Baker Mayfield is the "Obvious Rookie of the Year" Per BleacherReport

Warfish

Who is the 2018 Offensive Rookie of the Year?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your vote for 2018 Offensive Rookie of the Year?

• Baker Mayfield (QB)
    • Saquon Barkley (RB)
    • Sam Darnold (QB)
    • Josh Allen (QB)
    • Josh Rosen (QB)
    • Lamar Jackson (QB)
    • Nick Chubb (RB)
    • Calvin Ridley (WR)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Which is why I give my vote to Barkley.

Jackson and Haley hated each other and made the franchise dysfunctional. Get rid of both of them and the Browns take off.

Plus as someone mentioned, Chubb has been great since being made the starting running back. That really helps Mayfield.

Barkley has a broken Manning chucking picks left right and centre and has an offensive line that can't block worth a damn.

Should be Barkley but it looks like he has hit the rookie wall the last couple of weeks and the media has the memory capacity of a gold fish so no doubt Mayfield wins.

If you are going to go all in and spend on a QB and you want him to be your guy for 12+ years...you want him to have the ability of the best of the best. You can’t make Ryan Tannehill your Franchise QB and actually be satisfied with saying that. 

Darnold has exactly what it takes to hang with the best of the best and so does Baker.

I would be so frustrated if our franchise QB didn’t have the highest ceiling that could be had. No one wants to just do decent - good. They want their FQB to be GREAT. Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Mahomes, Wentz, Luck, ect — that’s who you want.

not Bortles, Mariota, Winston, Tannehill and the list goes on.

I wholeheartedly think we got one of those.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Lol. You don't like Mayfield. It's cool. No need to be a prude. These guys do it all the time. If each of us had a buck for everytime someone in the NFL made a crotch move we would all be rich. Lighten up.

No 

On 12/24/2018 at 8:49 AM, Warfish said:

Mayfield got my vote because he materially changed his team.  0-16 to 7-7-1 is a massive shift, and most of it is on Mayfields back.

Barkley, while an amazing performance, didn't really move the needle for his team at all.  They're just as sh*t now as they were before him.

That's my tie-breaker between the two.

Amazing isn’t it?

After upgrading their offense at other positions: Solder over Flowers at LT; Beckham not missing 80% of the season (a multi-game upgrade in itself); plus Shepherd playing another handful of games as well? 

Those 3 key changes AND this monster season from Barkley has so far meant a 5-win season instead of a 3-win season. 

Barkley is having the superior individual season. Mayfield is having the bigger effect on his team.

It’s why you take a FQB when you have the chance to get one and don’t get cute about draft grade value. As a bonus you can ride a good one for a decade & a half (maybe more) as their starting careers are 2-3x longer than RBs’ careers. You’d think a team that went all-in on its FQB en route to a pair of fairly recent SB wins would realize this.

Mayfield has feasted on teams like Cin, Car, and Atlanta and has looked bad against teams like Balt., Pit, and Houston. 

He hasn't  proven anything except he can do good on a team that had nowhere to go but up. 

Barkley has looked stunning on a team that will be entering a rebuild. It has to be Barkley

Surprised so few went for Lamar Jackson. He's been terrific.

Baker is lucky he is in Cleveland. I have no concerns on his talent, but his antics would be a disaster in NY. Would be a huge distraction, imho, that would become an obstacle to fulfilling his potential. 

On 12/24/2018 at 9:10 AM, T0mShane said:

If the Giants called the Browns and offered to trade them Barkley for Mayfield, what would the Browns say?

Thankfully I saw this before posting. I was going to say the same thing.?That said, Barkley has had a great season. As much of a Mayfield fan as I am, my first thought is to go Barkley. The argument that it’s not a MVP award, simply a rookie one is an interesting one, with merit. But I agree, no way the Browns trade Mayfield for anyone. Not only has he performed at a high level, he’s brought a swag that is transforming the “culture” for the team and fan base.  He’s the guy opposing fans hate, his fans love, and his teammates would run thru a wall for him. One of the Bengals took a shot at him Sunday, and every Brown on the field went after him.

I just had this discussion with somebody last night.

