Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, slats said:

The $20M injury guarantee is probably a signing bonus plus the first year salary combined. Or something like that. Money that he would've almost certainly collected anyway. That's how Mac structures a lot of contracts. 

Unless there's guaranteed money in the third and fourth years, I'm really not worried about it. 

Stop making sense...sense doesn't fit on a fan message board.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don't you think this idiotic power structure will turn away quality HC candidates?

A GM who is on equal footing with the HC is a terrible system.  I fully agree.  Which is why we absolutely SHOULD be firing both and starting from scratch.  But we won't. 

If Macc is allowed to hire the HC, say goodbye to any veteran options, and hello to another 1st-timer. 

Why?  Hc's are fired all the time and existing GM's are responsible for hiring new one's what would make it different if Mac was given the chance to hire his own HC.

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

so fcking what. 1 year prove it deal is at best, all he deserves. We now have 1 less spot to groom an ACTUAL solution at WR. 

I've seen this act before, know where?  The Edmonton oilers some years back.  Flushed with Fa cash, not a great FA market, Best FA will go elsewhere because every one can get cap space when needed.  Team signs all of its own Fa to inflated contracts.

Anderson is better than enunwa, he will get paid.

Leo Will get paid.

I would expect that a large chunk of that 36m comes in the deal's final 2 years. Say cap hits of 6, 7.5, 10, 12.5.  Would be cuttable at any point for skill,  and would leave only a 6.5M injury guarantee if you wanted to cut him before year three & he was hurt.   If that's the structure, it's a terrific deal for the jets

2 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

I’m for the signing. Need to spend cap and he’s a jet. Now, I’ve seen offering a 2nd round tender for Robby, is there some negative to having a 1st round tender instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he should absolutely be tendered with a 1st round pick, but only if it comes to that. Tagging for a 2nd rounder makes no sense unless you'd rather risk losing him right after the draft, for a low 2nd round pick in 2020. We can always take less in trade if we choose, but this way we don't have to.

Truthfully he should be extended before March. This week, even. Try to use the team's leverage FFS instead of waiting until it has none as always:

1. Tell him he's going to get a 1st round tender so he won't get a serious competing offer this offseason.

2. The 1st round RFA tender can be withdrawn if he gets into serious trouble or gets suspended this offseason. It's not guaranteed even if the player signs it (or that's how it used to be).

3. Remind him until then he could get injured even in the offseason - never mind during the regular season - and have another down-stats season before reaching UFA status. His agent will already be aware of this, no matter how much he boasts for his client outwardly. He's seen more successful and more high profile players than Anderson end up with nothing.

4. Robby is coming off a down season statistically and it's his 3rd of 3 seasons with under 1000 yards. Unfortunately we can't use injury risk for much leverage, nor harp too much on his lack of stats. Not with this contract just given to Enunwa, who's missed 1/4 of this season after missing all of last season to injuries, and who's only reached 500 yards in any season once since being drafted in 2014.

5. At least try to use Enunwa's signing to allege the team isn't desperate to ink him long term this offseason, so it's take it or leave it at ~$8MM/year give or take (obviously try for less first).

6. A couple offseason arrests in the most recent offseason should allow the team to put language in there protecting the team. If he goes another offseason without getting into trouble he may scoff at such language and instead say eff-off someone else will give it to me if you won't.

But yes, in the absence of banging out an extension in the coming weeks, he should be tagged with a 1st round tender not a 2nd. Regardless of the tender amount, if I'm Robby's agent I'm advising him to not sign the tender so he's still free to talk to other teams through the draft. He would stand a good chance of receiving offers after the draft, when teams wouldn't have to surrender a pick until the following season. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last  year Michael Crabtree signed a 3/21 contract with the Ravens. Crabtree is trash. If he is worth 7 mill a year, Enunwa is worth 9. 

Jimmy Graham, a TE, signed a 3  year 30 contract with the Packers and Graham is well past his prime. 

