Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sammy Watkins, who is only worth 3/$16M has 40/519 3TDs @73% in 10 games.  Quincy Enunwa, a bargain at 4/$36M has 38 for 449 1TD @55% in 11.  Yep, I really don't understand people at times either.

watkins got 30M guaranteed over 3. Q got 20 for 4 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cant wait said:

watkins got 30M guaranteed over 3. Q got 20 for 4 

AFAIK, numbers are Watkins 3/48 and Q 4/36.  The 20M is Enunwa's injury guarantee.  Watkins is a considerably better player when on the field.  Both are major injury concerns.  Either way, the guy I quoted claims Watkins is only worth 1/3. By your numbers, which I think are flawed, that is $3.33M and Q is a bargain- by your number $5M per.  Watkins has better numbers this year and Q will cost a sh*tload more than $20M if he plays.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Name all those who had the season he had in 16 with nothing around him.  Or had a connection with Darnold.

The average for someone with so little history is meaningless 

I am lost.  Who are you talking about?  Enunwa?  Anderson had a better year in 2017 with even less around him.  Brandon Marshall has been a problem, but he is certainly considerably more than Kearse.  I know, I know, Anderson is skinny, so he will get hurt.  Enunwa is big and strong. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

McLendon meh. I'd be ok bringing him back with the hopes a younger player overtakes him, but I wouldn't give up a pick to rent him for a little longer. Still, it's good to have veterans in the locker room despite the whippersnappers' views that everyone is near death upon turning 30, lol. 

Guy's like him, veterans on the down side of their careers, need to go. They've gotten accustomed to losing.

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

There’s a whole list of FA WRs that have a better average then 300 yards and 1 TD per season. 

The Jets need to dip into free agency at WR even after signing Enunwa and tendering Anderson. If you're that opposed to resigning Enunwa: what two WRs in free agency are you gonna sign, and (realistically) for how much? 

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

AFAIK, numbers are Watkins 3/48 and Q 4/36.  The 20M is Enunwa's injury guarantee.  Watkins is a considerably better player when on the field.  Both are major injury concerns.  Either way, the guy I quoted claims Watkins is only worth 1/3. By your numbers, which I think are flawed, that is $3.33M and Q is a bargain- by your number $5M per.  Watkins has better numbers this year and Q will cost a sh*tload more than $20M if he plays.

oh idk about 1/3 so whatever. watkins is a different kind of receiver though, more of a flanker deep threat guy. I’d compare enunwa to the other slot guys like tate or edelman

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you sure?  The ones they have drafted so far haven't. 

What's crazy is there was more than ample opening to do so with the injuries and lack of production. Terrelle Pryor got roughly that production in 5 games in a backup role while 3 other WRs and all their TEs were all healthy and playing (except maybe Kearse weeks 1-2). And that was with a rookie QB in his first handful of games. 

You'd get that production over a season just by being good enough to make the active roster as more than a dedicated special teams player. There are over 100 WRs with 300 receiving yards this year alone, lol.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's crazy is there was more than ample opening to do so with the injuries and lack of production. Terrelle Pryor got roughly that production in 5 games in a backup role while 3 other WRs and all their TEs were all healthy and playing (except maybe Kearse weeks 1-2). And that was with a rookie QB in his first handful of games. 

You'd get that production over a season just by being good enough to make the active roster as more than a dedicated special teams player. There are over 100 WRs with 300 receiving yards this year alone, lol.

OT but I wanted to add that enunwa is actually better without kearse in the lineup, kearse plays 60% in the slot so it means Q has to play out of position (36% this year vs 53.4% 2016) so it seems to reason that kearse is gone for next year

Q seems like a good guy and genuinely plays tough. He isn't made out of glass - most of his injuries have come on plays where he is trying to extend a play and over does it. He needs some coaching on that, but overtime think he can be great. 

Just the way he bounced back from his (freak) neck injury and looked great at the start of this season is, I think, indicative of his commitment. 

36 minutes ago, cant wait said:

OT but I wanted to add that enunwa is actually better without kearse in the lineup, kearse plays 60% in the slot so it means Q has to play out of position (36% this year vs 53.4% 2016) so it seems to reason that kearse is gone for next year

Could be, but at his size, (former) timed 4.4 speed, long arms, and brute strength, he really ought to be able to play anywhere. Half the CBs are 5'11" tall and any time he's 1-on-1 that should automatically make him open.

I get it's not all about that, but physically he shouldn't be limited to playing the slot. I don't know that the slot % is what's necessarily responsible for his production. Could be correlation more than causation, as there are also multiple other factors at play.

2 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets need to dip into free agency at WR even after signing Enunwa and tendering Anderson. If you're that opposed to resigning Enunwa: what two WRs in free agency are you gonna sign, and (realistically) for how much? 

