JetsFanatic

Jets want Jim Harbaugh

The Jets already have their new head-coaching target in mind: Jim Harbaugh.

Apparently, the Jets have expressed interest in interviewing the University of Michigan head coach once the regular season ends, according to ProFootballTalk. That obviously assumes that the team fired current head coach Todd Bowles, which seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Harbaugh has already said that he plans on staying put at Michigan, his alma mater, for the 2019. So if the Jets have any chance of prying him out of that job, they’ll almost certainly have to throw a ton of money in his direction -- and he’s already making about $7 million at the Big Ten powerhouse.

Odds are that the Jets would have to make some serious organizational changes in order to hire Harbaugh, too. As Harbaugh’s time with the San Francisco 49ers wound down a few years ago, reports emerged that there was friction in the organization over the coach’s desire for more control over the roster and personnel moves.

So, that could well mean that in order to land Harbaugh, they’d have to fire general manager Mike Maccagnan, too. Or, at the very least, they’d like have to significantly reduce his role -- assuming Harbaugh wants the same sort of power that he sought with the 49ers.

While Harbaugh has been out of the NFL game for four years now, he certainly has a track record of success in the pro game. He led the 49ers to two division titles, two NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl – which they lost to the Ravens, who were coaches by his brother John – in his four seasons. He also put together a 44-19-1 record in San Francisco.

Since leaving the NFL, he’s gone 38-13 with Michigan. The Wolverines went 10-2 and tied for the Big Ten East Division title this past season. 

For what it’s worth, Harbaugh just finished his fourth season at Michigan -- and has a track record of only staying in place for four years. That’s how much time he spent at Stanford before he went to the 49ers, where he stayed from 2011-14.

I like the idea of a guy with his experience and history of success, but I really don't see it happening. It just seems unlikely. He's under contract making $7 mil a year at his alma mater. If we could pull it off it is a no brainer IMO but once again I don't see it as realistic. 

It also looks like its the Johnson bros. taking matters into their own hands over the GM. Why would Macc try to hire a guy who would  basically want to take away his position in the org?  If that's the case it's really a bad look for us. It would be one thing to fire Macc and look around for his replacement, but not to go around him. 

I really like the Mike McCarthy idea and hope the Jets don't go fishing in a swimming pool while all the fish get caught in the lake next door. 

This, if accurate,  muddies things a bit. 

2 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

One good thing about this coaching rumour carousel is unlike the draft rumours which go on for months, it should be all over pretty quick in comparison.

This is a good and sobering point. Thank God for that fact. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Another thought.

The Jets have been an air tight ship for the last 4 years information wise.

Suddenly coaching rumors and now a "full control" rumor are cropping up everywhere.

I'm not so sure Macc is as safe as has been previously reported.

I was actually thinking the same thing.  I struggle to believe Macc would try and get Harbaugh knowing he left San Fran because he wanted more control of the personnel. 

Hey, do you think Macc would be on board for a role of Head of Football operations or something like that?  Could we see an entire restructuring of the administration? 

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

No but I’ve seen Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric magini, here Edwards, al grough etc 

Let's add Walt Michaels, Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet, Pete Carrol (first HC gig) to that list.

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I guess you haven't seen the success Matt Nagy, Jim Reich , Doug Pedersen , Sean McVay have had, No let's hire a retread that will gurantee us 4 more years of pound the rock football because he's a proven name. 

That's a pretty big point right there no? 

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If I were to believe this rumor(not sure I do yet) I certainly could see a scenario where Macc stays with a new trumped up title but less power and then graciously leaves in a year or 2.

That would be an interesting wrinkle to all of this.  A lot of people have problems with Macc's draft picks and contracts. I wonder how a lot of those same people would feel (I believe you fall into that category) with Macc having more of an operations role with less direct impact on the actual players. I'm not saying I'm for it. I'm just thinking while I type sorta thing. 

I guess I'm trying to look at scenarios where this rumor actually makes sense. 

One way is that the Johnson's are looking to get rid of Macc like you said. Another is that they are just tinkering again without his inclusion like the turds they are. 

The rest would have to be that Macc understands Harbaugh's desire to have control of the personnel choices and there is another piece like we are discussing. 

This is actually interesting to me unlike the rehashing of the same topics we've been tossing around on here lately. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Might as well just say well he's from the Parcells tree of the Belicheck tree etc......

Naaaah. Not quite the same.  He actually IS a proven name. Not just a big name, but a proven name. Two college programs rebuilt into successes and he took the niners who were having a really hard time for years to the Super Bowl. That's a little bit more than just being from a successful coaching tree. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Niners had a great D  that he rode along with the flukey year from Kap. College successes mean absolutely nothing to me with their unlimited resources that are used to lure the best talent in the country. 

The niners had like 10 straight losing seasons before he got there. They got to the championship his first season and the Super Bowl his second. Come on man. I can understand if you don't want him, but the guy is a proven winner in three programs. One was in the NFL. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And the Jets went to the AFCCG and playoffs under Rex his 1st 2 seasons.  By your criteria we should just bring him back right ?

Once again that's not the same. You would have to remove the last 4 years of Rex's tenure for that point to be applicable.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BigO said:

More like Head of the Cafeteria 

That's not the same thing? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sure . Just because a guy had success elsewhere doesn't mean he'll work here . Look at Saban and his stint in the NFL. Or how about the much over rated Bill Parcells who only looked for can't lose situations and would bail when things got tough and the salary cap bills came due. 

Harbaugh and his abrasive attitude would be like Rex part two w/o being funny at times. He'll alienate players and then we'll be stuck with him for what 5-7 years.  He's had success but IMO is the absolute wrong fit for this team at this point. 

Rex was the embodiment of a players coach.  Totally opposite of what you are saying. You have many of your points all jumbled up. I can't believe you're still trying to make these arguments from last night.  It's cool that you don't want him, but the examples you are using and the conclusions you're drawing are kinda silly.  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company