Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant believe some of u guys dont think he is injury prone
he IS
i love him.... but....
He is injury prone but the contract we signed him to is reasonable. We got him on a contract where he would be underpaid if he were healthy the whole time which is a possibility. If he gets hurt and doesn't play the contract is bad of course but that could be the case for any player and quite frankly there really aren't any better receivers this year in free agency. I believe if we let him walk he would have gotten a better offer elsewhere.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

PLAYER A is 25 years and 234 days old. He stands 6' 3" and weighs 190 lbs soaking wet. He's caught 15 touchdowns in 45 games for the New York Jets. For his entire career with the Jets he caught 54.7% of the balls he's been targeted with. PLAYER A has started to develop a chemistry with the Jets young quarterback Sam Darnold by hauling in 20 receptions for 312 yds and 3 touchdowns. He was targeted 31 times in those 3 games good for a 64.5% catch percentage.

PLAYER B is 26 years and 212 days old. He stands 6' 2" and weighs a whopping 225 lbs. He's been with the New York Jets since the great John Idzik drafted him in 2014. Due to a neck injury he missed an entire season in 2017. He's caught 5 touchdowns in 40 games for the New York Jets. For his entire career with the Jets he's caught 53.9% of the balls he's been  targeted with. PLAYER B hasn't played since week 14, and hasn't had one game over 100 yds this season. 

Mike Maccagan's final gift to the Jets was to sign PLAYER B to a massive extension.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

PLAYER A is 25 years and 234 days old. He stands 6' 3" and weighs 190 lbs soaking wet. He's caught 15 touchdowns in 45 games for the New York Jets. He catches 54.7% of the balls he's targeted. PLAYER A has started to develop a chemistry with the Jets young quarterback Sam Darnold by hauling in 20 receptions for 312 yds and 3 touchdowns. He was targeted 31 times in those 3 games good for a 64.5% catch percentage.

PLAYER B is 26 years and 212 days old. He stands 6' 2" and weighs whopping 225 lbs. He's been with the New York Jets since the great John Idzik drafted him in 2014. Due to a neck injury he missed an entire season in 2017. He's caught 5 touchdowns in 40 games for the New York Jets. For his entire career with the Jets he catches 53.9% of the balls he's targeted. PLAYER B hasn't played since week 14, and hasn't had one game over 100 yds this season. 

Mike Maccagan's final gift to the Jets was to sign PLAYER B to massive extension.

The Jets control the rights to PLAYER A in 2019. You know that, right? 

I'm in favor of extending Anderson this year, too, but Enunwa was the first priority. 

PLAYER A is 25 years and 234 days old. He stands 6' 3" and weighs 190 lbs soaking wet. He's caught 15 touchdowns in 45 games for the New York Jets. He catches 54.7% of the balls he's targeted. PLAYER A has started to develop a chemistry with the Jets young quarterback Sam Darnold by hauling in 20 receptions for 312 yds and 3 touchdowns. He was targeted 31 times in those 3 games good for a 64.5% catch percentage.

PLAYER B is 26 years and 212 days old. He stands 6' 2" and weighs whopping 225 lbs. He's been with the New York Jets since the great John Idzik drafted him in 2014. Due to a neck injury he missed an entire season in 2017. He's caught 5 touchdowns in 40 games for the New York Jets. For his entire career with the Jets he catches 53.9% of the balls he's targeted. PLAYER B hasn't played since week 14, and hasn't had one game over 100 yds this season. 

Mike Maccagan's final gift to the Jets was to sign PLAYER B to massive extension.

Player A is a restricted free agent we can keep next year for 4 million dollar 1st round tag, player B could have just walked away in a WEAK WR free agent class & probably have gotten more from a desperate team, of which there are many with a lot of cap room, what's your point? 

18 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I cant believe some of u guys dont think he is injury prone

he IS

i love him.... but....

Nobody is saying that his injuries aren’t a concern but the contract was fair.  When he is healthy is is very dependable. Not many can extend plays like he can AND sam feels more comfortable with him there 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Player A is a restricted free agent we can keep next year for 4 million dollar 1st round tag, player B could have just walked away in a WEAK WR free agent class & probably have gotten more from a desperate team, of which there are many with a lot of cap room, what's your point? 

PLAYER B isn't worth that contract. Why bid against yourself for a player who can't stay healthy? Why let a spineless GM give extensions when he should be fired on New Year's Eve? 

37 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets control the rights to PLAYER A in 2019. You know that, right? 

I'm in favor of extending Anderson this year, too, but Enunwa was the first priority. 

PLAYER A has earned the extension. Nobody is paying PLAYER B that money on the open market. He would have likely signed a prove it deal. 

