Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

I didn't expect this sort of negative reaction.

Is it the best team friendly contract ever written?  No.

Is it on par with other receivers who are more "complimentary" players that have recently signed new contracts?  Yes.

Is it reasonable to be concerned about his injuries?  Of course.

All I ever read is how everything should revolve around Darnold.  Then the Jets keep his favorite target from earlier this year, for what might be slightly over his value, and people crap all over it.

If/when a new offense is put in place, having people Darnold trusts already in place will ease the transition.  I don't mind taking a bit of a risk on Enunwa for those reasons.  

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If all of our moves were Bowles-initiated, that speaks even WORSE about Macc.  You realize that, right?

The HC has no time to be making decisions on who to draft and sign.  He can't scout the league or the college ranks while preparing for a season or game.  If Macc was deferring to Bowles this whole time, that means Macc is a spineless coward who also can't evaluate talent.

Or it means Maccagnan did not have a choice.  Ownership could have told them Bowles was going to have a lot of say. 

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too early to tell on the comp picks. Yes they figure to be big players in FA, but that was said last year and the year before that as well. Plus the team is potentially losing a lot of FAs (obviously Enunwa isn't one of them anymore). They could spend big on a couple players cut by other teams or trading for someone and then extending him. They still have a half dozen starters & borderline starters yet who are becoming full UFAs: McCown, Claiborne, Skrine, Carpenter, Kearse, Powell, McLendon, Anderson, etc.

• McCown should be let go, if he doesn't retire.
  • Claiborne I'd let go of also. 
  • Skrine definitely let go.
  • Carpenter definitely let go.
  • Kearse definitely let go.
  • Powell I might be ok bringing back but I sure wouldn't be in any hurry. However I do like having a veteran 3rd down back for Darnold, and one who's a good and willing blocker at that. Plus he wouldn't get paid much at his age. I wouldn't bypass more than a 7th round comp pick to re-sign him; losing him may be more valuable to not cancel out a lost FA elsewhere. Also would depend greatly on how they do in the L.Bell sweepstakes, and if they do get him, whether they still keep the $4MM Crowell or if we can move him for a pick. Neither of our 2 young backs excite me very much yet.
  • McLendon meh. I'd be ok bringing him back with the hopes a younger player overtakes him, but I wouldn't give up a pick to rent him for a little longer. Still, it's good to have veterans in the locker room despite the whippersnappers' views that everyone is near death upon turning 30, lol. 
  • Anderson should be extended, but he may want to test FA. He won't be $2MM with $0 guaranteed.
  • Ijalana isn't worth bypassing any draft pick. He won't get a big contract from anyone but it's possible he gets more than the veteran minimum which is enough to qualify.

I'd say they could still be in line for about 1-2 comp picks, but too early to tell yet depending on the type of new players they pick up. We might pick up a bunch of depth players above the veteran minimum, but we could lose a bunch of those as well (Ijalana, Martin, Qvale maybe, Harrison, maybe Miles, and others). 

Players have to sign somewhere else in order to figure in the comp pick formula. I see a couple guys out of the league up there if the Jets don't resign them. I don't really see anyone on this list, outside of maybe a resurgent Henry Anderson (who I agree, the Jets should retain), that might net anything more than a fourth or fifth round comp pick. 

But I still just simply think that they'll be signing more FAs than they lose. What is it? $120M in cap space now? New coach coming in, they're gonna spend a ton to put that new coach in the best possible position to win right away - whether it's Mac's hand-picked coach, or that coach is Mac's new boss. They're going to be big-time buyers. 

I nearly posted the phrase "Secure the positron". Trouble is with his injury history there's nothing "secure" about this signing. This is a gamble, plain and simple, a gamble that he can stay healthy and be an asset to Sam. And it's one made in a time when there aren't many options to help him out, and that's partially of their own volition because of their terrible draft picks.

In terms of figuring out the problem now that we're here I'm all for it, just like I'd be for signing a guy like Devante Parker or something. There's no harm in flyers right now, the cost doesn't matter much because the rookie is cheap and this is the time to give his outside talent some bigger paydays while they can. But it sucks to be in this position to begin with, to be in a spot where the Jets have to rely on an oft injured receiver for this much instead of, say, being able to rely on the mid-round picks made last year in addition to this move.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is it on par with other receivers who are more "complimentary" players that have recently signed new contracts?  Yes.

