Mac...the positive

SheaRay

I’m going to preface this by saying I strongly believe the Jets need to clean house including the front office and GM.

I know it’s easy and justified to bash Mac. The reach for Hackenberg sticks out with most people. Whiffing in the 2nd round has become a troubling pattern (D. Smith, Stuart).

I’m more frustrated with the lack of focus on offense. I also think going Safety/Safety two years ago was an awful move.

In fairness though I was thinking about some (not many) of the positive moves he’s made.

Clearly his best decision was moving up to 3rd last year. A move that many people criticized. Without it we would not have picked up Darnold. He deserves major credit for that.

Good GMs make their mark in the later rounds. Here are some that Mike made the right call.

Herndon 4th

Cannon 6th

McGuire 6th

Jordan Jenkins 3rd

Shell 5th

Lachlan Edwards 7th

Anderson UFA

And for what it’s worth, the Brandon Marshall trade was a steal.

Like I said I think he should go but there have been some bright spots and obviously Sam is the brightest.

15 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

I’m going to preface this by saying I strongly believe the Jets need to clean house including the front office and GM.

I know it’s easy and justified to bash Mac. The reach for Hackenberg sticks out with most people. Whiffing in the 2nd round has become a troubling pattern (D. Smith, Stuart).

I’m more frustrated with the lack of focus on offense. I also think going Safety/Safety two years ago was an awful move.

In fairness though I was thinking about some (not many) of the positive moves he’s made.

Clearly his best decision was moving up to 3rd last year. A move that many people criticized. Without it we would not have picked up Darnold. He deserves major credit for that.

Good GMs make their mark in the later rounds. Here are some that Mike made the right call.

Herndon 4th

Cannon 6th

McGuire 6th

Jordan Jenkins 3rd

Shell 5th

Lachlan Edwards 7th

Anderson UFA

Like I said I think he should go but there have been some bright spots and obviously Sam is the brightest.

Mac in 4 drafts, when he's not drafting at 6 or higher, Macc has given us a few players who actually look like they belong in the NFL.

Whether that is "good," I suppose is in the eye of the beholder.

The Marshall trade was a steal for who?  The team that gave up a draft pick for him, or the team that got a draft pick for a player they wanted nothing to do with anymore?

11 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

It was 2 years and they gave the Bears a 7th. 

We gave the Bears a 5th.  They used that pick to draft Adrian Amos who has started 55 games for them over 4 years on a rookie contract.  We got one great year out of Brandon Marshall and one terrible year.  The Bears got the better of that deal.

18 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

Herndon 4th

Cannon 6th

McGuire 6th

Jordan Jenkins 3rd

Shell 5th

Lachlan Edwards 7th

Anderson UFA

Sorry but good GMs build their roster in rounds 2 thru 4.   He’s failed miserably at that.   

Plus he traded a future 4th rounder for the 5th round pick to get Shell. 

Cannon should not appear on that list.  

Avery Williamson, Neville Hewitt, Copeland, Andre Roberts, Frankie Luvu, Jason Myers...

People give all the credit to Boyer for turning the special teams around but it was only possible because Macc and Co dedicated resources to improve it.

31 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

Herndon 4th

Cannon 6th

McGuire 6th

Jordan Jenkins 3rd

Shell 5th

Lachlan Edwards 7th

Anderson UFA

Fitzpatrick for a 7th rounder(correct me if I’m wrong) was a good trade considering we had NOTHING at QB and got a career year out of him. QBs are premium positions and that’s as low of a cost as possible via draft compensation. 

Good luck with this. I made a quick comment in the GB game thread about Herndon and how I choose to make sure I give mac credit for picks like Herndon. I personally want to be objective and give credit where it us due if I'm going to bash him for everything he does wrong. 

Good luck with this thread ?

6 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Good luck with this. I made a quick comment in the GB game thread about Herndon and how I choose to make sure I give mac credit for picks like Herndon. I personally want to be objective and give credit where it us due if I'm going to bash him for everything he does wrong. 

Good luck with this thread ?

I’m not defending him just pointing out some positive moves. If he stays it will be because of picking up Darnold.

Remember when everyone thought John Elway was such a genius?

Herndon 4th

Cannon 6th

McGuire 6th

Jordan Jenkins 3rd

Shell 5th

Lachlan Edwards 7th

Anderson UFA

Other than Anderson, every one of those guys is a Jag.

(I’m not nearly as high on Herdon as the rest of you)

Finding Jags isn’t exactly an accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

(I’m not nearly as high on Herdon than the rest of you)

Agree in general principle, most of those guys are quite average.  It's telling that average JAG players get talked up so often here as "hits" by Macc.  Says alot tbqh.

Disagree on Herndon, he looks good (enough) so far.  About time, tho, he's what, the tenth TE Mac has brought in or drafted?  

And disagree on Anderson, he's the single most over-rated Jet by Jet Fans I can recall in ages.  He's a #3 luxury WR trying to be a #1.  And a dozen Anderlols can't overcome all the many, MANY, bad WR's Macc has brought in or drafted.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We got 1 year out of brandon marshall.  1 year is not a steal.

Yeah hit was a steal, how people can down play his 1st year here is puzzling.  He was the 1st true play making wr this team has had in ages and he was one of the best wrs in the league.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

(I’m not nearly as high on Herdon as the rest of you)

Finding Jags isn’t exactly an accomplishment.

