Wild and Crazy Idea...

NYallDay

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NYallDay said:

It seems that Odell is butting heads over this injury with the coach and team officials and ever since signing that extension, it has not gone smoothly. This question is 2 part;

Would you consider trading for him (under the belief the Vagiants would)?

If so, What would you give up?

I just saw that he is out this week and listening to NY sports talk radio, there seems to be some animosity growing between the head coach and him. Just an idea and kick the tires on this rainy Friday.

**** Odell and that chia pet growing on his head.  That's all I'll say

I Realize this is just a hypothetical with Beckham, put people on this board continue to amaze me. Constantly complain about lack of talent on this roster, but they never want a playmaker when one becomes available. Mack was too old at 27, and not worth the price to get him. Chicago couldn’t be happier with him and are now a trendy SB pick. Amari Cooper wasn’t worth a first round pick. He’s transformed the Dallas offense and the Cowboys are about to win their division. Bell, Hunt, and Beckham are either prima donnas or have character issues and “aren’t the type of people we want to root for on this team.” Jeez, I hope our GM doesn’t feel this way. I’d hate to watch the Mormon Tabernacle Choir suit up for the Jets and get their ass kicked every Week.

• The Jets may not have talent on their roster, but they have cap space. 
  • The Giants may not have a playoff QB in 2019, and their OL stinks.  There are other things they should be spending on.
  • So the Giants should be thankful if the Jets gave them a 3rd round pick, with maybe a player, to take Odell's contract off their hands.  
  • The Giants could take the view that they have Barkley and will find a QB and OL, so they will warehouse Beckham.  That is their preogative.  But it is definitely worth it for the Jets to get him.  

Before this season I would have absolutely done this. Now?  Not so much.

His attitude this season, in particular, has been incredibly disappointing to see.  Especially as someone who paid a ton of attention to him at LSU and wanted to draft him more than anyone in 2013.

Odell was always "eccentric", but this year he's given up on plays, called out his current QB (with Lil Wayne) in an interview with ESPN, used the press as a way to slam everyone except himself, and publicly said that he doesn't even like the city he plays for and it's "tough to say if he's unhappy in New York" and would have preferred to be in LA because he loves it there. 

Great talent, massive headache.  I'd pass.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I couldn't care less what the personalities of the players is if they're winning football games. That's all that matters. Winning and losing. We do a lot of losing. We should focus on winning, not freaking good personalities.

Imagine a dude who rarely gets laid out at the bar talking about how he doesn't want to hookup with the hot slut who's ripe for the taking because she doesn't have a good personality. That's how you sound.

The big problem is, personalities like Odell don't win very often, and even less of of them seem to get "the ring" that makes the migraines worth it.

What's the Giants record since drafting Odell?

How many rings did TO get?  Randy Moss?

What is Dez Bryant's legacy in Dallas?

In hindsight, adding headaches like Santonio Holmes and, to a slightly lesser extent, Plaxico, ended up being 2 of the worst things this organization ever did.

Very few teams win with guys like these because, more often than not, they can derail an entire team, including both coaching staffs and players, by themselves.  Talent is important to winning, but culture is just as important.  Look at the Jaguars for the most recent example of this.  It's just not worth it.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I Realize this is just a hypothetical with Beckham, put people on this board continue to amaze me. Constantly complain about lack of talent on this roster, but they never want a playmaker when one becomes available. Mack was too old at 27, and not worth the price to get him. Chicago couldn’t be happier with him and are now a trendy SB pick. Amari Cooper wasn’t worth a first round pick. He’s transformed the Dallas offense and the Cowboys are about to win their division. Bell, Hunt, and Beckham are either prima donnas or have character issues and “aren’t the type of people we want to root for on this team.” Jeez, I hope our GM doesn’t feel this way. I’d hate to watch the Mormon Tabernacle Choir suit up for the Jets and get their ass kicked every Week.

Would love Hunt

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Would love Hunt

Personal opinions on the guy aside (f*ck him and anyone like him), we could sign Hunt tomorrow and he may never see the field with the amount of legal issues he has going on right now.

Bell?  Fine. 

Hunt?  No x1000.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Personal opinions on the guy aside (f*ck him and anyone like him), we could sign Hunt tomorrow and he may never see the field with the amount of legal issues he has going on right now.

Bell?  Fine. 

Hunt?  No x1000.

Can't sign him anyway,  has to be cleared by the league first.  That being said, I feel you but this was not a Ray Rice situation

13 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Can't sign him anyway,  has to be cleared by the league first.  That being said, I feel you but this was not a Ray Rice situation

If I'm not mistaken, we can still acquire his rights by agreeing to terms, but I could definitely be wrong.  I'm not too familiar with the commissioner's exempt list and what that entails.

Regarding the Ray Rice comparison, I actually think it's way worse and, at the very least, on the same level.  Especially now that we know there are a ton of other incidents being looked into.

