Whoever the Jets choose as Head Coach

Jetster

I have only one demand of them....LET DARNOLD PLAY! 

Sam is not Fitz, or McCown, guys that have to be reigned in or they just start trying to do more than they are capable of. Darnold has proven in the last 3 games that you gotta let him PLAY! F*ck this run, run, pass sh*t! 

He looks to me like a guy that thrives on letting it rip! The last thing I want my QB thinking is, don't make a mistake, don't make a mistake, don't make a mistake. That's how Bowles was already in his head. Indecision is worse! 

We need a coach like McVay, a guy who has the balls to mold Sam Darnold into a KILLER. I want the type of QB, that when opposing teams punt & it only goes to the 50, opposing fans are like, "damn, we're in TROUBLE!". 

I remember Mike Holgren talking about reigning in Favre. But you only need to teach guys like this not to be reckless with the ball, that doesn't mean, don't take some chances. As a fan, I want those, oh sh*t, don't throw that, no, no, no, YES TOUCH DOWN moments. 

Being a fan is supposed to be fun. Even though we lost last week to the Packers, the game was exciting! God, the snore fests that we've endured under this coach the last 3 years, I was starting to HATE WATCHING US! I was turning to Redzone for some entertainment. I want my Jets under the new coach & Darnold to be the kind of offensive team that every fan of our opponents sees the Jets on the schedule & says, oh sh*t, how the hell is our crappy offense gonna keep up with the Jets? 

Thats entertainment. Just give a defense that can get a few stop & an unstoppable offense and let's all start having fun on Sundays again. 

They almost did that Sunday.  They still reined him in with the 15 point lead, like they had a defense that could protect it.  The gloves came off again when they went behind.  Pathetic.  If they had let him throw a few of those TE passes earlier it wouldd  never have come to that.  Instead it was all sideline comebacks and stuff like that.  So predictable

42 minutes ago, jack48 said:

They almost did that Sunday.  They still reined him in with the 15 point lead, like they had a defense that could protect it.  The gloves came off again when they went behind.  Pathetic.  If they had let him throw a few of those TE passes earlier it wouldd  never have come to that.  Instead it was all sideline comebacks and stuff like that.  So predictable

Bowles is offense averse, it's in his DNA. He's a big chicken, this idea that we can't trust the QB to win a game but he's comfortable putting Clairborne 1 on 1 with Adams? Lol.

The way Sam was playing, he was better off going for EVERY 4th & short, than putting his defense on the field. It didn't matter where Rogers started, could have been the 1 yard line, the Jets defense was not going to make a stop if Rogers had 4 downs. 

He's Jeff Fisher cloaked in darker skin. I'm happy with Matt Campbell, Zac Taylor at OC, we need young guys in here that will encourage Darnold, fill him to the brim with knowledge on offense, and build on that offensive scheme where every week a new wrinkle is added. Could you imagine having Bell I the backfield (I've mentioned I'd rather get 2 players for one but I won't cry if they sign him), we somehow land Deebo Samuel at the top of the 3rd? 

I want to see an offense with these Jet sweeps and RPOs. Hell, Cannon would be a candidate for Jet sweeps with his speed, you can't just let him get to the edge on you. A good OC could turn this young man into an unstoppable force surrounded by playmakers. A smart, accurate QB that can also throw darts on the run from right or left is a PITA to a defense. There has to be coaches out there seeing film of Darnold & salivating. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I agree with this thread. I also think the Jets are headed towards keeping Bowlesif Darnold plays well again this Sunday

If they keep Bowles the entire fan base will go ballistic. I do not see any way they keep him. Having said that, I agree 100% with the OP. Tell me one person who did not know we were toast losing the coin toss in OT. That is what we want Sam to be. A QB who gets the ball in OT and finishes the game right there.

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

The 1st and 20 after the fake punt is what drove me crazy.  Two runs between the tackles and a screen pass on 3rd and 19.  They needed to try to pick up some yardage on 1st down.  Instead they sent Mcguire between the tackles for -3.   And then another run on 2nd and 23.  Let Sam try to throw downfield and win the game.  The first down is more important than the clock at that point.  Even on the 3rd down play call, how about we throw one deep and maybe get a defensive holding or DPI call -- we know the refs were throwing flags all night.  Maybe a guy makes a play or we get a call.  But no, we turn it over to a future hall of famer and expect or defense to come up with a big stop with the game on the line; something they have not been able to do in years.

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

The 1st and 20 after the fake punt is what drove me crazy.  Two runs between the tackles and a screen pass on 3rd and 19.  They needed to try to pick up some yardage on 1st down.  Instead they sent Mcguire between the tackles for -3.   And then another run on 2nd and 23.  Let Sam try to throw downfield and win the game.  The first down is more important than the clock at that point.  Even on the 3rd down play call, how about we throw one deep and maybe get a defensive holding or DPI call -- we know the refs were throwing flags all night.  Maybe a guy makes a play or we get a call.  But no, we turn it over to a future hall of famer and expect or defense to come up with a big stop with the game on the line; something they have not been able to do in years.

