Coaching Candidate Jim Schwartz switches from 3-4 to 4-3

32EBoozer

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

At the top of the draft?  It's totally true.  

No one, anywhere complained that we took Williams.  No one complained that he was a DT and not needed.  He was hailed as maybe the best player in the draft who luckily fell to us.  

Time has a habit of changing everything. 

So it's true just as long as you add your own random qualifier to it?  You're kind of proving the point.

Your excuses don't change the fact that references to Maccagnan over-investing in interior DL are based in reality.  Sorry if that's so unacceptable to you.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Kitchens love fest is getting ridiculous.  The guy will have 8 games of coordinating experience on his resume after this week, and was completely unknown before that, mostly as a nondescript position coach in college or Arizona.  Any team considering him as a head coach right now would have to be absolutely insane.

It seems to me he has pretty good resume and has worked under several noteworthy coaches:

Starting QB for the Crimson Tide from 1993 to 1997 (3 years under Gene Stallings)

Grad assistant on Nick Saban’s LSU staff in 2000

TE coach (including Jason Witten) in 2006 on Bill Parcells’ Dallas staff.

Worked 11 years in Arizona under Ken Whisenhunt and Bruce Arians.

QB coach for Carson Palmer’s four Arizona seasons. 

Current Cleveland OC

He is a tough, no-nonsense type coach, rather than a player's coach. I think that's just what the Jets need right now. Admittedly he has little coordinating experience, though that doesn't always guarantee success. He is an "out of box" choice, but I think his background would make for an excellent HC. At least, give him an interview to see what he brings to the table.

4 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

It seems to me he has pretty good resume and has worked under several noteworthy coaches:

Starting QB for the Crimson Tide from 1993 to 1997 (3 years under Gene Stallings)

Grad assistant on Nick Saban’s LSU staff in 2000

TE coach (including Jason Witten) in 2006 on Bill Parcells’ Dallas staff.

Worked 11 years in Arizona under Ken Whisenhunt and Bruce Arians.

QB coach for Carson Palmer’s four Arizona seasons. 

Current Cleveland OC

He is a tough, no-nonsense type coach, rather than a player's coach. I think that's just what the Jets need right now. Admittedly he has little coordinating experience, though that doesn't always guarantee success. He is an "out of box" choice, but I think his background would make for an excellent HC. At least, give him an interview to see what he brings to the table.

Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend to know more than anyone else about him, and there's a very real chance he can turn out to be a good one, but I just think there's far too little to work off of right now.  It would be a very serious gamble for any team to go all in on him that quickly.  Just consider that, given his extremely short coordinating resume, he literally has never had to deal with even a single offseason of opposing team's evaluating the tape and adjusting to his tendencies, and see what he does on his end to account for that.

Just think about the number of times we've seen that "hot" new coordinator who looks like an absolute genius and is highly touted in his first year calling plays, only to completely implode after that, when unable to account for when opposing team's having adjusted to what he's done.  These are the kind of guys who ultimately fail as coordinators, never mind head coaches.  I mean hell, we got a front row seat to that in Schottenheimer, who was highly touted after his first year as Jets' OC and talked about as a future HC candidate, and then was an unmitigated disaster throughout the rest of his time here, and then with the Rams, only actually seeming to have potentially gotten his act together this year with Seattle, over a decade later.

Now that's not to say Kitchens is in any way destined to be one of those guys, but he's done nothing to show he won't be either.  There's so little to evaluate off of that it would be a very high risk move, and given the Darnold situation, I just think it's not worth that level of unknown.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

So it's true just as long as you add your own random qualifier to it?  You're kind of proving the point.

Your excuses don't change the fact that references to Maccagnan over-investing in interior DL are based in reality.  Sorry if that's so unacceptable to you.

Random qualifier?  Lol, like the idea that Mac over invested in the DL?  Sorry that's just wrong.  As is the idea that because some think you don't get value drafting DL in the first its the same if you get one with a 7th.  

2 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

I assume you mean Schwartz as HC and Kitchens as OC. That would be a lateral move for Kitchens unless he loses his job if Williams is replaced. I have been trumpeting Kitchens for HC and would LOVE Schwartz as a DC (again a lateral) but that's a pipe dream. 

