JetsFanatic

Jets want Jim Harbaugh

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Who is a better candidate than Jim Harbaugh?

Carmichael, Moorehead, Lafleur . We need a progressive offensive mind that eat's, sleeps and breathe's offense. We have a QB ,we need to take advantage of the NFL rules that favor marquee QB's and offense. Harbaugh is just as much a ground and pound guy as our previous HC's . People are getting fooled by the success he's has elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Carmichael, Moorehead, Lafleur . We need a progressive offensive mind that eat's, sleeps and breathe's offense. We have a QB ,we need to take advantage of the NFL rules that favor marquee QB's and offense. Harbaugh is just as much a ground and pound guy as our previous HC's . People are getting fooled by the success he's has elsewhere. 

You have literally no proof that any of those guys would be better than Harbaugh. You just want the soup du jour.

• Like 1

Just now, sourceworx said:

You have literally no proof that any of those guys would be better than Harbaugh. You just want the soup du jour.

And you have no proof Harbaugh would be better than any of those 3 here.  You just want the big name. 

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Serious question. Have there been rumors leaked of us going after McCarthy, or has his name just come up in articles or on this board because he’s now available?

That article/rumor that he was high on our list. It was legit.

It's funny, because I remember the reports in 2014 that the Jets were heavily pursuing Harbaugh then and tried to change his mind even though he was set on going to Michigan.

If all this is true, it's makes me laugh so hard because we had the chance to hire Jim in 2009 and opted to go with Rex instead.

I guess it shows that it doesn't matter whether it's players, coaches, or GMs; the Jets are never good at finding talent from underneath. Only good at spotting talent when they're finished products and deciding to do whatever they can to lure them to us

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Carmichael doesn't call plays, who the hell is Moorehead, and Mariota has seemingly regressed under Lafleur.   Not to mention - the Titans have been running the ball a lot more than passing it during their 4 game winning streak.

Just now, peekskill68 said:

You could have a fair debate with him vs. Shanahan...

I would take Shanahan over him in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

You could have a fair debate with him vs. Shanahan...

Not in my mind..  Shanahan is a dinosaur and never won anything without Elway and TD. 

There are a lot of coaches I'd want over him.

• Like 1

A better question is why would Jim Harbaugh come to the jets?    

This is one of the most dysfunctional franchises in all of sports and harbugh has a great resume.   With Meyer gone he’s now king sh*t of the big 10 until frost takes over which is still 2-3 years away.   Why would Harbaugh come here outside of darnolds potential?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Carmichael doesn't call plays, who the hell is Moorehead, and Mariota has seemingly regressed under Lafleur.   Not to mention - the Titans have been running the ball a lot more than passing it during their 4 game winning streak.

Joe Moorehead the current HC  at Miss St, he was the Penn St OC the two years prior. Yeah I know Payton calls the plays in NO, but Carmichael is intricately involved with that offense. Outside of Henry the Titans skill players are meh and I feel Sam is a much better QB than Mariota, Plus Vrabel is yet another defensive minded HC that skews the direction of that team. 

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

A better question is why would Jim Harbaugh come to the jets?    

This is one of the most dysfunctional franchises in all of sports and harbugh has a great resume.   With Meyer gone he’s now king sh*t of the big 10 until frost takes over which is still 2-3 years away.   Why would Harbaugh come here outside of darnolds potential?

Because winners know they can make a difference.  They're not scared of the boogeyman or whatever other ridiculous fantasies some fans ascribe to the Jets.

Check his record against his main competition in the Big 10 east.  2-6 I believe vs Michigan State and Ohio State.  He gets recruits at the level of Ohio State but gets owned ever year.  Plus he is a douche bag and NY media will hound him.  So this is the guy you want to run our team? 

I don't see it plus I'd like him to stay where he is.  He is doing great!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And you have no proof Harbaugh would be better than any of those 3 here.  You just want the big name. 

Um yeah actually I do.

- The best college prospect since Peyton Manning developed under him.-

He went to a championship game with a team that Mike Singletary couldn't get to .500 with.

- He went to a Super Bowl (and almost won) with a guy that isn't an NFL-caliber QB. 

Remind what the guys you mentioned have done? Carmichael is working with an all-time great QB. He's the cajun Josh McDaniels. A Hall of Famer's coffee boy.

LaFleur has been underwhelming in Tennessee. 

And Moorehead who? 

Please. I'll take Harbaugh. And if he doesn't want it, go after Scott Frost. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Um yeah actually I do.

- The best college prospect since Peyton Manning developed under him.-

He went to a championship game with a team that Mike Singletary couldn't get to .500 with.

- He went to a Super Bowl (and almost won) with a guy that isn't an NFL-caliber QB. 

