Maccagnan is demonstrably horrible

I'm not sure why calling out the amount of money given matters. We are hugely under the cap regardless- it's not your money. The criticism is valid if there were alternative signing/moves to be made for the same $$$ that would have resulted on better talent on the field. Was that the case? 99% of the time you will "overpay" in FA.... it's the nature of it. Whats the alternative? Not sign anyone and go 0-16?

• Thumb Down 2

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When the Johnsons replace Bowles but leave Moron Mac in charge, then we will have certified proof that the Johnsons are mentally defective.

For the love of God, they neeed to replace Maccagnan.  Leaving him in charge just resets the same failed hiring pattern over again.  Need a clean sweep and need the new HC to report to the GM instead of the imbecile brothers.  Ortherwise the next 5 years will be just like the past 15years.

More likely, the lucky sperm duo will replace the captain of the Titanic with with captain of the Hindenburg.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We are lucky to have people on this website with the passion and dedication to write articles like this for us, for free. Well researched, enlightening, and intelligent. Meanwhile, Brian Costello is in his car eating a bag of Egg McMuffins trying to find synonyms for “dynamic” so he can patch together another 300 word sub-MySpace level blog post about Jamal Adams making the pro bowl. Great job, @Sperm Edwards

Not even you can say this is a bad thing, but your point about our beat writers is certainly valid.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Brandon Marshall at $9MM, but the reality to the story is he was given to us by a Bears team that wanted him not just gone, but gone specifically to the Jets so we wouldn't draft a "#1" WR in the slot ahead of them the following month. Any draft pick they got in return was gravy.

The silver lining is that the #1 WR the Bears picked right after Leonard has 24 catches.  5 since 2016.  his shining moment was against the Pats this year when he caught a 54 yard Hail Mary as time expired when the Bears were 55 yards from the end zone.  The silver lining for the Bears is that they drafted 4 year starter "impact" safety Adrian Amos with the pick we gave them.  

Bilal Powell. I've liked Powell better than most, I think, but as a GM you sign either Forte or you sign Powell, not both. Pick one veteran, then draft young players for this youngest-man's position. Locking himself into both of these guys for 2 years - plus the compensatory draft pick each cost - undoubtedly influenced undervaluing RB prospects' worth to the Jets when our picks were coming up. Instead of Kamara or Hunt (current news on the latter notwithstanding), the "value" move for Macc was trading down ...and drafting Ardarius Stewart.

When a GM surrenders a compensatory draft pick or fails to trade a player for a pick, it's the same as trading a pick itself instead of keeping it. He's choosing one over the other. Well in 2016 alone, Maccagnan was prepared to trade away 4 draft picks so he could sign/re-sign Jarvis Jenkins, Matt Forte, Bilal Powell, and Steve McLendon (I'd throw in Fitz in there but a team is limited to 4 compensatory picks in any one season; so swap him in place of any of the other 4 if you like). Think those draft picks weren't valuable? He did, and he spent half the ensuing 2017 draft trading down to get them all back, and in doing so drafted inferior prospects. He really stinks at this.

Ben Ijalana. Though this 2017 FA signing seems insignificant amid some of these whoppers, it should be noted that even after seeing up close what little he brought, and after signing Beachum to a 3-year deal, Maccagnan then signed Ijalana for nearly $6MM for that same 2017 season (eventually declining the following year option at ~$5MM). What this did was effectively make a meh but not unreasonable Beachum UFA signing at $8MM per in actuality a $14MM signing for the Beachum-Ijalana duo at left tackle. For 2017 the Jets spent as much on that Beachum-Ijalana duo as any other NFL team spent for its left tackle starter+backup combo. This was in a planned tank offseason, no less; if Beachum was bad again what would have been the harm? It's not like Ijalana is the cure to left tackle ills anyway.

Powell and Ijalana both bother me because they were allowed to hit the market in 2016 and got no bites.  Both came back on cheap 1 year deals.  Like Cromartie, Maccagnan then handed them both huge raises for longer terms after underwhelming seasons.  WTF?  Cromartie was actually my favorite because they announced it as $8M per for 4 or something and we all went ballistic.  Then when we found out only the 1st was guaranteed there was a collective sigh of relief and it got us off the fact that he should have only gotten $3.5M. Worse, the few Mac supporters cite that deal as skillfully drafted because "we could get out of it easily" with no dead money.  Of course not, half the money we gave him in 2015 was "dead money."  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

WE NEVR SAID THAT!!!

ALL WE SAID IS HE WOOD OF BEEN SUCSESSFUL IF HE WAS ALOUD TO FIRE BOLLES AND PICK HIS OWN HEAD COACH!!!1111!!

