Who should Jets hire to replace Todd Bowles?

LIJetsFan

The Jets are 4-10 with two games remaining in a miserable season that surely will end with coach Todd Bowles being fired. So who are the best options to replace Bowles? Let's go ahead and rank some potential candidates from worst (or least preferable) to best (or most preferable). 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Bowles is 24-38 with the Jets, including 14-33 since a promising 10-5 start in 2015. 

What should be the primary goal here?

To develop quarterback Sam Darnold. It's really that simple. The Jets need to get a forward-thinking, offensive-minded coach who can do for Darnold what Sean McVay has done for the Rams' Jared Goff. 

17. John DeFilippo, former Vikings offensive coordinator

Pretty much no chance he gets the job after the Vikings canned him. He didn't even finish his first season as their offensive coordinator. 

16. Dan Campbell, Saints tight ends coach

Long-shot candidate. Campbell went 5-7 as Miami's interim head coach in 2015. But he hasn't ever been a coordinator or mentored a quarterback. The Jets ideally need someone who has done either or both. 

15. Gregg Williams, Browns interim head coach

Looks like he has a good shot of getting the Browns job on a full-time basis. Even if he doesn't, he is a defensive-minded coach, and the Jets don't need that right now. 

14. Todd Haley, former Browns offensive coordinator

He is a fairly well-regarded offensive coach, but he was at the center of all that dysfunction in Cleveland. The Jets need less drama, not more. 

13. Matt Campbell, Iowa State head coach

An intriguing, up-and-coming coach. He has an offensive background and has led Iowa State to eight wins in back-to-back seasons. But there would be some risk in this sort of college-plucking hire. Especially with a coach who doesn't have a long track record of success. And Campbell indeed doesn't. 

12. Zac Taylor, Rams quarterbacks coach

This would be a fascinating hire, but he is awfully young. Then again, McVay is 32 and is in Year 2 as the Rams' head coach. Yet McVay did have three seasons as Washington's offensive coordinator before the Rams hired him. The issue with Taylor is that he doesn't have that type of experience. Taylor, a former quarterback at Nebraska, has coached quarterbacks dating back to 2012 with the Dolphins. He is currently McVay's quarterbacks coach with the Rams. Taylor was the University of Cincinnati's offensive coordinator in 2016 after serving as the Dolphins' interim coordinator in 2015. 

11. Dave Toub, Chiefs special teams coordinator

A lower-profile candidate, but he is a big part of the success in Kansas City. He has a special teams background, so he'd need to hire a strong offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach tandem. 

10. Mike McCarthy, former Packers head coach

If he couldn't thrive this season with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay, why should the Jets believe he can develop Darnold? Yes, McCarthy won a Super Bowl, but he probably underachieved overall, considering he had one of the best quarterbacks of this generation. 

9. Matt LaFleur, Titans offensive coordinator

Has experience as a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator in the NFL. He was McVay's offensive coordinator last season but didn't call the plays. This season in Tennessee, LaFleur is calling the plays. He was previously Matt Ryan's position coach with the Falcons from 2015-16. He doesn't have a ton of coordinator experience, obviously. But he has a reputation for working with quarterbacks. 

8. Lincoln Riley, University of Oklahoma head coach

A brilliant offensive mind in the college ranks. He helped prep Baker Mayfield for the NFL. Quite young, but he has play calling experience dating back to 2010 at East Carolina. And he's been great at Oklahoma so far -- 24-3 in a season-plus. A lot to like here, but would Riley want to make the move to the NFL, considering he's in a great spot at Oklahoma? His coaching experience is strictly in the college ranks, so there would be some risk. 

7. David Shaw, Stanford University head coach

Shaw at least has NFL experience, so that's a plus. He was a position coach in the early 2000s with the Ravens and Raiders, including quarterbacks coach. All told, he was an NFL assistant from 1997-2005. But would he want to leave Stanford? Shaw has a great thing going there. He has been at Stanford since 2007, when Jim Harbaugh brought him onboard as his offensive coordinator. Shaw is 81-26 at Stanford. Could he win in the NFL? 

6. Chris Petersen, University of Washington head coach

Great credentials, in a vacuum, but there are some mitigating factors, including zero NFL experience and his age. A successful offensive-minded college coach for years, first at Boise State (2006-13) and then while rebuilding at Washington since 2014. But he is a West Coast guy. Would he want to come to New Jersey and rebuild with the Jets and deal with all the scrutiny that comes with that? Would be a risky hire, despite his credentials. 

5. Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator

It would be an absolute stunner if he came to the Jets after spurning the Colts last offseason. So he almost comes with an asterisk on this list. You know what he's done by now, in two stints as the Patriots' offensive coordinator (2006-08 and 2012-present). Don't expect him to land with the Jets, even though he'd be an intriguing hire for any team. Maybe he has learned a thing or two from going 11-17 as the Broncos' coach fro 2009-10.

4. Jay Gruden, Redskins head coach

Let's see if Washington fires him first. But his offensive background -- especially as the Bengals' coordinator from 2011-13 -- is intriguing. His record in Washington is just so-so -- 35-42-1 in four-plus seasons, including 7-7 this season. 

3. Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator

The problem here would be lack of NFL play calling experience -- just one season. Is he ready to be a head coach? You'll remember him mostly as a former NFL running back. He worked his way up the college and NFL coaching ranks as a running backs coach. He was Colorado's offensive coordinator from 2011-12. After serving as the Chiefs' running backs coach from 2013-17, he took over for Matt Nagy as offensive coordinator this season when the Bears hired Nagy to be their head coach. Having come from the Andy Reid coaching tree, Bieniemy knows what a sound offensive approach looks like. Can he develop a quarterback, though? 

2. Pete Carmichael, Saints offensive coordinator

Just look at what he and Sean Payton have accomplished in New Orleans with Drew Brees. Could Carmichael carry that success over to Darnold? Carmichael has been Payton's offensive coordinator since 2009. He was the Saints' quarterbacks coach for three seasons before taking over as coordinator. 

1. John Harbaugh, Ravens head coach

A proven coach, though he primarily has a special teams/defensive background. So he'd need to bring in some legit offensive minds to work with Darnold. But from a leadership and credibility standpoint, Harbaugh would bring a lot of both, as a proven winner with a Super Bowl ring. Now, the big question is this: Will the Ravens -- now 8-6 -- fire him? Harbaugh wouldn't be a perfect hire. Nobody on this list would be. But Harbaugh has a track record, at least, even if he does get fired after 2018. 

I'm leaning Carmichael & praying the Browns fire Greg Williams & he comes here to coach the Jets defense. Keep Brant Boyer & boom, upgrades & you've kept your best coach which allows Carmichael to concentrate on getting weapons for Sam, integrating a new offense and hit the ground running.

2nd choice, McCarthy. On experience alone. 

I don't think Harbaugh leaves, he's done a masterful job this year. Bowles would have that Ravens team picking first overall trotting Flacco out there every week.

McCarthy. It's a no brainer. Pay however much of Woody's money it takes. He has a ring, 5+ division titles and he will know how to develop Sam. Then get Lev Bell (spend what we have to)and either AJ Green or Randall Cobb. Playoffs in 2019 baby!

4 minutes ago, Jethead said:

McCarthy. It's a no brainer. Pay however much of Woody's money it takes. He has a ring, 5+ division titles and he will know how to develop Sam. Then get Lev Bell (spend what we have to)and either AJ Green or Randall Cobb. Playoffs in 2019 baby!

Lev Bell and AJ Green.  I’m in. Don’t know what it would take to get Green, but I’d do it. These next 2 years are going to be huge for Darnold. I don’t remember where, but someone here had a post about McCarthy and Rogers when McCarthy made him the starter and it explained the “McCarthy QB training he put Rogers through. That is what Darnold needs and he needs some players on offense that are legit, even if only 3 or 4 seasons out of them - it would be best for Sam. That is all we need to worry about. Go all OLine- sign Bell-Trade for Green plus extend him. 

I'm fine with McCarthy. He is an experienced, successful coach and knows offense. He has a SB ring and will carry a lot of influence here. He was a major influence in developing Rodgers. People say he he should have won more but he is still pretty damn good. Top 10 offense continually, 4 conf championship games, SB ring, etc. GET HIM!

10 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If the Jets somehow get Bell AND Green, I might just have a heart attack.  This would be a dream scenario.  Will the football Gods allow such good fortune to shine down on the Jets?  The beaten down and delicate psyche of this Jets fan will not allow himself to get sucked into this thing called "hope."  I will continue to sing the Jets fan mantra of expecting the worst but hoping for the best.  However, somewhere in the recesses of my blackened Jets heart, I feel a slim ray of light trying to bust through the darkness.  Is this a trap???  Are we all due????  I'm confused!!!

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is McCarthy bringing peak Rodgers with him to NJ? Otherwise, hard pass. Have you guys watched Packers games the last 2 years? That is a poorly coached team. 

