Maccagnan is demonstrably horrible

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Q: What's funny about defending Maccagnan by pointing out how smart he was to not sign Allen Robinson?

A: Maccagnan offered Robinson a same/similar contract. He was one of the illustrious 5 who told Maccagnan to piss off after using him to up his dollars elsewhere. 

Q: What's funny about defending Maccagnan by pointing out how smart he was to not sign Sammy Watkins?

A: Maccagnan offered Watkins a same/similar contract. He was also one of the illustrious 5 who told Maccagnan to piss off after using him to up his dollars elsewhere. 

Q: What's funny about defending Maccagnan by pointing out how smart he was to not sign Kirk Cousins?

A: Maccagnan offered Cousins a same/similar contract (this one all-guaranteed at $30MM per year). He was also one of the illustrious 5 who told Maccagnan to piss off after using him to up his dollars elsewhere. 

Q: What's funny about defending Maccagnan by pointing out how smart he was to not sign Allen Hurns?

A: Maccagnan offered Hurns a contract himself. I don't know the details of the Jets' offer on this one, but it's unlikely ours was so far off from his Dallas contract (plus there's no personal income tax down there), and though I don't include him in the "illustrious 5" because he didn't get franchise player money, Hurns undoubtedly used the offer from Macc to get his deal from Dallas.

So 4 of the purportedly foolish FA acquisitions you mention - Robinson, Watkins, Cousins, Hurns - were all offered contracts by Mike Maccagnan before signing elsewhere.

Your point, whether you're aware of it or not, is that spending like crazy on other teams' FAs often results in failure. So tell me what good it is to have saved up all this cap room to spend in FA, with so few Jets players worth using it on to extend. 

Unless the cap space is going to chiefly be used to hang onto your valuable young players, having all this cap space merely means another wave of Maccagnan's regretful FA signings is coming.

First off, tell how what i wrote was in any way in defense of anything Mac has done. I pointed out the mistakes other GM's made in FA's and said Mac has done about as well as most others in this which isn't good at all. If you want to say he sucks because he wasn't  able to sign the list of turds i put out there, have at it. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, what i am saying if you read my original post in thos thread is everyone aquires FA busts. Singling out a GM because he picked up a bunch of bad one year contracts and saying it makes him demonstrably  worse than others is like saying a QB that doesn't  complete every pass he makes is demonstrably  worse than all the others. He is no different in FA than practically  every other GM in the league. Also, saying the money matters because it could have been spent on better players without naming the players is not much of an argument

Yes I read it. The problem is it backfired for you because you either forgot or simply didn't realize that Maccagnan wanted the very players you thought you were cleverly mocking as being unworthy of signing as FAs.

I think you are making far too light of "a bunch of bad one year contracts" as it is not only far more than that, but bears no resemblance to saying a QB with under a 100% completion rate is worse than the rest. As to your last statement, I'd say my post was plenty long enough. You're about the only one who thinks as web forum posts go it was lacking in content and detail. Besides, if I had you'd excuse and shrug that off as either (A) mere 20-20 hindsight, and/or (B) the typical copout answer of "That guy wouldn't have been successful here because Bowles."

Maccagnan is objectively terrible in FA, and cherry-picking 1 poor signing from a handful of teams is hardly an adequate comparison. Tell you what -- if you do for a dozen other teams what I summarized for the Jets to start off this thread then we can start that "they're all the same" discussion, lol.

But his being so bad in FA makes it so hilariously ironic for some fans (and the beat writers who are buying future team access with their fluffy Maccpieces today) to then tout, "Ooooh lookety at all that glorious cap room Big Macc gets to use in FA!" as though it's a good thing that he carries no better success rate in FA than in his failures in the draft.

The Jets will never win a SB with Mike Maccagnan as its GM. That thing will never happen. Not ever.

He is not smart, not competent, has a poor eye for strategy and thinking enough moves ahead, his few successes are either the result of unexpected and not-repeatable luck or still being wrong decisions. He has been an all-around failure here for nearly half a decade. His big kudos from some is that he didn't pass up on drafting the 5th of his 5 FQB-drafting opportunities in 3 years after passing up on 4 of them in the prior 2.

Also he crosses his legs like he has no dickenballs. It's disgusting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You have absolutely no inside info that Macc could have traded up to the 1 or 2 spot in that draft from 20, NONE.

Right. Other than the info that was posted here, and the fact that two teams traded up into the #1 and #2 spots that year. One of them traded from just 5 slots ahead of the Jets, without any pro bowlers being offered in trade, and their team is reaping the benefits of this foresight.

Oops. 