Donte Moncrief got 1/9.6 million deal. Granted only a 1 year deal, but Enunwa is better than Moncrief. 

Albert Wilson got 3/24. 

Paul Richardson got 5/40. 

And of course, the great Sammy Watkins who also never stays healthy and when he does isn't that great, got a 3/48 this past offseason and wasn't doing much in an all time prolific offense before he got hurt...again. 

With the cap numbers rising, the going rate for Enunwa was right in and around what he got. There is no reason to think this signing was awful for either side. It's a good signing of a good player that plays hard and was Darnold's #1 target before he got hurt. If Enunwa can stay healthy this will be a steal, if he continues to miss multiple games every year, then it will be a bad deal.

Did any of you guys expect Enunwa to take less than Albert Wilson/Crabtree/Richardson? 

Crabtree has 2 1,000 yard seasons. Graham has 7 seasons where he’s scored more TDs than Enunwa has in 4 years total. 

Also, other teams making mistakes with guys like Wilson doesn’t mean the Jets also have to make those mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've seen this act before, no where?  The Edmonton oilers some years back.  Flushed with Fa cash, not a great FA market, Best FA will go elsewhere because every one can get cap space when needed.  Team signs all of its own Fa to inflated contracts.

Anderson is better than enunwa, he will get paid.

Leo Will get paid.

Anderson will be tendered for 3M. Hopefully can trade Leo and make a package for AJ Green

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Everyone is getting hung up on the "injury". guarantee.  The only way you get out of paying that signing bonus is to sign him to a 1 year deal

which is what it should have been. 

But regardless - it's less about hte money and more about the committment. As a GM you have to be shrewd with how you dispense these 5 WRs roster spots. This was not IMO a great use of that. Now, with Robbie, and whomever settles into our Slot guy, we have only 1, maybe 2 spots to use on rookies/development FAs.. 

Don't like it. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Anderson has been great lately and clearly building chemistry with Darnold. We can tender him for 3M next year though so no rush on that. Lets see what he can do with a full year of year 2 Sam

We can’t tender him for $3M. It’s gotta be the 1st round tender at this point and that’s valued at around $5M. Let’s say we do that then he and Sam have a great year together. Were the savings worth having to fork up a 4 year $60M contract or risk losing Anderson?

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I would expect that a large chunk of that 36m comes in the deal's final 2 years. Say cap hits of 6, 7.5, 10, 12.5.  Would be cuttable at any point for skill,  and would leave only a 6.5M injury guarantee if you wanted to cut him before year three & he was hurt.   If that's the structure, it's a terrific deal for the jets

People love to overreact before the contract details are even out. People are also stupid though

Don't you think this idiotic power structure will turn away quality HC candidates?
A GM who is on equal footing with the HC is a terrible system.  I fully agree.  Which is why we absolutely SHOULD be firing both and starting from scratch.  But we won't. 
If Macc is allowed to hire the HC, say goodbye to any veteran options, and hello to another 1st-timer. 

Not necessarily. A guy like McCarthy might like the fact he’s on equal footing with the GM and thus has more power in the draft room and FA.

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. Although I still think that with Darnold's abilities we would be fine with Anderson/Enunwa and an emerging Herndon IF we added a stud RB via FA or the draft. 

I think you need another top flight WR - might not be a legit 1 - but another strong 2..

two strong 2's, Herdon TE, a healthy Q in the slot (big question mark) and Bell coming out of the backfield.  With Darnold after a full off-season of prep. 

We have a legitimate offense,  a real NFL offense that we haven't had this century.

Just now, kdels62 said:

We can’t tender him for $3M. It’s gotta be the 1st round tender at this point and that’s valued at around $5M. Let’s say we do that then he and Sam have a great year together. Were the savings worth having to fork up a 4 year $60M contract or risk losing Anderson?

