Miami to move on from Tannehill

Rhg1084

Close to 100 million contract with the recent restructure. Two ACL's since 2016 and about 26 million per the next two years.

If their intention is to tank then they should cut him if not getting rid of him is dumb considering who is out there on FA market.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Kirk Cousins-itis.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile

Cousins is a lot better than Tannehill but I get the point.

22 hours ago, jamesr said:

Bortles wasn't why they sucked - but at the same time he couldn't do enough to offset the issues around them. And they've always played around him rather than through him, never trusting him to win them games (with good reason).

If they can get their D back up to scratch (or at least decent) and have a healthy year from Fournette, they'll go much further with a Flacco type of QB rather than Bortles.

Bortles is like most QBs in this league, he needs help to succeed.  Bortles is basically a younger, more athletic Eli Manning.  When things are almost perfect around them they succeed but if not they fail.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Cousins is a lot better than Tannehill but I get the point.

Bortles is like most QBs in this league, he needs help to succeed.  Bortles is basically a younger, more athletic Eli Manning.  When things are almost perfect around them they succeed but if not they fail.

Bortles is no Eli.

Eli has had great years, he's had so-so and even lousy years, but from his third year on he's clearly had the ability to lay the ball out there perfectly for the receiver a good percentage of the time.  Timely accuracy leads to big plays that make successful years.  Neither Bortles nor Tannehill has shown that accuracy.  It makes Eli frequently dangerous in a way Bortles or Tannehill have never been.

4 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Bortles is no Eli.

Eli has had great years, he's had so-so and even lousy years, but from his third year on he's clearly had the ability to lay the ball out there perfectly for the receiver a good percentage of the time.  Timely accuracy leads to big plays that make successful years.  Neither Bortles nor Tannehill has shown that accuracy.  It makes Eli frequently dangerous in a way Bortles or Tannehill have never been.

Eli has never been great and bortles and Eli's numbers are very similar at the same stage despite Eli playing with much better talent.

Eli spent most of his career throwing the ball up for grabs with excellent receivers hauling them in.  Something's it worked and something's he threw INTs.  He always threw a million INTs until recently when he started taking sacks instead of throwing INTs and the football world then determined it was all the fault of his OL rather than his slow, poor decision making

On 12/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, kelticwizard said:

Giants don't usually bring in mediocre stopgaps.  When things go bad, they draft a new QB.

Exceptions might be Foles, who has had up-and-down regular seasons but now has shone brightly in two relief stints including a Super Bowl victory, and Carr, who is still young and has shown ability.  I don't see Tannehill going to the Giants.

Kerry Collins says Hi!

12 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Eli has never been great and bortles and Eli's numbers are very similar at the same stage despite Eli playing with much better talent.

Eli spent most of his career throwing the ball up for grabs with excellent receivers hauling them in.  Something's it worked and something's he threw INTs.  He always threw a million INTs until recently when he started taking sacks instead of throwing INTs and the football world then determined it was all the fault of his OL rather than his slow, poor decision making

Uh-huh.

When you can describe a scenario where somehow Blake Bortles improves his game to where he  wins four games on the road to win the Super Bowl twice, I'll take seriously comparisons between Eli and Bortles.  Not before.  Bortles might be nearing the end of his career right now.  And I've never heard anyone say that Bortles can amaze you sometimes with the accuracy of his throws.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:14 AM, kelticwizard said:

Uh-huh.

When you can describe a scenario where somehow Blake Bortles improves his game to where he  wins four games on the road to win the Super Bowl twice, I'll take seriously comparisons between Eli and Bortles.  Not before.  Bortles might be nearing the end of his career right now.  And I've never heard anyone say that Bortles can amaze you sometimes with the accuracy of his throws.

Blake Bortles won 2 games on the road last year including one where his defense allowed 42 points.  Eli Manning has NEVER won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 points.

Bortles has played 74 games

1546-2604, 59.4%, 17539 yds, 103 TDs, 74 INTs, 81 rating

Eli's first 74 games:

1296-2313, 56%, 14879 yds, 99 TDs, 75 INTs, 76.3 rating

It's eerie how similar they are, the biggest difference is the Giants had MUCH more talent around the QB than Jacksonville had.

