Bowles to get another head coaching gig next year?

Rhg1084

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not what he said.  He said it's possible he may get interviews elsewhere.  That is a long way from saying he's likely to get another HC job

In all reality, he probably does get an interview.  Whether that's to fulfill the Rooney Rule is up for debate.

Arizona would be most likely, if they have an opening. 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's not what he said.  He said it's possible he may get interviews elsewhere.  That is a long way from saying he's likely to get one.

In all reality, he probably does get an interview.  Whether that's to fulfill the Rooney Rule is up for debate.

Heard it too.  People have a hard time understanding what this guy says.  Last week it was a thread saying Garafolo said the Jets would hire McCarthy, when what he said is he heard they were in the market for a big name and then said McCarthy is a big name.  

I'd say he gets another DC position but he's not a good defensive coach. How could another NFL team hire him with his won and loss record. You hire a guy as HC after a good season usually as a coordinator. He might get a college job as a HC.  He does have leadership skills and players respect him. 

14 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Mike Garafolo reporting there’s a good chance he will land on his feet with another head coaching job. What if he goes on to be successful somewhere else? 

He will go to another team and be a successful defensive coordinator. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s what he is, his head coaching responsibilities just get in the way. 

Honestly what if he’s the best guy available on the market now that I’m thinking about it? If we don’t grab McCarthy then who the heck are we gonna get? One guy mentioned Dan Campbell before LOL. Maybe it’s not as crazy at is seems to just keep Bowles?

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He won't, i am even more sure he will fail with another than than i was with rex going to buffalo.  I will go over to that teams forums and give them my condolences if he gets hired.  Only a team full of morons would hire this guy.

He will get an interview because of the NFL policy to interview minority candidates. No one will hire this guy except as a DC.  I doubt he ever gets another HC offer. He has screwed up so badly and so publicly with the Jets that he has sealed his own fate.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd say he gets another DC position but he's not a good defensive coach. How could another NFL team hire him with his won and loss record. You hire a guy as HC after a good season usually as a coordinator. He might get a college as a HC.  He does have leadership skills and players respect him. 

He will get a HC job and hire Bruce Coslet or Rich Kotite as his OC and Lou Holtz as his DC and what a success he will be then.

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's not what he said.  He said it's possible he may get interviews elsewhere.  That is a long way from saying he's likely to get another HC job

So the spirit of the Rooney rule is to give opportunity to minority candidates and ensure they get at least the experience of interviewing the first time.  Bringing in a failed HC is definitely not the point of the Rooney rule.  If teams start trotting Todd in just to check that box, the NFL needs to rethink the policy.  

Just now, nycdan said:

So the spirit of the Rooney rule is to give opportunity to minority candidates and ensure they get at least the experience of interviewing the first time.  Bringing in a failed HC is definitely not the point of the Rooney rule.  If teams start trotting Todd in just to check that box, the NFL needs to rethink the policy.  

I don't disagree with any of that.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Doesn’t the candidate have to be on the development advisory panel list?   I think that is comprised of candidates that haven’t been head coaches before.  

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Doesn’t the candidate have to be on the development advisory panel list?   I think that is comprised of candidates that haven’t been head coaches before.  

I think the league gives teams the option of a minority candidate on the list, or another minority candidate who is not on the team's current staff. 

32 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

He will get an interview because of the NFL policy to interview minority candidates. No one will hire this guy except as a DC.  I doubt he ever gets another HC offer. He has screwed up so badly and so publicly with the Jets that he has sealed his own fate.

if Rex can get a second chance (Bills), then anyone can.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly what if he’s the best guy available on the market now that I’m thinking about it? If we don’t grab McCarthy then who the heck are we gonna get? One guy mentioned Dan Campbell before LOL. Maybe it’s not as crazy at is seems to just keep Bowles?

You just shut up with talk like that ! lol

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Mike Garafolo reporting there’s a good chance he will land on his feet with another head coaching job. What if he goes on to be successful somewhere else? 

He will never be hired as a HC again.  Like someone said and I concur, the guy commits a fireable offense with an in game decision on virtually a WEEKLY basis.  Without the most powder puff schedule in his 1st year, that would have been a Double Digit Loss season too.  Many of those 10 wins BARELY happened and they were virtually ALL, all 10, against the most bottom feeders of the league...so very well you could say the guy practically presided over 4 consecutive double digit loss seasons.