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If I'm not mistaken, we can still acquire his rights by agreeing to terms, but I could definitely be wrong.  I'm not too familiar with the commissioner's exempt list and what that entails.

Regarding the Ray Rice comparison, I actually think it's way worse and, at the very least, on the same level.  Especially now that we know there are a ton of other incidents being looked into.

Didn't know about the other incidents just the one with the drunken party crasher and her friend.  If that's the case, to hell with him

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The big problem is, personalities like Odell don't win very often, and even less of of them seem to get "the ring" that makes the migraines worth it.

What's the Giants record since drafting Odell?

How many rings did TO get?  Randy Moss?

What is Dez Bryant's legacy in Dallas?

In hindsight, adding headaches like Santonio Holmes and, to a slightly lesser extent, Plaxico, ended up being 2 of the worst things this organization ever did.

Very few teams win with guys like these because, more often than not, they can derail an entire team, including both coaching staffs and players, by themselves.  Talent is important to winning, but culture is just as important.  Look at the Jaguars for the most recent example of this.  It's just not worth it.

Santonio Holmes was a superbowl MVP. Plaxico won a ring. Randy Moss was a huge part of 2 of the most prolific offenses in the history of the league on two different teams. TO was the reason the Eagles had a chance in the superbowl they lost with him. These are terrible examples of players that aren't helping your team win. lmao ??.

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Santonio Holmes was a superbowl MVP. Plaxico won a ring. Randy Moss was a huge part of 2 of the most prolific offenses in the history of the league on two different teams. TO was the reason the Eagles had a chance in the superbowl they lost with him. These are terrible examples of players that aren't helping your team win. lmao ??.

Signing that Super Bowl MVP to a big contract that caused him not give a sh*t and let his real personality shine was really awesome! 

Randy Moss has so much hardware to show for all those prolific numbers!

TO did so much after that one season.  Especially for the 9 billion other teams he played on because the Eagles couldn't stand him anymore!  I mean, TO's legacy is that of a big winner, right?

Plaxico was awesome too!  Fun fact: he shot himself in the leg after the Super Bowl and getting his big contract.  That's the point.  Big deals for big problems creates big trouble.  You're seeing it with Odell right now.

2 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Everyone in this thread who is trashing the idea would be splooging all over themselves if the Jets actually acquired him.

I'll put it on record, right now, that I would actively trash this deal if it ever happened, until the day Odell was, ultimately, cut or traded.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Signing that Super Bowl MVP to a big contract that caused him not give a sh*t and let his real personality shine was really awesome! 

Randy Moss has so much hardware to show for all those prolific numbers!

TO did so much after that one season.  Especially for the 9 billion other teams he played on because the Eagles couldn't stand him anymore!  I mean, TO's legacy is that of a big winner, right?

Plaxico was awesome too!  Fun fact: he shot himself in the leg after the Super Bowl and getting his big contract.  That's the point.  Big deals for big problems creates big trouble.  You're seeing it with Odell right now.

If you're trying to convince me these players didn't make huge positive impacts in their careers you're doing a very bad job. In fact, the whole reason teams put up with divas is they are good for the team. Once that goes away, they get cut, as they should.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

People saying they would give “nothing” for OBJ are, IMHO, off their rockers. Irrational hatred of Giants. Fortunately most GMs don’t put too much weight on spite when making decisions.

No, OBJ is the one off his rocker, and that's the entire point.  It has literally nothing to do with the Giants.  Sorry you don't get to give yourself a round of applause this time for some nonsense that only actually exists in your own mind.

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you're trying to convince me these players didn't make huge positive impacts in their careers you're doing a very bad job. In fact, the whole reason teams put up with divas is they are good for the team. Once that goes away, they get cut, as they should.

The results of their careers in terms of what they won, and the legacy left behind by each one of those players should do that for you, but if you can't see beyond the gaudy numbers and understand that there is a legitimate reason most of those guys never won anything, especially AFTER they got big money contracts, than I don't know what to tell you.  The two "winners" on that list above, had issues, but kept themselves in line long enough for a pay day.  Then they showed their true colors.   All of the problems with Beckham got worse after he got paid, and he was pretty bad before that.  Not exactly a great look.  

Cutting him when it, eventually, goes south is nice, until you realize that a trade for him would make him, virtually, uncuttable because of his contract and what you have to give up to even get him.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The results of their careers in terms of what they won, and the legacy left behind by each one of those players should do that for you, but if you can't see beyond the gaudy numbers and understand that there is a legitimate reason most of those guys never won anything, especially AFTER they got big money contracts, than I don't know what to tell you.  The two "winners" on that list above, had issues, but kept themselves in line long enough for a pay day.  Then they showed their true colors.   All of the problems with Beckham got worse after he got paid, and he was pretty bad before that.  Not exactly a great look.  