It is a risk. On the flip side Anderson hasnt done much this season outside the last 3 weeks but clearly is making progress with Darnold. Tough call that I lucky dont have to make 

25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Except the move gets killed a year ago and slides into the negative column with people stating that “Macc paid $15 Million for 7 games.” I don’t love this re-signing but if it’s structured correctly it could have little downside. If it’s a panic move and structured poorly it will cost us Robby Anderson. 

Also if he was a UFA this season Anderson probably would be the most desired WR on the market. Instead of relying on the RFA tender Macc has to extend Anderson or else risk having to pay him $12 million a year next offseason. 

See my other post.

Also an extension would be on top of the year(s) Enunwa was already locked into the Jets, not in place of these cheap years. In other words, a 4 year extension back then would have locked him up for the same amount of time as this extension does 2 years later, with less guaranteed $ and less $ outright. 

His salary would have still been the same for the first 2 seasons. Only difference is a signing bonus (which wouldn't have touched $15MM before last summer) and total guarantee amount (which also wouldn't have reached $15MM either). 

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

Not necessarily. A guy like McCarthy might like the fact he’s on equal footing with the GM and thus has more power in the draft room and FA.

But you're advocating that the GM should make the hire, no?  In which case, at least in theory, McCarthy would NOT be on equal footing. 

But you're advocating that the GM should make the hire, no?  In which case, at least in theory, McCarthy would NOT be on equal footing. 

Yes I am advocating that SHOULD be the case, but it isn’t. I was answering your question with regard to how it is structured now and likely will be with Macc retained, in which case that would be attractive to a guy like McCarthy

29 minutes ago, slats said:

They'll tender Anderson at a bare minimum. 

Yeah, this is a full value free agent contract. Could've been done earlier/smarter, but I'm glad they got it done. Could've been even more if they let him test the market. 

Possible, but I wouldn't think it likely. Enunwa had no incentive to take anything less than he thought he could get on the open market.

He's missed 1/4 of this season, been banged up in games he technically didn't miss, and missed the entire prior season. Back in 2016 he once had a whopping 850 receiving yards, which still represents his only career season hitting even 500 yds. 

I doubt he'd have gotten more than $20MM guaranteed. As you say this was a full FA contract, and there was no reason to do so other than stupidity and a lack of foresight.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it's an idiotic structure, why do more than half the NFL teams have it? McCarthy worked as a HC for 13 years at Green Bay, which has the very same structure.

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Crabtree has 2 1,000 yard seasons. Graham has 7 seasons where he’s scored more TDs than Enunwa has in 4 years total. 

Also, other teams making mistakes with guys like Wilson doesn’t mean the Jets also have to make those mistakes. 

And who were their QB's ??

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

See my other post.

Also an extension would be on top of the year(s) Enunwa was already locked into the Jets, not in place of these cheap years. In other words, a 4 year extension back then would have locked him up for the same amount of time as this extension does 2 years later, with less guaranteed $ and less $ outright. 

His salary would have still been the same for the first 2 seasons. Only difference is a signing bonus (which wouldn't have touched $15MM before last summer) and total guarantee amount (which also wouldn't have reached $15MM either). 

We’re locked into spending in a year the cap goes up and the FA pool blows. 

This most probably isn’t going to be the worst overpay we do. 

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah, the great GMs always pay for what a guy did 8 years ago. Definitely a recipe for success.

Crabtree is trash. He leads the league in drops every year. If Macc brought him in, you would consider him a bust of a FA signing. 

Graham's body is broken down. He is old. You aren't getting the pro bowl version of Graham. The Packers learned that this year.  You would know if you followed the NFL outside of the Jets bubble you live in. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And who were their QB's ??

Who cares? WR talent transcends QB play. DeAndre Hopkins has 1,500 yards in 2015 with Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, T.J. Yates, and Ryan Mallett as his QB. 

Enunwa was a solid late round pick (not by Macc) and he’s a solid role player on a decent offense but he’s not healthy enough ever to earn the contract he got. Period. 

Archived