Jets have the 26th ranked defense

Jetsbb

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Again all you hear about critiques of our defense is “lack of technique” “out of position” and “miscommunication”. That screams bad coaching not bad talent

There's some talent on that D.  Not saying it's great or Top 10, but it's not 26th ranked talent IMO.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

When Rex was our coach we damn well new what our ranking was as he reminded everyone every chance he got. With our draft history of drafting exclusively defensive players in the first round for 10 years and only defensive head coaches for 20 years this is very embarrassing.

An indictment of our so-called "defensive genius"  :/

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Agreed. Maccagnan can get blame for the lack of talent on offense but not on defense. 

If the Jets had better personnel at WR1, Center and LT then this team, with a maturing QB, would have at least an average offense, if not better IMO.  Crowell behind a better line with the threat of a passing game can be very good (not great).  For some reason, I feel like the Jets are still just a few players away on offense.  Upgrading those 3 spots would halt the complaining, upgrading a couple more than that would have us cheering.

Rexs worst D was, like, 8th... with no legit pass rush... and we had crap at QB the whole way

False.

Jets D in 2013: 16th

Jets D in 2014: 22nd

Bills D in 2015: 28th

Bills D in 2016: 28th

And the year before Rex took over in Buffalo, the D was # 2.

The Jets D the year after Rex was # 6 under Bowles in 2015.

This disgusting nostalgia for Rex Ryan needs to end immediately.

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

When Rex was our coach we damn well new what our ranking was as he reminded everyone every chance he got. With our draft history of drafting exclusively defensive players in the first round for 10 years and only defensive head coaches for 20 years this is very embarrassing.

Shockingly wrong, see above

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Hey look at the huge silver lining though.

If the Jets just had an average to bad HC these last 4 years, then you can forget about having not only a Franchise QB in Sam Darnold but he is looking more and more every day to be a potential #1 QB in the entire league as Tony Romo has projected.  I've already seen him hit throws most of the QB's in the league can't.

Without Bowles being so horrific (and don't leave out Maccagnan) and keeping his buddy as DC while throwing virtually all other assistants under the bus, and watching their D implode virtually 100% of the time when if they were able to just put up a stand just 1 time at the end of games the outcome was victory.  Last 2 weeks great example..Darnold had Houston and Aaron Rodgers beat all by himself....then you'd be stuck watching the Jets trying to get the next Hackenberg to play at the pro level as they would draft yearly in no man's land, or even worse bringing in the next washed up Boomer Esiason type (would have loved Boomer to have been the Jet QB, but 10 years before they got him) in hopes of securing a .500 record and everyone in the Jet Mom & Pop Shop being able to keep their jobs...forget about winning.  The Jet organization for decades has been about inept people covering for their friends....I don't think Sam Darnold will allow that anymore because first and foremost he's all about winning...if it continues he'll leave.  That's why I think the Jets will finally pay for top quality at coach and the Front Office.  They have their Crown Jewel in Darnold, it just makes good business sense.

Yup if you look at the big picture all Jet fans should owe Bowles a huge amount of gratitude.

Yes, finally being REALLY BAD helped us land Sam Darnold. Thank you Todd & Macc, youve done your jobs, now get the hell out of here!

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some of our high end talent will look much worse under a real D coordinator.

A real Dc is not going to line up his SS on the line going forward 8 times out of 10 in a passing league.

Good point,  never thought of it that way.  Worse, Mayes is exactly that  type of player also.  Could mean trouble on the back end.

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I don't understand all the revisionist history about the Rex Ryan regime.  Truth is/was that the last two years, Rex defense {granted it was a sight better than the sh*t Bowles throws out there} was nothing to write home about.  Homogenous, mostly soft and uninspiring.  I can remember many second half meltdowns similar to the ones we suffer through now.  We have experienced enough slow deaths through soft "prevent" type schemes to last a lifetime.  I have no appetite to see this "Clown Show" make a repeat performance in this town. BTW Rob is WORSE.

AND, Rex had actual talent to coach. Bowles lost his two 'pro bowl' DEs and the front seven is, on the whole, average.

