Jets want Jim Harbaugh

JetsFanatic

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

Harbaugh is a good coach but he is the wrong coach for a team with a young franchise QB. With Sam Darnold here this team needs to be built around him. That means that the offense should be aggressive with an extreme emphasis on throwing the ball.

Harbaugh is your classic ground and pound type of coach. He wants to win by running the ball 60% of the time and playing tough defense. This would be fine if we had a mediocre veteran QB like Alex Smith who isn't capable of carrying a team. Sam Darnold is going to be a franchise QB like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. It would be a massive mistake to stifle his creativity like a Harbaugh would do to him. We finally have the QB we have waited decades for and it would be incredibly stupid to not keep this in mind when hiring the next coach.

The key to the Jets success in the future is Darnold which is why I want a creative offensive mind to go along with our franchise QB. Give me Lincoln Riley or a good young assistant like Zac Taylor to go along with our franchise QB. Again Harbaugh is definitely a solid coach but he is not the guy to get the best out of a young gunslinger like Darnold.

Andrew Luck threw for 70 td passes in 2 years under Harbaugh. I’m sure he’d let sam sling it around the field 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nobody developed Luck, he is a generational talent. 

?

Andrew Luck gushes about Jim Harbaugh: 'He's a heck of a coach'

Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press Published 1:42 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2016
636088523658807759-USATSI-7451331-115794393-lowres.jpg

(Photo: Kyle Terada, USA TODAY Sports)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Jim Harbaugh has Michigan ranked in the top five for the first time in nearly a decade, and one of his former quarterbacks said today that he's "not surprised" in the least by the success of Harbaugh's new program.

"He's a heck of a coach," Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck said in a teleconference with Detroit reporters today. "He’s a winner. I know I learned a bunch from him. I feel like I grew as a player, as a man, a lot under him. Always happy for his success -- as long as they’re not playing Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Then I have to root for Stanford."

Harbaugh recruited Luck to Stanford and coached him for three seasons, helping to develop Luck into one of the best quarterback prospects of this generation.

With Harbaugh as his coach, Luck earned freshman All-America status in 2009 and was named the Pac-10 offensive player of the year a season later.

In 2011, Harbaugh left for the NFL, where he won back-to-back NFC West titles and led the San Francisco 49ers to three straight playoff appearances.

Harbaugh took over as Michigan coach before last season and led the Wolverines to a 10-3 record. This year, the Wolverines (1-0) are one of the favorites to win the Big Ten and are coming off of an impressive 63-3 win over Hawaii.

Luck, the first pick of the 2012 NFL draft, said he owes Harbaugh for helping him develop in every facet of the game.

"Competitive edge, how to play quarterback, and not just on-the-field stuff but the off-the-field sort of work description, in a sense, that a quarterback has," Luck said. "He’s a heck of a coach."

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Maybe Jim Harbaugh's agent wanted the Jets to be interested in Jim Harbaugh

Great to hear!

Things are looking great moving forward.  Changing things now would be foolish.

Stay the course and don't overreact to fans and media.

49 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So what's the money figure 10 mil per season. If you go into a deal like that the last one was to John Grudin. I wouldn't do it for him. Although the team would be better with him than with Todd for sure. And there is talent plus 100 mil in cap space for next season. 

Pay him what he wants.

It doesnt go against the cap, the team is worth billions,  and how much money would the Jets make if in 2 years they get 1 home playoff game?  How much more do they make selling out the stadium with the extra parking and concessions?

16 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I don't care that Harbaugh played the position. Look at the style of offense his team plays. He runs an extremely conservative offense which is not what a team with Sam Darnold needs to do to be most successful.

We can go back and forth on this all day but I doubt it matters because he isn't leaving Michigan for this franchise. Harbaugh is a good coach but not the right one with a franchise QB. He would be great for a team like Jacksonville who plays great defense and just needs a game manager at QB to succeed.

A statement from #JetsNYJets2018.png CEO Christopher Johnson: “Todd Bowles is our Head Coach. There is no truth to the report of our interest in Jim Harbaugh."

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Maybe Jim Harbaugh's agent wanted the Jets to be interested in Jim Harbaugh

It would only make sense to say this if he was told from Harbaughs people that he is 100% staying put in MI. 

Still hate the phrasing though..  he could have said he's not sure where the rumor started but Todd Bowles is the HC and our focus is on trying to win the game against the Patriots. 

1 hour ago, SpartanJet said:

Which will never happen.  He knows it.  scUM is a has been foortball power and most of their fans are walmart wolvies who have already turned on him.  The BIG10 can't compete with the southern football powers anyway except for Ohio State at times.

Believe me I am no fan of the Maise and Blue. They can't lose by enough on any given Saturday for me. I am speaking from their arrogant p.o.v and how they would look at the landscape. Living with an alumni gives me a look at this first hand. They view JH as the Man still and think he is going to lead them to the promised Land. You know like some view him around here.

7 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

The Johnsons are absolute idiots with every thing they do.

Why dont you just not say anything.

Smdh.

I don't agree.  If you really aren't going to have interest in Harbaugh, squash it now.

If you did/do have interest in him, but have already been told he's staying at Michigan, also say this.

