Dave Gettleman

k-met57

Bears are going to be a toss up cause they have a lot up for mack. The titans I think are a worse organization than us

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

My point is that having Mariotta, Trubisky Or Dwayne Haskins is far from being “set”.

The giants may grab a QB this year, but they better build a team around him if they want to win...because none of those guys are taking the team on their back like Darnold will be able to for years to come.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saquon is a generational talent, but passing on Darnold is still a huge mistake. Even if Darnold just turns out to be an above average QB (Which lately he's shown that he can far exceed that), it's still a mistake. A RB doesn't carry your team to victories, a QB does. 

The Giants picked Saquon with winning now in mind, but with his super season they still have 5 wins. With Herbert returning, the idea of getting a Franchise QB in this draft is all but gone, once again postponing getting "The Guy" for another 2 years. Even if Herbert did declare, he's not even that great of a prospect anyway. That's 2 years of guys like OBJ, Shepard, and Engram wasted. If and when they get their QB it's probably going to be too late. The window of their star players is closing and they neglected to fix the most important hole on a team. 

Some Giants fans argue that they have the pieces and they'll get the QB anyway, but it doesn't quite work like that. They already passed on the best QB prospect since Luck, and the rest of the star studded class because Gettleman has the biggest tunnel vision in the league. QB's don't grow on trees, and no prospect in the next few years except for maybe Trevor Lawrence is as good a prospect as Darnold was. Ignoring a position that impactful and postponing fixing it is stupid. They passed on their best opportunity to find the next Franchise QB for a RB that's helped them to 5 wins with the roster they wanted to compete with.

Even though the decision to take Barkley was questionable, I'm all for it tbh we got Darnold.

My point is that having Mariotta, Trubisky Or Dwayne Haskins is far from being “set”.

The giants may grab a QB this year, but they better build a team around him if they want to win...because none of those guys are taking the team on their back like Darnold will be able to for years to come.
Darnold has flashes of greatness this year and nothing more. He also turned the ball over way too much. Rookies drafted in this class have a chance to be just as successful or even more successful than Darnold. Trubiski is a pretty decent qb and the bears are probably set up well. Marriota. In my opinion is not good so I don't understand the comparisons.

No one knows what the giants rebuild plan is.  If it is take the stud rb in year 1, rebuild the oline in year 2 and draft the franchise qb in year 3, then they are off to a very good start.

Please stop w/ the red headed step child stuff.  The giants and jets both got what they wanted.  Its a win/win for both franchises.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Darnold has flashes of greatness this year and nothing more. He also turned the ball over way too much. Rookies drafted in this class have a chance to be just as successful or even more successful than Darnold. Trubiski is a pretty decent qb and the bears are probably set up well. Marriota. In my opinion is not good so I don't understand the comparisons.

you are missing the point....there are QB's that elevate a team and QB's that need a team to elevate them. the giants had a chance to grab a QB that can elevate a team and instead took a RB...they will not be in position to draft that kind of a player again.

13 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you are missing the point....there are QB's that elevate a team and QB's that need a team to elevate them. the giants had a chance to grab a QB that can elevate a team and instead took a RB...they will not be in position to draft that kind of a player again.

What do you mean they will not be in position to draft a qb again?  Deshaun watson, pat mahomes were 2 guys drafted outside of the top 10 very recently.  The Giants stink.  They will probably have another top 5 lick next year.

The giants will build the oline this year and get a qb next year.  Its easy to see what they are doing and i like it.  Make sure the rookie qb has talent and protection around him when he arrives.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, bealeb319 said:

Todd gurley is the majority of the rams offense. He might not be as important as a franchise qb but he holds some major value in the success of that team.

Fun fact: the Jets were really close to taking Gurley.  Mac ultimate chose the "safe" route, though.

Fun fact: the Jets were really close to taking Gurley.  Mac ultimate chose the "safe" route, though.
I was very high on gurley I don't remember hearing any rumors linking him to is and as high as I was on the kid I don't think he was worth taking that high due to the risk involved. With hindsight it is easy to say the risk would have been worth it but with hindsight he gets drafted number one overall and we never had a shot at him anyway.

I think this is a very fair comparison: if given the choice would you draft Phillip Rivers or Ladanian Tomlinson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough one. LT was a rare back in that he had several transcendent seasons AND he had longevity too. He was so good, a lot of people don’t even mind that Lawrence Taylor has to “share” the name LT.