I love Mayfield.  I think he's going to be a truly special player.  I just have to give the nod to Barkley though.  He's an insanely talented guy.  14 total TDs, almost 5 yards per carry, behind an awful line, on an awful team.  I get the "RB has no value" argument, but wins and losses don't overshadow the talent.  He's playing like an All-Pro RB in his first season and has totally lived up to the hype.  Very few players do that.  It's funny, because people were outraged that he was listed as one of the best Running Backs in football before he'd even stepped on the field.  Well, he might be the best one right now.

Honestly, I wish they had a rookie "MVP" award on top of the Offensive and Defensive awards.  Baker would get my vote for that one.

19 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Jackson was clearly the problem with the Browns and then went to a division rival after he was fired. That would be like Bowles getting fired and becoming a special consultant with the Patriots. Not cool. An act of betrayal is the worst thing you can do. Jackson got what he deserved.

Again, love Mayfield, but, no.  The sh*t he's pulled over Jackson is wrong and absolutely ridiculous.  The Browns fired him, mid-season no less.  Hue's next paycheck and how he feeds his family is none of Baker's concern.  It's f*cking football and Baker is so assmad at Jackson, it's as if the guy knocked up his fiancé.  Grow up and get over it.  If Bowles was New England's next DC, I wouldn't care.  I don't want him here, so why would I get upset about it?

The kid better learn at some point or it's going to get really ugly for him.  Ask Cam Newton.  Everyone loves the eccentric player when things are looking up.  When there are expectations and you fall short?  Not so much.  Again, I love the kid and think the world of him as a player, but there are going to be setbacks and hiccups throughout his career.  No one avoids them.   He just needs to grow up a bit.  This isn't OU.  It's not College.  These are grown men that you're playing with and they're looking to you to be a leader.  Getting into a feud with a 53 year old man who, for all his flaws, banged the table for you as an unconventional selection at #1 overall, because you didn't like him only taking the one job offer he had because it was from a divisional opponent that he had a great relationship before he came to Cleveland, is over the top. It's not what he should be concerned with.  Did any Bengals players do anything similar when Hue left Cincinnati to go take the Head Coaching job of a divisional opponent?

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Again, love Mayfield, but, no.  The sh*t he's pulled over Jackson is wrong and absolutely childish.  The Browns fired him.  Hue's next paycheck and how he feeds his family is non of Baker's concern.  It's f*cking football and Baker is assmad at Jackson as if the guy knocked up his fiancé.  Grow up and get over it.  If Bowles was NE's next DC, I wouldn't care.  I don't want him here so why would I get upset about it?

The kid better learn at some point or it's going to get really ugly.  There are going to be setbacks and hiccups throughout his career.  No one avoids them. 

Assmad. Great word. 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Again, love Mayfield, but, no.  The sh*t he's pulled over Jackson is wrong and absolutely childish.  The Browns fired him.  Hue's next paycheck and how he feeds his family is non of Baker's concern.  It's f*cking football and Baker is assmad at Jackson as if the guy knocked up his fiancé.  Grow up and get over it.  If Bowles was NE's next DC, I wouldn't care.  I don't want him here so why would I get upset about it?

The kid better learn at some point or it's going to get really ugly.  There are going to be setbacks and hiccups throughout his career.  No one avoids them. 

You got this one exactly correct. For some reason, a lot of Pittsburgh and Ohioans relocate to my area. In order to watch the Jets on Sunday I have to go to one of two local sports bars. Im pretty clued in with this, since I usually choose the Browns bar over the Steelers one, because the Pitt fans are so obnoxious. As much as the Brown fans are happy to be without Jackson, even they feel Mayfield piles on the ex coach too much. In fairness, Hue took a few shots at him when he was fired, but Mayfield just won’t back off.

21 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Which is why I give my vote to Barkley.

Jackson and Haley hated each other and made the franchise dysfunctional. Get rid of both of them and the Browns take off.

Plus as someone mentioned, Chubb has been great since being made the starting running back. That really helps Mayfield.

Barkley has a broken Manning chucking picks left right and centre and has an offensive line that can't block worth a damn.