I guess they would have been smarter to Be Like Macc -- keep their picks, draft a mental-case ILB in the middle of round 1, and draft Christian Hackenberg a few slots ahead of us in round 2. Prolly they regret that, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You have absolutely no inside info that Macc could have traded up to the 1 or 2 spot in that draft from 20, NONE.

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Low hanging fruit

Yeah.  I don't get it. It came from his own mouth:

"The short answer is yes," he said. "The short answer is we inquired."   This was his initial answer: "Like with everything that comes up, you do your due diligence. Last year, we inquired about moving up, potentially, in the draft [from No. 6, but stayed there]. Like a lot of teams, we've made inquiries. Once you understand that picks are in play [for being traded], you have to do your due diligence, so you understand all your options."

The Rams and Eagles could move up, but we were some how precluded? Most of the articles rant about going from 8 to 2, but the Eagles started at 13 and worked their way up to 8 moving Alonso and Maxwell.  Wilkerson had plenty of value to add to a move up.

• Upvote 3

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

"The short answer is yes," he said. "The short answer is we inquired."   This was his initial answer: "Like with everything that comes up, you do your due diligence. Last year, we inquired about moving up, potentially, in the draft [from No. 6, but stayed there]. Like a lot of teams, we've made inquiries. Once you understand that picks are in play [for being traded], you have to do your due diligence, so you understand all your options."

The Rams and Eagles could move up, but we were some how precluded? Most of the articles rant about going from 8 to 2, but the Eagles started at 13 and worked their way up to 8 moving Alonso and Maxwell.  Wilkerson was easily worth both of them. 

This was for Wentz right? Or Goff? Because neither of them look good at the moment. 

• Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Rams and Eagles could move up, but we were some how precluded? Most of the articles rant about going from 8 to 2, but the Eagles started at 13 and worked their way up to 8 moving Alonso and Maxwell.  Wilkerson had plenty of value to add to a move up.

You are investing far too much effort.You are investing far too much effort.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Actually I avoided posting in this thread and rarely post in the fire macc thread.  I know you guys like to e high five each other over how terrible macc supposedly is.

Suffice to say I have a different opinion that is shared by the beat writers and many posters here..  macc will be retained and will play a major role in selecting the next hc.  It's not trolling if its true.

Not me. I'm waiting for your line by line rebuttal.

15 hours ago, Jetster said:

You make a lot of great points. I just don't think that Macc is the culprit for all of our troubles. I still claim that we now have Darnold & are heading into the 3rd year of our rebuild with 2020 as the defining year, playoffs or bust. I'm just happy that we're going to try & move forward with a new coaching staff as the one Macc has been working with is one of the worst in our history & that my friend is saying something! I've always said I won't care if the new regime wants Macc out, I will never defend him in that type of scenario. I'd just say, thank you for Sammy!

The bolded part is where you're putting words in my mouth that I didn't say. I never claimed he is the culprit of all our troubles. But keeping him and firing Bowles suggests the opposite of that is true, despite there being a total lack of basis for the opinion.

Let me put it more simply: Maccagnan is terrible. Other people within the Jets organization are also terrible. They should get rid of the terrible people from within the organization.

Maccagnan is in year 4 of his rebuild, not year 3, and he's entering year 5. He termed 2015 a "competitive rebuild" on his own.

See, the way this looks is if he'd drafted 3-4 good players in 2015 instead of sh***ing the bed, then 2015 would have counted as year 1 of his rebuild. But he did sh** the bed, like he piled a mountain of poop with his FA/veteran moves and non-moves that year, so 2015 just gets conveniently deleted as though it never happened.

He is a loser.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He is not smart, not competent, has a poor eye for strategy and thinking enough moves ahead, his few successes are either the result of unexpected and not-repeatable luck or still being wrong decisions. He has been an all-around failure here for nearly half a decade. His big kudos from some is that he didn't pass up on drafting the 5th of his 5 FQB-drafting opportunities 

Also he crosses his legs like he has no dickenballs. It's disgusting. 

See this is my problem with you. You clearly know your facts and know how to state them. But you can’t just blow over the good things he did or just brush them away with “luck”. What you should have done is acknowledged the good things he did and said “Despite those, I think for the most part he is horrible” and then go on about it.

You have to acknowledge both sides of the issue. And I know you will probably blow me off or make a snide remark in my direction, because that’s what you always do to me. But nevertheless, I think it needs to be said. 

As for your last remark, it’s childish and irrelevant. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously, don’t say those things

• Thumb Down 2

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes I read it. The problem is it backfired for you because you either forgot or simply didn't realize that Maccagnan wanted the very players you thought you were cleverly mocking as being unworthy of signing as FAs.

