'Same old Jets' wasn't always an insult: Remembering team's last playoff victory | Oral history of 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs win over Patriots

Mogglez

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure about that.  I think Pittsburgh probably was better than us that year.  And they had home field in that game (which they earned).  The game that kills me is losing to Denver in the AFC CG in 1998.  Yes they were at home and yes they were better BUT we led 10-0 early in the 2nd half and we absolutely fell apart (IIRC, everyone started fumbling).  I'm convinced we would've beaten Atlanta in the Superbowl that year though (had we held on against Denver).  I'm not going to get over that season until the Jets finally win a Superbowl.  

On a related note, it's F-ing absurd that the Jets haven't even participated in a Superbowl since 1969.  Aside from a couple of expansion teams (Jags, Texans), only the Lions and Browns have a longer streak of not making the Superbowl than us.  The Lions and Browns have never gone to a SB btw.

Absolutely would have. We beat them during the season like 38-7 or something. That Falcon team may have been the worst team I can remember that got to a Super Bowl.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

When Dennis Byrds jersey was walked onto the field by the Jets Captains, and then they subsequently beat the Pats, I honestly thought I was going to see the Jets in the Superbowl. I believed. 

And then they forgot to show up a week later.....

1998 was better. Better team. Likeable team. The core of players I most identify with, even though I was born in 71 and watched the Obrien/Walker/Gastineau teams. 

1998 was the best season in my life as a Jets fan. 20 years ago. And they didn't even get to the SB....

FML. 

Good read, though. Love the comments about how much NE people are total Assholes. Because they are.

Outside of the 1968 season and team:

The 1998 team was the best team start to finish, the best full season.  We had a load of talent and the best coaching staff we have ever had.

The best win was beating NE in the 2010 div rd.

22 hours ago, Losmeister said:

No one played nearly as badly as CuMar did in 98.

Flat doesn't nearly describe that atrocity... Hall of Shame

watch that game on youtube and tell me where Curtis was supposed to get his yards?  our OL was dominated that day in the ground game.

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It all went downhill after this:

yep, I think 2 plays later was the bomb to Mccaffery and soon after it was 10-7 then the ensuing KO we turned it over and we were tied 10-10.  another class Belichick defensive choke.

17 hours ago, section314 said:

Absolutely would have. We beat them during the season like 38-7 or something. That Falcon team may have been the worst team I can remember that got to a Super Bowl.

That Falcon team was really, really good.  Don't be fooled by the whipping we put on them w/ 90 yr old Steve DeBerg at QB that day.  w/ that said I have no doubt we would have beat them if we beat Den.

Archived