gonna happen.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

First 4 picks need to be two OL and two Off skilled

Unless you think Josh Allen is the edge rusher you've been missing? WE GET ZERO PRESSURE without blitzing! With a new DC, a new scheme on the backend, we should be fine. Pass rush helps the secondary. 

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Yeah it’s exactly that thinking that got us locked into a disastrous season of Wesley Johnson, Wayne Hunter and Anthony Clement

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Unless you think Josh Allen is the edge rusher you've been missing? WE GET ZERO PRESSURE without blitzing! With a new DC, a new scheme on the backend, we should be fine. Pass rush helps the secondary. 

All I care about is Sam Darnold next year. I’ll worry about competing for a Super Bowl next.

Mac has always sought the “ deal OL” remember he pushed out Dbrick for a few bucks. Clady, etc etc.. all injury prone OLs. Mac just has no understanding, respect for OLs.. why he has never drafted 1 in 4 years before six round. He is a complete joke, doesnt seem to me like the type of guy who admits how wrong he has been, and now all of a sudden “ over pay” reach in draft for OL. Every other team is doing that.. why he is stuck with the left overs, late picks..

6 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Not long term answers. Wouldn't bother. Save guys like them for after we build a solid line foundation. 

We don't need long term answers.  We need answers.  If we wait for long term answers to fill the glaring hole in the offensive line we will kill our QB.  Sign whoever is an immediate upgrade and then spend two picks on long term solutions.

Archived