Should be Barkley but it looks like he has hit the rookie wall the last couple of weeks and the media has the memory capacity of a gold fish so no doubt Mayfield wins.

This makes no sense. Todd Haley was a steeler when the Browns went 1-31. Haley's first season with the Browns was this year. He wasnt even around for the dysfunction. And before Hue was the coach the organization was still dysfunctional. You make it sound like that dysfunction was for 1 month of Browns regular season history because Hue and Todd couldnt get along. You voted for Barkley for other reasons, but it surely wasnt because of this one. 

Also, if you want to be ROTY, you shouldnt hit rookie walls, as you state it looks like he's done. Why should it be Barkley if you just admitted that he's hit a wall? Just like you claim media has memory capacity of a gold fish, it sounds like you are quick to dismiss rookie walls for past success which is pretty suspect, especially when that rookie wall is in the December stretch while Mayfield had the Browns in playoff contention until week 16 and is 5-2 in his last 7 games heading into week 17. 

How doest that not count? Because he has Nick Chubb? Yeah, Chubb is indeed playing great, and it does help out Mayfield when it comes to keeping the offense on schedule. But if that's your position then once again Barkley fails because by your own words his QB looks like crap. Why isnt Manning looking better because of Barkley?

Now for the record  that's a trick question because if Manning will look bad no matter if he had Barkley, then it can also be said that Mayfield would look just as good no matter if Chubb was the RB. The fact that both Barkley and Chubb are playing great but Manning looks like crap yet Mayfield is playing great proves that you cant directly attach QB success...excuse me, Mayfield's success to Nick Chubb. It's clearly a biased position.

Tons of biasness and misinfo in those paragraphs of yours. 

Barkley should be nominated, and if he wins it will be well deserved, but what you wrote made no sense at all.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You got this one exactly correct. For some reason, a lot of Pittsburgh and Ohioans relocate to my area. In order to watch the Jets on Sunday I have to go to one of two local sports bars. Im pretty clued in with this, since I usually choose the Browns bar over the Steelers one, because the Pitt fans are so obnoxious. As much as the Brown fans are happy to be without Jackson, even they feel Mayfield piles on the ex coach too much. In fairness, Hue took a few shots at him when he was fired, but Mayfield just won’t back off.

Agree that Mayfield went one step beyond.  But, I have no sympathy for Jackson.  There was literally no one that he wasn't willing to throw under the bus to save his job, and then he went on a post-firing publicity tour to explain how he was blameless for the Browns' situation. 

After the first game with the Bengals, what Mayfield said about Jackson was tame compared to what Browns' fans had been saying for more than a year.  But, this past Sunday, Mayfield took it too far.  Enough is enough.  Move on.

Mayfield has been brilliant, but to say he is the sole reason for the Brown's uptick......he was pretty ordinary until Jackson was sacked. The Browns improvement in form had more to do with the monumental awfulness of Hue Jackson than Mayfield. 

He's still been superb and would be a worthy winner of RotY

47 minutes ago, morny said:

Mayfield has been brilliant, but to say he is the sole reason for the Brown's uptick......he was pretty ordinary until Jackson was sacked. The Browns improvement in form had more to do with the monumental awfulness of Hue Jackson than Mayfield. 

He's still been superb and would be a worthy winner of RotY

It just goes to show how a poor coach can affect a good players ability to excel.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Again, love Mayfield, but, no.  The sh*t he's pulled over Jackson is wrong and absolutely ridiculous.  The Browns fired him, mid-season no less.  Hue's next paycheck and how he feeds his family is none of Baker's concern.  It's f*cking football and Baker is so assmad at Jackson, it's as if the guy knocked up his fiancé.  Grow up and get over it.  If Bowles was New England's next DC, I wouldn't care.  I don't want him here, so why would I get upset about it?

