Merry Christmas, freaks. This is the best Jets season since Parcells

T0mShane

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Let me try to enumerate all that is wrong with this post.

First, a guy who started posting here in August of this year is going to tell us about various opinions on this message board 7 and 8 years ago...

Second, some people did think Sanchez was a bust before stepping on the field, many others saw that the team success was despite awful (both by standard and advanced metrics) performance 

Third, there's a difference between sucking, and being a bust.  As clearly stated in my prior post, we hoped that he would improve over time.  The book wasn't closed on Sanchez after two years, but he was a bad quarterback immediately and pretty consistently.

Fourth, Sanchez being a bad QB doesn't mean that fans couldn't watch the Jets, enjoy the playoff runs, and root for them to win.  The team was not boring, or bad.  They just had a bad QB.

Fifth, the buttfumble was and is irrelevant.  It was a 7-point turnover in a blow-out game.  If a good QB did it, it's one bad play that shows up on Sports Center and some gifs.  It's only iconic because it was sort of a metaphor for Sanchez's entire, hapless career.  Anyone who threw in the towel on Sanchez simply based on that play just didn't understand what they were watching for over two and a half years.

So yes, plenty of people were able to see what Sanchez was before one laughable play.  Unfortunate that you weren't one of them.

So you're saying I'm not a real fan because I wasn't posting here 7_8 years ago? Maybe I was a member on another board that collapsed 4-5 years ago. And then took 4 years to register here because the jets were so terrible and boring that I had little interest in discussing the jets. 

One way to look at it is; you're so football smart and and have a knack at evaluating talent that you were above the majority of jets fans and knew Sanchez wasn't going to live up to the hype.  Yes there was a lot of hype with the Sanchez,  he was the highest QB drafted by the jets since Namath. 

Dont forget to send out your resume to Johnson & Johnson after Mac get a canned. 

10 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

So you're saying I'm not a real fan because I wasn't posting here 7_8 years ago? Maybe I was a member on another board that collapsed 4-5 years ago. And then took 4 years to register here because the jets were so terrible and boring that I had little interest in discussing the jets. 

One way to look at it is; you're so football smart and and have a knack at evaluating talent that you were above the majority of jets fans and knew Sanchez wasn't going to live up to the hype.  Yes there was a lot of hype with the Sanchez,  he was the highest QB drafted by the jets since Namath. 

Dont forget to send out your resume to Johnson & Johnson after Mac get a canned. 

No, I’m not saying you’re not a real fan.  I’m saying exactly what I said.  That you’re not qualified to talk about the opinions that were posted here because you weren’t here.  That’s all.

I’m also not claiming any level of expertise.  I’m claiming an evaluation that many also had.  That Sanchez was bad at football.  All one needed to do to arrive at that conclusion was ignore thier feelings, and acknowledge facts.

I could do a better job than Mac though.  But, as I’ve stated, and as is also demonstratively true, all I’d need to do is use Mel Kiper’s Big Board to do so.  Because, if you’d simply done that with every pick, our 1st round would be identical, and most every other pick would be better.

10 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Sanchez was a late riser in the draft. Back in January of that year, he was being mocked to the Jets at their original pick which was in the late teens/early 20's. There was a lot of concern about his few number of starts at the college level. Pete Carroll was saying that he should really stay in school for another year. There was a lot of opinion that that USC team was a powerhouse and that Sanchez was just along for the ride. I don't remember what led him to slide up, probably just a dearth of QBs, but he did. The Jets traded up to get him and did so on the cheap. Jet fans were certainly rooting for him, and he showed some promise in his playoff appearances, but I don't think a majority of fans had ever really bought in. Not at this site. There was hope, there were a few hardcore homers, but most saw that he was struggling to completely get it and was being carried by a solid roster. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Sanchez was a late riser in the draft. Back in January of that year, he was being mocked to the Jets at their original pick which was in the late teens/early 20's. There was a lot of concern about his few number of starts at the college level. Pete Carroll was saying that he should really stay in school for another year. There was a lot of opinion that that USC team was a powerhouse and that Sanchez was just along for the ride. I don't remember what led him to slide up, probably just a dearth of QBs, but he did. The Jets traded up to get him and did so on the cheap. Jet fans were certainly rooting for him, and he showed some promise in his playoff appearances, but I don't think a majority of fans had ever really bought in. Not at this site. There was hope, there were a few hardcore homers, but most saw that he was struggling to completely get it and was being carried by a solid roster. 

Pete Carroll said those things for selfish reasons, he knew he could(and likely would) win a Nat'l title if Sanchez returned.  Mark was obviously ready to play in the NFL right away, his career turned when they first got rid of all his weapons then got rid of his OC then was expected to get better.

By year 2 how many games did the Jets win late b/c the pass O? he may have been carried a bit as a rookie but by year 2 that was not the case.  The pass O carried that team many times that year and picked up the D when they tried to blow games.

w/ that said Sam looks like a much better prospect.  Mark was an Eli type that needed a lot of talent around him, Sam looks like he will make talent around him better.

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Sanchez was a late riser in the draft. Back in January of that year, he was being mocked to the Jets at their original pick which was in the late teens/early 20's. There was a lot of concern about his few number of starts at the college level. Pete Carroll was saying that he should really stay in school for another year. There was a lot of opinion that that USC team was a powerhouse and that Sanchez was just along for the ride. I don't remember what led him to slide up, probably just a dearth of QBs, but he did. The Jets traded up to get him and did so on the cheap. Jet fans were certainly rooting for him, and he showed some promise in his playoff appearances, but I don't think a majority of fans had ever really bought in. Not at this site. There was hope, there were a few hardcore homers, but most saw that he was struggling to completely get it and was being carried by a solid roster

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Pete Carroll said those things for selfish reasons, he knew he could(and likely would) win a Nat'l title if Sanchez returned.  Mark was obviously ready to play in the NFL right away, his career turned when they first got rid of all his weapons then got rid of his OC then was expected to get better.

By year 2 how many games did the Jets win late b/c the pass O? he may have been carried a bit as a rookie but by year 2 that was not the case.  The pass O carried that team many times that year and picked up the D when they tried to blow games.

w/ that said Sam looks like a much better prospect.  Mark was an Eli type that needed a lot of talent around him, Sam looks like he will make talent around him better.

And, speaking of "a few hardcore homers"

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is just such a complete lie.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

because I am not a typical, whiny Jet fan doesn't make me a homer.  I was realistic and fair w/ Sanchez unlike most of our ungrateful, pathetic fanbase.

If ignoring data and declaring yourself right is “realistic and fair,” then yeah, you da realist and fairest.

Archived