Underestimation of offensive talent

UnitedWhofans

For the whole year, I have put blame on Maccagnan for the lack of offensive talent on this team. The defense, well we know where the lion share of the blame goes there.

But now I'm starting to wonder if this team is set up better offensively than originally thought. Herndon has come along nicely and seems to fill the TE void that the Jets have had forever. McGuire has come along and seems to fill the role that Powell played in terms of the secondary back. And Anderson, with Darnold, has come along to be a quality receiver.

Now the Jets still need a top RB and a top WR (Anderson's a 2 at best). But perhaps this offense is not as bad as I previously thought

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have a solid group of young guys who can grow with Darnold.

Anderson and Herndon are legit pieces to move forward with. I also like Enunwa in the slot going forward. I'd resign both Anderson and Enunwa.

The Jets need to go out and get another receiver who can play opposite of Robby Anderson on the outside. Preferably a big, strong possession type of guy. They need to rebuild the offensive line, something that Macc has neglected to really address since he took over, and they have to go out and get an explosive RB who can be a home run threat out of the backfield.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

For the whole year, I have put blame on Maccagnan for the lack of offensive talent on this team. The defense, well we know where the lion share of the blame goes there.

But now I'm starting to wonder if this team is set up better offensively than originally thought. Herndon has come along nicely and seems to fill the TE void that the Jets have had forever. McGuire has come along and seems to fill the role that Powell played in terms of the secondary back. And Anderson, with Darnold, has come along to be a quality receiver.

Now the Jets still need a top RB and a top WR (Anderson's a 2 at best). But perhaps this offense is not as bad as I previously thought

I think Darnold has made the offense look better than it is the last few weeks and at certain points earlier in the year too.  THAT is the sign of a very good QB - the ability to elevate the play of the players around you.  I think Herndon is developing nicely and Anderson can be a good #2, but I still do think the Jets need more playmakers at WR, and significant upgrades to the OL and RB positions.

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think Darnold has made the offense look better than it is the last few weeks and at certain points earlier in the year too.  THAT is the sign of a very good QB - the ability to elevate the play of the players around you.  I think Herndon is developing nicely and Anderson can be a good #2, but I still do think the Jets need more playmakers at WR, and significant upgrades to the OL and RB positions.

I agree. It's an unfinished product. But it looks better than it did, probably thanks to Darnold. 

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No. Because we haven’t had above average nfl offense in decades, your mind is playing tricks on you. Sure it’s not terrible, and you can point out 2-3. Above average players. But come on, every team can. Stack our O against the rest of nfl and we are the bottom dwellers.. We have the most important piece now, but by no means is this a acceptable offense..

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Just because the offense played well yesterday does not mean the offense isnt bad.  

We have no rb, no #1 wr and holes on the oline.

This.

I dont get the love affair that people have with Elijah Mcguire.  He should be no higher 3rd on our RB depth chart going into next season.  He has shown that he can be a decent receiver out of the backfield, but he is averaging 3.3 yards per carry this season, that is bad.  His last 3 games, since Crowell went down he is averaging 2.8, that is worse..  He has had a couple of nice runs here and there, made some play sout of the backfield, but we still need to upgrade the RB position, even if Crowell is back.

The only weapons we have heading into next season are Robby and Herndon.  Herndon looks to be legit and Robby has shown he can be a more complete receiver than I thought earlier in the season.  I like Quincy, but he needs to be able to prove he can stay on the field.  Beyond that we have rookies, jags and special teamers.  Most of who are not under contract for 2019 anyway.

And we can afford to upgrade just about every position on the OL.  Darnold looks really good these last few weeks, but we can't ask him to carry a below average/mediocre offense iin his second season.

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Just because the offense played well yesterday does not mean the offense isnt bad.  

We have no rb, no #1 wr and holes on the oline.

You don't really  need a #1WR in the NFL. Plenty of elite #1 WRs have zero Super Bowls. And plenty of teams with really solid WR groups (without an elite WR) win Super Bowls. With Anderson/Herndon/Enunwa and 1 more really solid WR added in the offseason Darnold will have plenty of weapons. 

I agree that we could use a better RB. I like Mcguire, but he is more of a solid backup. Cannon is more of a 3rd down back. 

The Oline is where I am most concerned and would love for the Jets to draft 1 at the top of the 1st round. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Need a big, physical wide receiver that creates space. It is not Enunwa

Agreed, but that doesn't have to be an elite #1WR. It can be an Alshon Jeffrey type. 

Either way, there are no high end WRs available in free agency and unless Mike Evans or AJ Green suddenly become available our only chance is to find one in the draft.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed, but that doesn't have to be an elite #1WR. It can be an Alshon Jeffrey type. 

Either way, there are no high end WRs available in free agency and unless Mike Evans or AJ Green suddenly become available our only chance is to find one in the draft.

I have seen Golden Tate mentioned on this board, and not him

32 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What about OL?  