I’m still picking Rivers though. Borderline HOF QB is still better than even a GOAT RB candidate.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, bealeb319 said:

Yes Darnold has had flashes, "many". Turning the ball over way too much {earlier in the season} is like blaming the guy who's about to get run over by a train, for sh*tting his pants.  The  only rookie who may be as good as Darnold going forward is Mayfield, and I'll take Darnold.   All the rest have warts and flaws.  Trubisky is "decent".  I don't want decent, I want "great" ,and I don't see the Bears winning the Super Bowl anytime soon.  You are right about Mariotta.  You are not alone. Gettleman I suspect didn't think Sam was going to be great either.  You are  both wrong.

Yes Darnold has had flashes, "many". Turning the ball over way too much {earlier in the season} is like blaming the guy who's about to get run over by a train, for sh*tting his pants.  The  only rookie who may be as good as Darnold going forward is Mayfield, and I'll take Darnold.   All the rest have warts and flaws.  Trubisky is "decent".  I don't want decent, I want "great" ,and I don't see the Bears winning the Super Bowl anytime soon.  You are right about Mariotta.  You are not alone. Gettleman I suspect didn't think Sam was going to be great either.  You are  both wrong.
I think you may have missed the point. To clarify I think Darnold has great potential, however I do not believe he is a sure thing can't miss qb yet and he has not proven that to me. The turnovers his fault or not are concerning when his biggest red flag coming out of college was turnovers. His passed two weeks were great but any potential head coach will look at his entire body of work including his college games or at least they should.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think darnold would be just fine on any team. Giants o line is probably worse but he'd have Odell and the ability to avoid the pressure and buy time... unlike Eli.

Sadly I think Eli had better pass protection than the Jets gave Darnold this year, especially in the second half.  Darnold has been running for his life virtually the entire year.  Imagine what he will do when given just a little bit of protection.  Can't wait.  Are you listening Macc?  Offensive line stupid.

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I think you may have missed the point. To clarify I think Darnold has great potential, however I do not believe he is a sure thing can't miss qb yet and he has not proven that to me. The turnovers his fault or not are concerning when his biggest red flag coming out of college was turnovers. His passed two weeks were great but any potential head coach will look at his entire body of work including his college games or at least they should.

Darnold had a pretty bad offensive line in college too.  I am confident going forward  {you cited the last few games} he will continue to grow and learn when and where not to throw the ball.  Having an Offensive Coordinator who has a clue probably would help too.  Rolling the pocket, or freezing the rush with play action would have done wonders for his ability to escape the rush and get outside the pressure. He has shown great promise throwing, on the run and outside the pocket.  Bates has done some of this recently.  Why it took him a whole season to figure this out is a mystery.  One of many concerning his game plans and play calling. My main point is he is far from a Mariotta or a Trubisky.  His talent far exceeds that of both players.  I feel he has a great potential to be a GREAT Quarterback. The rest, not so much.  Be Patient. You'll see.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:50 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Saquon is the most physically gifted RB since Barry Sanders... don’t @ me. His acceleration is that of LT. His first step and change of direction is absolutely JAW DROPPING.

yes, the guy should of gotten Sam but Barkley is soooooooo special. What I would give to see Barkley line up behind Sam in a Jets uniform.

just wait........................in 4 years you will have your chance

On 12/28/2018 at 9:40 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

No one knows what the giants rebuild plan is.  If it is take the stud rb in year 1, rebuild the oline in year 2 and draft the franchise qb in year 3, then they are off to a very good start.

Please stop w/ the red headed step child stuff.  The giants and jets both got what they wanted.  Its a win/win for both franchises.

Wait, the Giants can rebuild by starting with a stud RB, then rebuild OL, and then a franchise QB. But, when Mac starts with a franchise QB, he sucks, he was lucky? 

Also, finding a franchise QB is HARDER than finding a quality RB. A quality RB (or even a stud) doesn't move the needle the way a franchise QB can. A franchise QB should have a 10 - 15 year career, while a RB is more like 3-8 years. So, if you start with the RB first, then OL, then QB, you have used up all or almost half of the RBs career.

The point is, that a QB is way more valuable to a franchise than a RB; IMO, you don't pass up a franchise QB for a RB and then the next year say you are moving off of your QB. Mac has NOT done a great job, but had he passed up Sam for Barkley this site would have exploded; and anyone talking of year 1 RB, year 3 QB would have gotten roasted.

Giants screwed up IMO, but they aren't the Jets and their mistake was the Jets reward, so I am happy for it. Hopefully Monday we will be rewarded with a HC vacancy...

On 12/28/2018 at 7:14 AM, bealeb319 said:

Darnold has the highest QB Rating over the last 3 CONSECUTIVE weeks over any QB in the league.