All I ever read is how everything should revolve around Darnold.  Then the Jets keep his favorite target from earlier this year, for what might be slightly over his value, and people crap all over it.

If/when a new offense is put in place, having people Darnold trusts already in place will ease the transition.  I don't mind taking a bit of a risk on Enunwa for those reasons.  

Fans always cry about contract values because they never look at the structure & guarantees

in the deal.  It never changes

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The same people crying about this were ok with it 2 weeks ago.

They also cried and b*tched when we took Braylon away from Sanchez because you shouldn't take players that your FQB likes away from him.

Let me add the following for the mouth-breathers:

1) I like Q.

2) I wanted Q back.

3) We have precious few homegrown players, so it kind of necessitated we bring back a few guys like Q.

But he's a little better than JAG-level and can't stay healthy.  No way he would have gotten a deal even close to this on the open market, even with limited options coming loose on the WR front. 

I don't know if I'd go quite that far as the bold.  FA is ridiculous lately and the cupboard is bare, so a young guy who has shown flashes would still be getting a decent enough deal on the market.  That said, I think this isn't a particularly great deal for the Jets either, as what they gave him was ultimately on the level with what he'd be getting in FA, with no particular discount.  That's pretty obvious as, with one game to go that Enunwa may not even play in, he'd have no reason to agree to anything less.  Maccagnan technically didn't wait until the contract was played out to make a deal, as he usually does, but he quite literally only beat that mark by a grand total of 2 days, so it still didn't come with any real benefit.

I am curious to see how this contract is structured, as that could play a part in how good or bad it really looks, but the injury guarantees for a guy with such a history definitely makes me cringe a bit.

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

For me, the issue isn’t that this happened. The issue is who pulled the trigger on it. Any anger is residual from the GM the vast majority don’t want to be here anymore. 

Hey, wait a second, maximum value of 36 million? Is this an incentive laden contract of some sort? like does he not make 36 mil if he doesn't play a certain amount of games or reach a  certain amount of yards? Or is this just the total amount of the deal?

I would be more concerned about Enunwa's health if he missed time this year
with neck related issues.  He didn't, his issue was with his ankle.  He 
probably came back too early to help the team and it never healed 

2 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Hey, wait a second, maximum value of 36 million? Is this an incentive laden contract of some sort? like does he not make 36 mil if he doesn't play a certain amount of games or reach a  certain amount of yards? Or is this just the total amount of the deal?

That's why people can't react to contract values until they see the details

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The cap has been increasing by 10-15 million dollars every year.  Players are going to get more money this year than they did last year, and last year they got more money than the previous year.   WRs are getting paid in the NFL now.  It sounds like a lot of money, but the reality is that it’s not that much in today’s salary cap.  Let’s see what the rest of free agency brings and then stack up Enunwa’s contract to what the rest of the market received.   Although, Enunwa certainly didn’t give the Jets any kind of hometown discount.   

I'll re-phrase:  It's only idiotic if your owner is terrible. 

From a fan's perspective, maybe, but from a head coach's perspective, I don't know. The Johnsons pay well and they have a history of patience -- too much patience, if you ask me -- with their head coaches and their GMs. I think during the Johnson era, it has been crappy GMs, not Johnson, that has scared away HC candidates, And the opposite has also held true -- we ended up with Idzik because no top GM candidate in their right mind would have wanted to be stuck with Rex Ryan as their coach. The question that will soon be answered is whether or not Macc will scare away HC candidates. That's less likely to happen if the Jets keep their current structure.

I'm glad for Enunwa but I couldn't care less about the $$$.  This team has too much
cap space and it should be used to protect Darnold and give him weapons.  With
Enunwa, Anderson and Herndon that's a nice start but they need to continue and for
once not miss on their prime targets

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

From my previous post. This is what marginal WRs got last year in FA. No reason to think Enunwa would get less than these guys that have all done nothing this year:

Michael Crabtree signed a 3/21 contract with the Ravens. 

Donte Moncrief got 1/9.6 million deal. 

Albert Wilson got 3/24. 

Paul Richardson got 5/40. 

Enunwa 4/36 is very reasonable.

Good response, and telling that none of the people who don't like the contract have answered the questions. Sometimes it seems like people complain for the sake of complaining.

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius....

