Coaching Candidate Jim Schwartz switches from 3-4 to 4-3

32EBoozer

I like Schwartz and before you kill me, the purpose of this post is to see if we would be better served moving to a 4-3 ?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/24/jim-schwartz-turned-eagles-defense-into-one-of-nfls-best/109778858/

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Jim Schwartz inherited one of the NFL's worst defenses and turned them into one of the best in less than two years.

When coach Doug Pederson hired Schwartz to be the defensive coordinator in 2016, the Philadelphia Eagles were coming off three straight seasons ranked in the bottom four in yards allowed.

Schwartz changed the scheme back to a 4-3 base and rebuilt the defense using many of the same players left from the old regime. He also brought a swagger that's reflected in his players.

Three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, two-time Pro Bowl safety Malcolm Jenkins, defensive linemen Brandon Graham and Beau Allen, and linebacker Mychal Kendricks were part of the unit that struggled under former coach Chip Kelly and former defensive coordinator Billy Davis.

But they've thrived under Schwartz because his system fits their skills.

"He always puts us in great position to make plays," Jenkins said.

Schwartz made an immediate impact last season, helping the defense go from 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points to 13th and 12th, respectively.

This season, they ranked fourth in both categories and had the league's No. 1 run defense.

While Minnesota's top-ranked defense got most of the attention, Philadelphia's unit has been excellent in the playoffs.

The Eagles have allowed only 17 points in two games — one touchdown drive was 18 yards following a fumbled punt. They dominated the Vikings in a 38-7 win in the NFC championship game last Sunday.

Now, Schwartz has to devise a plan to stop Tom Brady and the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

"No player stands on his own," Schwartz said. "The NFL in general, but particularly the Patriots, you can't scheme for one player. If you do, then they have plenty of other players that can make plays. You have to do a good job against their entire offense, and you can't really make it about one person."

Schwartz began his NFL coaching career in Cleveland as a research assistant for Bill Belichick in 1993. After three seasons with the Browns, he spent three years as outside linebackers coach in Baltimore and then went to Tennessee. Schwartz served 10 seasons with the Titans, the last eight as defensive coordinator.

He coached the Detroit Lions for five seasons, leading them to the playoffs in 2011. Schwartz was Doug Marrone's defensive coordinator in Buffalo in 2014, worked as a consultant for the NFL's officiating department in 2015 and came to Philadelphia after Pederson was hired to replace Kelly.

"I owe a lot to Bill Belichick. He got my career started," Schwartz said. "That's the last thing that we'll be thinking about in preparation. You think any of our players care that in 1993 I got hired as an unpaid intern? They are just going out and playing.

"We need to come up with a good plan. We need to execute. We need to keep in mind what we're good at, keep in mind our matchups and all those different things. And if we do a good enough job at that, we'll be able to come out with a victory."

Schwartz holds players accountable in meetings, singling guys out if they make mistakes. But he does it in a way where he doesn't alienate them.

"He cares about winning. That's what he's all about, not himself," defensive end Chris Long said.

Despite Schwartz's success in Philadelphia, he won't be leaving for another head coaching job just yet. The New York Giants and Arizona Cardinals were interested, but Schwartz wouldn't confirm whether he interviewed with either team.

"I think it's not fair to our players or anything else to talk about anything else," Schwartz said.

Jim Schwartz is my favorite candidate the guy has had solid defenses everywhere he went and most of our talent is on defense. I don't think we sign the guy I have a feeling we will be focusing on an offensive mind to help Darnold but I think Schwartz will get a shot somewhere and will be successful where he goes. Would love to see the browns or Broncos sign him if we don't.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Jim Schwartz has been an unmitigated disaster this year in Philly. Just look at the 4th quarter leads his defenses have given up. He arguably has one of the best defensive lines, and has not been able to parlay that into a strong defense. Granted, he has been stung by an injury depleted backfield.

Big pass on me on Schwartz

He's an impressive individual, If he were to be considered, he would have to have a young & gifted Offensive minded coordinator already agreeing to be his OC for me to give him the keys.

On the other hand, If we hired a Lincoln Reilly or other college offensive genious, they would need to identify a strong Defensive Coordinator to bring in.

We need to NAIL this !!!

