Rhg1084

Packers interview Jim Caldwell for head coaching vacancy

Oh no! Is this the type of candidates that are out there SMH. This guy is worse than Bowles!! If jets don’t get McCarthy or Harbaugh then who the heck are we gonna get. Another coordinator?!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fusionCA said:

this is a Rooney rule candidate for the Packers

he has not shot of getting the job

Beat me to it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

That sounds pretty racist bro

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Oh no! Is this the type of candidates that are out there SMH. This guy is worse than Bowles!!

He’s twelve games over .500 for his career and has a Super Bowl appearance.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s not racist, it’s an opinion. The Rooney rule mandates that a minority must be interviewed. I also would be surprised if Caldwell is hired by the Packers 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

you mean pretty racist by the Packers?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He’s twelve games over .500 for his career and has a Super Bowl appearance.

He also had a HOF QB. Most HCs would successful with Peyton Manning as QB.

• Upvote 1

The over-analyzer in me says the Packers must know who their 1st choice are and are getting this out of the way so they can pounce quickly after the season.

48 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

He will have company after we fire Bowles.

2 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

LOL

Rooney rule box is now checked.

This makes perfect sense.  Race is no longer an issue in interviewing candidates.  Smart move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Let's just get this out of the way so we can start the search for the guy we really want 

exacltly.  Just getting the Rooney Rule requiremnets over with so it is no longer an issue.  That's a good management decision.

Lets talk coaching candidates without giving our opinions of the Rooney rule. It will just turn this thread into a political discussion and get the thread locked. 

Thanks guys and go Jets. 

• Post of the Week 1

I don’t think Caldwell even fulfills the Rooney Rule anyways. The spirit of the rule was to give up and coming coordinators an interview shot to boost their resume. Not a box to check.

As a former HC, Caldwell fulfilling the Rooney Rule would make it a complete farce.

Caldwell is either the right guy for GB or he’s not. Rooney Rule has nothing to do with it. Or at least it shouldn’t.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I like Caldwell. I prefer him to McCarthy. 

The Jets out coached Caldwell and won a playoff game against him with Mark Sanchez at QB while the Colts were playing at home with Peyton Manning as their QB.  Yeah.  let that sink in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t think Caldwell even fulfills the Rooney Rule anyways. The spirit of the rule was to give up and coming coordinators an interview shot to boost their resume. Not a box to check.

As a former HC, Caldwell fulfilling the Rooney Rule would make it a complete farce.

Caldwell is either the right guy for GB or he’s not. Rooney Rule has nothing to do with it. Or at least it shouldn’t.

agreed.  But nevertheless, under the rules, the Rooney Rule box is now checked. I am too cynical not to think that was a significant motive here.

• Upvote 1

agreed.  But nevertheless, under the rules, the Rooney Rule box is now checked. I am too cynical not to think that was a significant motive here.

Jeez. That’s awful if true. No retread should ever fulfill that requirement.

They also interviewed Pagano, what rule does that satisfy?

34 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

The Jets out coached Caldwell and won a playoff game against him with Mark Sanchez at QB while the Colts were playing at home with Peyton Manning as their QB.  Yeah.  let that sink in.

Not sure what ur point is here.  They did the same thing to brady and bellichek.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

The same thing is true for Belichick and Brady the week after so I’m not sure if your point is valid.

In 4 seasons with the Lions he only put up 1 losing season and went 9-7 after losing Calvin Johnson. 

Caldwell isn’t my first choice but he has a track record of success relative to most coaches available. McCarthy and Caldwell have similar resumes except McCarthy did it with Rodgers at QB while Caldwell did it with Stafford/ 1 season of a fully functioning Manning.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Oh no! Is this the type of candidates that are out there SMH. This guy is worse than Bowles!! If jets don’t get McCarthy or Harbaugh then who the heck are we gonna get. Another coordinator?!!

Youre out of your mind if you believe for a second that hes worse than Bowles

• Upvote 1

This is why you fire a busted HC mid-season.  The Packers are already starting their HC search and have knocked off the Rooney Rule.

Maybe the Jets get a pass on the Rooney Rule since Bowles has been HC for four years?

Green Bay is the dream HC job for a real football person.  I would expect that they have first dibs on whomever they want.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is why you fire a busted HC mid-season.  The Packers are already starting their HC search and have knocked off the Rooney Rule.

Maybe the Jets get a pass on the Rooney Rule since Bowles has been HC for four years?

Green Bay is the dream HC job for a real football person.  I would expect that they have first dibs on whomever they want.  

I dont know about you but I'm not worried that they got a 1 week head start in interviewing Caldwell. 

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

Well, there it is.