Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BigO said:

The Sperm Factor finally takes hold. Great job Sperm.

I suggested this 2 offseasons ago when his annual extension amount would've been $5-6MM per and the guaranteed portion around half (not to mention we'd already be in year-to-year seasons with him by now). That was mocked after Enunwa injured his neck. Then we extend him 2 years later anyway, and do so at a rate >50% higher with nearly double the guaranteed money.

#macconomics

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If all of our moves were Bowles-initiated, that speaks even WORSE about Macc.  You realize that, right?

The HC has no time to be making decisions on who to draft and sign.  He can't scout the league or the college ranks while preparing for a season or game.  If Macc was deferring to Bowles this whole time, that means Macc is a spineless coward who also can't evaluate talent.

This is so true.

This is classic Mac in many ways -- waits until he no longer has any leverage then pays full price.

In terms of the actual numbers I don't think it's that bad -- I think you'll see worse players getting similar money in UFA, even if we should have extended him earlier for less.

Obviously when healthy he's a good player but the injury history is a little nerve wracking. With all of our cap space I'm sure this will be a front loaded deal where we can move on after two years if it doesn't work out.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let me add the following for the mouth-breathers:

1) I like Q.

2) I wanted Q back.

3) We have precious few homegrown players, so it kind of necessitated we bring back a few guys like Q.

But he's a little better than JAG-level and can't stay healthy.  No way he would have gotten a deal even close to this on the open market, even with limited options coming loose on the WR front. 

I feel (hope) Macc will have it be a safe contract  so hopefully the team is protected. I love Quincy so very happy to have him back. Plus put it in this year to eat up some of the leftover cap, hopefully. Maybe they can do the same with Robby?

I am surprised the deal is as big as it sounds though. Definitely seems to be a big contract for a guy that is coming off 500 yards receiving over two years.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I suggested this 2 offseasons ago when his annual extension amount would've been $5-6MM per and the guaranteed portion around half (not to mention we'd already be in year-to-year seasons with him by now). That was mocked after Enunwa injured his neck. Then we extend him 2 years later anyway, and do so at a rate >50% higher with nearly double the guaranteed money.

#macconomics

Horrible! But think what it would have cost in a year or two. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#macconomics

Except the move gets killed a year ago and slides into the negative column with people stating that “Macc paid $15 Million for 7 games.” I don’t love this re-signing but if it’s structured correctly it could have little downside. If it’s a panic move and structured poorly it will cost us Robby Anderson. 

Also if he was a UFA this season Anderson probably would be the most desired WR on the market. Instead of relying on the RFA tender Macc has to extend Anderson or else risk having to pay him $12 million a year next offseason. 

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I feel (hope) Macc will have it be a safe contract  so hopefully the team is protected. I love Quincy so very happy to have him back. Plus put it in this year to eat up some of the leftover cap, hopefully. Maybe they can do the same with Robby?

I am surprised the deal is as big as it sounds though. Definitely seems to be a big contract for a guy that is coming off 500 yards receiving over two years. 

The mere fact that there is a $20 million injury guarantee already suggests it does NOT protect the team.  That is truly mind-boggling.  With Q, its not a matter of IF he will get hurt again, its WHEN. 

Macc's contract negotiation skills have been proven time and time again to be awful.  Yet because we have lots of cap space, it looks less damaging than it really is. 

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Fantastic move. We should also try to keep Robby then pull a trade for a legit #1 guy (thinking Evans or AJ Green). The trio would be a great one, especially when you throw in Herndon at TE

If we can get a guy like Evans and a slot WR we’d be set. 

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wonder if they let Anderson walk...

Who knows what Anderson’s off the field baggage really is, but he’s the better receiver imo.

They'll tender Anderson at a bare minimum. 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wut? Enunwa's risk of serious further injury was gone.

This is a player that should have been extended 2 years ago, with the guaranteed portion of it already over by now. Two years ago, back when people were praising Maccagnan for not extending him because of an eventual preseason injury. 

Instead he extends him anyway and we pay full UFA price by waiting until the team had no leverage. Again.

$9MM/year with $20MM guaranteed for Enunwa. Happy for him to cash in, but lol.

Yeah, this is a full value free agent contract. Could've been done earlier/smarter, but I'm glad they got it done. Could've been even more if they let him test the market. 

Just now, slats said:

Yeah, this is a full value free agent contract. Could've been done earlier/smarter, but I'm glad they got it done. Could've been even more if they let him test the market.  

If he got this deal on the open market, I would have said "Good for him", and "Thanks for the eventual compensatory pick cancellation". 

Hot damn. I was thinking this week I was hoping Mac would at least TRY to extend the dozens of guys who are becoming UFAs this year. Good news. 

WR needs playmakers, but it's not as dire as it seems. If I had it my way, Robby is tendered with a 2nd in the hopes of resigning him next year. Dump a ton of money into Jamison Crowder to play the slot, bring back Burnett/Roberts and draft a guy with #1 potential. 

Enunwa

Anderson

Crowder

Draft Pick

Burnett

Roberts

I’m sorry, but this is a pretty sh*tty deal.

I like Enunwa and would’ve been more than okay with giving him a 1 year “prove it” type deal at around $4-6 million, but this is pretty damn exorbitant.

Just a few months ago we were wondering if the guy could even rebound from that non-contact neck injury. He came back solid, but was dinged up throughout basically the entire season.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They live in a world where think that because they are fans they can dictate who is hired and fired. 

It's been clear for a long time that Macc wasn't going anywhere.   

It's fine to think that way.  Most of us knew it was unlikely he'd get fired.

But to CELEBRATE this fact makes the Macc supporters masochists.  There's nothing that should excite anyone about the prospect of another Macc draft and free agent spending spree.  Nothing. 

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Feels like a waste of money to me.  I just have no faith he's going to stay healthy.   I certainly hope Mac knows something we don't.  On the surface, as far as I'm concerned, this was a terrible signing.

$20mm guaranteed ($36mm over 4 years) to a slot receiver that doesn't play.

Psst. He doesn’t. 

Let’s just remember the fact that they HAVE to overpay to keep Enunwa because of the 4 WRs that Big Macc drafted, only one is still on the team and he’s only good at special teams. Oh and he was a throw away 7th round pick while the other guys were drafted in rounds 2, 3, & 4. But carry on the celebration!

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Let’s just remember the fact that they HAVE to overpay to keep Enunwa because of the 4 WRs that Big Macc drafted, only one is still on the team and he’s only good at special teams. Oh and he was a throw away 7th round pick while the other guys were drafted in rounds 2, 3, & 4. But carry on the celebration!

Yep.

This is the domino effect when you draft Devin Smith, Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

The injury guarantee is idiotic unless I am missing something.  I like the player but he has never broken 900 yards and has 5 career tds.

This is how we are going to spend our cap money folks.  Robbie Anderson is licking his chops now.

Strap in Jets fans!!

#JetUp

#BigMaccccc

This team can't afford to carry an injury plagued WR right now. We don't have an AB, or an Evans, or Julio... we have 4 spots for developing WRs... 1 with robbie, 1 with a slot guy, and now 1 is used up on Enunwa who finished another season on the trainers table.

I hate this regime so much. 

Archived