Schwartz was born just outside Baltimore, Maryland, and attended Mount Saint Joseph High School, an all-male Catholic school, where he played football.[2] Schwartz was a four-year letterman at linebacker for the Hoyas of Georgetown University, where he earned his degree in economics. He received Distinguished Economics Graduate honors[3] at Georgetown and earned numerous honors in 1988, including Division III CoSIDA/GTE Academic All-America, All-America, and team captain.

I like that he chased down Jim Harbaugh & gave him a piece of his mind after a game in which Harbaugh pulled a sh*t move. I don't even remember what happened but Schwartz wasn't gonna let him just trot off without a sendoff of expletives I'm sure.

I've said it for some time now: IF the Jets don't switch to a 4-3 defense, then there is NO POINT in keeping Darron Lee and Leonard Williams and might as well flip Leo for a 2nd round pick and Lee for a 5th rounder. 

a 4-3 scheme is a better fit for out "1st round defensive talent" that has underwhelmed and played out of position in TB's 3-4 defense. Jordan Jenkins would be the odd man out or have to play with his hand in the gourd. 

Yes, we'd definitely be better off. Anderson on one side, Leo at the 3, get a good nose, draft a pass rusher. 

IMO, basing out of anything other than a 4-3 Over / 2-High 4-2-5 in today's NFL, is playing with fire. That's just your base. Obviously, you can still run stack, dime, 46, have a 3-4 package, etc. 

I wouldn't really love Schwartz as a HC candidate, as I definitely agree with the concept of going more offense focused.

In terms of the original question of 3-4 vs 4-3, I don't think it would be any big difference-maker for the Jets either way, simply because the situation of what would need to be addressed wouldn't change at all: they'd still need a legitimate pass-rusher.  Whether that player were to stand up or put his hand in the dirt is pretty irrelevant at this point.  The only theoretical benefit that comes along with the 3-4 is given the volume of big-bodied DL they currently have, as those would all obviously be less utilized if now you're talking about having only 2 of them on the field at a time.  That said, I don't think it's a deal-breaker if a coach wanted to switch either, given most of those guys are likely not to stick around and/or haven't done anything worth planning your entire defense around.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I like that he chased down Jim Harbaugh & gave him a piece of his mind after a game in which Harbaugh pulled a sh*t move. I don't even remember what happened but Schwartz wasn't gonna let him just trot off without a sendoff of expletives I'm sure.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Love him as a DC, not sold on him as an OC. His time in Detroit was a mess. 

maybe but detroit is probably the one team more dysfunctional than the jets.  i forget who the qb was when that team made the playoffs under schwartz but i doubt if he was any good.

52 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I wouldn't really love Schwartz as a HC candidate, as I definitely agree with the concept of going more offense focused.

In terms of the original question of 3-4 vs 4-3, I don't think it would be any big difference-maker for the Jets either way, simply because the situation of what would need to be addressed wouldn't change at all: they'd still need a legitimate pass-rusher.  Whether that player were to stand up or put his hand in the dirt is pretty irrelevant at this point.  The only theoretical benefit that comes along with the 3-4 is given the volume of big-bodied DL they currently have, as those would all obviously be less utilized if now you're talking about having only 2 of them on the field at a time.  That said, I don't think it's a deal-breaker if a coach wanted to switch either, given most of those guys are likely not to stick around and/or haven't done anything worth planning your entire defense around.

I disagree. 

Switch to a 4-3 and Leo Williams would be UNBLOCK-ABLE and create CONSTANT and INSTANT push up the pocket due to his speed. Centers and Guards WILL NOT be able to block him, the OTs have to account for the outside Blitzing - Jamal/Lee? -  so Leo would have the mismatch and simply speed rush to the QB overtime. Williams would FINALLY be the Pass rusher he is capable of being in the CORRECT defensive scheme. JMO. 

I've said it for some time now: IF the Jets don't switch to a 4-3 defense, then there is NO POINT in keeping Darron Lee and Leonard Williams and might as well flip Leo for a 2nd round pick and Lee for a 5th rounder. 
a 4-3 scheme is a better fit for out "1st round defensive talent" that has underwhelmed and played out of position in TB's 3-4 defense. Jordan Jenkins would be the odd man out or have to play with his hand in the gourd. 
Come on now most people overvalue players but Lee is worth more than a fifth.

44 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I disagree. 

Switch to a 4-3 and Leo Williams would be UNBLOCK-ABLE and create CONSTANT and INSTANT push up the pocket due to his speed. Centers and Guards WILL NOT be able to block him, the OTs have to account for the outside Blitzing - Jamal/Lee? -  so Leo would have the mismatch and simply speed rush to the QB overtime. Williams would FINALLY be the Pass rusher he is capable of being in the CORRECT defensive scheme. JMO. 