First 3 playoff games:

Bortles: 49-85, 594, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 91 rating.  Led O to 22.7 PPG

Eli: 46-72, 459 yds, 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 77.2 rating.  Led O to 14.7 PPG

this doesn't include rush yds.

Bortles 277 carries, 1760 yds w/ 8 TDs(6.4 YPC).  playoffs 17 carries for 121 yds(7.1 YPC)

Eli  112 carries, 212 yds w/ 3 TDs(1.9 YPC).  Playoffs 20 carries for 45 yds(2.3 YPC)

Bortles is just Eli w/ legs

And without Super Bowl championship seasons.  You just can't take a Borles whose stats are somewhat similar to a player who had trouble early in his career, (Eli), and declare that because Eli went on to win two Super Bowls, so would have Bortles.

But I'm sure that is exactly what you will say, in one form or another, for the rest of the thread.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:49 AM, nyjunc said:

Blake Bortles won 2 games on the road last year including one where his defense allowed 42 points.  Eli Manning has NEVER won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 points.

Bortles has played 74 games

1546-2604, 59.4%, 17539 yds, 103 TDs, 74 INTs, 81 rating

Eli's first 74 games:

1296-2313, 56%, 14879 yds, 99 TDs, 75 INTs, 76.3 rating

It's eerie how similar they are, the biggest difference is the Giants had MUCH more talent around the QB than Jacksonville had.

First 3 playoff games:

Bortles: 49-85, 594, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 91 rating.  Led O to 22.7 PPG

Eli: 46-72, 459 yds, 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 77.2 rating.  Led O to 14.7 PPG

this doesn't include rush yds.

Bortles 277 carries, 1760 yds w/ 8 TDs(6.4 YPC).  playoffs 17 carries for 121 yds(7.1 YPC)

Eli  112 carries, 212 yds w/ 3 TDs(1.9 YPC).  Playoffs 20 carries for 45 yds(2.3 YPC)

Bortles is just Eli w/ legs

These are very interesting statistics.  That's a pretty heavy indictment on Eli.

Thank you.  I'm now going to share this with several of my Giants fan friends and tell them they'd be smart to make a move for Blake Bortles as he's a younger version of Eli...."with legs."  :D

On 12/28/2018 at 7:59 AM, nyjunc said:

correct or a guy like Eli the last few years.  He's put up the best #s of his career but he's been atrocious.

The giants lose because their defense stinks and their OL can’t protect Eli he is the least of their issues

43 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The giants lose because their defense stinks and their OL can’t protect Eli he is the least of their issues

Uh, yeah that's it.  Never mind they have changed coaches, players, GM and the results stay the same because they don't change the QB.  

The OL looks like it can't protect because the QB can't make decisions and now he takes sacks rather than throw INTs like he used to 

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

And without Super Bowl championship seasons.  You just can't take a Borles whose stats are somewhat similar to a player who had trouble early in his career, (Eli), and declare that because Eli went on to win two Super Bowls, so would have Bortles.

But I'm sure that is exactly what you will say, in one form or another, for the rest of the thread.

Eli won two SBs because his defense played extraordinary defense.  Eli has never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20 pts, last yr at Pittsburgh bortles won a playoff game when his D allowed 42.

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Eli won two SBs because his defense played extraordinary defense.  Eli has never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20 pts, last yr at Pittsburgh bortles won a playoff game when his D allowed 42.

And yet, oddly, Eli in 2008 became the first QB to throw two go-ahead TDs in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl.  And the Giants defense gave up 274 yards to the Patriots, but Eli's offense made 338 yards.  Oh yeah, I can really see Bortles doing this.

Next.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:31 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Flacco is basically what Eli is though -- a statue behind a bad o-line.

Tannehill actually makes a ton of sense for them as a bridge if they do move on from Eli.

Tannehill will easily land with another NFL team next year.

7 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

And yet, oddly, Eli in 2008 became the first QB to throw two go-ahead TDs in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl.  And the Giants defense gave up 274 yards to the Patriots, but Eli's offense made 338 yards.  Oh yeah, I can really see Bortles doing this.