It’s more of what he did to Rogers when Rogers came into the league. McCarthy improved a lot of his game at the position. Rogers has even credited him on that. It’s going to be about developing Sam this next 2-3 years. You want the guy that change Rogers drops, ball position, throwing motion and really improved deep ball accuracy to one of the best in the league? I do. 

In order:

Carmichael - The Saints O has never been an issue.   Has tons of experience running an offense.  Has been able to adapt and make use of the best weapons on the team, whether that means airing it out or running it. 

McCarthy - Probably underachieved in GB, but still an offensive coach with a proven track record and better than anything we've had for the last decade or so.

Shanahan - I know he's not on the list above, but how do you pass on Shanahan if he wants the job?  Successful pretty much wherever he's been.

Toub - Intrigued by him.  In general, I think special teams guys make better head coaches.  Just like catchers make better managers in baseball because they tend to see the whole game and are not tied to the offensive or defensive side of the ball.  

Lincoln Riley - Great offensive minded coach, but only has college experience. A lot of risk involved with this pick IMO.

16 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If the Jets somehow get Bell AND Green, I might just have a heart attack.  This would be a dream scenario.  Will the football Gods allow such good fortune to shine down on the Jets?  The beaten down and delicate psyche of this Jets fan will not allow himself to get sucked into this thing called "hope."  I will continue to sing the Jets fan mantra of expecting the worst but hoping for the best.  However, somewhere in the recesses of my blackened Jets heart, I feel a slim ray of light trying to bust through the darkness.  Is this a trap???  Are we all due????  I'm confused!!!

If it happened, they'd both be on IR halfway into the season.  :badmood:

37 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

anyone with decent to good head coaching experience...no more "hot name" coordinators.  Never works out.

I am fine with the right coordinator we just haven't hired the right one. I am more than ok swinging for the fences to find the next McVay which is why I would be happy with Zac Taylor.

Really bad list, especially the order. Also does not have Shane Waldron and he has already been associated with the job. Lincoln Riley should be near the top

Waldron

Toub

Riley

Bienimy

LaFleur

Start there. I would worry about the Saints guys, I think its mostly Brees and synergy with HC, not sure any of them would develop Sam right on their own.

Neither Harbaugh should even be considered. None of the retreads.

If I cant get Riley, I probably choose either Waldron or Toub

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

anyone with decent to good head coaching experience...no more "hot name" coordinators.  Never works out.

Not true. Hiring ultra conservative defensive head coaching dooffuses that are allergic to offense do not work out. he recent OC first times are almost uniformly a hit. We need to go that direction. 100%. Riley would be first choice, Waldron second, Toub because great special teams guys make great head coaches.

none of these guys can do it by themselves.  that goes without saying.  imo they should be very careful about getting a first time head coach.  they need to make sure the guy has more than a season at any particular coordinator's job and has actually a good knowledge of the team requirements.  he also needs to know the game inside and out.  and then the guy needs to be able to make his schemes work with the players currently on the roster.  the roster is changeable but the coach still needs to work with what he has got.  the right players will come in due time.

2 hours ago, Pennington said:

I am fine with the right coordinator we just haven't hired the right one. I am more than ok swinging for the fences to find the next McVay which is why I would be happy with Zac Taylor.

I sure as hell wouldn’t

Taylor has one year of experience as an OC in the NFL and that was with the Dolphins 4 years ago. Where he orchestrated the 26th ranked offense in the league.

No way the Jets should bring in someone like that just because he’s young and has an offensive background.

This is the most important HC hire that I can recall for this team.

People are way too obsessed with finding the next Sean McVay. And even McVay hasn’t won dick of any significance to this point. 

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I sure as hell wouldn’t

Taylor has one year of experience as an OC in the NFL and that was with the Dolphins 4 years ago. Where he orchestrated the 26th ranked offense in the league.

No way the Jets should bring in someone like that just because he’s young and has an offensive background.

This is the most important HC hire that I can recall for this team.

People are way too obsessed with finding the next Sean McVay. And even McVay hasn’t won dick of any significance to this point. 

The Eagles beat them on their own turf. Things change so quickly in the NFL. That's why its imperative that the next coach gets us into the tournament...anything can happen, especially when you have a QB that can make a crazy play at any moment.

I think the original list is the list, but I don't think the order is close to right.

Think about the others that the Jets have hired as HC.   We are talking about only a limited amount of coordinator experience.  

Bowles-DC for one year.

Ryan-DC for four years

Mangini-DC for one year

Herman Edwards-never even a DC.

Al Groh-never even a HC

Bellichick....

Parcells....

I think that is enough.  It is shocking who gets hired to these HC jobs.  An experienced guy is not assured.  

Archived