I certainly won't disagree at all that it's possible, but I'm not entirely certain of it either.  It's not like the Jets aren't frequently bringing at least one of the OLBs on a rush, plus those very same blitzers.  Even if so, a more aggressive 3-4 front could likely help find Williams in similar circumstances as you described.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even slightly opposed to the 4-3 switch, but I simply think it's not likely to be as much of a difference-maker that it should in any way influence the coaching decisions the Jets make.

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jim Schwartz has been an unmitigated disaster this year in Philly. Just look at the 4th quarter leads his defenses have given up. He arguably has one of the best defensive lines, and has not been able to parlay that into a strong defense. Granted, he has been stung by an injury depleted backfield.

Big pass on me on Schwartz

With a secondary decimated by his injury.   

9 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

4-3 would give us more places to put all the DT's Mac is going to pick up in next years draft.

Why is it with this line and thinking it's funny?  He's drafted one DL in 4 years.  What's next the S jokes? 

12 hours ago, freestater said:

This is the one defensive guy I wouldn't mind seeing. I think his offense would be aggressive. I'd be fine giving him his 2nd shot at HC

12 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Jim Schwartz is my favorite candidate the guy has had solid defenses everywhere he went and most of our talent is on defense. I don't think we sign the guy I have a feeling we will be focusing on an offensive mind to help Darnold but I think Schwartz will get a shot somewhere and will be successful where he goes. Would love to see the browns or Broncos sign him if we don't.

I like Schwartz as well. Love to see him get his 2nd chance here with us.

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jim Harbaugh ..... ultimate DBag hated by most.

19 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I disagree. 

While I agree with some of this, I will say that even fronts don't really scare linemen in passing protection. Plenty of stuff you can do when the defense sends 6. Dual read, keep the back in, throw hot, big on big. 

What's really scary for linemen in protection is odd stack fronts. Still easily picked up with dual reading guards, but a lot more uncertainty. 

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why is it with this line and thinking it's funny?  He's drafted one DL in 4 years.  What's next the S jokes? 

I took it as a comment about the make ups of the draft itself and Macc's propensity to take BPA. Sorta funny no? 

I think switching to a 4-3 would benefit Leo a ton. Shep can also hold up at the NT in a 4-3. He’s a strong kid. We can have a strong interior rotation of Leo, Shep, Anderson, and Pennel.

We would still have a problem at edge. But at least with a 4-man front, the interior defenders can be more productive and stay fresh all game. 

My ideal situation is to get a good offensive minded HC and a DC who switches us to a 4-3.

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

Freddie Kitchens + Shwartz

Works for me! 

I assume you mean Schwartz as HC and Kitchens as OC. That would be a lateral move for Kitchens unless he loses his job if Williams is replaced. I have been trumpeting Kitchens for HC and would LOVE Schwartz as a DC (again a lateral) but that's a pipe dream. 

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That's completely untrue, considering he drafted two this year alone, and traded a pick for a third.

That said, the comment goes back to Maccagnan's very first pick, when he opted to draft DT despite it being considered the one and only position of strength on the entire Jets' roster at that time.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's completely untrue, considering he drafted two this year alone, and traded a pick for a third.

That said, the comment goes back to Maccagnan's very first pick, when he opted to draft DT despite it being considered the one and only position of strength on the entire Jets' roster at that time.

Don’t worry Mac will only repeatbthe mistake again this year and take a DT again over Josh Allen like he did when he took a pass on Vic Beasley 

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

At the top of the draft?  It's totally true.  

No one, anywhere complained that we took Williams.  No one complained that he was a DT and not needed.  He was hailed as maybe the best player in the draft who luckily fell to us.  

Time has a habit of changing everything. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

I assume you mean Schwartz as HC and Kitchens as OC. That would be a lateral move for Kitchens unless he loses his job if Williams is replaced. I have been trumpeting Kitchens for HC and would LOVE Schwartz as a DC (again a lateral) but that's a pipe dream. 

The Kitchens love fest is getting ridiculous.  The guy will have 8 games of coordinating experience on his resume after this week, and was completely unknown before that, mostly as a nondescript position coach in college or Arizona.  Any team considering him as a head coach right now would have to be absolutely insane.

Archived