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have seen Golden Tate mentioned on this board, and not him

Tate  happens to be really really good slot WR and if Enunwa can't stay healthy adding Tate wouldn't be a bad thing. 

It's a really weak WR FA class so outside of getting Tate we could only address WR via a trade or the draft and any WR we draft will take time to develop. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You don't really  need a #1WR in the NFL. Plenty of elite #1 WRs have zero Super Bowls. And plenty of teams with really solid WR groups (without an elite WR) win Super Bowls. With Anderson/Herndon/Enunwa and 1 more really solid WR added in the offseason Darnold will have plenty of weapons. 

I agree that we could use a better RB. I like Mcguire, but he is more of a solid backup. Cannon is more of a 3rd down back. 

The Oline is where I am most concerned and would love for the Jets to draft 1 at the top of the 1st round. 

Only if the guy is a SLAM DUNK starting left tackle. Screw this we'll play him at RT until we know he can play LT stuff! I think plug & play free agent lineman is the way to go & draft an Olineman with 1 of our 3rds. 

With just a 10/20% improvement in the Oline, Sam has proven with more experience & better offensive coaching his skill set can help the Oline out. 

I say we raid the Patriots, and steal Trent Brown if the Pats get cheap & don't resign him (I mentioned this before, the Pats drafted a LT in the 1st last year (Wynn), so they may be reluctant to resign Brown). You'll get a good look at Brown next week. 

Then sign target Paradis to sure up the center spot. Brown is definitely an upgrade over Beachum. Slide Beachum to RT while Shell is recuperating (hopefully Shell is healthy at the start of next year). Then draft BCA in the 3rd, hopefully a tough guy that can push Long or Winters at Guard.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Tate  happens to be really really good slot WR and if Enunwa can't stay healthy adding Tate wouldn't be a bad thing. 

It's a really weak WR FA class so outside of getting Tate we could only address WR via a trade or the draft and any WR we draft will take time to develop. 

And, the Jets do not need a slot WR. They need a hulking big body that Darnold can back shoulder and out leap on 50/50's. Darnold can throw sideline patterns like it is no one's business, and it would give him a huge weapon. 

i consider that a MUCH more important add than a slot.

Offensive talent stinks.

Darnold is def. the real deal

Anderson is solid - seems to be getting better which is great to see

Herndon - really hasn't shown me as much as people are making him out to be - seems solid but not explosive enough to be a legit threat.  Good enough that we don't need to worry about that position but, IMO, not a top-tier TE.

O-line, below average

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

And, the Jets do not need a slot WR. They need a hulking big body that Darnold can back shoulder and out leap on 50/50's. Darnold can throw sideline patterns like it is no one's business, and it would give him a huge weapon. 

i consider that a MUCH more important add than a slot.

Hey, crazy thought, but por que no los dos? 

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is a good thread for the people I kept telling they were wrong about Robby being a "one trick pony" to admit it....

Agreed and I EAT CROW but 1 decent game does not make up for his career here. 

Do it consistently week after week then he might considered an elite WR in the NFL. 

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.

I dont get the love affair that people have with Elijah Mcguire.  He should be no higher 3rd on our RB depth chart going into next season.  He has shown that he can be a decent receiver out of the backfield, but he is averaging 3.3 yards per carry this season, that is bad.  His last 3 games, since Crowell went down he is averaging 2.8, that is worse..  He has had a couple of nice runs here and there, made some play sout of the backfield, but we still need to upgrade the RB position, even if Crowell is back.

The only weapons we have heading into next season are Robby and Herndon.  Herndon looks to be legit and Robby has shown he can be a more complete receiver than I thought earlier in the season.  I like Quincy, but he needs to be able to prove he can stay on the field.  Beyond that we have rookies, jags and special teamers.  Most of who are not under contract for 2019 anyway.

And we can afford to upgrade just about every position on the OL.  Darnold looks really good these last few weeks, but we can't ask him to carry a below average/mediocre offense iin his second season.

Yep

And Enunwa shouldn’t even be a lock to be back.

The Jets should tender Anderson with a 2nd, sign two receivers and draft another one within the first 4 rounds.

Either re-sign Enunwa to a 1 year “prove it” deal and add a slot guy like Humphries, or just let Enunwa walk and bring in Humphries along with an outside guy like Tyrell Williams or Devante Parker if the Dolphins cut him loose.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Agreed and I EAT CROW but 1 decent game does not make up for his career here. 

Do it consistently week after week then he might considered an elite WR in the NFL. 

The Jets do not need him to be elite. They need him to be a solid #2, which he can be with the proper #1. Look at what Brown does for Smith-Schuster. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets do not need him to be elite. They need him to be a solid #2, which he can be with the proper #1. Look at what Brown does for Smith-Schuster. 

Robbie Anderson is nowhere near the talent level Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster is STOP no matter who are #1 is. 

Archived