They couldn't stop Marcus Mariotta, lol, and Bowles had them run plays to run the clock? Rogers was slicing & dicing us, everyone knew if Rogers had the ball the Jets were dead meat. I have to say, I knew when they won the coin flip it was over and I was OK with it. 

Sam played very well, we lost, better pick, more dirt shoveled on Bowles grave.

Theres two sides to this though.  One thing Darnold needs to learn is that when he buys time in the pocket (due to his ridiculous pocket presences and athletic ability) that there will be plays to be made down the field, BUT there will also be check downs that will result in big plays as the secondary is further down the field.

Its great to take chances down the field, and he will only get better and better at that, but hitting your RB and taking what the defense gives you is also a good play and how you win games

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Bowles is offense averse, it's in his DNA. He's a big chicken, this idea that we can't trust the QB to win a game but he's comfortable putting Clairborne 1 on 1 with Adams? Lol.

The way Sam was playing, he was better off going for EVERY 4th & short, than putting his defense on the field. It didn't matter where Rogers started, could have been the 1 yard line, the Jets defense was not going to make a stop if Rogers had 4 downs. 

He's Jeff Fisher cloaked in darker skin. I'm happy with Matt Campbell, Zac Taylor at OC, we need young guys in here that will encourage Darnold, fill him to the brim with knowledge on offense, and build on that offensive scheme where every week a new wrinkle is added. Could you imagine having Bell I the backfield (I've mentioned I'd rather get 2 players for one but I won't cry if they sign him), we somehow land Deebo Samuel at the top of the 3rd? 

I want to see an offense with these Jet sweeps and RPOs. Hell, Cannon would be a candidate for Jet sweeps with his speed, you can't just let him get to the edge on you. A good OC could turn this young man into an unstoppable force surrounded by playmakers. A smart, accurate QB that can also throw darts on the run from right or left is a PITA to a defense. There has to be coaches out there seeing film of Darnold & salivating. 

Cannon is crazy fast.  Receiver potential

10 hours ago, Lith said:

2nd and long is the worst down for the Jet offense.

NO!  We need to be on the leading edge of things.  Bowles said earlier this year that the league is cyclical and it will be a run first league in 10 years.  We MUST get a head start and start running on 1st and 2nd down every time.  We will be the new visionaries.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NO!  We need to be on the leading edge of things.  Bowles said earlier this year that the league is cyclical and it will be a run first league in 10 years.  We MUST get a head start and start running on 1st and 2nd down every time.  We will be the new visionaries.

Ten Years. huh.  "Start" running on 1st and 2nd down?  Got the market cornered on that one.  Better lock up Bates with a long extension before someone swoops in and scoops him up.  I think Bowels said "this league is cynical"

14 hours ago, jack48 said:

it's coward coaching through and through.  Bowles. :chas:

7 hours ago, estang74 said:

I wonder how many times we have run on first down this year. 80 percent of the time? 85 percent?

Sam seems to be picking up the play-action thing.  I see more throwing early int he future.  With a different coaching staff, of course.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Idiotic statement, meant to be contrarian to what the whole world sees, and to make himself appear to be saying something smart and profound. The NFL is a business first and it’s customers, mostly, love watching Offense...hence all the rule changes that give a huge bias TO Offenses throughout the league.

The Jets might finally have gotten the Memo if they finally pick an HC with an Offense background.

8 hours ago, estang74 said:

I wonder how many times we have run on first down this year. 80 percent of the time? 85 percent?

Surprisingly we are right about 50%.  Which is just about league average.  We are just not as effective, run or pass.  We average about 5 yards gained on first down.  League average is closer to 7.

Splits by Down 

Rushing Passing  
Down #Pl ToGo Yds Att Yds Y/A TD 1D Cmp Att Cmp% Yds Y/A TD Int Sk 1D Rate ANY/A  
1st 394 10.29 5.17 195 772 4.0 4 21 112 189 59.3 1265 6.7 6 8 10 54 72.3 5.2 All Jets plays on 1st down
2nd 300 8.46 5.18 136 582 4.3 5 37 97 155 62.6 971 6.3 4 5 9 46 75.5 5.0 All Jets plays on 2nd down
3rd 201 7.56 4.21 48 132 2.8 1 19 67 139 48.2 714 5.1 8 4 14 48 70.8 4.5 All Jets plays on 3rd down
4th 20 6.00 5.45 7 29 4.1 1 6 7 13 53.8 80 6.2 0 2 0 5 33.0 -0.8 All Jets plays on 4th down

Archived