Who is the model franchise ?

nico002

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Curious to see how wonderful the drafts of the Steelers will be when Rothlisberger isn’t there anymore.

Why would anything change. They've been the best drafting team consistently over the last forty years with some monumental ones sprinkled in.

Steelers. They consistently draft great WR's and RB's. It's pretty unbelievable when you look closely at it. They rarely have a losing season. 6-2 in SB's. Been to a bunch of AFCCG's too.

Pats shouldn't be at the top of anyone's list. They've been known cheaters. They've been in an awful division (Unlike Pittsburgh who has had to deal with Baltimore & Cincinnati in the past 20 years). Their drafting has been pretty bad in the past five years too. But that gets swept under the rug because they lucked out drafting a HOF QB in the 6th round. (I wouldn't induct Brady into yhe HOF on the firdt ballot btw. Make him wait an extra year or two due to deflategate.)

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The cheaters cheat. 

Can't give then credit for a single win 

For me it's always been the steelers 

Pats* cheat, period.   They stole a SB from the Rams by videotaping a walkthrough, deflated footballs, and Kraft's side deal with Brady to circumvent the salary cap.    

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Broncos.   I read somewhere that this is the first year with back to back losing seasons since 1975.   3 super bowl wins and another 5 appearances.   

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Giants?

Seriously? FYI, they have made the playoffs once since 2011. They have two magical Superbowl runs, but are anything but a consistent winner. 

You heard me Akbar...4 Super Bowl Wins since 1986 and 5 Super Bowl trips.  Solid ownership group.  I will take that ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  Google it Akbar.

10 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

You heard me Akbar...4 Super Bowl Wins since 1986 and 5 Super Bowl trips.  Solid ownership group.  I will take that ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  Google it Akbar.

Maybe when Wellington Mara was alive, but think about this.  How long was Jerry Reese G.M.?  Then they hired a coach who envisioned  Eli being the leader of a West Coast Offense. A case could be made that the Giants have been a  bigger sh*t show than the Jets the last couple of  years.  Elite organizations don't go through that.

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Maybe when Wellington Mara was alive, but think about this.  How long was Jerry Reese G.M.?  Then they hired a coach who envisioned  Eli being the leader of a West Coast Offense. A case could be made that the Giants have been a  bigger sh*t show than the Jets the last couple of  years.  Elite organizations don't go through that.

No matter what...we will ALWAYS look up to and look to the Giants as a "model franchise" compared to our complete disaster of a train wreck.  We suck. The Giants don't.  Period.

Signed, 

Season Ticket Holder since 1988

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

No matter what...we will ALWAYS look up to and look to the Giants as a "model franchise" compared to our complete disaster of a train wreck.  We suck. The Giants don't.  Period.

Signed, 

Season Ticket Holder since 1988

They certainly sucked last year, this year and …...going forward who knows.  All I know is going forward with Darnold I feel a lot better about the future .  Who knows,  maybe Woody gets it right this time. Being a Penn State fan I loved Saquon Barkley coming out,  but all things being equal, and they're not I'd rather have Sam Darnold.  They messed up.  Their loss became our gain.  We'll see

43 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

A lot of that is ancient history. 

Since Eli Manning was drafted, the Giants have only made the playoffs 6 times (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, and 2016). 

In other words, since 2007, the Giants have only made the playoffs three times. Over that same time period, the Jets have made the playoffs twice and both franchises have the same playoff record (4-2).  Also, both franchises have a very similar overall W/L record over the last decade. 

The Giants are anything but a consistent winner. A "model" franchise is a consistent winner, not a team that goes on a flukey Superbowl run every once in a while. 

You want to know the two biggest differences between the Jets and the Giants?

1) Since the merger, the Jets are 0-4 in AFC Championship games, while the Giants are 5-0 in NFC Championship games. (Notice that the Giants have only played in one more conference championship game than the Jets have. The difference is, they have won the big games when they have gotten the opportunity to do so, and they get credit for that, but it's not like they have been much better, week in and week out)

2) The Giants have played in a relatively wide open division since the great Dallas teams of the early to mid 90s. Meanwhile, the Jets have played in a division dominated by the best QB/coach combo in the history of the sport since 2001. This means that the Giants actually get to win their division sometimes. 