As much as Freddie is loved in Cleveland, I think Dorsey is going to try to land a marquee name and that individual will likely want to assemble his own staff. There's 50/50 chance Kitchens is looking for new work in 2 weeks time. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Random qualifier?  Lol, like the idea that Mac over invested in the DL?  Sorry that's just wrong.  As is the idea that because some think you don't get value drafting DL in the first its the same if you get one with a 7th.  

Yes, it is a random qualifier because absolutely no one referred to first round picks until you attempted to use it only after your statement was proven indisputably wrong.  You threw a temper tantrum because of someone daring to make a throwaway reference to Mac's penchant to repeatedly pick up interior DL, which he has in fact done no matter what game of make believe you want to play to say otherwise.  Carry on with any nonsensical excuses that you like, none of that will magically change the reality.

Your attempt to create a new argument doesn't change the indisputable fact that your original point was 100% factually incorrect, and the basis of it was for no other reason than for you to whine about others' comments.  Get over it.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Your attempt to create a new argument doesn't change the indisputable fact that your original point was 100% factually incorrect, and the basis of it was for no other reason than for you to whine about others' comments.  Get over it.

You're 100% right.  My claim that there have been college HCs who have been successful in the NFL is wrong. Completely. 

I need to get over it.  LOL whatever works for you.  

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend to know more than anyone else about him, and there's a very real chance he can turn out to be a good one, but I just think there's far too little to work off of right now.  It would be a very serious gamble for any team to go all in on him that quickly.  Just consider that, given his extremely short coordinating resume, he literally has never had to deal with even a single offseason of opposing team's evaluating the tape and adjusting to his tendencies, and see what he does on his end to account for that.

Just think about the number of times we've seen that "hot" new coordinator who looks like an absolute genius and is highly touted in his first year calling plays, only to completely implode after that, when unable to account for when opposing team's having adjusted to what he's done.  These are the kind of guys who ultimately fail as coordinators, never mind head coaches.  I mean hell, we got a front row seat to that in Schottenheimer, who was highly touted after his first year as Jets' OC and talked about as a future HC candidate, and then was an unmitigated disaster throughout the rest of his time here, and then with the Rams, only actually seeming to have potentially gotten his act together this year with Seattle, over a decade later.

Now that's not to say Kitchens is in any way destined to be one of those guys, but he's done nothing to show he won't be either.  There's so little to evaluate off of that it would be a very high risk move, and given the Darnold situation, I just think it's not worth that level of unknown.

Point taken. Though, in my mind it is more important to be a leader of men (both players and coaches) than it is to be a coordinator since most HC's do not call plays. It is critical to me that whoever the coach is, he assembles a good coaching staff... particularly the coordinators.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You're 100% right.  My claim that there have been college HCs who have been successful in the NFL is wrong. Completely. 

I need to get over it.  LOL whatever works for you.  

Glad to see you've made it clear that you quite literally don't even know what you're talking about.  Your arguments are so incomprehensible that not even you can figure out what it is you were trying to say.

6 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

Point taken. Though, in my mind it is more important to be a leader of men (both players and coaches) than it is to be a coordinator since most HC's do not call plays. It is critical to me that whoever the coach is, he assembles a good coaching staff... particularly the coordinators.

I do get that, as there is definitely no direct correlation between success as a coordinator and success as a HC.  However, I feel like typically part of the benefits that go along with more coordinating experience comes along with building that staff relationship.  Consider that, prior to the past 2 months, Kitchens had no experience in having any other coaches reporting to him.  While that's not to say he won't be able to assemble a staff, he certainly doesn't have anything that would qualify as "his guys" at this point.  Again, I can't say for a second he'll be a failure, but I think there's just far too little to work off of here.  It's the same reason why in any business anywhere else, you'll never see someone promoted from an entry level position to the executive level all in one felt swoop, no matter how good they are.

On 12/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Jim Schwartz has been an unmitigated disaster this year in Philly. Just look at the 4th quarter leads his defenses have given up. He arguably has one of the best defensive lines, and has not been able to parlay that into a strong defense. Granted, he has been stung by an injury depleted backfield.

Big pass on me on Schwartz

Nope. Team sucks. Anything good has been because they had the foresight to use the Schwartz. 

Heading into the final week, so far in the 4th quarter opposing teams' QBs have a 102 rating with 9 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 70% completion rate for ~1500 yards. The run defense does tighten up, though. Don't know much more detail without a longer look.

Archived