His 2 years as DC in AZ was spent coaching a unit that consisted of almost ALL All-Pros.  You personally could have done as good a job as he did with that personnel.  And don't forget how he got that job.  His close friend Ariens gave him that job after he had spent over 20 years being an assistant on multiple teams.

How this guy ever was given a HC job is a travesty.  I realize it's not all his fault due to what Maccagnan put on the field, but I doubt San Diego even finishes with a .500 record this year if Bowles were their coach.

Dear Jets’ Owner

With this letter I am officially applying for the job of Head Coach of the Jets football franchise. Although I have no previous experience with managing an NFL football team, I can guarantee you a winning record next year, and I can assure the Jets of playoff slot.

Why am I so confident of the winning results that I can produce?

Simply, because I am clearly much smarter than the current Head Coach of the Jets.

After watching football for 50+ years, with focus on every Jets game this season and for the past few seasons, it is clear to me that the current Head Coach of the Jets has never watched an NFL Football game in his entire life.

Based on how the Jets are playing under the current Head Coach it is clear to me that the Coach has no understanding of how professional football should be played. The Jets offense and defense is predictable, sloppy and not in the least creative. The team has immense talent, but the lack of basic understanding of the game by the Head Coach has led to yet another dismal season.

As I know that talk is cheap, and that it is easy to criticize a coach or manager in any sport, please allow me to provide just a sample of items that the current Head Coach is doing wrong, and a sample of fixes that I would implement if you decide to trust me with the Head Coaching opportunity. I will be happy to discuss with you, in person, the improvements required to rectify the way the team is preforming.

Problem:  Jets quarterbacks are constantly having their passes batted down by the opposing defense.

Fix: Have the quarterback take 10 steps backwards before passing the ball, regardless of the whether he takes the snap out of the shotgun or under center. A few more steps back will prevent batted balls by the defense, and will have no impact on the pass, as all NFL quarterbacks have strong throwing arms and can easily make up the small additional distance that the few steps back created. Easy fix for a recurring Jets QB problem.

Problem: All season long it looks to me that the Jets are struggling move the ball down the field

Fixes: Stop throwing the ball sideways. That play rarely gets first down yardage. Stop playing from side line to sideline, and play the game the way it is supposed to be played – north to south. Throw the ball down the field ONLY. You have one great wide receiver in Anderson. Why are there many games where for most of the game he has not even seen the ball spinning his way? Throw the ball long. Throw it to your best and fastest receiver again, and again and again. In the offseason get another speedy wide receiver and plan to throw it long to these two fast athletes at least 25 times each game. Make the other team worry about these flight risks in their defensive package. Throw the bomb! Stop relying on the short dumps and the running game exclusively.

With regard to your short passing game, when you need 9-10 yards for a first down, stop throwing the ball 3-4 yards and hope that the receiver can make up the remaining yards with his legs. It doesn’t work that way, most of the time. Most of the time, you end up with the 3-4 yards you passed and then you have to punt the ball. Don’t throw the ball unless you have a receiver open beyond the first down marker. You need to constantly throw the ball passed the first yard marker. Extend the passing lane. Stop the dinks and dunks.

Also, stop running the ball primarily up the middle. The defense expects the Jets to run up the middle.

Design plays for your running-back where he gets to the outside, and runs parallel to the sidelines.

Mix it up. If you run up the middle every time, the opposing defense is expecting you. The football field is wide enough to let your runners escape. Use the field beyond the path up the middle!

Problem: Most of the time the Jets QB stands like a statue in the pocket. Statue of Liberty. Frozen.

Fix: Teach your QB to be mobile. Teach your QB to think about gaining yardage with his legs, as often as with his arm. A mobile QB gives the wide receivers time to get open, and a mobile QB escapes defenders, and a mobile QB gains yard with his legs. A frozen statue in the pocket, accomplishes none of these. Set your QB free, and let him roam the field and give the opposing defense yet another thing to worry about.