Remind what the guys you mentioned have done? Carmichael is working with an all-time great QB. He's the cajun Josh McDaniels. A Hall of Famer's coffee boy.

LaFleur has been underwhelming in Tennessee. 

And Moorehead who? 

Please. I'll take Harbaugh. And if he doesn't want it, go after Scott Frost. 

Scott Frost is not leaving his alma mater after 1 year.

28 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Scott Frost is not leaving his alma mater after 1 year.

Everyone has a price.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I'd let Harbaugh pick his own GM.

Perhaps Tom Gamble.  He was a candidate in the Jets GM search 4 years ago.  He has been hanging out in Michigan with Harbaugh the last year and a half.  Supposedly a well respected draft guy and also close friends with Rex.

GM - Tom Gamble

HC - Jim Harbaugh

OC - Pep Hamilton - helped develop Luck, and is an ex-Jets coach

DC - Rex Ryan - wasn't a great head coach but a solid DC

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

44-19 in the NFL. 5-3 in postseason. Harbaugh was an extremely successful coach during his tenure with the San Francisco 49ers. His resume says it all: Four seasons, three NFC Championship Games, one Super Bowl

What planet are you on?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Perhaps Tom Gamble.  He was a candidate in the Jets GM search 4 years ago.  He has been hanging out in Michigan with Harbaugh the last year and a half.  Supposedly a well respected draft guy and also close friends with Rex.

GM - Tom Gamble

HC - Jim Harbaugh

OC - Pep Hamilton - helped develop Luck, and is an ex-Jets coach

DC - Rex Ryan - wasn't a great head coach but a solid DC

Harbaugh & Rex... now That would be a circus... if the Browns dump Williams I'd prefer him as the DC.

• Upvote 3

I know its his alma mader, but I dont think he is the type of guy who wants to deal with the crap a coach has to deal with at one of these blue blood schools. Blue Bloods like UM are the worst because expectations are not in line with reality. 

If the Jets make a run at him its because they know hes looking to get out. Whether its the right time and place for him remains to be seen, but I dont expect Jim to be coaching at UM forever.

It’ll come down to 3 things to easily seal this deal:

1. How much control he has.

2. $

3. How he feels about Sam Darnold.

If J & J open the bank vault, give full control, and Harbaugh thinks highly of Darnold, I say he signs. Michigan will likely force him out in a year or two. If he has the chance to control an NFL team with a young FQB, for big  $, I say he definitely leaves.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We would have to give this guy near the same deal as chucky got and the same freedom.  No. Stay away from that kind of commitment.

The alternative is giving Jack Del Rio $2.5 million, keeping Maccagnan, then flushing them both in four years 

I don’t see him leaving Michigan yet, but if he did at least it would spell doom for Macc. No way any coach with a resume like his comes on with that dead weight attached. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

He also won 49 games in 4 years for a franchise that had won 48 games the previous 8 seasons combined and he completely changed the direction of Alex Smith's career. Before Harbaugh showed up Smith was a bust. Smith has gone on to have a pretty successful career. He would be a good guy to develop Darnold.

I am not opposed to the guy. I just think he is volatile.  And I hope the Jets dont chase themselves up a tree wasting time with him.  Sign him or move on.  It would be just like them to miss out on the best candidates with a publicity search

• Upvote 1

Just do not waste time chasing the guy.  He has been here (the NFL)  and done this.  So that is encouraging. Get an answer quick.  There are few enough solid candidates out there. You don't want them to be gone when you remove your nose from Harbaugh's ass.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Niners had a great D  that he rode along with the flukey year from Kap. College successes mean absolutely nothing to me with their unlimited resources that are used to lure the best talent in the country. 

You keep saying this as if NFL teams dont have to recruit. In todays NFL players who have options need to be recruited and a player like Bell is much more likely to "run with the Jets" if we have Jim as the coach. People keep saying this fantasy nonsense about Jim running a smashmouth offense when in fact when he was with SF Kap did NOT run a smashmouth offense at all. Jim tailored the offense to the player he had. 

I am NOT advocating for Jim specifically but lets cut the B.S. here. Jim would be far and away the best coach we have had in a very very long time and has the potential to get us at least as close to the superbowl as parcells did who also by the way generally leaves after a few years in a program. 

And cut the crap about him alienating players, who exactly on this team are you worried about pissing off? Jim gets along with the QB, PERIOD. I dont give a rats ass about anyone else, he has what we need.

1. winning record

2. qb experience and development

3. a large enough name to attract GOOD free agents

4. the attitude to change the culture

5. the balls to bench underperforming players

what the hell am I missing again? Oh...all of this wasnt to your post specifically, I was reading the first 3 pages of this thread and then I couldnt take it anymore and had to respond to some of the things that were being said and flat out misleading or nonsense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1