I think you are making far too light of "a bunch of bad one year contracts" as it is not only far more than that, but bears no resemblance to saying a QB with under a 100% completion rate is worse than the rest. As to your last statement, I'd say my post was plenty long enough. You're about the only one who thinks as web forum posts go it was lacking in content and detail. Besides, if I had you'd excuse and shrug that off as either (A) mere 20-20 hindsight, and/or (B) the typical copout answer of "That guy wouldn't have been successful here because Bowles."

Maccagnan is objectively terrible in FA, and cherry-picking 1 poor signing from a handful of teams is hardly an adequate comparison. Tell you what -- if you do for a dozen other teams what I summarized for the Jets to start off this thread then we can start that "they're all the same" discussion, lol.

But his being so bad in FA makes it so hilariously ironic for some fans (and the beat writers who are buying future team access with their fluffy Maccpieces today) to then tout, "Ooooh lookety at all that glorious cap room Big Macc gets to use in FA!" as though it's a good thing that he carries no better success rate in FA than in his failures in the draft.

The Jets will never win a SB with Mike Maccagnan as its GM. That thing will never happen. Not ever.

He is not smart, not competent, has a poor eye for strategy and thinking enough moves ahead, his few successes are either the result of unexpected and not-repeatable luck or still being wrong decisions. He has been an all-around failure here for nearly half a decade. His big kudos from some is that he didn't pass up on drafting the 5th of his 5 FQB-drafting opportunities in 3 years after passing up on 4 of them in the prior 2.

Also he crosses his legs like he has no dickenballs. It's 

Ok, seriously, you need to learn to condense these responses. 

I could bring up more points about what i have written here but after this, i dont  see the point. I dont have the time or energy to retort something like this. 

Again, Mac is not being defended by me. Im just pointing out FA for the most part don't  work out and i don't  think its something tonuse to measure success. If you think it is, more power to you

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get your general point, but where are the hits?  You want to compare to QBs,?  You sound like someone defending Hackenberg's completion percentage by saying that even Aaron Rodgers misses almost 40% of his throws.  Which guys weren't busts?  Revis was okay for 1-year and paid for 3.  Carpenter good for 2, paid for 4.  Forte okay, paid for 2+. Trumaine Johnson? Steve McClendon?  His biggest hit might be Claiborne on a pair of 1 years.  That doesn't seems like a sustainable plan to me.

Also, these weren't bad one year contracts.  Revis was more than 1 year.   Wilkerson?  Skrine more than 1 year.  They are still paying Gilchrist and he has played full seasons with two other teams since he last wore green and white.   Fitzpatrick's deal for 2016 was one year, but why were we still paying him in 2017?   Forte's deal wasn't 1 year.  They are paying him a million this year to sit on his couch and they were forced to keep him in 2017 because his salary was fully guaranteed.  Pryor is getting over $4M from us to be a malcontent twitter warrior.

Your right, there are some bad signings that were for more than a year. I stand corrected  there.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

See this is my problem with you. You clearly know your facts and know how to state them. But you can’t just blow over the good things he did or just brush them away with “luck”. What you should have done is acknowledged the good things he did and said “Despite those, I think for the most part he is horrible” and then go on about it.

You have to acknowledge both sides of the issue. And I know you will probably blow me off or make a snide remark in my direction, because that’s what you always do to me. But nevertheless, I think it needs to be said. 

As for your last remark, it’s childish and irrelevant. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously, don’t say those things

It's funny, because a guy who no one respects or takes seriously, is telling a guy who's one of the most respected posters on the site, how to be taken seriously.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

While Jet fans lament that we have the worst Coach in the NFL, which is definitely true, and a GM that has certainly had his issues, still, almost half of the league are 3 games apart from 3 wins to 6! 

Cardinals (3-11), Raiders (3-11), 49ers (4-10), Jets (4-10), Jags (4-10),Packers 5-8-1) Lions (5-9), Bucs (5-9), Bills (5-9), Giants (5-9) Browns (6-7-1), Broncos (6-8), Bengals (6-8).

So this hyperbole that the sky has completely fallen & this idea that the Jets are so deeply buried below other teams in this league with NO WAY OUT if they retain Macc is beyond ridiculous!

I mean that's cool and all, but we've gone 5-11, 5-11, and 4-10 the last 3 seasons.  If its so easy to go from 5 wins to contender, why haven't we done it yet, for 3 consecutive seasons?

We are indeed buried beneath the contending teams.  Because at least you can say a few of those teams either performed well the season BEFORE or will likely perform much better NEXT season.  The Jaguars, Packers, Bills, Browns, Broncos and Bengals come to mind from that list.  The Bills made the playoffs last season and have a pretty good defense.  The Browns' arrow is pointed straight up.  The Broncos and Bengals just need coaching changes.  Etc. 