All of them. The Jets should be signing and drafting all of the guys.

17 minutes ago, jack48 said:

how can playing 8 games be continuity?

Did you watch the early part of the season? Sam was throwing the ball to Enunwa and only Enunwa on basically every single pass. Seriously. He didn’t trust Robby or Kearse. damn near every single pass was going to Q. 

They have chemistry and you don’t take that away from your young QB when you are trying have him play with sustained confidence on the field.

Say what you want, considering the amount of money that we have, considering the floor amount that we are required to spend this year, considering the poor quality of free agents this year... this isn’t that big of a deal.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Did you watch the early part of the season? Sam was throwing the ball to Enunwa and only Enunwa on basically every single pass. Seriously. He didn’t trust Robby or Kearse. damn near every single pass was going to Q. 

They have chemistry and you don’t take that away from your young QB when you are trying have him play with sustained confidence on the field.

Say what you want, considering the amount of money that we have, considering the floor amount that we are required to spend this year, considering the poor quality of free agents this year... this isn’t that big of a deal.

You are not listening. He doers not play enough.  I like him a lot. When he plays.  He misses too much time.  the words "Injury Prone" should be flashing in a neon sign on his helmet. If he is not ont he field, anyone can be better than he is.

5 minutes ago, jack48 said:

You are not listening. He doers not play enough.  I like him a lot. When he plays.  He misses too much time.  the words "Injury Prone" should be flashing in a neon sign on his helmet. If he is not ont he field, anyone can be better than he is.

I’m still not worried about it lol. How much money do we throw at players that do play and just suck? Trumaine Johnson? Buster Skrine? Matt Forte? Spencer Long? 

108 million in cap space and the least amount of money committed to players in the NFL after 2019.

not.

worried.

18 hours ago, Pac said:

Slight over payment given the injury history but there is no denying his impact when healthy.  When you consider that Sammy Watkins got a 3 year, 48 Mil contract with 30 mil guaranteed this doesn't seem too bad.

Enunwa is exactly the kind of guy you want around Darnold which I'm sure played a significant part in the decision.

Nothing not true here. Sam obviously has good chemistry with him, beginning of the year he threw most of his passes to himif he was open or not. Young QB thing. 

I hope he  got a thorough physical and they determined he has the potential to be healthy enough to play to a high level. Guy is damn good when he is healthy. Tough SOB with the ball after the catch. 

All in all a good move as long as they kicked the tires well. 

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m still not worried about it lol. How much money do we throw at players that do play and just suck? Trumaine Johnson? Buster Skrine? Matt Forte? Spencer Long? 

108 million in cap space and the least amount of money committed to players in the NFL after 2019.

not.

worried.

Once we have more weapons teams won't be able to zone in on Q. He was all Darnold had who he felt was reliable, but it came at a cost as Quincy was gang tackles continuously. 

Put Bell in the backfield, plus Sam is more tuned into Robbie, add another WR, and Herndon has come on too. Teams quickly found out Q was Sams #1 target. 

Guys get hurt, OBJ isn't playing now either. 

7 hours ago, slats said:

I’m opposed to signing a player that can’t stay healthy, has only had one 100 yard game, never score more then 1 TD in a game and scored 1 TD in 23 games for that much.

The Jets still need to sign two more WRs even after signing him. They still need a #1 (which isn’t out there, maybe the draft, but they still need to sign someone to play opposite Anderson) and they’ll need someone to play #3 when Enunwa goes on IR. 

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sammy Watkins, who is only worth 3/$16M has 40/519 3TDs @73% in 10 games.  Quincy Enunwa, a bargain at 4/$36M has 38 for 449 1TD @55% in 11.  Yep, I really don't understand people at times either.

You do realize I’m saying Watkins is worth 1/3 of his salary and not Q, right? 

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m opposed to signing a player that can’t stay healthy, has only had one 100 yard game, never score more then 1 TD in a game and scored 1 TD in 23 games for that much.

The Jets still need to sign two more WRs even after signing him. They still need a #1 (which isn’t out there, maybe the draft, but they still need to sign someone to play opposite Anderson) and they’ll need someone to play #3 when Enunwa goes on IR. 

You really need to take a look at what's there in free agency this year. There are only a few guys I'd be interested in, guys like Moncrief, Humphries, or Tyrell Williams. All of them will sign deals in Enunwa's range (or better), and all of them will be in high demand as young, productive, up & coming players. The rest are either older players or guys who haven't done anything yet.  

There are no top 5 WRs in this year's draft. I know a lot of fans expect Mac to waive his magic wand and trade down to collect a second rounder (at least), but the likelihood is that they take their top 5 BAP (DT/Edge) and wait until the third round to take a WR - with needs, wants, desires at OL and RB and CB, too. 

