JetsFanatic

Jets want Jim Harbaugh

The Jets already have their new head-coaching target in mind: Jim Harbaugh.

Apparently, the Jets have expressed interest in interviewing the University of Michigan head coach once the regular season ends, according to ProFootballTalk. That obviously assumes that the team fired current head coach Todd Bowles, which seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Harbaugh has already said that he plans on staying put at Michigan, his alma mater, for the 2019. So if the Jets have any chance of prying him out of that job, they’ll almost certainly have to throw a ton of money in his direction -- and he’s already making about $7 million at the Big Ten powerhouse.

Odds are that the Jets would have to make some serious organizational changes in order to hire Harbaugh, too. As Harbaugh’s time with the San Francisco 49ers wound down a few years ago, reports emerged that there was friction in the organization over the coach’s desire for more control over the roster and personnel moves.

So, that could well mean that in order to land Harbaugh, they’d have to fire general manager Mike Maccagnan, too. Or, at the very least, they’d like have to significantly reduce his role -- assuming Harbaugh wants the same sort of power that he sought with the 49ers.

While Harbaugh has been out of the NFL game for four years now, he certainly has a track record of success in the pro game. He led the 49ers to two division titles, two NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl – which they lost to the Ravens, who were coaches by his brother John – in his four seasons. He also put together a 44-19-1 record in San Francisco.

Since leaving the NFL, he’s gone 38-13 with Michigan. The Wolverines went 10-2 and tied for the Big Ten East Division title this past season. 

For what it’s worth, Harbaugh just finished his fourth season at Michigan -- and has a track record of only staying in place for four years. That’s how much time he spent at Stanford before he went to the 49ers, where he stayed from 2011-14.

They’re saying the Jets are going to throw a ton of money at him. Hope he comes would be a good choice I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He also won 49 games in 4 years for a franchise that had won 48 games the previous 8 seasons combined and he completely changed the direction of Alex Smith's career. Before Harbaugh showed up Smith was a bust. Smith has gone on to have a pretty successful career. He would be a good guy to develop Darnold.

And he brought kapernick to a Superbowl

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

We would have to give this guy near the same deal as chucky got and the same freedom.  No. Stay away from that kind of commitment.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why in the world would the Jets get an abrasive HC who doesn’t even run a modern college offense!!!

Good Grief!!!

Yea why on earth would the Jets get a HC that was robbed a SB by the NFL. What could they be thinking!

Just now, Beerfish said:

We would have to give this guy near the same deal as chucky got and the same freedom.  No. Stay away from that kind of commitment.

Why? Who cares it’s not your money.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

One good thing about this coaching rumour carousel is unlike the draft rumours which go on for months, it should be all over pretty quick in comparison.

I'd be willing to give him a shot. Unproven former coordinators aren't cutting it as it's a crap shoot with them.

We need to go fishing for big game.

• Upvote 1

Do it Brothers Johnson!!!  Harbaugh is a beast in terms of building
programs, QB's and staffs.  Look at his record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

In addition he's developed Andrew Luck, Alex Smith (when he was a
bust) and Colin Kaepernick (when he looked like the next big thing).
He also knows how to pick coaches David Shaw and Vic Fangio were
on his staffs through the years 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

no thx... I think there are better candidates out there.

Like who? Harbaugh is the best along with McCarthey

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of a guy with his experience and history of success, but I really don't see it happening. It just seems unlikely. He's under contract making $7 mil a year at his alma mater. If we could pull it off it is a no brainer IMO but once again I don't see it as realistic. 

It also looks like its the Johnson bros. taking matters into their own hands over the GM. Why would Macc try to hire a guy who would  basically want to take away his position in the org?  If that's the case it's really a bad look for us. It would be one thing to fire Macc and look around for his replacement, but not to go around him. 

I really like the Mike McCarthy idea and hope the Jets don't go fishing in a swimming pool while all the fish get caught in the lake next door. 

This, if accurate,  muddies things a bit. 