The Jets have sucked for the last 3 years, and there's no real reason to believe we'll be tangibly better other than saying we'll throw a bunch of money at mediocre free agents and manage to go 7-9 or something like that.  At least not unless we change what we're doing in a significant way. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, what i am saying if you read my original post in thos thread is everyone aquires FA busts. Singling out a GM because he picked up a bunch of bad one year contracts and saying it makes him demonstrably  worse than others is like saying a QB that doesn't  complete every pass he makes is demonstrably  worse than all the others. He is no different in FA than practically  every other GM in the league. Also, saying the money matters because it could have been spent on better players without naming the players is not much of an argument 

So he's one of the worst drafters in the league and he's as good as "everybody else" in free agency. 

That's a high bar you're setting.  Let's sign him to an extension!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

IF the Jets want to blow it up again I wouldn't argue against it, however, I would argue that they're already late on the process.  I haven't advocated firing Macc (yet) and I do think he deserves to execute his first HC hire to find the guy that he wants to develop the QB that he himself acquired, but again, I'm not an enthusiastic, flag-waving supporter of Macc.  My bigger concern is the ineptitude of the Jets ownership in making calculated, strategic decisions on the correct timeline.  IF their intention is to get rid of both Bowles and Macc then they should already have had Macc move on (especially if they intend to elevate Heimerdinger).  The idea that they can wait until after the season to conduct a GM search followed by a HC search (unless they intend to parallel path the process again) is ludicrous.  All of the good candidates will be gone IMO.  The only caveat is if the Jets are ready to pivot and go to a single person in power or a package deal, bringing someone with great gravitas onboard as HC who would essentially bring his own GM (or would BE his own GM).  This is like Parcells coming in and bringing his right-hand man Tannenbaum, or a Belichick situation (both HC/GM).  The only guys that fit that mold are retreads and that's why names like Mike Shanahan are floating around.

While Macc may not be great I can't ignore the possibility that the Jets could make the situation worse by goofing up a complete reboot rather than just replacing the HC right now.  I'd rather see someone like David Shaw be brought in under Macc with the Jets trying to keep Heimerdinger waiting in the wings another year to see how 2019 goes.  The Stanford coach would be particularly interesting because of having faced Darnold twice in college.

I concur with everything you wrote. People here need to understand that no matter how much evidence exists in canning Macc, the Johnsons simply won’t pull the trigger.

i’d sign Up for a David Shaw coaching staff but that’s wishful thinking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

While Jet fans lament that we have the worst Coach in the NFL, which is definitely true, and a GM that has certainly had his issues, still, almost half of the league are 3 games apart from 3 wins to 6! 

Cardinals (3-11), Raiders (3-11), 49ers (4-10), Jets (4-10), Jags (4-10),Packers 5-8-1) Lions (5-9), Bucs (5-9), Bills (5-9), Giants (5-9) Browns (6-7-1), Broncos (6-8), Bengals (6-8).

So this hyperbole that the sky has completely fallen & this idea that the Jets are so deeply buried below other teams in this league with NO WAY OUT if they retain Macc is beyond ridiculous! Personally, I could give a sh*t if they let him go, but I also don't think keeping him is going to shorten our list of coaching candidates.

A lot of things have to go right in this league to have a successful season, WTF happened to Marrone,/Coughlin? Sperm would have loved that hire. How about the geniuses in San Fran? Snacks really helped turn around the Giants fortunes, lol. Its not the END OF THE WORLD if Macc stays. We secured our QB, he'll be here for 20 years god willing. Offense is going to be the offseason goal in free agency & the draft going forward after Bowles hits the bricks.

I think dealing in absolutes regarding our future is preposterous, and I'm not willing to say that if Macc is retained & we bring in a new coach that the Jets are destined for failure. You can take a period of 3/4 years in every single teams drafts & run them over the coals for horrible mistakes. Who else was available when we took Lee in that sh*t draft? I agree we missed out drafting Mahomes or Watson, but, we do now have Sam Darnold. 

Who's to say with a different Head Coach, a QB in place, a completely new direction to fix our offense things won't pan out with everyone on the same page in free agency & a draft plan? 

Now if your trying to sign McCarthy or any other veteran Coach & he says, no to Macc being a part of it, by all means show him the door. I just don't think it will be part of the equation & we're making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

This is flawed logic that is completely dependent on you having drawn a conclusion first, and then coming back around later to figure out how to justify it.  Your entire argument is that Bowles must be responsible for all of the endless failures of Maccagnan, yet Maccagnan is somehow totally blameless of anything that contributed to the failures of Bowles.  The entire basis for this? Well, because you say so.