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

The Steelers haven’t fired a coach in 50 years. You sure we want to be like them? 

If that means winning 3 Super Bowles under 2 Coaches?  Yeah.

Pittsburgh is in a class all on their own.  They play in the toughes division in football, yet they are consistent when it comes to winning and consistent when it comes to the acquisition, drafting, and replacement of top tier talent.

Take Le'Veon Bell for example: 

He is incredibly special.  I'd pay him to come here.  Pittsburgh replaced him like he never even mattered.  They did the same with Santonio Holmes when they drafted Mike Wallace, and then did the same thing to Wallace when they drafted  Antonio Brown. How well they run everything is absolutely insane.  We could only pray to be like them one day.

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Pats have had the best QB/Head Coach combo in recent history. When they move on, the franchise will return to what is was before them.

The Steelers are the most consistent/best NFL franchise over history.

This!  Steelers all day every day. 3 Head Coaches since 1969.  6 Super Bowl wins. 

The steelers get the most out of their players on their first contract and let them go when they want big money. Then the guy who comes in to replace the big name goes on to have the same success. This has been happening consistently since the days of Greg Lloyd. 

The org is undeniably the most consistent in the NFL. No question IMO. 

Oh... and I hate them! 

30 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Pittsburgh is in a class all on their own.  They play in the toughes division in football, yet they are consistent when it comes to winning and consistent when it comes to the acquisition, drafting, and replacement of top tier talent.

He is incredibly special.  I'd pay him to come here.  Pittsburgh replaced him like he never even mattered.  They did the same with Santonio Holmes when they drafted Mike Wallace, and then did the same thing to Wallace when they drafted  Antonio Brown. How well they run everything is absolutely insane.  We could only pray to be like them one day.

Well said. And so true.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The Patriots have been the standard the last 15 years obviously. NFL history didn’t begin in the 1970s or 2000s though. Lol. The Steelers have been terrific, but were long time doormats before Bradshaw, Swann, Harris and the Steel Curtain. The Bears, Packers, and Giants have have been very successful through the history of the league also. The original Cleveland Browns franchise which became the Ravens, is another.

Yeah but once they got their act together in the 70's they've been good every decade since.  They have been the most consistent franchise long-term in the history of the league.  And the Superbowl era started in the 60's so it pretty much is going back to the beginning of relevant football history. 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Chicken on the egg man. Cowher wasn’t considered a success until he won the SB- he would have most definitely been fired as a Jet. Tomlin- most people think he’s a figurehead more than a coach-still riding the wave of the super bow he won with cowhers team- he would also have been fired if he was a coach of the jets. 

What happened in Pittsburg pretty simple. They drafted Ben.

16 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Pats have had the best QB/Head Coach combo in recent history. When they move on, the franchise will return to what is was before them.

The Steelers are the most consistent/best NFL franchise over history.

over history since the merger.  before the 70's they were doormats like you wouldn't believe.

14 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

The New York Giants. That is always who the Jets will be measures against.

I don't agree at all.  I don't really even look at the Giants as a rival.  Yes we share a stadium but they're in another conference and we rarely play them.  And I'll admit there is a little more to the game when we play them but it's so infrequent that it's not really very important.

Mostly the Saints. Over the last decade plus, they've been a fast innovative team mostly on offense though. I want the Jets to build a similar team but also be fast and creative on defense. Something about the team name Jets leads me to want to have  team that plays fast. 

Pats, as dominant as they have been are built on two people, Belicheck and Brady and that era is going to come to an end. Steelers have been consistent winners for decades. 4 years with losing record since 1990. They have consistently won with different coaches (though very few) and different QBs.

4 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Pats, as dominant as they have been are built on two people, Belicheck and Brady and that era is going to come to an end. Steelers have been consistent winners for decades. 4 years with losing record since 1990. They have consistently won with different coaches (though very few) and different QBs.

Are you serious?!  Wow is that an amazing stat!

EDIT: The Pats have only had 6 losing seasons during that time and 4 of them were from 1990-93.

If I owned an NFL team I would spend a lot of time studying the Pats.  I remember watching a 60 Minutes piece on Bill B and was very impressed with his approach.  He  understood that to be successful you needed to let over valued players go--even if they were still good, and you needed to develop younger and cheaper players to replace them.  

Archived