How Jets’ Sam Darnold’s ‘amazing’ potential convinced Quincy Enunwa to sign contract before free agency

Updated 2:45 PMPosted 2:07 PM

Gallery: N.Y. Jets lose to Green Bay Packers, 44-38 (OT) December 23, 2018

0shares

Ultimately, the Jets' best pending, in-house free agent — wide receiver Quincy Enunwa — decided to not become a free agent after all.

And the presence of promising rookie quarterback Sam Darnold has a good deal to do with that.

The Jets on Friday signed Enunwa to a four-year, $36 million contract that includes $20 million in guaranteed pay. Full details of the contract, which are important in NFL deals, aren’t yet available.

Enunwa could have tested free agency in March. But he decided to sign a new contract with the Jets in late December instead. That’s partly because he likes what the Jets have in Darnold, who has shown encouraging progress lately and could be the Jets' long-term franchise quarterback.

“I have a young quarterback that I can mold,” Enunwa jokingly said, when asked why he didn’t want to test free agency in March. “Seriously, though, Sam is an amazing player. As a receiver, that’s who you want to play with. I want to continue growing with this team.”

The Jets need to put more talent around Darnold — especially a true No. 1 receiver — but locking up Enunwa is a start.

Enunwa said he considered testing free agency, but he liked this situation and this contract offer.

“As you go through the process, those are always ideas," he said. “I think me and the team came down to a great agreement. So it made it that much easier. I’m excited, especially for the future. Me and Sam had a good relationship going in the beginning [of the season]. I’m looking forward to continuing that next year and in the years to come.”

Shortly after Enunwa’s contract was announced Friday by the Jets, safety Jamal Adams entered the locker room, shouting in celebration: “Money, money, monnnnnneyyy!” Adams flung a few $100 bills into the air, letting them flutter to the floor. Enunwa laughed as he spoke with reporters a few feet away.

He hadn’t gotten a lot of chances to smile in this 4-11 season. He dealt with a high ankle sprain on both legs. He won’t play in Sunday’s season finale at the Patriots, so these are his final stats for 2018: 11 games, 38 catches, 449 yards, and one touchdown.

Enunwa missed all of 2017 with a neck injury, after putting together a strong 2016 season: 58 catches, 857 yards, and four touchdowns. He isn’t a No. 1 receiver, but he is a physical, complementary guy. He turns 27 in May, so if he can stay healthy, he could be a valuable piece for the Jets in the coming years.

“I’ve dreamt of this day,” Enunwa said of his new contract.

The Jets drafted him in Round 6 in 2014. His career earnings to date, before this new contract: $5.2 million, including $2.9 million on a one-year restricted free agent deal in 2018.

There were no assurances Enunwa would reach this point, with a big raise, after his 2017 neck injury, which required season-ending surgery before the season even began.

Jets stock report

“All it did was kind of give me more incentive, more motivation to make this day happen,” he said.

After missing five games this year, he is ready to play a full season and be available for Darnold in 2019. Enunwa’s latest high ankle sprain cost him the season’s final three games.

“That’s going to be more motivation for next year,” he said. “One thing I can look at is these were injuries that I can prevent, in a way. I just kind of have to know when the play can’t be made. The last one, I definitely knew that the play couldn’t be made. That’s my playing style [to not go down]. I’ve just got to know, when somebody is on my ankles, it’s probably not smart to keep trying to drag them.”

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

34 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Or it means Maccagnan did not have a choice.  Ownership could have told them Bowles was going to have a lot of say. 

In which case this is the absolute worst destination for a potential GM to come to.  We already all pretty much knew that, but this would cement it across the league. 

Let's pray that's not what happened.  A first-time HC should never, ever be handed that much power. 

From my previous post. This is what marginal WRs got last year in FA. No reason to think Enunwa would get less than these guys that have all done nothing this year:
Michael Crabtree signed a 3/21 contract with the Ravens. 
Donte Moncrief got 1/9.6 million deal. 
Albert Wilson got 3/24. 
Paul Richardson got 5/40. 
Enunwa 4/36 is very reasonable.
Thanks for posting as I was looking for COMPS. Those COMPS haven't done much so in theory this makes sense. Going on 27 this isn't a bad extension considering who is out there on the FA market.

If they didn't extend him the Jets were looking for yet another position in their black hole of a roster.

I bet the Pats are calling his agent early in free agency ...

I think they should explore some trades for WR besides OLB/DE depending on what formation they will use next year...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Archived