Miami to move on from Tannehill

Rhg1084

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He [Bortles] was in an AFC championship game last year, that's close to a SB, right? 

In what way?  Unless you win, you still can't get into the Super Bowl without a ticket.

He [Bortles] led his O to more points against NE than Eli did in either game against them.

You have a wonderful Twilight Zoney consciousness where separate seasons, separate years, who won and who lost all fall into a deep obscure mist and all that matters is one team scored more points against the Patriots in some past game which was not enough for them to win, but was more than the points Eli's team scored to win the Super Bowl against the Patriots when Eli's team did win.

You seem to feel strongly this proves something.  The rest of us can only marvel at the wonder of it all.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:07 AM, nyjunc said:

Btw Simms and Eli they brought in Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner(who everyone thought was done at that point in his career). 

Things went badly for the current Giants QB about 6-7 years ago, they should have moved on at least 3-4 years ago but did not and it cost Coughlin and McAdoo their jobs along w/ Reese and it will cost Gettleman and Schurmur their jobs too if they stick w/ Eli.

Why would the giants want Tannehill?  Eli is still a way better player and there will be better free agent qbs available as backups 

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

Tannehill is this generation’s Vinny Teataverde he will revitalise a franchise and then probably break its fans’ hearts with a terribly-timed injury 

Jameis Winston actually is more comparable to Vinny.  Tannehill is a glorified Trent Edwards

12 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

In what way?  Unless you win, you still can't get into the Super Bowl without a ticket.

You have a wonderful Twilight Zoney consciousness where separate seasons, separate years, who won and who lost all fall into a deep obscure mist and all that matters is one team scored more points against the Patriots in some past game which was not enough for them to win, but was more than the points Eli's team scored to win the Super Bowl against the Patriots when Eli's team did win.

You seem to feel strongly this proves something.  The rest of us can only marvel at the wonder of it all.

So playing in a conference championship game is not close to reaching the super bowl?

The Giants won because Eli's D played incredible football.  He won 2 title games and 2 SBs without ever leading his O to more than 20 pts in regulation.  I doubt that has happened many times in history and 2x Eli was able to win conf titles and SBs without leading O to more than 20 in regulation.

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why would the giants want Tannehill?  Eli is still a way better player and there will be better free agent qbs available as backups 

I didn't say they would but I would disagree Eli is better, Eli isn't better than any other starters currently.  Both Eli and tannehill are bottom rung starters

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

So playing in a conference championship game is not close to reaching the super bowl?

Let's put it this way-it's not nearly the same importance as actually winning the Super Bowl.  If winning a regular season game is a one and winning the Super Bowl is a ten, losing a conference championship game is a three.

He won 2 title games and 2 SBs without ever leading his O to more than 20 pts in regulation.  I doubt that has happened many times in history and 2x Eli was able to win conf titles and SBs without leading O to more than 20 in regulation.

Any more obscure statistics and weird qualifications you care to come up with?  Eli went to two Super Bowls and won two Super Bowls, the second of which was against a team with a perfect record that the media had already dubbed The Greatest Of All Time.  They were the Greatest Of All Time until Eli led the Giants to two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter, something never done before.  If Bortles somehow finds something and elevates his game in the future, more power to him.  But as of right now, I don't see Bortles winning any Super Bowls.  I'm not sure I see Bortles in the NFL a couple of years from now even.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:23 AM, kelticwizard said:

Sez you.

I would bet a lot more than me, the only team that appears to believe in Eli appears to be the Giants and it has resulted in missing the playoffs 8 of 10 seasons and the firing of multiple HCs and a GM w/ more to come if they hold onto him.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:39 AM, kelticwizard said:

Let's put it this way-it's not nearly the same importance as actually winning the Super Bowl.  If winning a regular season game is a one and winning the Super Bowl is a ten, losing a conference championship game is a three.

Any more obscure statistics and weird qualifications you care to come up with?  Eli went to two Super Bowls and won two Super Bowls, the second of which was against a team with a perfect record that the media had already dubbed The Greatest Of All Time.  They were the Greatest Of All Time until Eli led the Giants to two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter, something never done before.  If Bortles somehow finds something and elevates his game in the future, more power to him.  But as of right now, I don't see Bortles winning any Super Bowls.  I'm not sure I see Bortles in the NFL a couple of years from now even.

Your quote was something like he never got close to a SB, you didn't say he never made one.  He was close to one just last year and, unlike Eli in his 2 SB years, his D let him down.

The first was against the undefeated Pats that averaged 38 PPG and were held to 14.

If Eli's STs/Ds didn't do what they did Eli would have been gone from the Giants a long time ago.  the perception you "led" a team to SBs is great for job security.  Eli has been mediocre at best the majority of his career, he was fortunate to play during those 2 runs where his D played lights out against great offenses.

Archived