I get that you don't like Enunwa's injury issues, but he's still a bird in the hand for the Jets. It's a good contract for him, but it's also market value. It's better for the team to enter the offseason with Q, Robby, and Herndon as the receiving corps floor and build from there than to try to put together a WR group without Enunwa. Speaking of Herndon, in addition to those WRs above there are a couple young TEs I'd be interested in, too, in Jesse James and C.J. Uzomah. 

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

That’s what his stats are. It’s black and white. 

True.  But some stats tell nothing.  Especially averages over only 4 seasons, one of which he had 0 receptions.

How about this.  His last season he had 850 or so yards.  Led the team in receptions and yardage. And if McCown didnt get hurt and miss the last 3.5 games would have easily passed 1,000 yards. 

Or that this season, making it his last 2 seasons, hes led the team in receptions.  

So yeah, keep spewing meaningless numbers 

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am lost.  Who are you talking about?  Enunwa?  Anderson had a better year in 2017 with even less around him.  Brandon Marshall has been a problem, but he is certainly considerably more than Kearse.  I know, I know, Anderson is skinny, so he will get hurt.  Enunwa is big and strong. 

Anderson did have all of an extra 100 yards over Enunwa in '17 vs Enunwas '16.  So?   I was pointing out what Enunwa has done to someone who was trying to make him out to be a 300 yards per season WR.  What does Anderson that have to do with Enunwas production in '16.

And what do their sizes have to do with anything here?  Who cares?

24 minutes ago, slats said:

You really need to take a look at what's there in free agency this year. There are only a few guys I'd be interested in, guys like Moncrief, Humphries, or Tyrell Williams. All of them will sign deals in Enunwa's range (or better), and all of them will be in high demand as young, productive, up & coming players. The rest are either older players or guys who haven't done anything yet.  

There are no top 5 WRs in this year's draft. I know a lot of fans expect Mac to waive his magic wand and trade down to collect a second rounder (at least), but the likelihood is that they take their top 5 BAP (DT/Edge) and wait until the third round to take a WR - with needs, wants, desires at OL and RB and CB, too. 

I get that you don't like Enunwa's injury issues, but he's still a bird in the hand for the Jets. It's a good contract for him, but it's also market value. It's better for the team to enter the offseason with Q, Robby, and Herndon as the receiving corps floor and build from there than to try to put together a WR group without Enunwa. Speaking of Herndon, in addition to those WRs above there are a couple young TEs I'd be interested in, too, in Jesse James and C.J. Uzomah. 

Good Post

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

A bulging disc that was taken care of and a high ankle sprain arent "injury prone"  Giving up on someone because they've had two bad luck injuries because you think its a trend that will continue doesnt work here.  Yet

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My hot take on this is that there are only about three players on the current Jets roster that 1. Have any talent and 2. Seem to like football, and Enunwa is one of them, so why not throw a few bucks at him?

Would President Mal be another? 

FA and draft are not WR rich, Q is a good player when healthy and showed chemistry with the Sam. 4/20 guarentee isn't that big when you consider the bidding war likely to trigger on open market where demand is higher than supply

This is a good move in that context, plenty of things to bitch about here but this isnt one of them imo

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Once we have more weapons teams won't be able to zone in on Q. He was all Darnold had who he felt was reliable, but it came at a cost as Quincy was gang tackles continuously. 

Put Bell in the backfield, plus Sam is more tuned into Robbie, add another WR, and Herndon has come on too. Teams quickly found out Q was Sams #1 target. 

Guys get hurt, OBJ isn't playing now either. 

This is why depth is crucial, especially for a QB like Sam that likes to spread the ball around and keep defenses guessing. I know jts nice to have an GREAT #1 that teams have to account for but if Sam is truly fast at scanning the field and finding the mismatch/open man, it’s even harder for defenses to gameplan because they have to account for everyone and probably won’t have the numbers to cover every “good” weapon that the Jets could have.

Until we land that weapon, we need a rock solid deep core where anyone can have a big game and can still function when there is an injury to a player(s). If Antonio Brown gets injured, the Steelers are not the Steelers on offense. Same for most teams with a true star #1. It’s tough to live and die by 1 player unless it’s QB. 

Players on the Jets who I like because they shut up, do their jobs, and play hard:

1. Avery Williamson 

2. Quincy Enunwa

3. Brian Winters

4. Mo Claiborne

5. Darnold

6. Jordan Jenkins 

7. Frankie Luvu

8. Josh McCown

9. Rontez Miles

10. Marcus Maye, but INC

Nice, professional guys, but kinda suck:

1. Leonard Williams