• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lincoln Riley

Pete Carmichael

Freddie Kitchens

Scott Frost

John DeFillipo

I want an offensive minded head coach so I have eliminated both Harbaughs from the list because I have had enough with conservative offenses which is the last thing we should be running with Darnold at QB. McCarthy is eliminated because he underachieved badly with the greatest QB to ever play. All of my choices are young innovative offensive coaches that will get the best out of Darnold which is the key to the Jets being a consistent championship contender.

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Lincoln Riley

Pete Carmichael

Freddie Kitchens

Scott Frost

John DeFillipo

I want an offensive minded head coach so I have eliminated both Harbaughs from the list because I have had enough with conservative offenses which is the last thing we should be running with Darnold at QB. McCarthy is eliminated because he underachieved badly with the greatest QB to ever play. All of my choices are young innovative offensive coaches that will get the best out of Darnold which is the key to the Jets being a consistent championship contender.

To be fair here, you could say the same thing about Carmichael, too. The Saints have had Brees just as long as the Packers have had Rodgers.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

My 3 - Toub, LaFleur, Dan Campbell

Lincoln Riley isnt leaving Oklahoma for the NY Jets and personally I believe this franchise is Sam's for the next 15 years and we dont need someone like Jim Harbough making everything his way or the highway.  

Vince Lombardi disagrees.

In this order:

John Harbaugh if he's available for a draft pick (no more than 1 of our 3s)

Mike Shannahan (Keeps Bates/Dennison) oversees play calling/scheme)

Mike McCarthy 

3 experienced coaches & more importantly leaders.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't scout college coaches.  I don't scout NFL assistant coaches. 

And frankly, I don't spend a ton of time evaluating OTHER NFL Coaches to a point of judging their worthiness for our Job.

So I have no names to put my name to.

What I want is a coach with the following:

1. Head Coach Experience.  No more first timers learning on the job.

2. Offensive Mind.  A Coach who is predominantly known for coaching offense and producing high-scoring offenses.

3. Experience developing young QB's is a huge plus.

4. A Moderate.  Not a "disciplinarian", not a "players coach".  Someone who can do either when either is called for, but who WILL hold players accountable for their actions on and off the field.

5. Someone who takes personal responsibility and is honest.  The team is Your TEAM coach.  What it does is on you.  Not your assistants.  No more throwing people under the bus for your failings here.  And please, save the Bellichekian non-speak interviews for AFTER you have Bellicheks record, not before.

It's probably asking alot, but that's what I want.

Is there a guy who fits this description?

Same

Harbaugh would have been right at the top of the list. John. Wouldn't mind his brother. 

McCarthy really checks all the boxes for me. Hope we have a shot at him. 

As for first timers:

Bienemy, Lefluer are intriguing but will fill me with angst considering our history...

Riley might work with a roster this young. I wouldn't mind the jets giving Schwartz his 2nd chance. He's about the only defensive guy that I would be happy with 

I'm seeing McCarthy over and over here.  I get it, he's won a Super Bowl and made several playoff runs.  But I'm still not sure what the compelling case is for him.  The game may have passed him by.  I think he rode Aaron Rodgers for way too long.  When is the last time he developed a QB?

The Packers have won 2 of their last 3 games.  The one loss being to the Bears by 7 points.  They're playing better without McCarthy despite a subpar roster.  They're averaging 32 points per game over those past 3 games.

I see McCarthy a lot like Don Shula when he had Marino.  Really kind of wasted a great QB because he couldn't work the other areas of the team, never got the QB the running game he needed.  How do you only win one SB with Aaron Rodgers when guys like Eli Manning and Big Ben have multiple trophies?  It's why I hold guys like Mike Shanahan or even now, Pete Carroll and John Harbaugh in higher regard.  Those guys adapted, they changed.  Shanahan did the unimaginable....took the football out of Elway's hands and built the offense around a running game.  Pete Carroll has Russell Wilson in a game manager role right now and the Seahawks run the ball something like 72% of the time, highest % in the NFL.  And then there's Harbaugh, rebuilt his offense to suit a developing rookie QB who is less than an ideal passer.  In the NFL, you adapt or die.

I'm not totally against it but I have very deep concerns about hiring McCarthy.  Would love to be convinced I'm wrong on him.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I am going to be in the minority here but I will tie my name to it. Guy I want is Jim shwartz

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I've been "pounding the table" for this guy for a while now........as a DC/AHC.

For HC, please no. Sam's development and continued success needs to be the foremost focus of the two men in charge (GM & HC).

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So Larz is Chris Johnson's burner account.  :P 

Well, considering Sam's recent improvements, continuity seems like the better option than giving him a new staff. 