Problem: Penalties, penalties, lost yardage, negated positive yardage

Fix: How many times do the Jets shoot themselves in the foot with penalties? Offside, encroachment, personal fouls, delay of game, roughing the passer (when they finally get to him), pass interference, holding etc etc . If I was the Head Coach of the Jets I would set a $1,000-$5,000 penalty for each offensive or defensive player who commits a penalty where yardage is forfeited, or free yardage is given to the opposing team. I would penalize every player who makes a mistake, in every game of the season. There would be zero tolerance for human error.

Problem: Fumbles, interceptions by the opposing defense, dropped balls by our offense

Fix: Again, under my “zero tolerance for error” program, fumbles, and passes that are intercepted by the other team and dropped balls that should have been caught by our receivers would be lead to financial penalties on the Jets player involved. With time, the players would understand that the Head Coach will not tolerate errors on the field.

Problem: Head Coach calling defensive plays that clearly are illogical and show no understanding of the game.

Fix: How many times this year has the opposing team been in a third and short situation, and you see the Jets defenders standing ten yards from scrimmage, and the opposing QB throws a simple short underneath pass and the gains a first down? Why would the Jets defenders be beyond the first down marker?!?!? It would be smarter to take on the risk of an opposing wide receiver blowing past you, then it is to give them an easy first down on a short pass when you are ten yards beyond them. Where is the Head Coach when this happens again, and again and again?

Problem: The Jets are soooooooooooo predictable and boring, and they are rarely creative

Fix: Use the Hurry-up no huddle offense at least 30% of the game. Keep the opposing defense off balance and don’t give them time to set themselves. USE TRICK PLAYS REGULARLY. Use the flee flicker, and fake a punt 15% of the time, and go for it on 4th down when you are 3 yards or less short after 3rd down. Pass the ball when the run is expected. Run when the pass is expected. Be creative. Stop being predictable.

As I watch the Jets play this year I can call/predict the next play at a rate of 90% accuracy and I do not have a copy of the Jets playbook. It is really simple to predict each offensive play. For example, on first down the JETS primarily run the ball up the middle, without success. Rarely do they throw a pass or a down field bomb on first down. Also, as soon as its 4th down and two to three yards to go, you know that they will punt the ball. And the QB has to learn how to better fake a handoff and then pass the ball. When I watch other teams play, I often truly believe that the play is a run, and seconds later I see the football flying through the air. The Jets QB fools no one. He doesn’t know how to sell the faked handoff. The defense doesn’t bite on the run, and defends the pass which is the obvious play that arises.

On defense, you know the Jets will blitz on 3rd and long, but rarely blitz on 1st and 10. Why not? Why not bring the blitz on any down – 1st to 3rd, short yardage or long? Keep the other teams QB guessing. Bring the blitz on short third yard conversions and on first down.

Problem: Red Zone Offense – the Jets simply stink as they get closer to their goal post.

Fix: Is it really that hard to score as you come closer to your own end zone? As the new Head Coach of the Jets I will prove to all Jet fans that it is not brain surgery to get the football into your end zone once you are 20 yards or closer to the end zone. Use the mobile QB threat, use the sidelines as your friend, use trick plays, pretend you are still at your 50 yard line and run your offense the same way. It seems like the Jets get “scared” as they get closer to their end zone, and they can not execute the pass and catch, or the run. Folks, its psychological and bad play calling! Logic dictates that the closer you are to your end zone the easier it is to score. If you can score a 40 – 50 yard touchdown you should be able to score an eight yard touchdown. HORRIBLE play calling. That is what you see every Sunday form the Jets coaches. I blame the coach.

Problem: Managing the game clock. How many times have we seen the Jets fall behind by two scores with under 8 minutes remaining in the game, and you see no sense of urgency in the huddle or while they line up.

It seems that they don’t know the score or that the game is almost over and they are behind.

Fix: Implement the hurry up offense throughout the game and if you are behind by one or more scores, implement the hurry up from the start of the fourth quarter until the end of the game. Don’t wait until the game is out of reach to start playing with urgency. It is the Coaches job to instill a sense of urgency as soon as the team is trailing at any point in the game. The current Head Coach of the Jets always looks like he is napping on the sidelines instead of showing emotion for his players to feed off of. Wake up coach! You are getting paid to win games, not to sleep through your teams losses.