Next.

he had an easy INT dropped that would have ended the game then had a ball stick to a helmet on a hail mary type throw but that was all the skill of Eli, right? 

You can give me whatever yards you want, The Patriots averaged 38 PPG that season(around 36 or so after taking out D/STs scores) and the Giants D held them to 14 points. It wasn't just the SBs it was throughout each postseason game in both runs against top QBs like Romo, Ryan, Favre and league MVPs Brady and Rodgers not to mention Alex Smith who, a week before the giant game, led his O to 36 pts on the same field. 

Bortles won a playoff game on the road where his D allowed 42 points., That is more than double any amount the giants D gave up where Eli won.  w/o GREAT defense Eli didn't stand a chance to win in postseason.  Eli played w/ much more talented teams than Bortles ever played with.  Put him or a million other different mediocre QBs on those Giants teams and the results are same.  Give them good QBs and the results are different as the team wins more in the reg season and the games aren't as close in the playoffs.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, kelticwizard said:

Giants don't usually bring in mediocre stopgaps.  When things go bad, they draft a new QB.

Exceptions might be Foles, who has had up-and-down regular seasons but now has shone brightly in two relief stints including a Super Bowl victory, and Carr, who is still young and has shown ability.  I don't see Tannehill going to the Giants.

Btw Simms and Eli they brought in Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner(who everyone thought was done at that point in his career). 

Things went badly for the current Giants QB about 6-7 years ago, they should have moved on at least 3-4 years ago but did not and it cost Coughlin and McAdoo their jobs along w/ Reese and it will cost Gettleman and Schurmur their jobs too if they stick w/ Eli.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Bortles won a playoff game on the road where his D allowed 42 points., That is more than double any amount the giants D gave up where Eli won. 

Well that certainly overbalances two Super Bowl victory runs on the road all the way, culminating with two out of two victories over the QB some tout as the greatest of all time, the last victory  against a then-undefeated team being hailed as the greatest assemblage of football players and coaches in history.  Why, Eli's being the first Super Bowl quarterback throwing two go ahead touchdowns in the final quarter to obtain the victory is as nothing as the performance of the great Bortles.

This board is indeed blessed to have posters who can see right through the muck into the essentials such as yourself.

19 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Well that certainly overbalances two Super Bowl victory runs on the road all the way, culminating with two out of two victories over the QB some tout as the greatest of all time, the last victory  against a then-undefeated team being hailed as the greatest assemblage of football players and coaches in history.  Why, Eli's being the first Super Bowl quarterback throwing two go ahead touchdowns in the final quarter to obtain the victory is as nothing as the performance of the great Bortles.

This board is indeed blessed to have posters who can see right through the muck into the essentials such as yourself.

In 2 conf championship games and 2 SBs Eli led his offenses to 20, 17, 17 & 19 points in regulation and won all 4. in both con championship games the GW FG in OT was set up by a TO that set the Giants up in FG range to win the games but please keep telling me how Eli was crucial to those runs b/c a ball stuck to a helmet and Wes Welker dropped a game clinching reception. 

Eli made a perfect throw to Manningham in the last SB to get that TD drive going but if the giants don't play incredible D they don't have a chance to win- same thing w/ SB XLII.  Those Ds not only shut down some of the great Os and greatest QBs of all time but they also created a million TOs and still Eli could only lead his Os to more than 24 points just ONE time.

7 TOs forced in 4 games in '07 run

7 TOs forced in 4 games in '11 run

almost 2 TOs per game, the only game they didn't create a TO was the Atlanta game where the D SHUT OUT Matt Ryan and Atlanta

In the 4 one and done playoff losses for the great Eli his D/STs create a grand total of TWO TOs.  If things weren't perfect around Eli he had no shot.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

In 2 conf championship games and 2 SBs Eli led his offenses to 20, 17, 17 & 19 points in regulation and won all 4. in both con championship games the GW FG in OT was set up by a TO that set the Giants up in FG range to win the games but please keep telling me how Eli was crucial to those runs b/c a ball stuck to a helmet and Wes Welker dropped a game clinching reception. 

