Jump to content

Bowles being reviewed by League for possible fine following officiating comments


jetstream23

Recommended Posts

Per NFLN.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001004036/article/todd-bowles-criticism-of-refs-being-reviewed-by-nfl

 

Quote

Following the New York Jets' 44-38 overtime loss to the Green Bay Packers, Todd Bowles broke from his normally stoic self to rip the officials. 

"I thought we were playing two teams," Bowles said, via ESPN. "I thought we were playing the Packersand the striped shirts." 

He added: "I felt it was a bad call, as I did quite a few other calls. It was one of those games. I haven't seen one in my 18, 19 years in the league."

The Jets were flagged 16 times for 172 yards, including a questionable call on a 33-yard pass interference on corner Trumaine Johnson that set up the Packers' game-winning score. 

On Monday morning, Bowles stood by his criticism. 

"I said what I said and I meant everything I said. All has been said, so I'm done with it," he said. 

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the league is reviewing Bowles' comments for a possible fine. 

Bowles saw a fine coming on Sunday when he made his uncharacteristic comments. 

"I'm sure I'm getting fined already, so I care not to say more, but something has to be done about that. That's ridiculous," he said. 

Bowles is likely coaching his final game in charge of the Jets, so his frustration is compounded this holiday season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing Bowles has done in years that I agree with. F the NFL for investigating and considering fining him. The refs are beyond reproach? F these losers. They have zero accountability. If my employees sucked as badly (or as suspiciously) as these fools do, they'd be spending Christmas on the street.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The league knows he is going to get canned so they will wait a week to decide and then not fine him once he has been fired.

And in truth he should not get fined.  He has never beefed much about refs and any  sane person watching the game would see we got the shaft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Todd Bowles should have showed more emotion along time ago.

Tru Johnson's pass interference was a stupid play by Tru but should have been called.

The two point conversion that was intercepted and returned was a garbage call that cost the game.

I didn't watch the replays, those are my hot takes from the live action lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JetPotato said:

First thing Bowles has done in years that I agree with. F the NFL for investigating and considering fining him. The refs are beyond reproach? F these losers. They have zero accountability. If my employees sucked as badly (or as suspiciously) as these fools do, they'd be spending Christmas on the street.

Come on you know darn well Burger King wouldn't allow you to do that. :rl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

Merry Christmas. Sorry. But this put me in a pissed off mood for a few minutes. I used to love this game. But the league office and the officiating have completely destroyed it.

I agree and seriously just kidding no harm meant. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. 

Coming soon a joyous holiday season when our beloved NY Jets will dominate the NFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if they are going to have so many penalties called, they have to scale back the punishments a bit. 

1. DPI should go to the college rule where it's 15-20 yards and not a spot foul, unless under that yardage

2. Defensive holding should not be an automatic first down.

3. Offensive holding should be a 5 yard penalty instead of a 10 yard penalty

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I was watching the game yesterday with my son, who is now fully invested and understanding this team and game for the first time, it occurred to me how difficult it is for me to enjoy it with him the way that I once envisioned. I am so used to the horrendous calls that I am completely numb and apathetic to it. The only enjoyment in the games is Darnold. My son is jumping out of his seat in outrage with every bad call the exact same way I used to. Now I just sit there, quietly unsurprised and unaffected. I expect it. I know the scripts. If a team like the Jets rise to the occasion and outperform expectation, threatening to disrupt the league-desired story, there is a measure of intervention thrown in. It's obvious. It's undeniable. It's tiresome. They have robbed all the joy of this sport. I hope my son figures it out soon. I can't bring myself to tell him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think if they are going to have so many penalties called, they have to scale back the punishments a bit. 

1. DPI should go to the college rule where it's 15-20 yards and not a spot foul, unless under that yardage

2. Defensive holding should not be an automatic first down.

3. Offensive holding should be a 5 yard penalty instead of a 10 yard penalty

 

I like this post a lot. I see only two solutions:

1. You can keep the yardage peanalties as is if you scale down the occurrence of which they are called.

2. If the penalty's are going to be called so gratuitously you absolutely have to scale back the yardage awarded.

The NFL needs to pick one and fix this mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ruby2 said:

I like this post a lot.

You can keep the rules as is if you scale down the occurrence of which they are called.

If the penalty's are going to be called so gratuitously you absolutely have to scale back the yardage awarded.

The consequences are too great at this point. They are determining games. And that should not be the intent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The quality of officiating in the league is at an all-time low.  Not only are there too many defensive holding and PI calls, but the defensive holding and PI rules are not applied consistently.  

If anything, the crew that did that game should be fined. 