There are countless levels of evidence that show there is no basis for such an argument to be made.  However, it ultimately comes down to one point that I have said many times before, and will continue to say repeatedly until it sticks in people's heads:  the next former Bowles/Maccagnan Jet who goes on to have greater success with his next team will be the very first, because it has still quite literally never happened.

Ultimately, there is not one single shred of evidence to suggest that coaching is responsible for the failed careers of these players (unless you'd like to argue that the ongoing failures of Macc's signing/draft picks throughout the league is the sole fault of all those other coaches too).  Everything we've seen to date actually says otherwise.  That is the reason why Maccagnan deserves to be unemployed just as much as anyone, and it has nothing to do with some mystical conspiracy that him not doing his own job well isn't really his fault.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So he's one of the worst drafters in the league and he's as good as "everybody else" in free agency. 

That's a high bar you're setting.  Let's sign him to an extension!

I actually didnt say that

My point is you cannot  judge a GM on FA he signs. I do think you can judge them on drafts and bad contracts thet give out as in cap killer deals. 

That said Mac has pretty much not distinguished himself here but whether you like it or not, drafting Darnold buys him another year here. That is a fact. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I actually didnt say that

My point is you cannot  judge a GM on FA he signs. I do think you can judge them on drafts and bad contracts thet give out as in cap killer deals. 

That said Mac has pretty much not distinguished himself here but whether you like it or not, drafting Darnold buys him another year here. That is a fact. 

Of course we can.  Its part of his body of work.  Therefore we absolutely can use that as part of the judgment on how well he's done.  Now, we can debate how important those decisions are as part of his portfolio of decisions, but you can't just dismiss them out of hand.

Especially when we're walking into an offseason where he will have $116 million in cap space.  If in fact you're right and he's going nowhere, the players he decides to sign in Free Agency will have an enormous impact on what direction the franchise goes in.  And given his past decisions, the outlook is terrible. 

• Upvote 1

I was a little uneasy when the Jets hired him and he wasn't the second banana in Houston, he was a scout supervisor 

This meant to me that he had never dealt with the owner or agents or been responsible for roster management. I kinda rolled with it because he was a scout and we all were so anti accountant that it seemed OK 

I was really concerned when the reports came out that during Fitz magics holdout that the Jets left the offer on the table all summer. They brought in a few QBs to try to leverage Fitz but as they left without an offer it became really amateurish 

I was a headhunter and the first thing you learn is that if a candidate balks at an offer, needs more time, needs to think about it, is to take it away. If they let you take it away, you never had a deal but at least now you know, and it they don't let you then you have a chance to close it. 

Woody didn't help macc by telling Fitz to "come home" but macc got schooled and it showed 

Now what's concerning is in the breer article about macc's pursuit of Darnold is that in the Watson mahomes class he decided that he could pass on a QB because he liked the next class better 

You don't do that without ownership buy in 

That's the move of a GM that feels like he will be allowed to work to the last year of his deal 

It seems like he will be given the chance to spend the money he cleared up and be judged on that to be honest 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I would like to see @Sperm Edwards also write the case for him. Because it is clear he is attentive and the sign of a great man is knowing the other sides. The idea of believing something yet acknowledging the opposite

I'll cover that for him.  Here is the case for Mike Maccagnan:

1.  He makes a mean cup of coffee.

2.  Nope, that's it.

Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.  We'll come let you know when your time-out is over.

• Upvote 2

The single biggest indictment on Maccagnan is that many of his draft picks (8 by my count) weren't just non-contributors but off the team within 2 years. 

Four main comments on the drafts:

1. Devin Smith - I still think Macc gets a pass here as Smith played 53 games in college and really was a solid deep threat prospect. He was mocked as a late 1st. I remember being on the Jaelen Strong train so I was wayyy off. 
  2. 8 players and basically nothing from them - Mauldlin, Jarvis Harrison, Deon Simon, Hack, Burris, A. Stewart, C. Hansen, Donohue.
  3. Late round CBs - Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones, Parry Nickerson... honestly if he doesn't hit on one of them after missing on Burris... jush ugh.
  4. The Maye pick - he's shown flashes... but there was sooo much offensive talent on the board (Cook, Kamara, Kupp, Elflein, Feeney, Smith-Schuster).
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Mac will probably be kept around to manage the scouting dept and the new coach will end up calling the major shots. Hopefully he improves and it’s coupled with a HC who knows how to run an operation and sees the big picture. Bowles main focus seemingly was installing his defense.