2 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

One good thing about this coaching rumour carousel is unlike the draft rumours which go on for months, it should be all over pretty quick in comparison.

This is a good and sobering point. Thank God for that fact. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Yea why on earth would the Jets get a HC that was robbed a SB by the NFL. What could they be thinking!

Yes you may be right but we will see. I think that the Jets do make a run at him.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Last 3 years Mac has led the his team to

5-11

5-11

4-12. 

Give Harbaugh the key to the city and as much control as he wants. Or would we rather see 

5-11   5-11   4-12 AGAIN 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is Florio a legit source these days?  Legit question.  I don't follow him/Pro Football talk anymore.

That said, I'm a fairly open minded person when it comes to my sports teams, but I just wouldn't be very excited for Harbaugh.

He gets sh*t on a ton (hell, I've done it myself), but he KILLED it this last off-season.  Like, was far and away the most accurate guy in the media, and spent a ton of time gloating about it.  It was a wonky spring, lmfao.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Like who? Harbaugh is the best along with McCarthey

I'd rather have Carmichael, Toub, or Riley... an Offensive minded HC for Today's NFL... Especially with a QB like Sam... I know Toub is a ST's coach but he's a Reid disciple & his disciples have been pretty successful as HC's in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why? Who cares it’s not your money.

Well for one it is the fans  money.  Each move a team makes that they can toss money at means the fans pay more for tickets merchandise more commercials etc.

2nd of all that kind of control gets you guys that think they are gms but do not have the skills.  Trading mack and cooper for unproven assets is the other issue.

Jets should not be blindly going after this guy. Fire Bowles and put up the help wanted sign and if Harbaugh applies for the job then fine. If he says he’s staying where hes at then why force his hand to go somewhere just for money - he might not wanna be here. Unless u hear from his agent that he might be interested leave it alone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He also won 49 games in 4 years for a franchise that had won 48 games the previous 8 seasons combined and he completely changed the direction of Alex Smith's career. Before Harbaugh showed up Smith was a bust. Smith has gone on to have a pretty successful career. He would be a good guy to develop Darnold.

He also made Kaepernick look good.  After Harbaugh Left Kaepernick looked like Geno

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Those guys have 0 nfl experience and can’t shine Jim’s shoes. But typical jets fans reasoning, hire another coordinator instead of a proven head coach.

I've started leaning this way too. No experience need not apply.

Hire Harbaugh and sign Kaep just to watch the local media lose their ever loving minds
You'd need to get rid of woody before that happens

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

Last 3 years Mac has led the his team to

5-11

5-11

4-12. 

Give Harbaugh the key to the city and as much control as he wants. Or would we rather see 

5-11   5-11   4-12 AGAIN 

Those are not exclusive. 

I'm all  for dumping mac.  I am not for giving a coach a 10 year deal and let him chose all the players,  It never works unless the guy has already won something,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Those guys have 0 nfl experience and can’t shine Jim’s shoes. But typical jets fans reasoning, hire another coordinator instead of a proven head coach.

That's okay, I'd still prefer them over Harbaugh/McCarthy.

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I guess you haven't seen the success Matt Nagy, Jim Reich , Doug Pedersen , Sean McVay have had, No let's hire a retread that will gurantee us 4 more years of pound the rock football because he's a proven name. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hire Harbaugh and sign Kaep just to watch the local media lose their ever loving minds

If that were to happen, Woody would go from ambassador of the UK to manager of The Churchill Tavern.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I guess you haven't seen the success Matt Nagy, Jim Reich , Doug Pedersen , Sean McVay have had, No let's hire a retread that will gurantee us 4 more years of pound the rock football because he's a proven name. 

No but I’ve seen Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric magini, here Edwards, al grough etc 

• Post of the Week 1

One of the few with enough gravitas to require a say in roster decisions.  I'd be ok with a reduced role or even termination for Macc if it means getting Jim.  Guy is legit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

No but I’ve seen Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric magini, here Edwards, al grough etc 

Then why the hell would you want Harbaugh.