If you can't understand that the "light went on" for the Kid then I don't know what you're watching.  When was the last Jet QB able to do that?  Maybe Joe Namath.

To say that he has flashed here and there like its dribs and drabs is a joke.  Brian Baldinger, when analyzing Darnold's tape already sees greatness.  Tony Romo projected Darnold to be the next Peyton Manning of the NFL, not a "Top 5" QB, but the #1 QB in the entire league within a few years.

He has made throws this year that most QB's in the league can't, coupled with insane pocket presence and athleticism to go with a strong arm, the more he learns...he's just going to be deadly.  You're already seeing it, it's right in front of you if you choose to look.

Give him a bonafide playmaker or 2, upgrade the Oline so they can at least run block at an average level....it's not even going to fair for the rest of the league.

Just like I said Patrick Mahomes would torch the league this year, before it started, I see nothing but greatness for Darnold, and I'm being objective.

Already likened to "Tony Romo outside the pocket and Carson Palmer in it", probably can add a dash of Brett Favre...sky is the limit...thank you NY Giants for passing on him and thank you Todd Bowles, because without you the Jets would have never had the pick.

36 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

No, at this point no-one can legitimately call Sam a sure fire cant miss thing, that's impossible. In the beginning of the year he missed a lot of throws, underwhelmed a bit, had a lot more interceptions dropped than were caught and well the rest of the offense was so bad or injured that he really didn't have a chance to improve. 

That being said he has looked like a different QB since he came back from "injury". I will be the first to say I wasn't impressed when we drafted him and still wasn't impressed the first 6 games I saw him play when we started the season but I gotta tell you, the last 3 games the kid has just been remarkable. I cant remember the last time we had a qb who when we get the ball I EXPECT him to score. I literally was sitting on the couch last week and telling my wife not to worry the kid will score. I haven't had that kind of confidence in one of our QB's in recent memory. 

I think it's safe to say that barring injury, we can stop looking for a QB for awhile. Sam might actually be the last QB I see play in a Jets uniform the rest of my life. For you older fans think about that.......he is only 21, he might play 20-23 years. Unreal

On 12/28/2018 at 9:40 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Good plan.  Grab the RB.  Year two go for the oline, where, who knows, draft?  Good luck.  Year three, go for the QB, if lucky one will be available.  Wait 3 years for him to hit stride and pray to god your RB is still playing well or that he doesnt want Bell money

I think Sam has had a strong rookie year, but still needs to take that jump in year two before we can know definitively if the Giants made a mistake. 

Also keep in mind everyone said the 2017 crop of QBs weren’t great, but look at the numbers that Watson, Trubisky, and Mahomes are putting up. 

On 12/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, k-met57 said:

i think Gotlieb nailed it...the giants have less first downs then they did last year, and Barkley leads the league in big runs. Having an explosive game changing back is a luxury u cant afford if you dont have a QB who can convert third downs...not to mention that you can always scheme to stop any RB if you dont have to respect the QB with your play calls.

I think taking any RB at 2 overall is stupid, but his argument about the home run was stupid. It's not baseball. A TD is always worth 6 points, there are no base runners. A RB who can take it to the house on any play is a big deal.

I'm glad they screwed up and let darnold fall into our laps.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:27 PM, k-met57 said:

agree to disagree. while Barkley is clearly a stud....passing on a QB is a decision that could set your franchise back 30 years...just as any jets fan. not to mention the 2019 QB class was notoriously questionable even with the Oregon kid.

there is 0 chance that he thought both Darnold and Rosen (and Allen) were all going to bust. He just went for an ultra talented RB....which is a franchise changing decision when you could easily never pick high enough to get an elite QB again.

True. 

The stars aligned for the Giants to select (at #2) a marquee QB in a QB studded draft while Eli entered the twilight of his career. The Giants instead committed to Barkley and QB purgatory. That team could easily go 10 years without finding their guy at QB. I SCREAMED when the GMen took Darnold. Deep down every Giants fan knows they f'd up.

On 12/28/2018 at 7:40 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

And if the Jets plan turns out to be Franchise QB in Year 1, LeVeon Bell in FA in Year 2 and OLine in Draft in Year 2 then I'm all for it!  I can stomach another season of mediocre or average-ish WR play with guys like Anderson, Enunwa, etc. if we significantly upgrade the OLine and get a premiere RB this year.  Having Herndon in the passing mix also makes it easier to accept delaying a major improvement in the WR corps.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:57 AM, VinnyT16 said:

I think Sam has had a strong rookie year, but still needs to take that jump in year two before we can know definitively if the Giants made a mistake. 

