Baker Mayfield is the "Obvious Rookie of the Year" Per BleacherReport

Warfish

Who is the 2018 Offensive Rookie of the Year?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your vote for 2018 Offensive Rookie of the Year?

• Baker Mayfield (QB)
    • Saquon Barkley (RB)
    • Sam Darnold (QB)
    • Josh Allen (QB)
    • Josh Rosen (QB)
    • Lamar Jackson (QB)
    • Nick Chubb (RB)
    • Calvin Ridley (WR)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812201-baker-mayfield-not-saquon-barkley-is-obvious-choice-for-nfl-rookie-of-the-year?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Thoughts?

Mayfield is currently 7-7-1 on a team that was 0-16 last year, and his stats to-date are:

Baker Mayfield:  287-for-444 (64.6%) for 3,349 Yards (7.5 YPA).  24 TD's.  11 INT's.  7 Fumbles.  131 Rushing Yards, 0 TD's.  Sacked 25 Times.  His record is 6-6.  Team is 7-7-1.  Team was 0-16 last year.

To put him into perspective vs. others:

Saquon Barkley:  244 carries for 1,198 Yards (4.9 YPC) and 10 TD's.  87 catches for 688 Yards and 4 TD's.  0 Fumbles.  Team is 5-10. Team was 3-13 last year.

Sam Darnold:  223-for-386 (57.8%) for 2,698 Yards (7.0 YPA).  17 TD's.  15 INT's (Leads NFL).  4 Fumbles.  110 Rushing Yards, 1 TD.  Sacked 26 Times.  His record is 4-8.  Team is 4-11.  Team was 5-11 last year.

Josh Allen:  152-for-294 (51.7%) for 1,850 Yards (6.3 YPA).  7 TD's.  11 INT's.  8 Fumbles.  536 Rushing Yards, 6 TD's.  Sacked 27 times.  His record is 4-6.  Team is 5-10.  Team was 9-7 last year.

Josh Rosen:  199-for-359 (55.4%) for 2,129 Yards (5.9 YPA).  10 TD.  14 INT.  8 Fumbles.  138 Rushing Yards, 0 TD's.  Sacked 39 times.  His record is 3-9.  Team is 3-12.  Team was 8-8 last year.

Lamar Jackson:  85-for-146 (58.2%) for 1,022 Yards (7.0 YPA).  6 TD's.  3 INT's.  10 Fumbles.  605 Rushing Yards, 3 TD's.  Sacked 14 times.  His record is 5-1.  Team is 9-6.  Team was 9-7 last year.

Beyond these guys, there really is no other contenders. 

Nick Chubb (RB) has 972 rushing yards and 8 TD's, 153 receiving yards and 2 TD's.  

Calvin Ridley (WR) has 789 receiving yards and 9 TD's.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with all that said and shown, do you agree with Bleacher Report?  Is it Mayfield?  Is it Barkley?  Or is it someone else?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Baker Mayfield is easily the rookie of the year.  

Barkley has been dreadful the past 2 weeks rushing the football.

Mayfield got my vote because he materially changed his team.  0-16 to 7-7-1 is a massive shift, and most of it is on Mayfields back.

Barkley, while an amazing performance, didn't really move the needle for his team at all.  They're just as sh*t now as they were before him.

That's my tie-breaker between the two.

I voted Barkley, guy is having a monster year, but the more I think about it, Mayfield deserves it more. Maybe not as great as a year but at a much more difficult position. The team record doesn’t influence my vote as much cause even though Cleveland was 0-16 last year most people felt they were trending upward. They have had a lot of high draft picks that are starting to pay divedens

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Barkley is great, but it is more of an accomplishment for someone like Mayfield to come into the NFL from college and play like he did, as opposed to what Barkley did.  

Michael Dickson has had more of an impact for the Seahawks than Barkley had for the Giants. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mayfield might be a top ten quarterback in the league right now.

When the wind is behind his back he stares down opposing coaches.  

Remember at halftime at the Rose Bowl last year, the biggest game of his life, when he had a nice lead going into the half? That's when he gestured a throat slit to Urban Meyer on the OSU sideline. 

In the second half, Mayfield threw for 50 yds and 2 picks and the Sooners lost. That is Baker Mayfield, he's a lot more like Cam Newton than Drew Brees. 

25 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Barkley is 3rd in the league in total yards from scrimmage.  Monster year.  

They’ll most likely give it to a QB because the value of the position is higher but Barkley is looking exactly as advertised. How are they losing like this with OBJ, Barkley, Sterling Shep, Engram?

Barkley. It’s not an MVP type vote. If it were most valuable rookie than yea Baker. 

This draft looks great at the top. I’m so glad the Jets didn’t bomb. It looks like we e scouted the QBs correctly. It sounds like we had Mayfield and Darnold 1/2 in some order that we will never know. But those two guys are the top two QBs. Mayfield is ahead of Darnold at the moment. But there’s obvious reasons to believe Darnold will catch up.

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Barkley. It’s not an MVP type vote. If it were most valuable rookie than yea Baker. 

This draft looks great at the top. I’m so glad the Jets didn’t bomb. It looks like we e scouted the QBs correctly. It sounds like we had Mayfield and Darnold 1/2 in some order that we will never know. But those two guys are the top two QBs. Mayfield is ahead of Darnold at the moment. But there’s obvious reasons to believe Darnold will catch up.

The ROTY award went to Dak instead of Elliot when they both broke out in their rookie seasons, no?

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If the Giants called the Browns and offered to trade them Barkley for Mayfield, what would the Browns say?

27 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Barkley in a photo finish.  If the season lasted 5 more weeks, Darnold would have won it!

And just now clicking! Well, at least we got to see some really encouraging signs going into the offseason. I think he’s definitely going to put it together next season if it stays the way it’s projecting to go.

I voted Mayfield. 

Not surprising to anyone. 

But he had, of all teams, the Cleveland Browns in playoff contention until week 16.  A team that won just 1 game the last two years combined before him. And if not for Hue keeping him on the bench in September and the refs stealing that win from Cleveland against the Raiders, the Browns could be playoff bound. That's pretty nuts when thinking about where this team was the prior 2 seasons.

And not to take away from Barkley's season. Dude was as advertised. Here's the difference between the two that made it a deciding factor for me. In the past we've seen rookie RB's being top 5 or even lead the league in rushing. This is something thats relatively common in the NFL today. What's not common? Watch a QB who didnt start  about the first month of games end the season as a top 10 QB. Given the importance of the position and how it directly imfluences the win/loss records of teams, Mayfield most definitely made the case for ROTY. If Barkley wins it, it's well deserved though. Dude is savage on the football field. 

Took Barkley, I love me some Baker but I'm more impressed with what Barkley is doing behind a Swiss cheese OL than I am with Baker and the plethora of top 5 picks. Think about this for a minute:

The Browns have technically added 3 of the top 6 players to come out of college the last 2 drafts.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty sure the Jets would reject that trade for Darnold also, therefore Darnold is the ROTY? 

Well played, but it was a trap I laid out regarding positional value and certifies, yet again, how bad a pick Jamal Adams was. Checkmate, motherf*cker, and Merry Christmas.

Archived