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be outraged over keeping Enunwa for 4 years, 36 million when half of you b*tching about it right now were advocating for giving him no more than 8-9 million a couple of weeks ago. When the rumors came out and I said that I love Q, but those are the only numbers I was comfortable with, given his injury history and how much money he was poised to make on the open market due to WR demand and the CAP increasing, I was given plenty of positive rep, and pretty much everyone agreed that a salary like that is the only one that they would be comfortable with as well.  One particular person complaining in this thread said that it is exactly what Maccagnan should do, but won't do, given his history.  Now that person, and many others, are crying about doing exactly what they wanted Maccagnan to do with him. 

This means nothing when it comes to Anderson too.  He has played significantly better lately, but needs to prove he can be more consistent and also stay out of trouble for one whole off-season.  He was never getting a long-term deal over the tender.

Overall, I still dislike Maccagnan, but keeping a great guy in the locker room, who has just had a horrible run of bad luck with injuries this season, who is extremely versatile, is Sam's favorite WR when he's on the field, below what the going rate is for WRs (10-14 million), price-wise, is not something I am going to complain about.  Also, put Quincy in LA's offense, or just about any other offense that actually schemes their WRs wide open, not only will he put up monster numbers, he'll take less big hits and, likely, stay healthy.

This!

Best post in this thread. Thanks!

PLAYER A has earned the extension. Nobody is paying PLAYER B that money on the open market. He would have to sign a prove it deal. 

Yeah, you're wrong there. Q was paid market value. 

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

PLAYER B isn't worth that contract. Why bid against yourself for a player who can't stay healthy? Why let a spineless GM give extensions when he should be fired on New Year's Eve? 

Because the WR situation is overall just that s#it at the moment. From an in house perspective there's only one other player worth this and he's under contract if they want him, and from an out of house perspective there's a draft light with receivers and a free agent market even lighter with them.

There are no guarantees of upgrades, but there's a lot of cap space to play around with and he's shown the slightest spark with the probable QB of the future, so.... here we are.

It is a risk and they shouldn't clasp their hands and say "done" at WR for next year, but it's the right time to take that risk and I don't think they'll rest on their laurels on this one. It's just step one.

Let's face it, with so many holes on the roster getting a #1 receiver will not be plausible this offseason.  Instead, Mac is going to try to fill the roster with several tier 2 guys.  Q is one of them.  Yes, he's a bit of a health risk but not enough to let him walk.  If he adds a Moncrief type this receiver corp will be formidable for Sam.  If Q stays healthy in 2019 he will be one of the most underpaid players in '20 and '21.  Worth the risk.

The main thing I've noticed about Sam since he's back is how he's making everyone on the offense better.  AS A ROOKIE!  Suddenly the OL is pass blocking.  Suddenly Anderson is a real receiving threat.  Suddenly Herndon has arrived.  That is simply remarkable for a rook.  If Mac can get another 2 tier 2 guys, Sam will blossom even more next year.  He lit up the Packers with only Robby Anderson and Herndon as legitimate threats.  The priority in 2020 will be to get a true #1.   

Mac knows he has to fill the OL and OLB/DL holes in '19 or he won't have a 2020 season to work with.

21 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

PLAYER A is 25 years and 234 days old. He stands 6' 3" and weighs 190 lbs soaking wet. He's caught 15 touchdowns in 45 games for the New York Jets. For his entire career with the Jets he caught 54.7% of the balls he's been targeted with. PLAYER A has started to develop a chemistry with the Jets young quarterback Sam Darnold by hauling in 20 receptions for 312 yds and 3 touchdowns. He was targeted 31 times in those 3 games good for a 64.5% catch percentage.

PLAYER B is 26 years and 212 days old. He stands 6' 2" and weighs a whopping 225 lbs. He's been with the New York Jets since the great John Idzik drafted him in 2014. Due to a neck injury he missed an entire season in 2017. He's caught 5 touchdowns in 40 games for the New York Jets. For his entire career with the Jets he's caught 53.9% of the balls he's been  targeted with. PLAYER B hasn't played since week 14, and hasn't had one game over 100 yds this season. 

Mike Maccagan's final gift to the Jets was to sign PLAYER B to a massive extension.

Bad analogy.

For one, player B wasnt signed to a "massive extension".  He was given the extension that anyone should have expected he would get.  Why do fans want talent and expect to not have to pay for it?  

Player A has nothing to do with it.  Who cares about Anderson, the whole point is whether Enunwa is worth keeping.  When did it become one over the other?  As Slats said Anderson is ours if we want him.  Add in that Enunwa doesnt leave you worried that he'll do something stupid and spend the rest of his career behind bars.  

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

PLAYER A has earned the extension. Nobody is paying PLAYER B that money on the open market. He would have to sign a prove it deal. 

PLayer A's extension has nothing to do with Player B's.  We still need a Player C, Player D & Player E.

Player B got market value and would never be expected to sign a sign and prove it deal.  Wasnt happening 

We're crying over a garden variety middle of the road contract for the position, not even close to a "massive extension"

36 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Those stats I presented are FACTS. Look up Robby and Mr. Glass' stats.