The list above is simply a small sample of the many serious errors being made by the current Head Coach of the Jets and my own remedies, which I will implement the moment that you hire me for the Head Coach position of the Jets to start next season. I look forward to meeting you during my interview.

Sincerely

Coach Better

55 minutes ago, NEWJETSHEADCOACH said:

Dear Jets’ Owner

With this letter I am officially applying for the job of Head Coach of the Jets football franchise. Although I have no previous experience with managing an NFL football team, I can guarantee you a winning record next year, and I can assure the Jets of playoff slot.

Why am I so confident of the winning results that I can produce?

Simply, because I am clearly much smarter than the current Head Coach of the Jets.

After watching football for 50+ years, with focus on every Jets game this season and for the past few seasons, it is clear to me that the current Head Coach of the Jets has never watched an NFL Football game in his entire life.

Based on how the Jets are playing under the current Head Coach it is clear to me that the Coach has no understanding of how professional football should be played. The Jets offense and defense is predictable, sloppy and not in the least creative. The team has immense talent, but the lack of basic understanding of the game by the Head Coach has led to yet another dismal season.

As I know that talk is cheap, and that it is easy to criticize a coach or manager in any sport, please allow me to provide just a sample of items that the current Head Coach is doing wrong, and a sample of fixes that I would implement if you decide to trust me with the Head Coaching opportunity. I will be happy to discuss with you, in person, the improvements required to rectify the way the team is preforming.

Problem:  Jets quarterbacks are constantly having their passes batted down by the opposing defense.

Fix: Have the quarterback take 10 steps backwards before passing the ball, regardless of the whether he takes the snap out of the shotgun or under center. A few more steps back will prevent batted balls by the defense, and will have no impact on the pass, as all NFL quarterbacks have strong throwing arms and can easily make up the small additional distance that the few steps back created. Easy fix for a recurring Jets QB problem.

Problem: All season long it looks to me that the Jets are struggling move the ball down the field

Fixes: Stop throwing the ball sideways. That play rarely gets first down yardage. Stop playing from side line to sideline, and play the game the way it is supposed to be played – north to south. Throw the ball down the field ONLY. You have one great wide receiver in Anderson. Why are there many games where for most of the game he has not even seen the ball spinning his way? Throw the ball long. Throw it to your best and fastest receiver again, and again and again. In the offseason get another speedy wide receiver and plan to throw it long to these two fast athletes at least 25 times each game. Make the other team worry about these flight risks in their defensive package. Throw the bomb! Stop relying on the short dumps and the running game exclusively.

With regard to your short passing game, when you need 9-10 yards for a first down, stop throwing the ball 3-4 yards and hope that the receiver can make up the remaining yards with his legs. It doesn’t work that way, most of the time. Most of the time, you end up with the 3-4 yards you passed and then you have to punt the ball. Don’t throw the ball unless you have a receiver open beyond the first down marker. You need to constantly throw the ball passed the first yard marker. Extend the passing lane. Stop the dinks and dunks.

Also, stop running the ball primarily up the middle. The defense expects the Jets to run up the middle.

Design plays for your running-back where he gets to the outside, and runs parallel to the sidelines.

Mix it up. If you run up the middle every time, the opposing defense is expecting you. The football field is wide enough to let your runners escape. Use the field beyond the path up the middle!

Problem: Most of the time the Jets QB stands like a statue in the pocket. Statue of Liberty. Frozen.

Fix: Teach your QB to be mobile. Teach your QB to think about gaining yardage with his legs, as often as with his arm. A mobile QB gives the wide receivers time to get open, and a mobile QB escapes defenders, and a mobile QB gains yard with his legs. A frozen statue in the pocket, accomplishes none of these. Set your QB free, and let him roam the field and give the opposing defense yet another thing to worry about.

Problem: Penalties, penalties, lost yardage, negated positive yardage

Fix: How many times do the Jets shoot themselves in the foot with penalties? Offside, encroachment, personal fouls, delay of game, roughing the passer (when they finally get to him), pass interference, holding etc etc . If I was the Head Coach of the Jets I would set a $1,000-$5,000 penalty for each offensive or defensive player who commits a penalty where yardage is forfeited, or free yardage is given to the opposing team. I would penalize every player who makes a mistake, in every game of the season. There would be zero tolerance for human error.