Either scenario, it doesn't allow other candidates to leverage this against you when talking salary.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't agree.  If you really aren't going to have interest in Harbaugh, squash it now.

If you did/do have interest in him, but have already been told he's staying at Michigan, also say this.

Either scenario, it doesn't allow other candidates to leverage this against you when talking salary.

Or you dont play your hand at all and dont say anything...how is this not the best play?

But whatever, if he wants to look like an idiot in a week when they fire Bowles, thats on him.

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sure . Just because a guy had success elsewhere doesn't mean he'll work here . Look at Saban and his stint in the NFL. Or how about the much over rated Bill Parcells who only looked for can't lose situations and would bail when things got tough and the salary cap bills came due. 

Harbaugh and his abrasive attitude would be like Rex part two w/o being funny at times. He'll alienate players and then we'll be stuck with him for what 5-7 years.  He's had success but IMO is the absolute wrong fit for this team at this point. 

Rex was the embodiment of a players coach.  Totally opposite of what you are saying. You have many of your points all jumbled up. I can't believe you're still trying to make these arguments from last night.  It's cool that you don't want him, but the examples you are using and the conclusions you're drawing are kinda silly.  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You have no idea how much I agree with this, on every level. 

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but what would you say if Jets could trade back and land Fant in RD 1? Everyone is fixated on a #1 WR.  Two  #1 TEs would be an interesting alternative.

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Rex was the embodiment of a players coach.  Totally opposite of what you are saying. You have many of your points all jumbled up. I can't believe you're still trying to make these arguments from last night.  It's cool that you don't want him, but the examples you are using and the conclusions you're drawing are kinda silly.  

He's a hard ass who wants to run a ground and pound offense , sound like Rex a bit . I 'm sorry hard pass on Harbaugh. 

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Pay him what he wants.

It doesnt go against the cap, the team is worth billions,  and how much money would the Jets make if in 2 years they get 1 home playoff game?  How much more do they make selling out the stadium with the extra parking and concessions?

I wouldn't tie myself up with a coach for that kind of money and years. Look at Grudin and the Raiders. They have gone down. I do expect Harbaugh is better than Grudin and can direct the team to make better decisions. I mean Harbaugh has not been great at UMICH or done anything overly spectacular. 

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but what would you say if Jets could trade back and land Fant in RD 1? Everyone is fixated on a #1 WR.  Two  #1 TEs would be an interesting alternative.

zero sarcasm. A vacuum even...

Maybe my M.O. has begun to fade in recent years, but I'm the biggest Tight End table banger i know in this fan base. I wanted to run 12-personnel formations before NE made it popular... not that that makes me some kind of savant, but just reinforcing that I fell in love with the notion of having the 2 TE package (one Y and one joker/flex) a long time ago... If you remember the great Pettigrew infatuation -- We had Keller in the flex role, and i wanted Pettigrew bad, to be our Y. 

New England really did it right with Gronk and Hernandez -- and recently, PHI has been using it as their staple Offense, last year with Ertz and Burton, and with Burton gone, they drafted Dallas Boner-Pants Goedert to continue that success.

I want it. 

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is Hockenson draft eligible, If so I'd prefer him.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

zero sarcasm. A vacuum even...

Maybe my M.O. has begun to fade in recent years, but I'm the biggest Tight End table banger i know in this fan base. I wanted to run 12-personnel formations before NE made it popular... not that that makes me some kind of savant, but just reinforcing that I fell in love with the notion of having the 2 TE package (one Y and one joker/flex) a long time ago... If you remember the great Pettigrew infatuation -- We had Keller in the flex role, and i wanted Pettigrew bad, to be our Y. 

New England really did it right with Gronk and Hernandez -- and recently, PHI has been using it as their staple Offense, last year with Ertz and Burton, and with Burton gone, they drafted Dallas Boner-Pants Goedert to continue that success.

I want it. 

Im with you.  Fant and Hockenson killed people this year as a combo.  I think it's a very under appreciated way to build an offense. 

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What was the deal with Fant this year?  His production doesn’t match his ability IMO, and Hockenson outplayed him.  

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Is Hockenson draft eligible, If so I'd prefer him.

He is.  Hasn't declared his intentions yet though.  I tend to think he's leaving based on a few things, but won't be surprised either way.  He's also a player.  Very good.  More of your traditional TE where as Fant is more of a matchup weapon.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What was the deal with Fant this year?  His production doesn’t match his ability IMO, and Hockenson outplayed him.  

He was dinged a little bit.  It's a big discussion in Hawkeye country.   I personally think our offensive coaches just aren't creative enough to get him touches and mismatches.  They just plop him in their base offense and whatever comes comes. So when teams focus on him, Hockenson produces more because Fant is getting the more attention from opposing D.

That's my take at least.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He was dinged a little bit.  It's a big discussion in Hawkeye country.   I personally think our offensive coaches just aren't creative enough to get him touches and mismatches.  They just plop him in their base offense and whatever comes comes. So when teams focus on him, Hockenson produces more because Fant is getting the more attention from opposing D.

That's my take at least.

Fant wasn’t even good enough to start at Iowa. Overrated player.

Archived