Not really seeing the facts you think you posted.  

Theyre your opinions, I get that.  That you think the guy who, as of todays deal, is the 39th highest paid WR just signed a "massive extension" says your facts might not be as accurate as you think

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not really seeing the facts you think you posted.  

Theyre your opinions, I get that.  That you think the guy who, as of todays deal, is the 39th highest paid WR just signed a "massive extension" says your facts might not be as accurate as you think

T, those stats are FACTS man. I get it, you are happy Mac gave 20 million guaranteed to a guy whose been here 5 years and has 5 touchdowns receptions. Let's just agree to disagree. It's a beautiful thing. Hope you and your family have a happy new year! Go Jets in 2019.

T, those stats are FACTS man. I get it, you are happy Mac gave 20 million guaranteed to a guy whose been here 5 years and has 5 touchdowns receptions. Let's just agree to disagree. It's a beautiful thing. Hope you and your family have a happy new year! Go Jets in 2019.

He wasnt given a "massive extension" which is the basis for the entire rant you've been on.  He isnt over paid and what hes paid has nothing to do with Anderson.  The rest is splitting hairs, theyre two different WRs who play two different games.  I dont get the point of trying to complain over stats as fact when they prove nothing. 

Its not that big a deal to not agree.  Very little of this is fact based.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

True.  But some stats tell nothing.  Especially averages over only 4 seasons, one of which he had 0 receptions.

How about this.  His last season he had 850 or so yards.  Led the team in receptions and yardage. And if McCown didnt get hurt and miss the last 3.5 games would have easily passed 1,000 yards. 

Or that this season, making it his last 2 seasons, hes led the team in receptions.  

So yeah, keep spewing meaningless numbers 

It’s what his stats are. I don’t make them up. He has 5 career TDs over 5 years and has one plus hundred yard receiving game. What seasons did he lead the team in receptions? This year he’s probably going to end up 4th, last year he didn’t play, the year before that he was tied second with Powell. 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He wasnt given a "massive extension" 

I'm sorry but 20 million guaranteed for 5 touchdowns over 5 years is a massive extension for a injury prone JAG.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Very little of this is fact based.

But all those stats I showed for Robby Anderson (PLAYER A) and Quincy Enunwa (PLAYER B ) are facts. No emotion. Just facts.

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s what his stats are. I don’t make them up. He has 5 career TDs over 5 years and has one plus hundred yard receiving game. What seasons did he lead the team in receptions? This year he’s probably going to end up 4th, last year he didn’t play, the year before that he was tied second with Powell. 

Hard to justify giving Q that extension. Robby has only been here for 3 years and has put up 3 times as many touchdowns as Q. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

He is injury prone but the contract we signed him to is reasonable. We got him on a contract where he would be underpaid if he were healthy the whole time which is a possibility. If he gets hurt and doesn't play the contract is bad of course but that could be the case for any player and quite frankly there really aren't any better receivers this year in free agency. I believe if we let him walk he would have gotten a better offer elsewhere.

It was flatly stated that one reason he signed here was he and his agent were worried about what he would be offered due to the injuries.

It is very risky because Enunwa got the injury guarantee he wanted. 

Hey I think most people like the player, when he is playing.  People against this deal think it is a high price commitment to make vs his ability to play.

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’s also played with nothing but trash garbage heap of qbs like Fitz, Geno and Petty before playing with a rookie this year

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He wasnt given a "massive extension" which is the basis for the entire rant you've been on.  He isnt over paid and what hes paid has nothing to do with Anderson.  The rest is splitting hairs, theyre two different WRs who play two different games.  I dont get the point of trying to complain over stats as fact when they prove nothing. 

Its not that big a deal to not agree.  Very little of this is fact based.

$20 million guaranteed isn’t a lot of money in today’s nfl when total JAGs will be getting significantly more this offseason 

And I’m a Mac-hater, biggest one on this messageboard

27 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

And the stats youre point out are pointless, having nothing to do with what hes worth.  

I assume that no one would not understand this and is just trolling.  

It was flatly stated that one reason he signed here was he and his agent were worried about what he would be offered due to the injuries.
It is very risky because Enunwa got the injury guarantee he wanted. 
Hey I think most people like the player, when he is playing.  People against this deal think it is a high price commitment to make vs his ability to play.
I still think he could have done better as a free agent even with the injury history. Look at who else is available there are really only a few guys I would even want to sign and one of them is Robby Anderson who I would have liked to cut early in the season. Enunwa was one of the better free agents at the position this year was the only point I am trying to make though

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I still think he could have done better as a free agent even with the injury history. Look at who else is available there are really only a few guys I would even want to sign and one of them is Robby Anderson who I would have liked to cut early in the season. Enunwa was one of the better free agents at the position this year was the only point I am trying to make though

The people bashing this extension haven’t seen the list of JAGs and scrap heap bums available on the market this offseason 

Archived