JoJoTownsell1

Chris Herndon- PFF's 5th highest graded TE (all year)

Herndon has been a pleasant surprise all season. I feel that we have something special in him.

• Upvote 1

Guy has made some awesome catches over the last few weeks. His blocking seems to be improving as well. 

Could be one of the Top 10 players at his position within another year or two.

• Upvote 2

Some of his receptions have been just sensational. He can make tough grabs.  Can he become a potent and consistent weapon?

very exciting young player

• Upvote 1

I would love to see the breakdown of how they make these ratings. He has less receiving yards than  a lot of tight ends but still a really high rating. Is this due to putting  up good numbers with less snaps as they worked him into the offense? Is he better at blocking that we thought?

It’s really encouraging and I’m more hopeful than not that maybe he is a solid all-around TE and that’s helping propel him into the top 5 in regards to this rating. 

• Butt Fumble 1

I havent been able to stop talking about Herndon all season and every week he gives me more to talk about. Hands down, the best thing to come out of this season behind only Darnolds development the last few weeks. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would love to see the breakdown of how they make these ratings. He has less receiving yards than  a lot of tight ends but still a really high rating. Is this due to outing up good numbers with less snaps as they worked him into the offense? Is he better at blocking that we thought?

It’s really encouraging and I’m more hopeful than not that maybe he is a solid all-around TE and that’s helping propel him into the top 5 in regards to this rating. 

After not playing week 1, his snap count has been consistently high every week starting with 44 week 2. The fact that he is just slightly behind Ertz is incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would love to see the breakdown of how they make these ratings. He has less receiving yards than  a lot of tight ends but still a really high rating. Is this due to outing up good numbers with less snaps as they worked him into the offense? Is he better at blocking that we thought?

I’m only guessing here, but i’d guess part of it is ratio of catches to targets. I can’t remember many drops or indeed occasions where he was targeted and didn’t make the play. And his catch radius seems to be pretty wide. There’s obviously more to it than that but perhaps he’s just done a top job of maximising his opportunities and temcevthe high rating relative to others with bigger numbers

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Life said:

As a Macc hater I am very happy with this. Its great he finally found a good player. He should be fired still

I don’t understand why hating the GM and wanting change for the betterment of the team, means that we would want our players to fail. It’s incredible how short sighted and blind some people are here. I guess this line of thinking means that we should be upset that Sam is doing well too since it makes Mac look better? That’s ridiculous to think that any fan would feel that way. 

I have ZERO issue with Mac supporters. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. We should all root for every single player even if we want them gone (Leo for example) because it’s possible trade value.

If a coach a GM are obviously ruining a team, we should be vocal about it and want change. We should also still root for/support our players and be hopeful for the future. 

• Upvote 3
  • Butt Fumble 1

The Herndon pick looks like a steal.

We have young players at skill positions on offense that can grow with Darnold. We just need a legit number 1 receiver to pair with Anderson on the outside. Enunwa can play the slot. The offensive line has got to be addressed. Macc has neglected it for years.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He's also an excellent blocker, and a good route runner.  

This isn't a surprise to me.  I'm a Canes fan and was REALLY surprised he was still on the board in the 4th, thought for sure he'd be gone in the late 1st, early second.  He was injured his last year at Miami, guess that caused him to fall.

Guys going to be good for a long time.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I’m only guessing here, but i’d guess part of it is ratio of catches to targets. I can’t remember many drops or indeed occasions where he was targeted and didn’t make the play. And his catch radius seems to be pretty wide. There’s obviously more to it than that but perhaps he’s just done a top job of maximising his opportunities and temcevthe high rating relative to others with bigger numbers

That’s what I’m thinking too. He probably still has less snaps than the full-time starter TEs that began the year playing with more snaps right out of the gate and he has also been awesome at catching.

He’s done more than most with catch rate and production over less snaps. I am just also hoping it’s blocking as well which I haven’t really paid attention to.

• Butt Fumble 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He's also an excellent blocker, and a good route runner.  

This isn't a surprise to me.  I'm a Canes fan and was REALLY surprised he was still on the board in the 4th, thought for sure he'd be gone in the late 1st, early second.  He was injured his last year at Miami, guess that caused him to fall.

Guys going to be good for a long time.

If he is excelling at blocking, we have a gem. I was really worried about him with the DUI and just hope he doesn’t let success go to his head and make bad decisions. He can be a star here with a little more improvement and more chemistry with Sam. 

• Butt Fumble 1

Only would’ve been bettered had the extraordinary Deontay Burnett catch been in bounds, that might’ve eclipsed the famous Backhm catch. I think Burnett and Cannon can develop into good players too
Incredible catch. Cannon has potential, excited about him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Only would’ve been bettered had the extraordinary Deontay Burnett catch been in bounds, that might’ve eclipsed the famous Backhm catch. I think Burnett and Cannon can develop into good players too

Agreed on Cannon. If the jets can find a way to get him the ball in space he can make a big play. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

If he is excelling at blocking, we have a gem. I was really worried about him with the DUI and just hope he doesn’t let success go to his head and make bad decisions. He can be a star here with a little more improvement and more chemistry with Sam. 

The DUI came as a surprise to me, and worried me a bit.  He didn't have a rep as a partier  at the U.  Actually if I remember right he was known as a real quiet dude who just got his job done at a high level week after week.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Herndon went to Miami. DUI's come with your diploma. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Shell says hello.