Todd is under contract through 2020, let's see what he can do with a better roster 

I want an experienced HC (preferably NFL experience but an established college coach is fine) that has expertise on the offense side of the ball and can be trusted to nurture and develop a young QB and build an offense around him to maximize his potential.  

Not familiar with some of the names on the list, but whoever checks off those boxes is my guy.

I am NO expert in evaluating coaches - good thing this board is filled with them :-)

I am not a big fan of college coaches as they have a different mind set - recruiting, simpler schemes as they on get a few years for each set of players, etc. Carroll is the only one that comes to mind that came back and had success and Seattle had a boat load of picks to go with it.

The Jets haven't had a ton of success with retreads either. Unless they retire and come back quickly, often a retread is available because the game had past them by, etc. Any Reid is a example of a retreat working out okay. Jets did well with Parcells, but then he left us with BB for 1 minute and Groh.

The buffoon did get us to 2 AFCC games, so, I will go with a new HC (although Bowles totally sucked). If I had to pick one, it would be:

- Matt LeFleur (OC TEN)

I've been "pounding the table" for this guy for a while now........as a DC/AHC.
For HC, please no. Sam's development and continued success needs to be the foremost focus of the two men in charge (GM & HC).
I would be happy with him here in those positions too I don't think he would come as a dc I don't think Philly would let him

5 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I would be happy with him here in those positions too I don't think he would come as a dc I don't think Philly would let him

Even if Philly allowed him to, I don't think he'd make that kind of lateral move. I think he thinks he's earned another HC gig.

My point is, I've liked him for a long time dating back to his DC work with Buffalo. I also posted around here that I wanted him the last time we had a HC vacancy to fill. I think he's a strong candidate and will definitely whip the defense into shape.

This time around though, we have a potential FQB, and I want to ensure that the GM & HC are solely focused on his success for the next 15-20 years; because Sam's success is the team's success.

Found this from an interview with Joe Moorehead :

Moorhead explained his offensive philosophy in great detail in an interview with SB Nation’s Bill Connelly. These are the key points of emphasis in a Moorhead offense:

• Use the same personnel as much as possible, to keep defenses guessing.
  • Teach the QB a lot, and empower him to make decisions.
  • Put an option read onto every play, giving the QB choices if things look bad.
  • Don’t get locked into one offensive system, which defenses can dictate to.
  • Adapt to players’ strengths, rather than forcing them to fit a particular mold.

Sounds just like Todd Bowles/Bates - NOT!!!!

Well I doubt any of the assistant's from playoff teams will be available for interviews until their team is eliminated or the Superbowl is done. That being said I am in the minority I see as I don't really want a guy from the recycled coaching tree. Before I make a decision I need to do more research on the guys l am looking at.

I want NOTHING to do with a retread. I think that not only is the selection of them very poor, but I think the milennial professional football players responds to a younger coach, or an exuberant coach like Carroll who acts like he is still 25.

For me:

Fantasy:

Lincoln Riley (my #1 choice. Yes I know he is college. But NFL teams consult with this guy and he would get the most of out of Darnold

Realistic:

#2 Shane Waldron I think he is going to be an AWESOME head coach. Theoretically a year or 2 early but that can be handled with hiring a decent DC/Assistant Head Coach

#3 Dave Toub Special teams guys make great head coaches as their job is inherently very similar, requiring them to coach up an ever changing roster of players, manage players from both offense and defense, call plays and strive for balance. Since HC is a managerial position ST coaches have a built in advantage. They tend to also be extremely strong at situational football. Just need the right OC and DC. Waldron and Williams as an example would round out a fantastic staff

4.  Zac Taylor Ideally would be part of a team with Waldron and Zac's brother, but Taylor is super well regarded for handling QBs

Those are really the ones I would focus on

I would also interview:

5, Brant Boyer He has done an unbelievable job this year and he is a special teams coach, so with the right OC and DC could be an excellent choice.

6. Eric Bienimy

7. Matt LaFleur

However my first call would be to Ozzie to see if maybe, just maybe he is interested in a football czar type of role and give complete control to him to choose GM, Player Personnell, Head Coach and run the show.

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Who do you want to see coming in for interviews next week after Bowles is
let go?  Here's my list:

Fantasy
- David Shaw  (Stanford)
- Jim Harbaugh  (Michigan)

Reality
- Mike McCarthy
- Eric Bienemy (OC KC)
- Dave Toub (STC KC)
- Matt LeFleur (OC TEN)
- Mark Helfrich (OC CHI)
- Vic Fangio (DC CHI) his defenses have been so good in SF & CHI I would want to
see what his offensive philosophy is

Harbaugh and Shaw  teach the traditional pro offense. Today's most innovative minds

have combined it with concepts from the Big 12 air raid offense, that's why Riley is so hot.

Why not try the father of the offense, Mike Leach

Archived