My issues with Bowles are about the offense. He's coached decently enough on the defensive side of the ball. And he has no real defensive coordinator. My issues are with how completely inept the offense has looked. And the sloppy, penalty filled stupidity that is week-in and week-out.

Let's not elevate Ryan just to denigrate Bowles. Both are different sides of the same coin: defensive coordinators who really don't know dick about coaching offense or having an effective one.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And we all know that the failed defense is part of the reason why hes getting fired.

But for some reason we need a daily thread sounding shocked.  And even more puzzling, why the hell is it embarrassing

It is embarrassing because of the amount of extreme resources this team has put into defense. Parcells, Groh, Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles I mean come on! The look on Darnold's face when told he was the first offensive guy drafted by the Jets in the first round since Sanchez was priceless.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some of our high end talent will look much worse under a real D coordinator.

A real Dc is not going to line up his SS on the line going forward 8 times out of 10 in a passing league.

Adams has an elite coverage grade. I'm sure you noticed after maye went Down that he has been in deep coverage much more often 

Please elaborate 

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

It is embarrassing because of the amount of extreme resources this team has put into defense. Parcells, Groh, Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles I mean come on! The look on Darnold's face when told he was the first offensive guy drafted by the Jets in the first round since Sanchez was priceless.

Nonsense.  Nothing extreme and youre really going back to the 90s and ignoring the good defensive teams we've had in those years?  You should be more embarrassed for saying this.  Especially when you imagined the nonsense about the look on Darnolds face.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Adams has an elite coverage grade. I'm sure you noticed after maye went Down that he has been in deep coverage much more often 

Please elaborate 

He cant elaborate anything.  He just spews out one negative cliche after another.  This is the guy who a few months ago said that Adams should have been a day 2 pick, 4th rounder.  

I'm so sick of educating the ignorant, do I have to put this in my sig? 

Snap counts for Adams 

FS. 240

SS.84

LB.324

EDGE 124

SCB   122

CB 31

So free safety and slot corner and outside corner is 393 snaps and he has an elite coverage grade.  Let's stop with the box safety nonsense mkay? 

Linebacker, edge rusher and strong safety is 532. Obviously on some of those plays he winds up covering someone and when he is in the slot or outside it winds up a run play sometimes so it's hard to say the exact ratio but watch the video 

He is elite in coverage and blitzing. 

Elite 

You guys need to get a clue! 

Watching Johnson's. Skrine's. Claiborne's. and Robert's "technique" evolve over this season, my vote as to who gets banished to coaching hell is this guy.  Poor positioning, illegal use of hands, improper tackling (hitting near the head and shoulders).  I could go on... 

Untitled.jpg

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Please elaborate 

Oh you mean like on the 1st td where he ran forward then watched as the guy ran right past him?  Elite?  Laughable.

12 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

The talent has been put in place the coaching hasn't. This is a very talented team that WOULD HAVE WON THE AFC EAST if Bowles was fired last year. 

This is a bottom 5 talent roster.  Mac, IMO, is demonstrably worse than Bowles.

Some of the moves/picks Mac has made are inexplicable...

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Rich Cimini 

The Jets have been outscored, 60-14, in the final 5 minutes of the fourth quarter, largest point differential in the league. Surprise: This week's opponent, Patriots, aren't much better -- 53-16. #Jets

Yeah except that patriots are usually eased off at that point, killing the clock. Jets are losing their lead.

He had one bad pick in Hackenberg.

lol. Just one? How about the Hansen and Stewart picks? Devin Smith? Mauldin? Taking back to back safeties rounds 1 & 2? Jarvis Harrison? Juston Burris?

Nathan Shepherd doesn’t look like a winner either if early returns are any indication.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a bottom 5 talent roster.  Mac, IMO, is demonstrably worse than Bowles.

Some of the moves/picks Mac has made are inexplicable...

You guys act like Bowles has been asking for OL and WR with premium picks and Mac said, no, you will get safeties, interior Dlmen and Inside LBers and like it, too bad Bowles. Get real guys, Bowles has set the tone of this roster, MAC is no help, but the design which is piss poor is on Bowles 

Archived