The kid better learn at some point or it's going to get really ugly for him.  Ask Cam Newton.  Everyone loves the eccentric player when things are looking up.  When there are expectations and you fall short?  Not so much.  Again, I love the kid and think the world of him as a player, but there are going to be setbacks and hiccups throughout his career.  No one avoids them.   He just needs to grow up a bit.  This isn't OU.  It's not College.  These are grown men that you're playing with and they're looking to you to be a leader.  Getting into a feud with a 53 year old man who, for all his flaws, banged the table for you as an unconventional selection at #1 overall, because you didn't like him only taking the one job offer he had because it was from a divisional opponent that he had a great relationship before he came to Cleveland, is over the top. It's not what he should be concerned with.  Did any Bengals players do anything similar when Hue left Cincinnati to go take the Head Coaching job of a divisional opponent?

What can I say? I disagree. Not a fan of Hue Jackson and his piss poor record. The man should have been fired ages ago. He has no business on the sidelines of any team.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

What can I say? I disagree. Not a fan of Hue Jackson and his piss poor record. The man should have been fired ages ago. He has no business on the sidelines of any team.

To each their own.  If Bowles went to NE next year, after being fired, and Darnold did something like that to him, I would hope, even want, someone on the sideline to smack him across the mouth and ask him "what the f*ck are you doing?"

Hue is a bad Head Coach.  He still is, probably, a good man, has a family to take care of and, again, that is none of Baker's business.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

To each their own.  If Bowles went to NE next year, after being fired, and Darnold did something like that to him, I would hope, even want, someone on the sideline to smack him across the mouth and ask him "what the f*ck are you doing?"

Hue is a bad Head Coach.  He still is, probably, a good man, has a family to take care of and, again, that is none of Baker's business.

Agree to disagree.

I am not a Baker Mayfield hater, he was my #2 choice for QB. The guy is a winner. But, I feel I may have underestimated the degree to which he is a $hit-stirrer. I fear that with millions of dollars in the bank and a long off-season, he will inevitably find himself in a bad situation which he will, by his attitude and reaction, escalate into an even worse situation. For lack of a better description, he's like Vontaze Burfict-lite -- all the attitude, sans the violence.    

On 12/24/2018 at 10:27 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Mayfield is just am epic douchebag. Whats with the punk ass stare down of Hue Jackson? LOL. The guy got FIRED. He took the next job, Hillbilly. Get over it.

I would love to see somebody earhole that **** into the Ambulance......and I don't even like Hue Jackson. The kid is just such an unlikeable Punk. Got something to say to Hue? Act like a man and say it to his face, you midget bitch. Not in the media or on the field where youre protected. 

Bitch ass wanna be tough guy millenial.

Rant over.

We're always talking about how f'ing soft this NFL generation is and how these guys have no personality because the NFL has become soft and politically correct. We've obviously seen 90's NFL. This isnt millenial antics. 

We were both around when Deion Sanders was facing his old Atlanta Falcon team, got into a fight with Andre Rison and a few plays later picked off a pass, ran it back 90 yards for the TD. But as he's running this back for a Pick 6,  he's staring down the ENTIRE Falcons bench. 

Today you'll get ejected for hard hits, let alone fights, and now staring down a coach as you sweep his team now makes you a punk ass millenial while 20 years ago it would make you an instant legend and placed on Sport Center. 

Maybe the fans grown soft. 

We need this type of football and players back. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We're always talking about how f'ing soft this NFL generation is and how these guys have no personality because the NFL has become soft and politically correct. We've obviously seen 90's NFL. This isnt millenial antics. 

We were both around when Deion Sanders was facing his old Atlanta Falcon team, got into a fight with Andre Rison and a few plays later picked off a pass, ran it back 90 yards for the TD. But as he's running this back for a Pick 6,  he's staring down the ENTIRE Falcons bench. 

Today you'll get ejected for hard hits, let alone fights, and now staring down a coach as you sweep his team now makes you a punk ass millenial while 20 years ago it would make you an instant legend and placed on Sport Center. 

Maybe the fans grown soft. 

We need this type of football and players back. 

Andre Rison talked sh*t about Deion when he left. The whole Falcons team talked sh*t about Deion. So.he punked them. And Deion was already a two sport superstar. 

Hue Jackson got fired by his team. Was offered a job by his former employer. And Baker goes full hillbilly retard but isn't man enough to directly confront the guy (like Deion did), and won't say why or what the problem is. He had some incoherent thought about Hue "quitting" or something because hes apparently to stupid to get the difference between "quit" and FIRED. And now he just acts out for the cameras. Like the phony he is. Because hes a punk. 