Problem: Fumbles, interceptions by the opposing defense, dropped balls by our offense

Fix: Again, under my “zero tolerance for error” program, fumbles, and passes that are intercepted by the other team and dropped balls that should have been caught by our receivers would be lead to financial penalties on the Jets player involved. With time, the players would understand that the Head Coach will not tolerate errors on the field.

Problem: Head Coach calling defensive plays that clearly are illogical and show no understanding of the game.

Fix: How many times this year has the opposing team been in a third and short situation, and you see the Jets defenders standing ten yards from scrimmage, and the opposing QB throws a simple short underneath pass and the gains a first down? Why would the Jets defenders be beyond the first down marker?!?!? It would be smarter to take on the risk of an opposing wide receiver blowing past you, then it is to give them an easy first down on a short pass when you are ten yards beyond them. Where is the Head Coach when this happens again, and again and again?

Problem: The Jets are soooooooooooo predictable and boring, and they are rarely creative

Fix: Use the Hurry-up no huddle offense at least 30% of the game. Keep the opposing defense off balance and don’t give them time to set themselves. USE TRICK PLAYS REGULARLY. Use the flee flicker, and fake a punt 15% of the time, and go for it on 4th down when you are 3 yards or less short after 3rd down. Pass the ball when the run is expected. Run when the pass is expected. Be creative. Stop being predictable.

As I watch the Jets play this year I can call/predict the next play at a rate of 90% accuracy and I do not have a copy of the Jets playbook. It is really simple to predict each offensive play. For example, on first down the JETS primarily run the ball up the middle, without success. Rarely do they throw a pass or a down field bomb on first down. Also, as soon as its 4th down and two to three yards to go, you know that they will punt the ball. And the QB has to learn how to better fake a handoff and then pass the ball. When I watch other teams play, I often truly believe that the play is a run, and seconds later I see the football flying through the air. The Jets QB fools no one. He doesn’t know how to sell the faked handoff. The defense doesn’t bite on the run, and defends the pass which is the obvious play that arises.

On defense, you know the Jets will blitz on 3rd and long, but rarely blitz on 1st and 10. Why not? Why not bring the blitz on any down – 1st to 3rd, short yardage or long? Keep the other teams QB guessing. Bring the blitz on short third yard conversions and on first down.

Problem: Red Zone Offense – the Jets simply stink as they get closer to their goal post.

Fix: Is it really that hard to score as you come closer to your own end zone? As the new Head Coach of the Jets I will prove to all Jet fans that it is not brain surgery to get the football into your end zone once you are 20 yards or closer to the end zone. Use the mobile QB threat, use the sidelines as your friend, use trick plays, pretend you are still at your 50 yard line and run your offense the same way. It seems like the Jets get “scared” as they get closer to their end zone, and they can not execute the pass and catch, or the run. Folks, its psychological and bad play calling! Logic dictates that the closer you are to your end zone the easier it is to score. If you can score a 40 – 50 yard touchdown you should be able to score an eight yard touchdown. HORRIBLE play calling. That is what you see every Sunday form the Jets coaches. I blame the coach.

Problem: Managing the game clock. How many times have we seen the Jets fall behind by two scores with under 8 minutes remaining in the game, and you see no sense of urgency in the huddle or while they line up.

It seems that they don’t know the score or that the game is almost over and they are behind.

Fix: Implement the hurry up offense throughout the game and if you are behind by one or more scores, implement the hurry up from the start of the fourth quarter until the end of the game. Don’t wait until the game is out of reach to start playing with urgency. It is the Coaches job to instill a sense of urgency as soon as the team is trailing at any point in the game. The current Head Coach of the Jets always looks like he is napping on the sidelines instead of showing emotion for his players to feed off of. Wake up coach! You are getting paid to win games, not to sleep through your teams losses.

The list above is simply a small sample of the many serious errors being made by the current Head Coach of the Jets and my own remedies, which I will implement the moment that you hire me for the Head Coach position of the Jets to start next season. I look forward to meeting you during my interview.

Sincerely

Coach Better

Slow Saturday for yah?

Archived