Well that is what you do with the back end of the draft.  Find guys that can play and help out.  They may be jags but they are still around. 

Having said that Mac has more than made up for his late round finds with awful fa signings, terrible priority with his high picks and his massive fails in the 2nd and 3rd rounds which is where you expect to find some good players that may be stars.

For being a 'scouting background' kind of GM he is a bag of fail overall.

Well that is what you do with the back end of the draft.  Find guys that can play and help out.  They may be jags but they are still around. 
Having said that Mac has more than made up for his late round finds with awful fa signings, terrible priority with his high picks and his massive fails in the 2nd and 3rd rounds which is where you expect to find some good players that may be stars.
For being a 'scouting background' kind of GM he is a bag of fail overall.

Yes. That’s what your supposed to do. The OP was looking at those picks as a positive and reason to keep him.
Accomplishing the status quo when you’ve mostly failed at everything else isn’t a “pro”

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. That’s what your supposed to do. The OP was looking at those picks as a positive and reason to keep him.
Accomplishing the status quo when you’ve mostly failed at everything else isn’t a “pro”

True.  Plus those late round picks are only around because of the massive failures in rounds 2 thru 4.  On a good roster those guys wouldn’t be on the 53 man.  

There are some mysteries to Mac.

Primarily, under Mac, the Jets seem to have positional values all messed up. They seem to place almost no value on playmakers, but over value safety, defensive tackles that are no penetrating pass rushers, and seem to place no value on OL at all in the draft.

If this is because of Macs own preferences, fire him immediately. If that was a function of what Bowles wanted as a coach, then maybe it gets adjusted with a new head coach (full disclosure- I dont think Bowles is getting fired)

3 hours ago, Larz said:

He passed on Watson and mahomes because he liked the last class better and plugged in his star rookie into an offense of scrubs 

As bad as Bowles is the roster stinks he could probably win with even just average talent 

Won't argue your points.  However,  Todd Bowles couldn't win with the best players  at EVERY position in the league.  He is THAT bad sorry.

5 hours ago, SheaRay said:

I’m not defending him just pointing out some positive moves. If he stays it will be because of picking up Darnold.

Remember when everyone thought John Elway was such a genius?

I'm with you bud. I try to be objective and I constantly bash him for A LOT. If I'm going to do that I think I need to be fair and give him credit where it's due. One of the very few bright spots of this season (for me) as been the emergence of Herndon. This team hasnt had a TE you could rely on to any degree in many years. Who was the last TE that had any production? I'm not counting ASJ first 3-4 games last year. Chris Baker? 

I'm very excited that it looks like we finally have a player at that position. If I'm going to bash him for his MANY screw ups, I need to give him credit for Herndon*.

*Doesn't make up for screw ups and screw ups are still more frequent than good picks. 

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Won't argue your points.  However,  Todd Bowles couldn't win with the best players  at EVERY position in the league.  He is THAT bad sorry.

How did he win 10 games then? 

He's not a good coach, but the talent is worse than the coaching 

Not much of a point to argue ? but that's just how I see it 

6 hours ago, Larz said:

He passed on Watson and mahomes because he liked the last class better and plugged in his star rookie into an offense of scrubs 

As bad as Bowles is the roster stinks he could probably win with even just average talent 

At least we aren't the Bills.  They traded the Mahomes pick to the Chiefs (and also their starting LT) to accumulate draft capital for this years draft, only to get out maneuvered by Mike freakin Maccagan and have to settle for Josh Allen as their franchise QB.  I would have had an aneurysm if this scenario was team reversed.

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

True.  Plus those late round picks are only around because of the massive failures in rounds 2 thru 4.  On a good roster those guys wouldn’t be on the 53 man.  

You're a putz

Sincerely

Tom Brady and Jerry Rice

1 hour ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

At least we aren't the Bills.  They traded the Mahomes pick to the Chiefs (and also their starting LT) to accumulate draft capital for this years draft, only to get out maneuvered by Mike freakin Maccagan and have to settle for Josh Allen as their franchise QB.  I would have had an aneurysm if this scenario was team reversed.

Ooof! 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

How did he win 10 games then? 

He's not a good coach, but the talent is worse than the coaching 

Not much of a point to argue ? but that's just how I see it 

How he "won" ten games is beyond me.  You can argue that sh*tspatrick's magical season, Brandon Marshall, and the "football G-ds" had a lot to do with it.  Since then he is the proud sponsor of about the league's worst overall record.  I know the "talent" is bad, but it seems to me the "leadership", "game management", "In-game adjustments", "Schemes" and "Personnel Development have been even worse, That is on him and the "Coaching" staff. Believe me, when he arrived I was excited, based on his body of work with the Cardinals,  I wanted him to succeed.  But his tenure has been a Colossal  failure, in all respects and he should have been gone year two,  when he lost the team so early in the season and did nothing about it.  That is not a Head Coach.  That being said I respect your football knowledge and enjoy your posts

How he "won" ten games is beyond me.  You can argue that sh*tspatrick's magical season, Brandon Marshall, and the "football G-ds" had a lot to do with it. 

I.E. talent matters more than coaching. Or at the very least, talent can mask bad coaching for a while.

Coaching still matters, but it’s probably 65/35 talent. Which is why Macc is more to blame than Bowles for the last 4 seasons.

Archived