Btw, the officiating in the Texans game was also awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

As I was watching the game yesterday with my son, who is now fully invested and understanding this team and game for the first time, it occurred to me how difficult it is for me to enjoy it with him the way that I once envisioned. I am so used to the horrendous calls that I am completely numb and apathetic to it. The only enjoyment in the games is Darnold. My son is jumping out of his seat in outrage with every bad call the exact same way I used to. Now I just sit there, quietly unsurprised and unaffected. I expect it. I know the scripts. If a team like the Jets rise to the occasion and outperform expectation, threatening to disrupt the league-desired story, there is a measure of intervention thrown in. It's obvious. It's undeniable. It's tiresome. They have robbed all the joy of this sport. I hope my son figures it out soon. I can't bring myself to tell him.

a) he wouldn't believe you.

b) it's something in human nature. you have to beat the bully before you can not be considered a victim.

c) you have to put yourself into the situation for the refs to be a factor: stupid penalties, getting kicked out of a game, it's really just being in those positions that lets the refs make the subliminal decisions to make calls that benefit the bully.

I won't miss the silly penalties and bonehead plays that this team always makes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any lay person watching that game with no interest in the winner but getting caught up in the underdog might win scenario would have to come to no conclusion other than the NY Jets had no chance to win that game & the refs were going to make sure the outcome was predetermined! It was THAT BAD! Sure there was some grabbing in the end zone, it HAPPENS IN EVERY GAME I WATCH, the difference is they don’t call EVERYONE OF THEM!

Pats hold all the time, refs don’t call everyone of them. Yesterday was a disgrace to the NFL & the home team fans!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rewatched the game last night - there were a few questionable calls, but Skrine is always getting flagged because he looks for the ball. I thought the Cannon penalty and the other helpless call were bogus - also when Sam was sacked the guy hit him and fell on top of him - had that happened to Brady the would have shot the defender on the spot. I also thought the Packers were a bit dirty - hitting people out of bounds, etc.

That being said, we didn't get any home cooking, but really did the officials decide to sit on the 15 point lead and play prevent defense and offense? Did the officials make 41 constantly not turn his head around?

Actually, I thought that Leo had a pretty good game before getting tossed (never throw a punch or retaliate, but he played with energy all game). That may have been some of the difference. Either way, the Jets had this game won and bad coaching and chicken sh*t play calling cost us the game. Hopefully, it cost Bowles his job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

I like this post a lot. I see only two solutions:

1. You can keep the yardage peanalties as is if you scale down the occurrence of which they are called.

2. If the penalty's are going to be called so gratuitously you absolutely have to scale back the yardage awarded.

The NFL needs to pick one and fix this mess.

Anothe thing that i hate is when a defensive back gets flagged for a 50 yard PI call and the pass was way out of bounds and uncatchable.  When the pass sails out of the end zone, you can’t give the offense the ball at the 1 just b/c of a bit of contact.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The quality of officiating in the league is at an all-time low.  Not only are there too many defensive holding and PI calls, but the defensive holding and PI rules are not applied consistently 

If anything, the crew that did that game should be fined. 

Btw, the officiating in the Texans game was also awful. 

That's the issue really.  If you look at the letter of the law - you could call PI on almost every contested pass play. Offensive holding is much the same way...

Jets receivers we're getting mauled - well at least worse than the Jets were giving back and didn't get the same calls..

It's up to the refs to try and keep the calls consistent - and try not to allow tacky-tac calls change the game, especially in key moments.

That 3rd down in OT when Rodgers just threw the ball up as he was about to get hit - that PI should NEVER be called - and almost always isn't..unless he was basically tackled.  To call a ticky-tac PI there is inexcusable.  The ref that threw the flag there should absolutely be suspended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think if they are going to have so many penalties called, they have to scale back the punishments a bit. 

1. DPI should go to the college rule where it's 15-20 yards and not a spot foul, unless under that yardage

2. Defensive holding should not be an automatic first down.

3. Offensive holding should be a 5 yard penalty instead of a 10 yard penalty

 

I agree with the sentiment, but the one I disagree with is the DPI, you do that, every time a DB is beat he will pull the WR down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think if they are going to have so many penalties called, they have to scale back the punishments a bit. 

1. DPI should go to the college rule where it's 15-20 yards and not a spot foul, unless under that yardage

2. Defensive holding should not be an automatic first down.

3. Offensive holding should be a 5 yard penalty instead of a 10 yard penalty

 

A huge  no to the last one.  Teams already hold egregiously and the dlineman get flagged for ticky tacky roughing calls when they do get there.

I've been a proponent of the college pi rules for a while now.

More calls on pick plays and push offs would help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...