Eli made a perfect throw to Manningham in the last SB to get that TD drive going but if the giants don't play incredible D they don't have a chance to win- same thing w/ SB XLII.  Those Ds not only shut down some of the great Os and greatest QBs of all time but they also created a million TOs and still Eli could only lead his Os to more than 24 points just ONE time.

7 TOs forced in 4 games in '07 run

7 TOs forced in 4 games in '11 run

almost 2 TOs per game, the only game they didn't create a TO was the Atlanta game where the D SHUT OUT Matt Ryan and Atlanta

In the 4 one and done playoff losses for the great Eli his D/STs create a grand total of TWO TOs.  If things weren't perfect around Eli he had no shot.

any football fan who isnt a dolt knows this...  but tryna convince a friggin Eli Manning fan? you'll die trying. for your won sake, just don't bother.

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

In 2 conf championship games and 2 SBs Eli led his offenses to 20, 17, 17 & 19 points in regulation and won all 4.

Yes,  they won.  Under Eli.  And your point IS?  :roll:

in both con championship games the GW FG in OT was set up by a TO that set the Giants up in FG range to win the games but please keep telling me how Eli was crucial to those runs b/c a ball stuck to a helmet

Really, how many times does this have to be drilled into your heads?  It is a catch if the ball is held between a hand and any part of the uniform.  That includes the jersey, the belt, the pants, the helmet.  Got it now, or will that require a couple of more decades for you to absorb?

Oh, and I do recall some small maneuvering to escape tackles before Eli got free for that pass, let me see:

Aaah, the wonders of YouTube.  Sure, every game QBs shake themselves free from several linemen holding them to get the ball downfield, right?  It's a miracle Eli wasn't sacked.  And yet no mention of that from you-why would that be, with the game so indelibly etched into your mind and all? 

Face it, it was a spectacular play by Eli and a spectacular play by Tyree-a case study of a QB raising the level of the players on his team to match him.

Oh yes, I can easily see Bortles doing something like this.....

6 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Yes,  they won.  Under Eli.  And your point IS?  :roll:

Really, how many times does this have to be drilled into your heads?  It is a catch if the ball is held between a hand and any part of the uniform.  That includes the jersey, the belt, the pants, the helmet.  Got it now, or will that require a couple of more decades for you to absorb?

Oh, and I do recall some small maneuvering to escape tackles before Eli got free for that pass, let me see:

Aaah, the wonders of YouTube.  Sure, every game QBs shake themselves free from several linemen holding them to get the ball downfield, right?  It's a miracle Eli wasn't sacked.  And yet no mention of that from you-why would that be, with the game so indelibly etched into your mind and all? 

Face it, it was a spectacular play by Eli and a spectacular play by Tyree-a case study of a QB raising the level of the players on his team to match him.

Oh yes, I can easily see Bortles doing something like this.....

He threw essentially a hail mary and the ball stuck to a helmet.  Stop it. The scramble to stay alive was nice(though he could have bee ruled down) and yeah I'm sure the much more mobile, much stronger Bortles couldn't keep a play alive w/ his legs.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:19 AM, nyjunc said:

He threw essentially a hail mary and the ball stuck to a helmet.  Stop it.

NO.  Whatcha gonna do about it?

KEAURYb.jpg

I'm sure the much more mobile, much stronger Bortles couldn't keep a play alive w/ his legs.

I'm even more sure Bortles couldn't be anywhere near the Super Bowl to begin with.  Unlike Eli, twice

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

NO.  Whatcha gonna do about it?

KEAURYb.jpg

I'm even more sure Bortles couldn't be anywhere near the Super Bowl to begin with.  Unlike Eli, twice

He was in an AFC championship game last year, that's close to a SB, right?  He led his O to more points against NE than Eli did in either game against them.  This was after winning a road div Rd game when his D allowed 42 pts.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

He might get a starting job.  If the giants draft a qb at 6 I could see them bringing in tannehill as a bridge for a year or two.

He is not a franchise qb but he could be a bridge or hold the fort type guy.

C61FAED6-D1CD-4443-BA09-A9ACC35967DD.jpeg

Archived