TOTALY DIFFRENT YOU AZZHAT

The path of least resistance is best. Why talk to a wall? It’s easier to agree to disagree with others sometimes.  Even though you provided excellent detail and I agree 100%, don’t worry about what the “few” that want Mac back.

They can have their own opinions. I think they are completely wrong but that’s the beauty of an opinion. If they can’t be convinced after your post, nothing will change their minds and that’s ok. Being well thought out and providing excellent analysis is great for both sides to read. I just wouldn’t worry about them and their opinions at all.

I personally don’t want to convince anyone and I don’t care what other people think. I just want my f*ckin team to seize the moment and help Sam get us to the promised land. Mac is ruining this team and I just want what’s best for the team. That’s all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I'm not sure why calling out the amount of money given matters. We are hugely under the cap regardless- it's not your money. The criticism is valid if there were alternative signing/moves to be made for the same $$$ that would have resulted on better talent on the field. Was that the case? 99% of the time you will "overpay" in FA.... it's the nature of it. 

When your main talent is accumulating and maintaining cap space, it certainly matters.  His talent is having money to spend and then his defense on spending it needlessly or on sh*t is, we had to spend the money, it's not yours, what are you whining about?

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

More likely, the lucky sperm duo will replace the captain of the Titanic with with captain of the Hindenburg.

Oh the humanity!  As someone currently living out of market, I welcome the disaster being national televised.

• Upvote 1

Everything we've done since 2015 has a defensive lean to it. Considering our Head Coach is averse to offense, I'd say giving the old heave ho to Mr. Todd Bowles will have the most positive affect on this Jets organization going forward. 

Its not a surprise to me that the 2015 free agent splurge looked like this..Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist. If that doesn't scream Todd Bowles is the Head Coach, I don't know what people are missing. Oh, and Darron Lee, Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, MARCUS MAYE again in the 2nd? I can hear Macc saying, "Did we get enough defensive players for your scheme to work Todd?". 

Darnold & a new head coach changes everything, if we can't get guys to come here BECAUSE of Macc, he'll be fired, end of story. QB is in place, new uniforms are being designed, the rebranding of the New York Jets doesn't get off the ground when they announce John Defilipo as the new Head Coach. I see Macc basically neutered & the new guy IN CHARGE. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I'm not sure why calling out the amount of money given matters. We are hugely under the cap regardless- it's not your money. The criticism is valid if there were alternative signing/moves to be made for the same $$$ that would have resulted on better talent on the field. Was that the case? 99% of the time you will "overpay" in FA.... it's the nature of it. 

Did you even read what Sperm wrote?

It's not just the amount of money wasted.  It's what these moves cost us in a domino-like effect that really matters. 

There WERE alternatives to signing these dead weight guys.  It centered on not signing any of those UFA's at all, picking up some compensatory picks on the way, building via the draft, and filling those roster slots with non-UFA's (like UDFA's and cut players). 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We are lucky to have people on this website with the passion and dedication to write articles like this for us, for free. Well researched, enlightening, and intelligent. Meanwhile, Brian Costello is in his car eating a bag of Egg McMuffins trying to find synonyms for “dynamic” so he can patch together another 300 word sub-MySpace level blog post about Jamal Adams making the pro bowl. Great job, @Sperm Edwards

This. I was literally having a convo with Sperm a week or two ago about how Jetnation's forum is more entertaining/competent than the Jets organization. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not just the amount of money wasted.  It's what these moves cost us in a domino-like effect that really matters. 

There WERE alternatives to signing these dead weight guys.  It centered on not signing any of those UFA's at all, picking up some compensatory picks on the way, building via the draft, and filling those roster slots with non-UFA's (like UDFA's and cut players). 

Think of all the money we saved not signing Snacks! He did a great job signing McClendon a solid, worse player that is also significantly older! Kudos!

• Upvote 2

nice list and much appreciated.  not much to defend mac about.  i guess one thing that can be said is in many ways mac is overpaying because the jets haven't been successful.  it's going to be somewhat difficult to achieve some sort of success without getting a couple of really good drafts.

Edited by slats
quoting an entire Sperm post
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agree with you re: SE articles, but please take your Jamal Adams takes with you back to your Solomon Thomas fanclub (remember how hard you stanned for him?)

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

in all fairness saying there were alternatives to the free agents is not exactly right.  in the first place a free agent has got to want to play for the jets.  in the second the jets chronic poor record scares away those players who want to play on a winner.  some players just don't want to be part of the solution.