Cutting him when it, eventually, goes south is nice, until you realize that a trade for him would make him, virtually, uncuttable because of his contract and what you have to give up to even get him.

Your hyperbole doesn't make for a great argument. These guys all very clearly improved their teams tremendously and most either helped them win championships or play in them which is more than any Jets team I've ever been able to watch.

you "don't know what to tell me" because your argument sucks.

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

No, OBJ is the one off his rocker, and that's the entire point.  It has literally nothing to do with the Giants.  Sorry you don't get to give yourself a round of applause this time for some nonsense that only actually exists in your own mind.

Exactly.  I was screaming for Odell leading up to the draft.  I don't give a sh*t if he's a Giant.  If he wasn't a total lunatic, I'd be screaming to get a deal done.  Problem is, he is a total lunatic.

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Your hyperbole doesn't make for a great argument. These guys all very clearly improved their teams tremendously and most either helped them win championships or play in them which is more than any Jets team I've ever been able to watch.

you "don't know what to tell me" because your argument sucks.

More fun facts:

The Patriots didn't skip a beat when they cut Moss.  In terms of offensive efficiency, they stayed the same, and even improved in some areas.  Oh, and the small fact that they won 2 Super Bowls without him and 0 with him.

The Giants lost Plaxico, they replaced him without an issue, Eli went on to play better football, and they won another Super Bowl in more convincing fashion.

The Cowboys replaced Owens, improved, and finally won a playoff game.

We signed Holmes to big money, he got worse, and so did we.

Adding on to that, we replaced Braylon Edwards with Plaxico Burress, Cotchery with Derrick Mason, and they, along with Holmes, 3 "bigger names", destroyed everything that we were building off of with the 2 AFC Championship Games, all by themselves. At least Sanchez posted career numbers and Holmes put up more TDs than he ever did before though!

If you want to watch 5-11 to 7-9 teams, with selfish people in the locker room, as long as we're putting up gaudy numbers, be my guest.  I'd rather build a good nucleus of talented players, still on rookie contracts, and win a championship.  That's the recipe and nothing has happened in the last 2 decades to say that this has changed a bit.  Signing or trading for a guy that's going to dismantle a locker room because he's worried about his catch totals every single game is a horrible idea, and history backs that up.  IF we were to attempt to make a far fetched deal a reality, I'd rather go after Mike Evans, who is isn't a locker room issue, and still produces like before he got paid, with a far worse situation at QB than Beckham.

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

@Mogglez - are you seriously going to tell me you wouldn't have wanted Randy Moss in his prime on the Jets?

Randy Moss, in his prime, wasn't able to win a championship with the greatest QB of all time throwing to him.  What makes you think that Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, one year of Favre, where he blew out his arm, or Mark Sanchez would have yielded a different result?

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

More fun facts:

The Patriots didn't skip a beat when they cut Moss.  In terms of offensive efficiency, they stayed the same, and even improved in some areas.  Oh, and the small fact that they won 2 Super Bowls without him and 0 with him.

The Giants lost Plaxico, they replaced him without an issue, Eli went on to play better football, and they won another Super Bowl in more convincing fashion.

The Cowboys replaced Owens, improved, and finally won a playoff game.

We signed Holmes to big money, he got worse, and so did we.

Adding on to that, we replaced Braylon Edwards with Plaxico Burress, Cotchery with Derrick Mason, and they, along with Holmes, 3 "bigger names", destroyed everything that we were building off of with the 2 AFC Championship Games, all by themselves. At least Sanchez posted career numbers and Holmes put up more TDs than he ever did before though!

If you want to watch 5-11 to 7-9 teams, with selfish people in the locker room, as long as we're putting gaudy numbers, be my guest.  I'd rather build a good nucleus of talented players, still on rookie contracts, and win a championship.  That's the recipe and nothing has happened in the last 2 decades to say that this has changed a bit.  Signing or trading for a guy that's going to dismantle a locker room because he's worried about his catch totals every single game is a horrible idea, and history backs that up.

The Patriots cut Moss when he was washed up. That has nothing to do with his personality.

Who cares if the Giants won another superbowl without Plax? That's completely irrelevant to the argument you're trying to make. Why bring it up? Your argument is that diva players don't help teams win which quite clearly to anyone watch Plax did.

The Cowboys replaced Owens when he was washed up. When he was in his prime he was one of the premier WR's in the league and made every offense he played in better.

Holmes was a diva in Pittsburgh when he won Superbowl MVP. He was a diva when he arrived here and helped us get to an AFCCG his first season. 

Braylon Edwards was a diva too. But you cool w/him?

Beckham Jr is in his prime bro.

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Randy Moss, in his prime, wasn't able to win a championship with the greatest QB of all time throwing to him.  What makes you think that Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, one year of Favre, where he blew out his arm, or Mark Sanchez would have yielded a different result?

Answer the question. Would you have wanted Randy Moss in his prime on the Jets? 

Archived