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Andre Rison talked sh*t about Deion when he left. The whole Falcons team talked sh*t about Deion. So.he punked them. And Deion was already a two sport superstar. 

Hue Jackson got fired by his team. Was offered a job by his former employer. And Baker goes full hillbilly retard but isn't man enough to directly confront the guy (like Deion did), and won't say why or what the problem is. He just acts out for the cameras. Like the phony he is. Because hes a punk. 

Hue did the same thing essentially. A few people even mentioned it in this thread. Not that this fact would make much of a difference given that this is about "respecter of persons". You respect Deion, so you excuse his antics which were the exact same. You dont respect Mayfield, which is why you called it being a punk ass millenial when it's clearly not a millenial move. 

Tons of players have stared down players, coaches and in Deion's case, entire sidelines. 

I was just clarifying that this isnt anything new, not trying to change your view on Mayfield, you're entitled to that. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hue did the same thing essentially. A few people even mentioned it in this thread. Not that this fact would make much of a difference given that this is about "respecter of persons". You respect Deion, so you excuse his antics which were the exact same. You dont respect Mayfield, which is why you called it being a punk ass millenial when it's clearly not a millenial move. 

Tons of players have stared down players, coaches and in Deion's case, entire sidelines. 

I was just clarifying that his isnt anything new, not trying to change your view on Mayfield, you're entitled to that. 

Yes, I do respect Deion, and I don't respect Mayfield. That is true. But I must have missed the part where Hue said anything disparaging of Baker. Whatever. I think hes a massive tool. He has a long way to go to learning how to be a professional and the type of guy you want as the face of the franchise. I honestly see a lot of Jeff George in Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes, I do respect Deion, and I don't respect Mayfield. That is true. But I must have missed the part where Hue said anything disparaging of Baker. Whatever. I think hes a massive tool. He has a long way to go to learning how to be a professional and the type of guy you want as the face of the franchise. I honestly see a lot of Jeff George in Mayfield. 

Well that's true. He's 23 years old. He's going in the right direction though. He'll get punched in the face a couple times by other teams and with experience he'll learn not to make a big deal out of everything, but doing that is what's got him to the league. He'll learn what it takes to stay. 

Jeff George wasnt a bad QB, just a different era. You put Jeff George in this era where you cant even breathe on the QB, and with that cannon....

He'd go down as one of the greats. Jeff George also has history with taunting players, coaches and fans! Ironic you made the comparison. lol. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah maybe I missed Hue starting it, too. Hard to find at this point; if you Google their names it's all stuff originating from Mayfield's direction towards Hue since he's by far the more colorful character. Maybe there's stuff the other way, but I'm really not invested enough to take the time to read a bunch of articles to find one in which it's buried, lol.

That said, if Hue did start it he can't then expect sympathy when someone else finishes it (certainly not when that someone was the object of Hue's public ire). 

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah maybe I missed Hue starting it, too. Hard to find at this point; if you Google their names it's all stuff originating from Mayfield's direction towards Hue since he's by far the more colorful character. Maybe there's stuff the other way, but I'm really not invested enough to take the time to read a bunch of articles to find one in which it's buried, lol.

That said, if Hue did start it he can't then expect sympathy when someone else finishes it (certainly not when that someone was the object of Hue's public ire). 

This is the firs post you have ever made that fits on my iPhone in its entirety without me having to scroll to see it. You are getting soft!

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Jeff George wasnt a bad QB, just a different era. You put Jeff George in this era where you cant even breathe on the QB, and with that cannon....

He'd go down as one of the greats. Jeff George also has history with taunting players, coaches and fans! Ironic you made the comparison. lol. 

Jeff George was the poster child of why head case QB's never win anything. 

He had every God-given physical gift, including a literal bazooka for an arm........except he was missing that vital space between his ears.

I would not compare the guy who famously said (parphrasing) "that leadership stuff is over-rated" with a leader of men like Baker Mayfield.  Mayfield may in fact be a douche, but he also knows how vital it is to be THE leader, not just A leader.

Archived