Albert Breer suggests Matt Campbel from Iowa state as a possible Jets head coach

Jetsbb

As for Campbell, I'll try and give my honest assessment, even though I'm legally obligated to dislike Iowa State.

He's a good coach.  Maybe even a very good coach.  He seems to be highly thought of in coaching circles.  I haven't seen enough in game day coaching to think he should be seriously considered.  That's not the end all be all, and I have heard he is a tremendous at delegating responsibility, which is a very big plus for a HC.  I just don't see it, quite yet at least.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

what happened to kirk ferentz, he was supposed to be the next great nfl prospect coach years back.

It's my understanding that in the mid 2000s(05 maybe?) He was the leader in the clubhouse for the Jags job.  Was very close to taking it, then ultimately decided to stay.  Then Iowa regressed a bit for a few years and he just never got mentioned again.

He is now the equivalent to what most people say Mike McCarthy is. Old-Fashioned and unimaginative and not changing soon.

As a former Big 12 rival, I'm supposed to hate ISU...but this guy can coach. I have no idea if he translates to the nfl game, but I think it's clear that this is a smart guy that can lead men at any level. This is the kind of outside the box thinking I want to see with this vacancy. Hopefully it continues. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This hire would scare the sh*t out of me.  Who is the last college coach to come over to the NFL with no NFL Coaching experience to be successful as HC?

Especially one that has coached at the likes of Mount Union, Bowling Green, Toledo and Iowa State his entire career.

If the Jets are indeed looking to go “big game hunting”, then the only names that make sense are guys like Harbaugh, Shanahan, McCarthy, and maybe a big name young college coach like Riley.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Especially one that has coached at the likes of Mount Union, Bowling Green, Toledo and Iowa State his entire career.

If the Jets are indeed looking to go “big game hunting”, then the only names that make sense are guys like Harbaugh, Shanahan, McCarthy, and maybe a big name young college coach like Riley.

Damn straight. 

Archived