You can also likely add Jenkins and Edwards (actually late).

Mac has NOT done a great job in later rounds, but to claim he has had only one success is a bit of an over statement. 

Shell is OK.  Jenkins is OK.   They both start because of a lack of other options, and we could certainly upgrade at those spots. 

Herndon is a true hit.   A guy where you can say "OK, we're set at TE1".  Shell and Jenkins aren't in that category. 

And yes, Lac Edwards was a 7th.  I'm talking about that 2-5 range, where a GM is really supposed to make his money. 

• Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

As a Macc hater I am very happy with this. Its great he finally found a good player. He should be fired still

Exactly. 

Dear New GM,

Our old GM hit on a few players (Darnold, Adams and Herndon leading the pack) but his overall draft performance and free agency signings were below average. Because of that he doesn’t deserve another year as GM. A year where his number one concern will be short term success in order to keep his job. That’s a scary way to run any organization - especially a billion dollar one. 

He set you nice with Darnold, we have cap space and a top 3 pick. Have at it and please do better!

• Upvote 1

Mac hater here. Happy as a clam we have a potential tight end that can be a good player for us. 

Also not happy that he’s the only offensive player other than Darnold that is guaranteed to be here next year that is worth building around. 

1 minute ago, Jetmech said:

Incredible catch. Cannon has potential, excited about him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cannon has been a bit disappointing in regular play, keep waiting for that big explosive play he's capable of, just hasn't happened yet.   It will

He has been outstanding on ST's as the gunner since they put him there.  Made 3 or 4 impact plays in the last few weeks.  The foul was , IMO, very ticky tacky.  The guy went down to his knee just as Cannon went to hit him mid section.  

If it wasn't such a good, big hit, don't think the ref would have thrown the flag

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Mac hater here. Happy as a clam we have a potential tight end that can be a good player for us. 

Also not happy that he’s the only offensive player other than Darnold that is guaranteed to be here next year that is worth building around. 

Anderson will be back and so will McGuire.  That's a nice group of young weapons to build around

• Upvote 2

Herndon has been excellent this year. 

The Jets drafted Ardaroius stewart and chad Hansen ahead of kittle. 

The Mac haters always have a rebuttle son.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shell is OK.  Jenkins is OK.   They both start because of a lack of other options, and we could certainly upgrade at those spots. 

Herndon is a true hit.   A guy where you can say "OK, we're set at TE1".  Shell and Jenkins aren't in that category. 

And yes, Lac Edwards was a 7th.  I'm talking about that 2-5 range, where a GM is really supposed to make his money. 

Disagree about Jenkins, He’s absolutely become a quality starter and he has 7 sacks. nobody is giving him much pub or credit but 7 sacks without much opposite him(no dis-respect to Luvu or Copeland)is a fantastic performance. if the Jets ever got an elite edge rusher to compliment him and become the focus of opponents blocking schemes he should only get better(as should the rest of the Defense). Jenkins does the dirty work and is Mr Reliable. You absolutely need those guys on your unit. Call them edge-setters if you like but JJ has proven himself this season as much more than just an edge setter and was outstanding value in Round 3

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Cannon has been a bit disappointing in regular play, keep waiting for that big explosive play he's capable of, just hasn't happened yet.   It will

He has been outstanding on ST's as the gunner since they put him there.  Made 3 or 4 impact plays in the last few weeks.  The foul was , IMO, very ticky tacky.  The guy went down to his knee just as Cannon went to hit him mid section.  

If it wasn't such a good, big hit, don't think the ref would have thrown the flag

Agree about wanting to see some explosive plays from him but we really haven’t schemed him(or anyone for that matter) into space much at all. I love that he will plough headfirst into the pile though, he’s a wee dude but he plays big and the potential is there. Not saying he’s going to be Tyreek Hill but his speed and quickness are evident and he could, if used properly, be a genuine weapon

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Disagree about Jenkins, He’s absolutely become a quality starter and he has 7 sacks. nobody is giving him much pub or credit but 7 sacks without much opposite him(no dis-respect to Luvu or Copeland)is a fantastic performance. if the Jets ever got an elite edge rusher to compliment him and become the focus of opponents blocking schemes he should only get better(as should the rest of the Defense). Jenkins does the dirty work and is Mr Reliable. You absolutely need those guys on your unit. Call them edge-setters if you like but JJ has proven himself this season as much more than just an edge setter and was outstanding value in Round 3

OK then.  2 hits.  He got a Calvin Pace-level player and a top 10 TE.  In 4 years of mid-round picks.  Still not good enough, and us "Macc haters" aren't under-appreciating him or his picks by any measure. 

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The DUI came as a surprise to me, and worried me a bit.  He didn't have a rep as a partier  at the U.  Actually if I remember right he was known as a real quiet dude who just got his job done at a high level week after week.

nevertheless, he will likely begin the season with a 4-game suspension (once the court process is done).  IIRC, his breathalyzer was off the charts, witnesses say he was travelling at least 100 mph and somebody in the yellow vehicle he hit was injured.  (see link to TMZ videos below.  The 2nd one shows one of the field sobriety tests and the arrrest.)

We'll need Leggett to produce in weeks 1-4 next season.  I sure hope Herndon learned his lesson from this.  Obviouly, he's an immature kid who made a huge mistake this time.  As long as it doesn't happen again, he should be forgiven by Jets fans.

1.  https://www.tmz.com/videos/0_i6v8hp78/

• Upvote 1