Also keep in mind everyone said the 2017 crop of QBs weren’t great, but look at the numbers that Watson, Trubisky, and Mahomes are putting up. 

Everyone can see that Sam Darnold is a starting caliber NFL QB.  The real question is whether he'll be a middle-of-the-road acceptable starter (like a Top 15-20 guy) or if he'll be a true franchise QB, a Top 5-7 type QB like a Philip Rivers or Matt Ryan.

Colin Cowherd debates these guys as either "trucks" or "trailers".  Is the QB pulling the team with him or is the QB along for the ride?  Examples - Sanchez was a trailer and was along for the ride in those 2009-2010 AFCCG runs.  He was surrounded by a great team.  Dak Prescott is another guy I'd consider a trailer.  He's not the reason the Cowboys are making postseason runs in my opinion.  Tom Brady has been a truck, pulling along average rosters to the postseason and Super Bowls for years.  I'd probably put Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson in the truck category as well.

Is Darnold a guy who will make others around him better and pull the team to success?  Or, is he good enough to ride along to the postseason but only with a very talented team?

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

That can be their plan but it's not easy and they had multiple franchise QB prospects in their hands and chose a RB in part b/c they believed a that a near 40 yr old QB who was never great and has been terrible the last 5-6 years was going to lead them to the playoffs thanks to this RB. the RB exceeded expectations w/ his great 2nd half of the year but the team still stunk.  They are in desperate need of a QB and have been for quite some time.

It was a win for us, a loss for NYG but at least they will have all those highlight plays from Barkley to watch to help stomach the losses. even if they get the QB in year 3(which obviously is not guaranteed) then Brakely will have wasted 3 years of his prime including the rookie season of the QB and RB primes don't last long especially someone like Barkley who is touching the ball as often as he does.

Barkley had 2000 yards rushing/receiving. He had 15 TDs and 91 receptions. And the Giants went 5-11. 

What will it take for the Giants to go 8-8 next year? 3000 yards from scrimmage and 25 TDs?

RBs are great when they can be paired with a great/very good QB. On their own, they turn into Detroit Lions with Barry Sanders. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

If you think Gettleman made a mistake taking Barkley over Darnold, I'm excited to hear your opinion on Macc taking Adams over Waston and Mahommes.

Totally different. Mahommes and Watson were not projected pre draft as high as Adams. Also in a few years when we look back, no one will be complaining that Darnold is our QB.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Barkley had 2000 yards rushing/receiving. He had 15 TDs and 91 receptions. And the Giants went 5-11. 

What will it take for the Giants to go 8-8 next year? 3000 yards from scrimmage and 25 TDs?

RBs are great when they can be paired with a great/very good QB. On their own, they turn into Detroit Lions with Barry Sanders. 

When the Giants turn it around Barkley will want 18 million a year.

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Totally different. Mahommes and Watson were not projected pre draft as high as Adams. Also in a few years when we look back, no one will be complaining that Darnold is our QB.

And if the Giants get a QB this year or next, samesies.  But, you only get the benefit of hindsight after it's done.  We're fortunate to have Darnold, we could easily have Adams and Allen.  The point being, if you're going to kill Gettleman for taking Barkley, then the Adams pick was significantly worse, because Barkley is significantly more valuable than Adams.

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

And if the Giants get a QB this year or next, samesies.  But, you only get the benefit of hindsight after it's done.  We're fortunate to have Darnold, we could easily have Adams and Allen.  The point being, if you're going to kill Gettleman for taking Barkley, then the Adams pick was significantly worse, because Barkley is significantly more valuable than Adams.

It's all luck at the top of the draft. Some guys get drafted & tear their ACLs, Indy has lucked into Payton & Andrew (WTF!), We've actually lucked into Sam Darnold. 

I've wanted to Bowles fired since the Bills loss in 2015, had I got my wish, everything in the time continuum would have changed & we wouldn't have 21 year old Sa Darnold right now.

Belichick lucked into Brady. Belichick s a great coach but anyone who thinks he gets to 8 Super Bowls & wins 5 without Brady is crazy. He's not just considered the GOAT by fans but it's a concensus among retired QBs like Steve Young. 

The Jets are SUPER LUCKY that Sequan Barkley was available at the top of the draft because if he's not there, Sam Darnold is a New York Giant!

Barkely is ridiculously good.  Ultimately they need to land a QB and if they find one the pick looks great.

If they struggle to find a QB over the next 3 or 4 years - then this will go down as one of the worst decisions ever.  Especially if Darnold turns into what we think he will.

Archived